• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope those of you who managed to order it will report back how it's going once you got it.
I plan to, and already subscribed to this thread so I can come back once I've been able to spend some time with it. My i7 2600k/8GB Ram/560ti started showing its age a few years ago, and I'm looking forward to playing multi-plats on PC once again.

I put a order for one with a 980 ti and I'm kind of having a dilemma . Before this deal came up I was in the market for a gaming laptop for around a grand and was likely going to get the alienware 13 and use graphics amplifier when cards got cheaper. Ive been pretty happy just playing my X1 and PS4 and wanted a gaming laptop just to be able to play some PC games every now and then . Why did it have to be such a good deal lol

That desktop is gonna shit all over any laptop, especially one anywhere close to the price you paid for it, plus you can still get tthe laptop later and use the GPU from this set if you want but i dont really see the point in doing that...

newsguy

I have a simple question for those who know about these things. This is an "Oculus ready" PC.

16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

What I want is a PC that will run current and near future games at max settings at 1080p. Eventually I will use it for the Oculus. Will these specs suffice?

Kolgar

I put a order for one with a 980 ti and I'm kind of having a dilemma . Before this deal came up I was in the market for a gaming laptop for around a grand and was likely going to get the alienware 13 and use graphics amplifier when cards got cheaper. Ive been pretty happy just playing my X1 and PS4 and wanted a gaming laptop just to be able to play some PC games every now and then . Why did it have to be such a good deal lol

Man, this is my situation exactly. My original plan was to get a new gaming PC this year, but I have become so invested in console gaming (playing online with friends) that now I wonder how many games I would actually buy on PC.

Microsoft's convergence of Windows 10 and Xbox might make the timing of this deal fortuitous--playing Quantum Break on this PC would surely be awesome--or it may be some time before we know far they will take it.

My other concern is Pascal. However, I am not one to jump on the latest and most expensive graphics card, and unless I could find a deal like this, I would be unlikely to buy a Pascal-equipped PC for some time.

This is a great machine and a great deal, but I wonder if it is the right timing for me.

Man, this is my situation exactly. My original plan was to get a new gaming PC this year, but I have become so invested in console gaming (playing online with friends) that now I wonder how many games I would actually buy on PC.

Microsoft's convergence of Windows 10 and Xbox might make the timing of this deal fortuitous--playing Quantum Break on this PC would surely be awesome--or it may be some time before we know far they will take it.

My other concern is Pascal. However, I am not one to jump on the latest and most expensive graphics card, and unless I could find a deal like this, I would be unlikely to buy a Pascal-equipped PC for some time.

This is a great machine and a great deal, but I wonder if it is the right timing for me.

Playing online with friends is probably the main thing keeping me on consoles. I don't know anyone personally that has a gaming rig.

Its like on one side I imagine gaming on my 4ktv (or monitor they seem cheap enough) on ultra settings or whatever I want how good it would look . On the other I think I never had a problem playing on X1 or Ps4 before hell I even buy all my multiplats on X1.

Speaking of QB the buying X1 copy getting PC copy is what makes me want a gaming laptop. I don't see the point in having a X1 and pc coming when they both at home. If I can play QB on my X1 and then continue gaming on a laptop when I'm at work or out then that's something .

Iorv3th

I have a simple question for those who know about these things. This is an "Oculus ready" PC.

16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

What I want is a PC that will run current and near future games at max settings at 1080p. Eventually I will use it for the Oculus. Will these specs suffice?

The 970 might struggle with some games at max settings depending on what you want your framerate to be. It's a very good card though. Most stuff if not at max can be very close to it.

Shit I'm an idiot. I paid the extra $60 for the 256gb SSD thinking it was an add on, but it actually was a replacement for the HDD. I wonder if Customer Support can change that...

Hubble

I hope those of you who managed to order it will report back how it's going once you got it.

My friend has this and loves it. I saw it in person and really liked the size of the case. It is nicely medium small sized and not massive like a lot of gaming towers are. He also runs all of his games maxed out now and that is with a 1440p monitor.

Velikost

Sooooo PayPal didn't actually cancel my transaction (go figure), and now I'm on the line with their outsourced customer service and they're trying to tell me they can't cancel the order. I'm on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor, but this is going to end up being a major headache.

Fuck HP

Sooooo PayPal didn't actually cancel my transaction (go figure), and now I'm on the line with their outsourced customer service and they're trying to tell me they can't cancel the order. I'm on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor, but this is going to end up being a major headache.

Fuck HP
Why are you trying to cancel?

