• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Huh. I guess it may have been the heat. I just tried playing Dark Crusade on max and lo and behold my fan was quiet as a mouse. Same with Age of Empires. I admit my PC is located near the floor and is kinda in a bad spot and it does get pretty hot. It's usually 80 degrees in my house. That combined with poor ventilation and the heat may be the cause of my woes.

BFIB

Huh. I guess it may have been the heat. I just tried playing Dark Crusade on max and lo and behold my fan was quiet as a mouse. Same with Age of Empires. I admit my PC is located near the floor and is kinda in a bad spot and it does get pretty hot. It's usually 80 degrees in my house. That combined with poor ventilation and the heat may be the cause of my woes.
It happens quite often. I'd suggest a small office fan that you could point directly at the tower.

I'm not familiar with the cases these come in, but adding some additional fans as well?

Don Lapre

Turns out my shut down issues were a result of a defective PSU. HP replaced my system with a new one that is working correctly.

I ended up swapping the stock PSU with a more capable EVGA G2 I had laying around just for peace of mind. I tested over clocking +250core +450mem and with a custom fan curve my temps do not go over 75 which is just 1 degree hotter than without overclock. It really hasn't been needed so I'm leaving at stock, but it's nice to know the machine is able to handle some OC.

The stock psu is a Delta made 80+ unit. Should be very very good.

DirtyLarry

Yeah, that's good to hear. I replaced it with a 850w EVGA G2 for peace of mind.
How hard of an endeavor was doing this? I mean from just a pain in the ass perspective. I have built comps in the past so am fine with the actual doing it part, just wondering if they do anything to make it not easily accessible. I am at work right now bored or would just open up my case to see myself.

EDIT - Also, is this the Model you are referring to or something else?
I am very ready to swap mine out.

bradgnoyes

Neo Member
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread from the grave but I've been really curious how people are feeling about their not-so-new-anymore rigs? I was a dedicated console gamer for over 20 years and I've barely touched my consoles since I took advantage of this deal, so it's safe to say I'm pretty happy with it.

Also, I'm just curious if anyone has swapped out the 980ti for one of the 1000 series cards? By no means am I ready to upgrade, but I'm just interested to know if it was easy and if there were any issues, since I know these rigs aren't great for customizations and upgrades.

B.K.

I just ripped and Blu-Ray and I'm using Handbrake to encode it. My CPU core temperatures are bouncing between 85-95 degrees. I can hear the CPU fan revving up and slowing down every few seconds. Is that bad? Will it damage my system? I was trying this to see how quickly I can encode video. My last computer took longer than the actual video to encode. I'd like to rip and encode my DVDs/Blu-Rays, but not if it's going to damage the system.

Drewsky

Got this pc a while back and have been having an awesome time with it. Pretty big problem at the moment though: I got bf4 and after playing a short while it shuts the pc completely off and it won't come back on for a few minutes. I'm running afterburner because the heat issues were one thing that kept coming up in this thread, so my gpu temps are good. My best guess is it's my cpu overheating? I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Got this pc a while back and have been having an awesome time with it. Pretty big problem at the moment though: I got bf4 and after playing a short while it shuts the pc completely off and it won't come back on for a few minutes. I'm running afterburner because the heat issues were one thing that kept coming up in this thread, so my gpu temps are good. My best guess is it's my cpu overheating? I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Had the same problem and it was the power supply unit that comes with it. Bought a new larger unit from a good brand and it fixed it.

Havel

My money would be on the CPU overheating, or perhaps a power supply issue. You can make Afterburner show your CPU temps on your screen, so that should be your first port of call.

And just to be sure, what GPU temps were you getting?

Drewsky

My money would be on the CPU overheating, or perhaps a power supply issue. You can make Afterburner show your CPU temps on your screen, so that should be your first port of call.

And just to be sure, what GPU temps were you getting?

GPU temp was about 70 I think. The green light on the power supply was off and it wouldn't come on until I unplugged it and plugged it back in just now so I was thinking possibly power supply also.

How much of a pain was it swapping out the power supply?

Also I'm running it on ultra right now, I'm assuming turning everything to high may help until I get to fix the psu problem?

Havel

GPU temp was about 70 I think. The green light on the power supply was off and it wouldn't come on until I unplugged it and plugged it back in just now so I was thinking possibly power supply also.

How much of a pain was it swapping out the power supply?

