• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Rflagg

Not to blow up anyone's spots, but it seemed like everyone who ordered mid-Aprilish? Got codes, not anyone else.

I could be wrong, but from what I could suss out in this thread, that seemed to be the case.

Thanks for the reply, but I was really hoping for a code so I could really see what this beast can do. :(

I've been play overwatch on this thing at max settings and I'm seeing 83C for the temp using the in game "show framerate etc" option. That can't be good, can it? The fan definitely speeds up and the computer seems fine (it's quieter than my old PS4 under load) but I'm worried that I'll burn this thing out in a year or two.
Overwatch hits that temp for me, too, and that's with a custom fan curve. But I've noticed from watching streams/YouTubes and talking to friends that that game runs hot in general. When I play The Witcher 3, it never goes above 74

Drewsky

Whats the advantage of setting up a custom fan curve in afterburner? I just turn afterburner on and leave my max temp at 83 and it seems to control the temps well without customizing anything. Am I screwing up there?

Trojan

Overwatch hits that temp for me, too, and that's with a custom fan curve. But I've noticed from watching streams/YouTubes and talking to friends that that game runs hot in general. When I play The Witcher 3, it never goes above 74

What program are you guys using to check temps?

Just received this rig today. Unfortunately the ultrawide monitor I ordered arrived shattered! :C

Now I have to suffer looking at this sexy new machine sitting on my desk for a week. The joys of my first pc rig. :/

For those on the fence about doing the return. I can report that it is extremely painless. I did a quick chat session with customer service. They didn't ask questions or anything. Just sent a label and said I had five days to print it and submit it to FEDEX. I took the package to FEDEX yesterday morning, and almost immediately received an email that they were tracking the return. I just checked my paypal account and the money has already been refunded. Pretty painless.

I am definitely feeling the pain not having that 980 though!! Free Arma 3 weekend and Blops 3. Not to mention Doom!

MBison

I just finished Arkham Knight. 1600p, everything maxed. Absolutely breathtaking. Ran great, some dips while driving understandably and in some cut scenes but obviously the game has problems. But I was very pleased. Didn't notice any stutters just fps drops. Had the steam fps counter on and for the most part it was 60. Gorgeous game wow. Stunning. Great story too.

So Doom runs great too? Any benchmarks at 1400 or 1600p?

Stoze

I just finished Arkham Knight. 1600p, everything maxed. Absolutely breathtaking. Ran great, some dips while driving understandably and in some cut scenes but obviously the game has problems. But I was very pleased. Didn't notice any stutters just fps drops. Had the steam fps counter on and for the most part it was 60. Gorgeous game wow. Stunning. Great story too.

So Doom runs great too? Any benchmarks at 1400 or 1600p?

Been running DOOM on Ultra at 1440p, framerate zips around usually high 70s-100. Sometimes it goes up to 120-144 cap in certain places. Make sure you download the latest game ready driver for it.

I replaced the stock crap cooler with this model:

COOLERMASTER GeminII S524 Version 2

290_13_1508a7beca4f767e226706793e54c758_1427828744.jpg

It was not easy :(

Steps:

1. remove stock cooler and remove motherboard from case. By removing the GPU, and a few cables like the cpu power cable, and case fan, you can remove all the mounting screws and then lift it at an angle, revealing the metal cpu socket backplate that is on the boring side of the motherboard.

2. Discover that the backplate is how the cpu clamp - that little tray with the lever, that nails the cpu down - is attached to the motherboard. If you remove the backplate, which is just removing those three screws, the clamp is detached. That isn't what you want to see because aftermarket coolers have their own back plate design and don't have threads for cpu clamp.

3. Therefore, you need to keep the original motherboard back plate...

4. This aftermarket coolermaster has four spring loaded mounting bolts that you cannot turn (or even get at with the cooler installed), they are designed to be bolted, from the other side of the motherboard, via the backplate..

5. Drill out the four screw threads within the stock backplate, and file/dremel down the associated four sleeves, the ones that fit through the PCB. This allows the coolermaster mounting bolts to be pushed through the pcb and appear with enough thread on the reverse side. Now you need to obtain four little nuts to screw onto them because the ones in the kit are so large they cannot be turned, due to the HP backplate design. I had four little nylock nuts that worked.

6. Mount the cooler in the one orientation that works: looming over the memory boards.. There is only a tiny bit of clearance to the GPU also. You may want to stick some insulating material between the metal edge of the cooler and the GPU board, in case the PC is dropped while on, and they short.

7. Re-assemble everything , remembering attach the CPU power cord into the motherboard otherwise you get no beep, no POST and freak out.

8. The black GPU bracket HP give that holds the corner of the GPU, is not strictly necessary, and that's good because it can't be fitted now, without cutting a bit of metal on it..

Note with this orientation, adding memory boards is basically impossible, without removing the motherboard again and detaching the cooler. You should also attach the cpu fan connector before mounting the motherboard otherwise there is no space to get your fingers there.