So, I spoke to their customer support (outsourced)---and you know what? She was damn good. Really helpful and all. There was an issue with my billing information, and they tried calling me. They didn't get a hold of me after multiple attempts, so that is why my order was canceled. My billing# they tried calling technically is no longer a number, and they didn't try my actual contact #. She claimed they have to get a hold of me on billing# for verification purposes. Either way, she conferenced in my bank customer support to verify all my information. She put a rush through on my order after it was all verified---but then she said they were going to call my billing# again in 30 minutes once things were processed to verify and get it put through for good. I let her know that they won't get a hold of anyone again and explained. She was good enough to put me on hold to go speak with this other department to get them to put my order through right then-and-there so I didn't have to wait for a call. She told me at least 3 times (without me having to ask) that they will honor my original price, which was great. However, when she finally came back on the line she said the 980Ti or whatever is out of stock so they couldn't place and I would need to replace it. I let her know I really wanted that card, and could the order be put on hold. Unfortunately it can't, but she gave me a number to call and let me know that if I watch for the 980 to come back in stock and call the number once it is, they will put my order back in then and still honor my price. Sucks that I have to do that, but it is partly my fault for not updating my billing # on my card. Overall, very impressed with their support. However, I don't have much confidence that card will come back in stock anytime soon.

mkenyon

Banned
I took his statement as fact, so I'd be interested in hearing why it's wrong.
It's just a fear that some people had at some point, because they didn't like the way it was bending. It then became kind of a false story that you needed to do it to protect them.

Heavy cards have never warped to the point that it damaged either the slot nor the card itself. It's a myth.

What's even *more* wrong is that it is a reference design, and those are typically much lighter than non-reference designs which have way more copper/alum than the reference coolers.

This is the card, installed, in question:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a card with sag:

BruceCLea

Banned
Listed as processing on my end.

Mine's processing as well. I called today and spoke with someone and they said it takes a while because they build the computer. I also called my bank and told them that I did in fact make the purchase just to make sure it'll go through and it wasn't fraudulent.

Here are my specs:

HP ENVY 750se Desktop PC
6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
Integrated Sound
6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]
24GB DDR4-2133 DIMM

Saro

Just spoke with a customer rep, They gave me a coupon code, equal to the 30℅ off one, to use that will stay active whenever I want to purchase a desktop from them! The rep even said I could wait till they get more 980ti's then order and get my discount!😄 Though they could not say when they are getting more 980ti's.

PayPal on the other hand is being a dick, my aunt took out a line of credit because I was short on cash and because she used the wrong cell number (my own) they told her that there are 'discrepancies' in her info. They went full 20 questions and froze her account till she sends some forms in. What's worse is that pending order is still there. HP told us to cancel it and PayPal can't untill the account is unfrozen.😥

Velikost

Because he left the contents in the cart for a night before deciding to order, only to see that after the checkout the GPU changed from the 980Ti to something worse.

Sort of. The site went down so I couldn't place my order. When it came back online, my build was still in my cart, so I went through checkout, it showed the proper build and price all the way through, and after I hit "Complete purchase," the price went down by like a hundred dollars, and it said I had chosen a 745 or whatever. It didn't even apply the discount properly, so I got fucked all around.

I escalated up to the third person, and they wouldn't let me go any higher without having to wait a full day for someone to call me. They claimed all they could do was send an e-mail to the factory to put a cancellation through, so I opted for that, as well as a call back.I just checked and I already got their bullshit email about how they "enter production quickly", and a cancellation isn't guaranteed. I'm sure I'll have to end up shipping this shit back.

Edit: Order cancelled. #Blessed

buscket

There is actually a new code, but they are all out of 980ti cards

Just spoke with a customer rep, They gave me a coupon code, equal to the 30℅ off one, to use that will stay active whenever I want to purchase a desktop from them! The rep even said I could wait till they get more 980ti's then order and get my discount!😄 Though they could not say when they are getting more 980ti's.

can you guys share the new code?

MBison

Yeah if the code isn't one time use, share the codeeeeee, if it is one time use, what did you say to get the code?

I want dat Phoenix

Saro

Yeah if the code isn't one time use, share the codeeeeee, if it is one time use, what did you say to get the code?

I want dat Phoenix

can you guys share the new code?

The customer rep guy tied my coupon to my HP account (which they made for me while we talked on the phone).

What I would suggest, and this should be for people who ordered and it either got cancelled/changed/didn't process, is call 866-246-0504, speak with a supervisor, and tell them you situation and that you want some way of holding that price since the coupon has expired. If they say you can purchase something right now, explain that the 980ti option is gone and ask if there is someway of securing the priceafter adding the coupon code in.You may need the coupon code in question.

MBison

Thanks.

Slickdeals has a coupon BMSM30 which says its 30% off Envy customized desktops. Exclusions apply though so I don't know what exclusions do apply. I tried it on the Phoenix, the Phoenix 860-170VX Desktop, and it didn't work.

Anyone know if that code works or why it wouldn't? I've seen it at Slickdeals and other coupon sites. Thanks!

I had to talk to a supervisor to have them take the 30% off the Phoenix but I think they only did it because I had ordered one of the regular Envys with a 980ti and they were sold out when it came time to process my order and that computer was the only one that even gave the option for that GPU. I got lucky but trust me I had to do a lot of bitching before they would do ANYTHING

Cbajd5

Thanks.