Also I'm running it on ultra right now, I'm assuming turning everything to high may help until I get to fix the psu problem?

GPU temps are good, so this seems to be a CPU or power supply problem (most likely power supply though). Verify the CPU temps by running BF4 for a bit.

Changing the power supply is pretty easy, actually. Just gotta plug the cables into the respective slots/adapters in your PC.

Timu

I just ripped and Blu-Ray and I'm using Handbrake to encode it. My CPU core temperatures are bouncing between 85-95 degrees. I can hear the CPU fan revving up and slowing down every few seconds. Is that bad? Will it damage my system? I was trying this to see how quickly I can encode video. My last computer took longer than the actual video to encode. I'd like to rip and encode my DVDs/Blu-Rays, but not if it's going to damage the system.
Yikes, those are awfully high temps.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Same thing happened to me with the same exact PC from HP deal. Was playing a game that seemed to max my system out more than usual, temps were fine, but at the moment when it was most taxing the whole PC just shut down. It did this twice in the same area of the game. I think the psu they gave people wasnt high enough power. I tried slightly reducing fan speed and setting cpu perf to balanced and it hasnt shut off yet but im not happy about this. And inside the case is so damn tight for space i wouldnt even know how to go about replacing the psu.

Ryzaki009

Jeez and I thought my CPU hitting 75 while gaming was bad.

TheExodu5

Banned
Same thing happened to me with the same exact PC from HP deal. Was playing a game that seemed to max my system out more than usual, temps were fine, but at the moment when it was most taxing the whole PC just shut down. It did this twice in the same area of the game. I think the psu they gave people wasnt high enough power. I tried slightly reducing fan speed and setting cpu perf to balanced and it hasnt shut off yet but im not happy about this. And inside the case is so damn tight for space i wouldnt even know how to go about replacing the psu.

Yep sounds like the PSU is to blame there.

B.K.

Yikes, those are awfully high temps.

It's weird. As soon as I start encoding with Handbrake, the temperatures instantly jump up to the 80s, no matter what it's starting at. As soon as I stop Handbrake, the temperatures drop back down to the 20s-30s.

Timu

It's weird. As soon as I start encoding with Handbrake, the temperatures instantly jump up to the 80s, no matter what it's starting at. As soon as I stop Handbrake, the temperatures drop back down to the 20s-30s.
You might need to reapply thermal paste again.

Drewsky

Yeah I turned everything down to high and I was able to play for an hour and a half or so with no issues, so I'll probably just live with it for a while and hopefully in the near future replace the Psu. I don't think the psu would be too hard to replace. It's more the cpu cooler that I would worry I wouldn't have room for another kind from the crappy stock one, there really is very little room in the case. But I set up afterburner to show my cpu temps and they were running about 55-60 so it must be the psu.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yep, mine has shut off twice since I bought it from them. Back before they upped the PSU.

Man this sucks, they should send us new 500watt psu. Im stuck with the 400w one. Anyone know of a good psu off newegg thats 500-600 and is the same size as the psu in the HP Envy case? Im probably gonna buy that then. Cant stand knowing my beast PC is about to die on more taxing future games.

Edit- actually i just opened my case and it seems its actually a 500w psu, it says 'max power - 500w', HP brand 80plus bronze or whatever.

edit2; im curious you guys shutting down, can you definitely say you have a 400w psu instead of the 500 one? Cause i bought 400 and they gave me 500 anyway.

Also, what are your power settings for windows? I was shutting down under High Performance mode, which causes cpu to always be at 100% and modifies the PCI-E slots to always drain full power, whereas balanced activates a power saving mode for both. Im doing more research and im gonna see if i can get it to shut down under these new conditions.

Oh and how high do you have your fan profile in afterburner set to?

Had mine since April.

Playing a LOT of OW on Epic, R6:Siege on Ultra and Rocket League on Ultra.

No issues to report at all.

It DOES tend to run hot when playing OW, even with custom fan curves, but that's the only noticeable thing I see and even then it's not a problem.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Had mine since April.

Playing a LOT of OW on Epic, R6:Siege on Ultra and Rocket League on Ultra.

No issues to report at all.

It DOES tend to run hot when playing OW, even with custom fan curves, but that's the only noticeable thing I see and even then it's not a problem.

