• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

newsguy

Way to repost this OP. I jumped on it last night, but now I have to hunt down an oculus at a brick and more tar store in April

Quonny

Saaaaame. That and I've never built a computer before, so I think it'd be a good experience.

I mean this is like 6th time they've had this deal in about as many months, so I can always wait for next time.

Yup. I've decided to wait. We're so close, and the build won't be done unti mid-April. I can suffer with my 7 year old PC for a while longer.

Nipo

Lots of people saying this deal always come back around. So... waiting for something like 1080Ti and getting it for this price soon after it comes out isn't farfetched then?

I think I'll wait.

If it is anything like the 980Ti they didn't offer it for 4-5 months after it was released. If you wait long enough though it will likely come around in the next 12 months.

emugod

Neo Member
256 SSD + 1TB worth it? will probably cost more than buying elsewhere and installing yourself, but i'm not sure how easy transferring over the windows install would be. but if you just select the 256SSD as the primary they should automatically install everything there, right?

sh4mike

Can the stock 500w PSU handle a 980 ti, 512GB SSD, and dual 1TB internal HDDs?

Spec:

•32GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (4x8GB) RAM
•1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 2nd HDD
•1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 Hard Drive
•SuperMulti DVD Burner
•500W Power supply
•Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS
•HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 with Bluetooth M.2 NIC (Stone Peak 1)
•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K quad-core processor [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]
•512GB 3D SSD

Karamsoul

For those still deciding on this deal, I received my computer from the last HP deal. This thing is an absolute BEAST. Do not miss this opportunity.

MBison

So will this deal last for more than a few days? Because I'm really tempted to jump on it.

The danger in waiting is if they run out of 980ti. That's why happened last time. The deal was active but the customize option did not include 980ti. You should decide as soon as possible.

So will this deal last for more than a few days? Because I'm really tempted to jump on it.

When I made the previous thread it was after a day the deal went up and the next day they went out of 980Ti's, and I think the coupon only lasted for another day. This time I think I managed to post it on the same day the deal went up. And this time the VR subreddits didn't latch onto it. So, who knows how much longer this will last.

I bought one. I have it in the box still. For such a small thing it comes in an insanely huge box. Waiting for a desk/chair and monitor right now so it'll have to remain inside.

Are you sure it's small? The specs listed on the page of the dimensions doesn't sound small. It certainly is bigger than my current gaming PC and won't fit in the place that I'd like it to go. The size is one of the reasons I'm not ordering it.

Saganator

Are you sure it's small? The specs listed on the page of the dimensions doesn't sound small. It certainly is bigger than my current gaming PC and won't fit in the place that I'd like it to go. The size is one of the reasons I'm not ordering it.

Yeah the pictures are a bit deceiving. It's 21 inches deep which is more than a typical mini tower case, however everything else is pretty typical (for a mini tower). Hopefully people are checking out the dims.

I purchased this computer the last time this deal came around and have been happy with it (although I'm only a couple days in).

My setup is:
i7 6700k
980ti
16GB RAM
256GB SSD (Boot)
2TB Hybrid (Steam)

The case is very cramped, but setup well for the space they had to work with. The GPU is well supported, which was a concern I had going into this. I added the 2TB SSHD, and the cramped space made it harder than working with my prior rig, but not impossible.

This computer is a huge step up from my old Alienware R3 (i7 2600k, 8GB 1333 RAM, 560ti). I'd be surprised if a better value could be found. I did a lot of research, and this was even cheaper than me doing my own build. Already ordered a Vive and am now ready for VR.

IzzyF3

If it is anything like the 980Ti they didn't offer it for 4-5 months after it was released. If you wait long enough though it will likely come around in the next 12 months.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'll be fine waiting especially after reading about some of the rumored improvements on Pascal.

Anyone have a link of a How To video of someone installing an SSD in this exact case or something like it? I saw a post last thread and it looks a bit more difficult than expected, so I think that would be a really helpful link in the OP. It wold also really help me :)

And for the pc noobs in this thread, I am totally clueless but bought this last time the deal was around. Just hooked it up the other day and even in just 1080p Batman:AK is the most beautiful gaming experience I've ever had. Can't wait to get some more games to take advantage of this

IJoel

I upgraded to this PC, the last time the offer was available, from a Q6600 with a 570 card. Massive improvement. The thing almost melts benchmarks.

