• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

I bought it and am using it now. I am pleased with the purchase. I don't have any interest in over clocking though. The gpu runs warm in this case as is. I made a custom fan curve and I get 100% load at about 75C.

Goddamn if only I needed a new PC, this is the sickest PC deal I've ever seen. You ain't going to custom build a cheaper PC with a monster that is the 980ti!

Uggghhhhhhhhh I won't have the money to buy a PC until June and this is literally perfect for what I want. Hopefully it comes back around again.

Gee willikers, this is as tempting as a fudge sundae on a fudge brownie with fudge sauce. I've been thinking about buying a gaming PC for several months now and this is hard to pass up. $1343 with 980ti, 6700K, and 512GB SSD.

Cursor hovering over the purchase button...

EDIT: Free returns? Fuck it, I'm pulling the trigger. Bring on the buyer's remorse!

OmegaDL50

Can you gut the internals and put it in another case?

Don't see why not

Might be better off if the case you have has a better cooling solution.

Although you might run into some minor problems if the OEM motherboard doesn't have a backplate for your case that is reusable from the OEM case.

Would you mind posting a screen of your curve for us?

It's not sophisticated, the default curve just doesn't kick the fan in early enough.

G7cb4DJ.png

If smarter people have suggestions, I'd love to see them.

[In case anyone's a super PC noob like me: This is using MSI Afterburner which is a software based GPU Overclocking program. I don't do any OC, but you can set a software fan speed curve using it as well. I also use it to monitor CPU and GPU Temps and loads.]

Emarv

Why would you say that? I thought Pascal cards are coming later this year.
Last GAF thread on the rumors showed this year having GDDR5X cards instead of HBM2 cards, meaning Big Pascal might be a little further than we expect. Some are guessing 1070/1080 cards this year, which means Ti versions are definitely 2017 at the earliest.

It's not sophisticated, the default curve just doesn't kick the fan in early enough.

G7cb4DJ.png

If smarter people have suggestions, I'd love to see them.

[In case anyone's a super PC noob like me: This is using MSI Afterburner which is a software based GPU Overclocking program. I don't do any OC, but you can set a software fan speed curve using it as well. I also use it to monitor CPU and GPU Temps and loads.]

cool thanks. I'll keep it in mind in the event performance becomes uninspiring.

Thinking of doing this but with the 970 rather than the 980i to bring the price down a bit. Total is 927.00 with the 970. Thoughts? Anything wrong with this?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thinking of doing this but with the 970 rather than the 980i to bring the price down a bit. Total is 927.00 with the 970. Thoughts? Anything wrong with this?
Buy the 980Ti and sell it to me.

jaaz

Guys, I have one of these. Bought it last sale. Upgraded to the 6700k and the 256 SSD. It's basic, but it's the real deal. The 980TI alone is about 66% of the price of this PC. It is a ridiculous bargain.

Tenck

I'd just bite the bullet and go with the 980ti. It'll last longer and when you sell it you'll get more than the 970 when you upgrade.

IzzyF3

Last GAF thread on the rumors showed this year having GDDR5X cards instead of HBM2 cards, meaning Big Pascal might be a little further than we expect. Some are guessing 1070/1080 cards this year, which means Ti versions are definitely 2017 at the earliest.

Whaaaa?!?! I thought it was going to be the HBM2 cards this year. I might as well bite the bullet now then... That's a lot of money still. Gotta think about this.

Some pics:

vD0PkAU.jpg

That cooler is interesting. Did you get the i7 6700 or the i7 6700K? I know the K doesn't come with a stock cooler at least for consumers, so maybe that is the aftermarket cooler they use or is that what stock coolers look like these days?

I got the 6700K and the coler does not look stock, I don't know what it does. it never gets hot when I'm using it. Never seen it about 48 or so. that's running games and programs at the same time. I assume if I video edited it would be harder.