Yeah mine is an April one too, but after maxing out a bunch of games, ironically Obduction is the only one that caused my shutdowns. I think its also the first Unreal 4 game i maybe have played. In the area in the clouds shit goes nuts. I think having ultra AA combined with the smoke effects turns everything to 1000. I got it to crash twice in the same spot after just standing there and looking at a certain area. I need to test the spot with the tweaks i did.

DrBo42

Man this sucks, they should send us new 500watt psu. Im stuck with the 400w one. Anyone know of a good psu off newegg thats 500-600 and is the same size as the psu in the HP Envy case? Im probably gonna buy that then. Cant stand knowing my beast PC is about to die on more taxing future games.

Edit- actually i just opened my case and it seems its actually a 500w psu, it says 'max power - 500w', HP brand 80plus bronze or whatever.

edit2; im curious you guys shutting down, can you definitely say you have a 400w psu instead of the 500 one? Cause i bought 400 and they gave me 500 anyway.

Also, what are your power settings for windows? I was shutting down under High Performance mode, which causes cpu to always be at 100% and modifies the PCI-E slots to always drain full power, whereas balanced activates a power saving mode for both. Im doing more research and im gonna see if i can get it to shut down under these new conditions.

Oh and how high do you have your fan profile in afterburner set to?

Checked and just like yours, mine is actually a 500w. Windows power is set to balanced.

Here's my MSI curve

aac5ac1358.png

System actually shut down during WoW. Imagine that shit. I've been playing Arkham Knight maxed at 1440p with no problem comparatively. Maybe it was a temp thing instead, summer was brutal here.

DirtyLarry

I thought it was a 500W PSU that came with all of them and they changed it to a 600W?
Am I remembering incorrectly?
Actually yep, it should have always been a 500W PSU on the older ones, I just went back and checked my history in this thread.

Anyway since it may have gotten lost as it is a couple of pages back, FYI I actually did contact HP when they upped the PSU to 600W and asked if they could just mail me one so I could swap it out.
As expected they declined, but they did offer to exchange everything completely.
I declined as I had already wiped all their software off with a clean install and did not want to go through any hassle, but they may still be willing to work with people even though it has been a few months.

The only other thing was I believe they were saying I would have had to cover the shipping costs back as well.

Ultimately I decided it was not worth the hassle. I have had one system freeze so far but no complete shut downs. So far it is treating me pretty good. I also still plan on stripping the whole thing soon and using the CPU as the basis of my own custom build one of these days. Perhaps not though if it keeps holding out.

EDIT - Perhaps I should add I do have the whole tower on top of my Desk. The room it is in gets pretty damn hot too but usually if I am in there using the PC I put a wall unit AC on (in the summer of course), so it gets pretty cool then. I do think having it on top of the desk helps a lot with the heat dissipation though. For me it was for practical reasons to keep it there. I also have an Oculus and it just would not be really conducive using it with the tower under the desk.

creatchee

So I'm running out of storage on my version of this deal (6700K, 980Ti, 512 SSD, 1TB HDD. Anybody install new storage yet, and if so, what is the difficulty level of access? Also, any suggestions for HDD in terms of brand and speed? I want 4TB so that I'm done with it for a while.

So I'm running out of storage on my version of this deal (6700K, 980Ti, 512 SSD, 1TB HDD. Anybody install new storage yet, and if so, what is the difficulty level of access? Also, any suggestions for HDD in terms of brand and speed? I want 4TB so that I'm done with it for a while.

The install is easy enough, just a little tricky getting to the sata port on the motherboard. There are pictures earlier in this thread. As for 4TB HD any WD or Toshiba would do. Get a 5400rpm if you're just mainly using it for data storage. 7200rpm if you'll be constantly transferring to and from.

It's an extreme pain in the ass adding another SATA cable.

He could just remove the 1TB drive and replace it with the 4TB for it to be super simple.

creatchee

The install is easy enough, just a little tricky getting to the sata port on the motherboard. There are pictures earlier in this thread. As for 4TB HD any WD or Toshiba would do. Get a 5400rpm if you're just mainly using it for data storage. 7200rpm if you'll be constantly transferring to and from.

He could just remove the 1TB drive and replace it with the 4TB for it to be super simple.

Thank you both!