Slickdeals has a coupon BMSM30 which says its 30% off Envy customized desktops. Exclusions apply though so I don't know what exclusions do apply. I tried it on the Phoenix, the Phoenix 860-170VX Desktop, and it didn't work.

Anyone know if that code works or why it wouldn't? I've seen it at Slickdeals and other coupon sites. Thanks!
It should work, I got the same code in an e-mail from HP. Terms and conditions from the email with the code:

Purchase must be $1199 or more (before taxes and shipping). Valid on HP.com (hp.com) Internet, mobile, and call center purchases only. Coupon valid through the earlier of 2/27/2016 or while supplies last. Any unused portion will be forfeited. Each coupon code limited to one use per customer; one code per checkout. Offer void where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. Non-transferable. Not retroactively valid on previously purchased items. Not valid for any resale activity as defined by HP.com. Coupons may not be used to purchase gift cards. May not be permitted with certain bundle offers. Products and support acquired by customer under these terms are solely for customer's personal use and not for immediate resale or sublicensing. Not valid on Friends and Family program, HP employee purchase programs, refurbished products, HP services, HP ENVY Phoenix 860-180VR (T6W66AV#ABA), HP ENVY Phoenix 860-180VX (T6W67AV#ABA), HP Spectre, HP ENVY x360 15t (L8S90AV), and HP Pavilion 15t Gaming Laptop (M0U61AV), and Star Wars Special Edition Notebook. Offer not combinable with instant rebates.

I have little to no knowledge of PC gaming but have wanted to dive in for a while.

If I purchased this, would I be good to go?

I keep seeing people saying that the case needs to be changed? Is that actually necessary or just preferred?

newsguy

I have little to no knowledge of PC gaming but have wanted to dive in for a while.

If I purchased this, would I be good to go?

I keep seeing people saying that the case needs to be changed? Is that actually necessary or just preferred?

It's no longer available. You need to wait for the 980ti cards to come back in stock and the 30% of deal to return.

MBison

It should work, I got the same code in an e-mail from HP. Terms and conditions from the email with the code:

Purchase must be $1199 or more (before taxes and shipping). Valid on HP.com (hp.com) Internet, mobile, and call center purchases only. Coupon valid through the earlier of 2/27/2016 or while supplies last. Any unused portion will be forfeited. Each coupon code limited to one use per customer; one code per checkout. Offer void where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. Non-transferable. Not retroactively valid on previously purchased items. Not valid for any resale activity as defined by HP.com. Coupons may not be used to purchase gift cards. May not be permitted with certain bundle offers. Products and support acquired by customer under these terms are solely for customer's personal use and not for immediate resale or sublicensing. Not valid on Friends and Family program, HP employee purchase programs, refurbished products, HP services, HP ENVY Phoenix 860-180VR (T6W66AV#ABA), HP ENVY Phoenix 860-180VX (T6W67AV#ABA), HP Spectre, HP ENVY x360 15t (L8S90AV), and HP Pavilion 15t Gaming Laptop (M0U61AV), and Star Wars Special Edition Notebook. Offer not combinable with instant rebates.

Yeah that Phoenix isn't in there, what the hell. I'll try and call and see if I have any success. I'm sure there's some technicality that will come up.

If anyone else has any insight please share!

It's just a fear that some people had at some point, because they didn't like the way it was bending. It then became kind of a false story that you needed to do it to protect them.

Heavy cards have never warped to the point that it damaged either the slot nor the card itself. It's a myth.

What's even *more* wrong is that it is a reference design, and those are typically much lighter than non-reference designs which have way more copper/alum than the reference coolers.

This is the card, installed, in question:

Here's a card with sag:

It was way heavier than a ASUS strix card when I held both. I wasn't making shit up. And the reference cards have screw holes towards the end, I wonder why if you say they are "much" lighter than evga/asus/ watever.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks like New Egg is about to put this on sale for $59 is that a good deal for an SSD for the OS?
Yep.
It was way heavier than a ASUS strix card when I held both. I wasn't making shit up. And the reference cards have screw holes towards the end, I wonder why if you say they are "much" lighter than evga/asus/ watever.
The STRIX 980 Ti weighs right around 4 lbs. The Reference 980 Ti is right around 3 lbs.

I have no idea what you're talking about with screw holes.

I'm leaning towards a case/power supply swap. I'd appreciate opinions on:

1) Is this a bad idea for this hp model?
2) Any YouTube guides or similar for this pc?
3) If good on 1/2, case/power recommendations?

cakefoo

I'm leaning towards a case/power supply swap. I'd appreciate opinions on:

1) Is this a bad idea for this hp model?
2) Any YouTube guides or similar for this pc?
3) If good on 1/2, case/power recommendations?
Case swap is a popular choice with this machine.
Why the power supply swap though?

Anyone have any idea as to when the 980ti will be back on hp's website as one of the options?

Could be a while as now you can't even order the 980ti VR ready system that they are co-promoting with HTC. If you search for it, the listing is totally gone and only the R9 based version at $1699 is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom