• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question, but how hard would it be to buy this, gut it and then put it in a roomier case?

The biggest issue would be the Mobo which is likely a custom design for this specific box (or HP boxes). Mounts will likely be in non-standard spots making it hard if not impossible to mount to a different case.

PSU is probably also a non-standard size or shape. If you're okay with buying a new Mobo and maybe a new PSU to go with your new case and are comfortable snatching parts like your CPU off a Mobo, I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine.

Head.spawn

See above.

I'm blind apparently, lol.
The biggest issue would be the Mobo which is likely a custom design for this specific box (or HP boxes). Mounts will likely be in non-standard spots making it hard if not impossible to mount to a different case.

PSU is probably also a non-standard size or shape. If you're okay with buying a new Mobo and maybe a new PSU to go with your new case and are comfortable snatching parts like your CPU off a Mobo, I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like it's probably not a good idea. My main concern is ventilation, hopefully that's not an issue.

If you're replacing the Mobo you'd probably also have to purchase a new Windows 10 license key.

BruceCLea

Banned
Anybody hook theirs up to a 4K TV? That's what I'm going to do. It's a 40 inch Samsung with really low input lag. I don't want a monitor (don't have any room) right now.

If I want to put another regular hard drive in this thing, am I going to need extra parts that aren't already included? I took a quick look inside it last night and it looks like it won't be as plug and play as I hoped.

If you're replacing the Mobo you'd probably also have to purchase a new Windows 10 license key.

Yea well...yea. But you can also probably just call Microsoft and let them know the deal. They're pretty helpful with stuff like that in my experience.

So yea, for anyone looking to do that, we're talking about I guess $100-$150 for a proper mobo, $50-$150 for a cool case, and maaaaaybe $50-$100 for a PSU in the event the one in the case is a non-standard shape/size.

So like, +$200-$300.

Alternately, if you just want your case a little cooler, you can get something like a liquid cpu cooler kit. Not expensive, extremely popular and reliable.

Yea well...yea. But you can also probably just call Microsoft and let them know the deal. They're pretty helpful with stuff like that in my experience.

So yea, for anyone looking to do that, we're talking about I guess $100-$150 for a proper mobo, $50-$150 for a cool case, and maaaaaybe $50-$100 for a PSU in the event the one in the case is a non-standard shape/size.

So like, +$200-$300.

Alternately, if you just want your case a little cooler, you can get something like a liquid cpu cooler kit. Not expensive, extremely popular and reliable.

Not to be a downer, but if you're going to go through all that, with all of the extra work and cost involved, you probably should've just went the route of building your own. You could build a PC with identical specs for cheaper than the ~$1400 this process would total once everything is transferred to a new case.

Anybody hook theirs up to a 4K TV? That's what I'm going to do. It's a 40 inch Samsung with really low input lag. I don't want a monitor (don't have any room) right now.

I did and it's really easy. Just plug a hdmi cable to the back and your all set. Unless Vizio tvs are different than Samsung but it looks awesome on my 55 inch Vizio in 4k

If I want to put another regular hard drive in this thing, am I going to need extra parts that aren't already included? I took a quick look inside it last night and it looks like it won't be as plug and play as I hoped.

You will need a new SATA cable. Also possibly some screws? I think the screws is what is holding the drive in the bay. Also, in case you didn't see my post earlier, getting to the sata ports on the motherboard is a bitch.

You will need a new SATA cable. Also possibly some screws? I think the screws is what is holding the drive in the bay. Also, in case you didn't see my post earlier, getting to the sata ports on the motherboard is a bitch.

Ok cool. I might actually have an extra lying around. Yeah, I can already tell getting to the mobo is going to be fun.

PolishQ

Anybody else use Ebates on their purchase? My Ebates account is showing my shopping trip from last month, but no cash back so far. Is that normal?