So I've been looking at getting a prebuilt gaming PC of some kind, but a lot of the ones I've been looking at ARE NOT SLI capable. Would I really be missing out? It seems like SLI and CrossFire both come with a lot of technical headaches. The Pros just seemed like they weighed out the Cons.
I've also be looking into having a local chain (MicroCenter) build a PC for me. I would pick the parts out from MicroCenter and they build it for me. I've been going back and forth on what to do for awhile now :/

So I've been looking at getting a prebuilt gaming PC of some kind, but a lot of the ones I've been looking at ARE NOT SLI capable. Would I really be missing out? It seems like SLI and CrossFire both come with a lot of technical headaches. The Pros just seemed like they weighed out the Cons.
I've also be looking into having a local chain (MicroCenter) build a PC for me. I would pick the parts out from MicroCenter and they build it for me. I've been going back and forth on what to do for awhile now :/

I wouldn't worry about SLI. I and a lot of other more PC-literate people dont even like bothering with SLI a lot of the time because it can be a headache, as you said. A strong single card is the way to go imo.

If you're not confident building your PC those building services are fine, it's honestly fun to learn for yourself if you're willing to do the research and put aside the time for it though. Totally up to you.

I'd suggest posting the build in the Build-a-PC thread here for critique before buying, though. Especially for your first build.

I wouldn't worry about SLI. I and a lot of other more PC-literate people dont even like bothering with SLI a lot of the time because it can be a headache, as you said. A strong single card is the way to go imo.

If you're not confident building your PC those building services are fine, it's honestly fun to learn for yourself if you're willing to do the research and put aside the time for it though. Totally up to you.

I'd suggest posting the build in the Build-a-PC thread here for critique before buying, though. Especially for your first build.

So I've actually built one before and in retrospect the experience was relatively smooth, but I stressed myself out the whole time. Also, unlike last time I don't really have immediate access to anyone in case I need to trouble shoot anything and building the PC ate up the bulk of my day last time.

I've been using pcpartpicker.com to get an idea of what a PC I want to build would run me and there has not really been much of a price differential between building one and getting a prebuilt PC with the main difference being that I could build a SLI capable PC for less. On top of all that, knowing that after work I could get in a car, drive to Microcenter and walk out with something like a HP Omega with a 1080 in it is EXTREMELY tempting but I just keep having this nagging thought of "no, I should build a PC because... that's what I should do." lol

So I've actually built one before and in retrospect the experience was relatively smooth, but I stressed myself out the whole time. Also, unlike last time I don't really have immediate access to anyone in case I need to trouble shoot anything and building the PC ate up the bulk of my day last time.

I've been using pcpartpicker.com to get an idea of what a PC I want to build would run me and there has not really been much of a price differential between building one and getting a prebuilt PC with the main difference being that I could build a SLI capable PC for less. On top of all that, knowing that after work I could get in a car, drive to Microcenter and walk out with something like a HP Omega with a 1080 in it is EXTREMELY tempting but I just keep having this nagging thought of "no, I should build a PC because... that's what I should do." lol

I'm thinking of simply buying a prebuilt PC as well (heresy! I know). Where are you seeing deals for a pre-built that compare relatively well on price to what you could build yourself? Is there anything other than Microcenter, which I don't have in my area?

Fixins

Banned
Any of you try putting in a newer graphics card than the 980ti? I don't really get THAT good performance with mine which is kind of shitty. Can maybe get around 40fps on Ass Creed Syndicate on Ultra @ 1080p.

hoserx

Any of you try putting in a newer graphics card than the 980ti? I don't really get THAT good performance with mine which is kind of shitty. Can maybe get around 40fps on Ass Creed Syndicate on Ultra @ 1080p.

The only card faster is a gtx 1080, really....

kuYuri

Turn down some settings. The game on Ultra is very demanding even on the highest end cards.

B.K.

I'm having some trouble with this computer and I'm not really sure what it is. It randomly beeps once and shuts off. It has happened four times this month. Twice that I've noticed it was when I was playing Final Fantasy XIV. I don't know what I was doing the other times. I don't remember. This the error it always gives:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 4

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-01-09T05:54:07.746334700Z

EventRecordID 4822

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-0BSQRDO

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 3
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

Any ideas anyone?

Sounds like many have been having PSU issues, I'm guess I'm lucky in that I've had no issues.

However, I've had it almost a year and I'm ready to do a case and PSU swap. Has anyone done a case swap with this PC? Anyou case / PSU recommendations that would work?

Top Bottom