RESULTS.

before: with prime 95 cpu heat stress test: 90c on each core, I didn't want to run it for more than a few minutes.

after: running prime 95, temp tops out at 71c

yDnkdgJ.jpg

hTbEvcY.jpg

I'm about to get a PC and I pulled the trigger on this last night. But soon after I got cold feet after reading that the case isn't great, motherboard sucks, and some other complaints. Building seems interesting to me, and a few months ago things may have been different but now I can build a PC with a 1070/80 for less than or equal to this deal and also have nicer components.

Anyway, I called to cancel the order and they tried really hard to get me to keep it. The first women I talked to offered to speed up the delivery date. I explained I was going to buy separate parts and the delivery date wasn't the issue. So she offered me $100 off the order.

When I said I still wanted to cancel she transferred me to her supervisor, who told me that I was getting the best deal possible with the coupon code, that HP quality is amazing, etc. I explained to her that I could build a comparable PC for less or keep the same budget and get nicer parts, and she offered to take $150 off the price.

I still cancelled but if anyone else is on the fence all it takes is a short phone call to get a decent additional discount.

Azuran17

Neo Member
So i got myself one of these and using hdmi + dvid dual monitor set up. there's 2 more hdmi ports near the 4 back usbs. are those hdmi inputs or outputs? i dont have a 3rd monitor to test this out.

Also back when i just got this i thought those were the main hdmi outs for display monitor #1. doesnt work.sorry i'm a tech newb. seems like only the hdmi port of the 980ti works as an output.

so basically what the heck are those hdmi ports near the usb ports on the back.

i wanna get an elgato for capturing footage or if maybe i can outfit this thing with a capture card if possible on this model

SScorpio

So i got myself one of these and using hdmi + dvid dual monitor set up. there's 2 more hdmi ports near the 4 back usbs. are those hdmi inputs or outputs? i dont have a 3rd monitor to test this out.

Also back when i just got this i thought those were the main hdmi outs for display monitor #1. doesnt work.sorry i'm a tech newb. seems like only the hdmi port of the 980ti works as an output.

so basically what the heck are those hdmi ports near the usb ports on the back.

i wanna get an elgato for capturing footage or if maybe i can outfit this thing with a capture card if possible on this model

I don't have one those these, but they sound like video out for the embedded Intel GPU that on the CPU. They might only work in Windows since the 980ti is the primary output. Or you might have a setting in the BIOS to enable them.

Try giving Shadow Play a try before buying a capture device. It's included with the video drivers so it doesn't cost anything, and you might like it.

LProtag

So it sounds like if I don't need a PC right now I should just wait a little bit and there will be better options out there?

AY4L

Banned
How are you guys setting up your MSI Afterburner profile. I have no idea what I'm even looking at.

My PC is getting 83-86 C temps during overwatch

Zapages

Hi guys.

the deal is back on. :)

The new code is
HPMDS30

I just ordered this and it comes with a 600W power supply. :)

HP ENVY Phoenix 860st Desktop PC
Product number: N3G98AV#ABA

•No Additional Security Software
•Home and Home Office Insert
•HP USB volume control Keyboard and USB Optical Mouse
•7-in-1 Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Top), Audio [Top 2USB2.0, 2USB3.0]
•Integrated Sound
•32GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (4x8GB) RAM
•3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 Hard Drive
•1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 2nd HDD
•HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 with Bluetooth® M.2 Non-vPro NIC
•SuperMulti DVD Burner
•Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS
•6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700K quad-core processor [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]
•$50 off on Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2016

All this for 1800 including tax. :)

How are you guys setting up your MSI Afterburner profile. I have no idea what I'm even looking at.

Mine is locked at 83 in Overwatch even with a custom fan curve. That game just runs hot, I think; I see people with custom cooling going into the 70s.

Turns out my shut down issues were a result of a defective PSU. HP replaced my system with a new one that is working correctly.

I ended up swapping the stock PSU with a more capable EVGA G2 I had laying around just for peace of mind. I tested over clocking +250core +450mem and with a custom fan curve my temps do not go over 75 which is just 1 degree hotter than without overclock. It really hasn't been needed so I'm leaving at stock, but it's nice to know the machine is able to handle some OC.

Stoze

Mine is locked at 83 in Overwatch even with a custom fan curve. That game just runs hot, I think; I see people with custom cooling going into the 70s.

I haven't played much since the beta, but mine definitely never went over the 76-78 range with a custom fan curve. I use a pretty aggressive one though since the noise doesn't bother me at all.

I just set the fan speed at whatever the temp is (60 for 60C, etc.), and then when it hits 79 or 80 I basically jump it up to full speed.

bradgnoyes

Neo Member
So I had never visited NeoGAF until I researched this PC, and man did I spend a lot of time looking through this thread. I made an account several months ago and it was just activated today and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted helpful info here because it really helped me out making my decison to buy and with getting things set up.

And this rig is awesome. Been prinarily a console gamer since even before the NES and I've been converted.