It's very very quiet, but that's because the GPU fan settings are very laid back. Basically waits until the GPU gets near 80F before really ramping up the speed. I set up RivaTuner to have a more conservative fan speed to prevent the GPU from exceeding 80F.

border

I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.....I have enough money, but want to have more in case of a rainy day :(

I really want to jump on this but in the back of my head I know I'm still always going to need a laptop so I shouldn't bother, but man that's a good deal.

impact

Banned
good deal for those who want to jump into PC gaming but are afraid to build a rig

perfect timing too, what with how the consoles are looking

It's a great computer, but it stopped seeing the included SSD drive for me after about 16 hours. Fortunately I had a year warranty, so after 90 minutes on tech support its going back for a repair.

For those still deciding on this deal, I received my computer from the last HP deal. This thing is an absolute BEAST. Do not miss this opportunity.

The CPU and GPU are $1k alone from NewEgg right now.

This is absolutely a deal. I have an Oculus preordered and not sure my current system will do the trick. This guarantees it.

If you're on the boat for PC VR, regardless of which flavor, this thing will run it and you'd be very challenged to build the same system for less on your own.

Azull

Fuck US Only...Even if it wasn't this would come out to be $1466.45 in Canadian. My GPU died last week after 6 years strong so this was like beam of light and hope for a split second :\.

manfestival

yeah so I missed out on this the last time. real shame cause I was actually shopping but already bought parts when it showed up previously.

Applied for hp preferred got qualified and wasn't sure so if I wanted the computer so backed out....got an email from hp preferred thanking me for my purchase, wth

OmegaDL50

Quick question from someone who's an idiot when it comes to computer parts: on the box for my 980ti it says minimum 600W power supply, so I'm confused at the 500W in this PC?

Just remember the recommended PSU for any graphics card listed on the box is for the ENTIRE system plus the graphics card, not just the graphics card by itself.

Even so even a single GTX 980 TI system at maximum load would barely draw 450w from the wall even under the most demanding circumstances.

In fact the PC I put together at PCpartpicker together suggests 450w PSU that has a GTX 980 Ti, yet I'm opting for a 550w unit.

So yeah 600w isn't necessary. Maybe for SLI perhaps, but not a single GTX 980 Ti on it's own.

It's smaller then my old computer from 2001. That one weighs like 50lbs, and looks like a giant brick. This is like 20ish lbs and not very big.

Varg

Banned
Deal seems right up my alley but that power supply seems like hot garbage. Anyone who received it last time, does it seem easy to replace the power supply from that case ? Only thing keeping me from getting it

LOLCats

Banned
For those without the know how this is nice. Others with bargain shopping capacity and system build knowledge will cringe though. So much OEM inside.

Kieli

For those without the know how this is nice. Others with bargain shopping capacity and system build knowledge will cringe though. So much OEM inside.

Erm. Short of stealing these from the warehouses, I don't see how you can get much better of a deal.

The video card along would cost about $1000 where I live. Paying an additional 1127 for a case, I7-6700, PSU, RAM, HD, etc... is absolutely bargain bin.

Darkrider

Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to put together a PC for less. As mentioned above, the CPU/GPU are almost a grand by themselves.

Deal seems right up my alley but that power supply seems like hot garbage. Anyone who received it last time, does it seem easy to replace the power supply from that case ? Only thing keeping me from getting it
I don't think it would be easy to swap power supplies at all. I think you'd need to do a full case swap (and maybe MOBO) at that point.

LOLCats

Banned
Erm. Short of stealing these from the warehouses, I don't see how you can get much better of a deal.

The video card along would cost about $1000 where I live. Paying an additional 1127 for a case, I7-6700, PSU, RAM, HD, etc... is absolutely bargain bin.

oh, well i thought it was for US customers...

i put this together in seconds. And by shopping at Frys with promocodes and slickdeals for deals on components you could easily get this down to 1150$

b44dbba.png

IJoel

Some benchmarks I got from mine.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AOYQqmUGc_tNUzI&v=3&ithint=photo,png
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AOlhmf6qTCpdaSs&v=3&ithint=photo,png
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ABSrPw6xutEFVus&v=3&ithint=photo,png

With respect to temps, after tweaking the GPU fan settings, the max temp for the GPU during benchmarking was 76C. For the CPU it was 56C or so.

Out of the box, without GPU fan speed tweaks, the GPU reached around 84C.

My only suggestion is that you pony up for the SSD or plan to install one you buy yourself. Don't saddle such a powerful machine with a glacially slow mechanical HDD.

Top Bottom