• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rank each Game Awards show so far?

Bakkus

Personally, I don't remember much of the first one in 2014. I do have a faint recollection of watching it, but I do not remember anything that happened. 2015 I thought was a pretty good show with a lot of heart put in to it by Keighley. The non scripted remark that Kojima was not allowed by Konami to attend was an incredible moment. 2016 however was a shit show, with embarrassing sketches and rap/musical numbers all over the place and they even got Kyle Bosman to do an cringe advertisement. However, Keighley seemed to have learned from that and the 2017 and 2018 ones were both alright and I remember there were some decent announcements in those aswell. 2019, however...eh, I felt we regressed back a bit to 2016. Not as bad, but there sure were a lot of things really bad about it. And I wasn't interested in any of the announcements either. One thing I do like however about all the shows is how most the award winners all feel very genuine by being themselves instead of all those fake speeches we get from the other award shows.

What do you think of all the award shows so far?

TaroYamada

I've only watched one year before this, I didn't think much of it. This year was genuinely good and I'll tune in again next year.

angelic

Banned
I used to like them, but now they're fucking terrible. Corporate cuck shows and back slapping cronyism.

Shifty1897

The pretentious musical performances, the shoveled in esports awards, the combination of suits and sneakers, the liberal slant.

Nothing about the game awards speaks to me, or (I believe) most gamers. It's the same reason no one watches the Oscars.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The pretentious musical performances, the shoveled in esports awards, the combination of suits and sneakers, the liberal slant.

Nothing about the game awards speaks to me, or (I believe) most gamers. It's the same reason no one watches the Oscars.

It seems they have more awards for eSports, Streamers, YouTubers than for actual games. I think last year was worst since it seemed like they televised more of that crap with Ninja, the eSports and the Furry guy all being presented during the actual show along with acceptance speeches like the really weird one from that stupid Furry streamer/YouTuber or whatever the hell he is and just barely even mentioned so many of the actual game awards.

Aion002

Meh.

Some good reveals, too many commercials, weird moments, too long, why the fuck there are musical performances and clearly paid winners....

Meh... It could be worse... I guess..

mortal

Gold Member
The actual awards have always been an after thought. It's too fucking commercialized. There's so little focus on celebrating the creators involved in the actual development of a game.

I only care about the latest trailers and announcements, which tells you where the focus of the so called game awards really lies.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Its the rock bottom of gaming entertainment.
The worst of all shows all year long.
Yet i still watch every one of them since 2008 formerly known as spike vga lol.

I dont know how to feel about it but i am glad it exists. Its good for the industry just get away with all the streamers, youtubers.
More devs ,more behind the scene stuff, less stars who have nothing to do with gaming .
And bring back Samuel jackson . That shit was crazy.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

2010 is the best of course!
>HE WAS FUCKING WITH ME

Make sure to read the comments too

One of my favorite cringe videos! Didn't AngryJoe also make a video where he was "crying" over the death of JewWario even though he never met him? They mentioned it on SleepyCast, but never could find it.

Joe comes off cringe here.
Are there times when he doesn't? haha

On topic: I feel bad, but I'd rank all the VGAs I watch pretty low. Like Ds and Fs. They are all very bloated, and just draaaaaag. Geoff Kneighly seems like a really cool, passionate and professional guy. If he can trim the fat of his show, not hype up big reveals that end up being PS2 Fast and Furious games, that could go a long way. I also feel shitty about streamers getting awards alongside actual game designers. Streamers and, ugh, "esports" "athletes" should get their own, separate show.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
One of my favorite cringe videos! Didn't AngryJoe also make a video where he was "crying" over the death of JewWario even though he never met him? They mentioned it on SleepyCast, but never could find it.
Yeah, and it was even fucking monetized until people called him out. He claimed it was an accident though. I can't find a reupload of it anywhere.

Geoff Kneighly seems like a really cool, passionate and professional guy.
For some reason I kinda like Geoff. He actually seems like he actually likes video games.

SuperGooey

For some reason I kinda like Geoff. He actually seems like he actually likes video games.
He's definitely genuine. I'm always rooting for him, so I feel bad about despising his shows. Haha! Honestly, pacing the show better by cutting the more obnoxious fluff out would go a loooong way in improving the VGAs.

Mista

Banned
He doesn’t seem, he actually does love video games. But cunts over here keeps on mocking him because he has a good relationship with Kojima

The Game Awards are great fun if your idea of fun is watching industry figures suck each other off for 3 hours. I've watched every single one so far, always hoping there'd be some trailer or announcement I actually care about (this year I wanted Elden Ring gameplay), but the show seemingly never fails to disappoint in that regard.

brap

Banned
The Game Awards are great fun if your idea of fun is watching industry figures suck each other off for 3 hours. I've watched every single one so far, always hoping there'd be some trailer or announcement I actually care about (this year I wanted Elden Ring gameplay), but the show seemingly never fails to disappoint in that regard.
Seems like that's on you, bud. They showed off plenty of new games this year.

Dlacy13g

A little long for my taste, I think they could bring it to 2 hours total and that would be solid. I did like this years overall feel. I think it was a good balance of awards and showcase which this show will always need to be successful. On the music front... less of the Green Day type on stage concert stuff and more of the orchestra playing to the trailers. Also, put all presenters on stage including Geoff... having them off to the side of the stage with the audience backs basically to them felt off when they were giving awards or announcements. Overall grade for this year: B

Seems like that's on you, bud. They showed off plenty of new games this year.
Well, duh. Of course it's on me. I only buy one or two games a year, and unless there's a From Software games coming out, neither of them are likely to be big name titles. I'm obviously not their target audience. I'm not mad at them for failing to cater to my specific tastes, I'm mostly just mad at myself for still finding an excuse to watch every year.

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't really rank them but I would say 2018 is without a doubt the most memorable for me due to the Red Dead 2 music live.

Gargus

Banned
As an awards show it makes no sense. Why is half of it ads and trailers?

Because ALL awards shows exist for one single reason only and that is to make money.

Awards shows are a business and a pitiful few people realize that. So much importance is heaped on awards shows by people but they only exist to make a profit for someone. Why else would anyone go to the trouble of all this shit and not gain anything?

Guest appearances, musicians, celebrity appearances, lighting, cameras,presenters, sound equipment, people to set things up, food, the camera man, transportation, everything costs money to do. And how is money made to pay for it and made to pay the people who set it all up enough to make it worth them setting it all up? Advertising and companies that pay to have their product featured.

Hell when the Oscar's is on its 2.6 million dollars for a 30 second commercial slot. I god damn well guarantee Microsoft paid some hefty dollars to unveil xbox one x series x xsystem x on there.

Awards shows are a business and nothing more. Without people watching they cant get advertising dollars right? So why would you watch something designed to not offend, not be honest, and trying to please everyone by catering to them? They cant do anything that most people won't agree with because they need viewers. It's all a sham to get people to watch something of 0 value so they get money.

Top Bottom