Kyne

So I had never visited NeoGAF until I researched this PC, and man did I spend a lot of time looking through this thread. I made an account several months ago and it was just activated today and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted helpful info here because it really helped me out making my decison to buy and with getting things set up.

And this rig is awesome. Been prinarily a console gamer since even before the NES and I've been converted.

listening to how people found GAF is so weird. I think I did it in the arcade stick thread as I was linked from the SRK forums.

anyways, good to have you!

My screen is flickering black while web browsing sometimes, specifically when browsing gifs. Anyone know anything about this? Also there is a slowly pulsating buzzing coming from my speakers, like electrical interference maybe?

My PC fans get really loud when I play any game. I was playing Age of Empires 2 HD and they were pretty loud. But, the PC itself was not hot. I'm just wondering is this normal?

Drewsky

I've had this pc for a couple months and just this morning after log in I had a hard lock up and then black screen. I hard rebooted and logged in another lock up this time it went to a white screen. What should I do? I'm thinking it's my graphics card I had some driver issues a couple days ago and that's the only obvious change that could be causing the problem, but it locks up too fast for me to uninstall nvidia programs. Thanks for any help.

I've had this pc for a couple months and just this morning after log in I had a hard lock up and then black screen. I hard rebooted and logged in another lock up this time it went to a white screen. What should I do? I'm thinking it's my graphics card I had some driver issues a couple days ago and that's the only obvious change that could be causing the problem, but it locks up too fast for me to uninstall nvidia programs. Thanks for any help.

Boot into safe mode?

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

DirtyLarry

Have had this PC for a few months and it has served me good. Around November I believe I am going to strip the CPU and GPU for the basis of a new build. So that means I spent about $350 to have the other parts work for me for about 6 months, which I am actually perfectly okay with.

BFIB

My PC fans get really loud when I play any game. I was playing Age of Empires 2 HD and they were pretty loud. But, the PC itself was not hot. I'm just wondering is this normal?
Have you checked the fans on the graphics card? Dusted the inside?

BFIB

Yes to both.
Can you run some temperature tests on your card?

It could be a few things:

-poor airflow (try opening the case and see if that cools the temp some. Summertime weather heats up the electronics fast

-thermal paste needs to be reapplied

-PSU starting to fault causing voltages to increase (not likely this since the CPU is staying cooler

-try increasing the fan speed in nvidia settings

I'd start just by popping the side panel off the case with a small desk fan blowing air in. I usually have to do this on my PC in the summer months.

Can you run some temperature tests on your card?

It could be a few things:

-poor airflow (try opening the case and see if that cools the temp some. Summertime weather heats up the electronics fast

-thermal paste needs to be reapplied

-PSU starting to fault causing voltages to increase (not likely this since the CPU is staying cooler

-try increasing the fan speed in nvidia settings

I'd start just by popping the side panel off the case with a small desk fan blowing air in. I usually have to do this on my PC in the summer months.

My PC is cool and is blowing cool air out. I also have a fan on 24/7 to keep the room cool.

How do i figure out the fan speed settings?

BFIB

My PC is cool and is blowing cool air out. I also have a fan on 24/7 to keep the room cool.

How do i figure out the fan speed settings?
Step 1
Start NVIDIA System Monitor application by clicking "Start | All Programs | NVIDIA Corporation | NVIDIA System Monitor." A System Monitor icon appears on the right of the Windows taskbar; right-click this icon and choose "Open." The NVIDIA System Monitor window opens and displays information about your NVIDIA graphics card.

Step 2
Click "Device settings" in the "Select a Task" pane, and then click the "Create Profiles" tab.

Step 3
Click the "GPU" icon, and then click the "Cooling" slider control and slide it to a value between zero and 100 percent. The fan slows down or speeds up automatically, depending on your setting.

Step 4
Close the NVIDIA System Monitor window, and then click either the "Yes" button when prompted with the "Would you like to load the saved settings at Windows start up?" message to use the selected fan speed each time Windows starts, or the "No" button to change the fan speed only temporarily, so that the fan speed will revert back to its default setting when you exit Windows.

Step 1
Start NVIDIA System Monitor application by clicking "Start | All Programs | NVIDIA Corporation | NVIDIA System Monitor." A System Monitor icon appears on the right of the Windows taskbar; right-click this icon and choose "Open." The NVIDIA System Monitor window opens and displays information about your NVIDIA graphics card.

Step 2
Click "Device settings" in the "Select a Task" pane, and then click the "Create Profiles" tab.

Step 3
Click the "GPU" icon, and then click the "Cooling" slider control and slide it to a value between zero and 100 percent. The fan slows down or speeds up automatically, depending on your setting.

Step 4
Close the NVIDIA System Monitor window, and then click either the "Yes" button when prompted with the "Would you like to load the saved settings at Windows start up?" message to use the selected fan speed each time Windows starts, or the "No" button to change the fan speed only temporarily, so that the fan speed will revert back to its default setting when you exit Windows.

I apparently don't have the System Monitor.

Top Bottom