I would honestly rather pay $300 - $400 more to avoid dealing with an HP product. The PC has a great processor and video card but besides those I would likely want to replace everything else.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Tempted to get this. My PC is from 2010 but still functions OK. It's showing its age for gaming though and would need something better for VR.

I was planning on waiting for Pascal.

I would honestly rather pay $300 - $400 more to avoid dealing with an HP product. The PC has a great processor and video card but besides those I would likely want to replace everything else.

As I understand it, you might still be ahead even if you only kept the hard drive cpu and gpu after the price, but it is a reference model.

Erm. Short of stealing these from the warehouses, I don't see how you can get much better of a deal.

The video card along would cost about $1000 where I live. Paying an additional 1127 for a case, I7-6700, PSU, RAM, HD, etc... is absolutely bargain bin.

980Ti's go for around 600-700 in NA. I'm working on a build now and while you can't do an i7 6700k and 980ti build for the same amount as this deal, the trade off is more customization and (potentially) better quality parts.

A few days ago Microcenter had i7 6700ks for $314, and a deal for $20 off a compatible motherboard. The cpu/mobo bundle I chose came out to like $385, tax included.
Doing some Jet.com magic, you could get a 980Ti for about 520 (the cheapest one they have is $613; you get $13 off for waiving the buyer's remorse return protection, $50 for using a first time purchase code, and you can apparently contact Newegg for a The Division code since Jet.com gets all their gpus from them and leaves the original Newegg invoice in the box, the code can then be sold for $30 easy).

When I plugged those prices into the build I'm working on, it came out to like 1350, and the HP computer was 1280~ with GA tax included. That includes a card for wireless, but no OS. The total for my build w/o those deals is currently 1430.

BUT all that is moot if you aren't in NA, or if you don't have Microcenter within a decent distance, you miss the deal, etc etc. But if you've got some luck, the right stores nearby or willing to ship to you, you can make something that's hopefully a bit more decent for a little more.

That's probably the longest post I've made on this forum ever.
TL;DR this is a great deal that saves you the hassle of bargain hunting and assembly if you're not into that, with extreme deal searching you can make something just as good/better but yeah it'll still be 150-200 bucks more.

Tempted to get this. My PC is from 2010 but still functions OK. It's showing its age for gaming though and would need something better for VR.

I was planning on waiting for Pascal.

You could easily sell the 980Ti when the new cards come out though, it's not like it's going to lose that much value.

Jamaro85

I had no intention of getting something as powerful as a 980 Ti in my upcoming new build, but for the price this is insanely alluring.

PC GAF, would something like this be complete overkill if I likely intended to hook it up to a HDTV to use primarily for PCSX2 (specifically the Ar tonelico 2 re-translation since it's not really feasible to mod my old PS2), along with playing PC-only games via Steam Big Picture? Those games wouldn't be nothing too crazy, i.e. stuff like the Ys, Trails in the Sky, etc., nothing crazy demanding as I have my consoles for that.

Not sure if I'd get into VR since 3D and the like kinda makes my eyes hurt before, but I dunno. Was somewhat tempted at this deal since it was already all pre-built (not really into building one myself, due to stress-related issues stemming from an accident a while ago), but if it's really overkill I can look at other stuff.

PC GAF, would something like this be complete overkill if I likely intended to hook it up to a HDTV to use primarily for PCSX2 (specifically the Ar tonelico 2 re-translation since it's not really feasible to mod my old PS2), along with playing PC-only games via Steam Big Picture? Those games wouldn't be nothing too crazy, i.e. stuff like the Ys, Trails in the Sky, etc., nothing crazy demanding as I have my consoles for that.

Not sure if I'd get into VR since 3D and the like kinda makes my eyes hurt before, but I dunno. Was somewhat tempted at this deal since it was already all pre-built (not really into building one myself, due to stress-related issues stemming from an accident a while ago), but if it's really overkill I can look at other stuff.

yes it would be complete overkill.

Top Bottom