Elixist

I just bought this prebuilt from best buy and im loving it. The case is huge so its easily upgradeable. GTX970 and an I7.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...hite/4585900.p?id=1219773226138&skuId=4585900

this is legit, i saw it in store last year grats dude. air thru the front and air thru the top of the back, rocket science

So I wasn't home when FedEx tried to deliver my PC. Time to see if I can pick it up in person or if I have to wait anther day... bummer.

Edit: No luck. Had to schedule it to be moved to a facility I can pick it up at. Sounds like that could take a day or so... sigh.
Edit 2: Didn't have to wait that long after all. All going well so far.

hayejin

So I got mine and am trying to add additional hard drive. But where are the power cable for the additional ones? I only see one that's connected to main hard drive. All other extra seem to be feeding into top USB ports.

Any ideas?

OK I see the sata controllers. But what do the colors mean?
Main is connected to blue and I see purple green and yellow.

Wow they made it really impossible to connect that sata cable there. Anybody have suggestion or tools to get in there to add extra sata cables. I can only barely squeeze in into pink one but still no cigar.

So I got mine and am trying to add additional hard drive. But where are the power cable for the additional ones? I only see one that's connected to main hard drive. All other extra seem to be feeding into top USB ports.

Any ideas?

OK I see the sata controllers. But what do the colors mean?
Main is connected to blue and I see purple green and yellow.

Wow they made it really impossible to connect that sata cable there. Anybody have suggestion or tools to get in there to add extra sata cables. I can only barely squeeze in into pink one but still no cigar.

I put mine in today successfully but I'm not an expert on this so don't take it as gospel. Not sure what the different colors are, but I plugged my second HDD in to the blue one next to the original. Take out the original first to get to that easier. That helps a lot.

hayejin

I put mine in today successfully but I'm not an expert on this so don't take it as gospel. Not sure what the different colors are, but I plugged my second HDD in to the blue one next to the original. Take out the original first to get to that easier. That helps a lot.

Thanks. I found it easier to pull out the DVD/Bluray drive. Pull the green handle and pull out the DVD drive and it leaves a lot of room.
Still had to just insert the cable straight and insert slightly and then nudge it in further with finger tip later.

Alright. So my monitor is here and I've been enjoying the machine. I ran CS:Go all maxed at 1440p at 144fps and the cpu was about 56C and 40% load. Does that sound normal?

Additonally, at maxed 16:9 1440p SC2 game runs at 144 hz at near full load at 75C. How does that sound?

Hmm, the best mine's been able to do is 10.3, so if you have any insights I'd really appreciate it.

6700K, 980ti, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD.

Just got mine, and my scores have ranged from 10.2 to 10.5. I posted my results in the Vive thread here.

My specs are 6700K, 980ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSHD (Steam).

MBison

Looks like the 980ti is a customize option on the hp site again. Are there any coupon codes that will get the price down to almost this deal level?

Adding the 980ti and 500 power supply makes it 1439 or so.

SPRING2016 doesn't seem to work

newsguy

Ok so im at the checkout page. It's either buy this and wait until Oculus and Vive are readily available, or buy the lesser asus bundle and have the Oculus by late April.

B.K.

Is this considered to be a good system? I've been wanting to buy a new PC for a few years. With the coupon, this is right in my budget range. I was wanting to get a system with a liquid cooler so I could overclock, but I assume this system can't be overclocked. That's not really something I planned to do right away anyway. If it's a decent system, I could probably wait a year or two to upgrade the case, motherboard, power supply, and cooler.

newsguy

Is this considered to be a good system? I've been wanting to buy a new PC for a few years. With the coupon, this is right in my budget range. I was wanting to get a system with a liquid cooler so I could overclock, but I assume this system can't be overclocked. That's not really something I planned to do right away anyway. If it's a decent system, I could probably wait a year or two to upgrade the case, motherboard, power supply, and cooler.

I can tell you that I've been looking high and low for a pre built 980 ti PC and this is by far the cheapest available.

Today, right now, this is essentially the best PC you can buy (non SLI). 6 months from now that won't be the case, but that's just the reality of PC gaming. You could wait forever but at some point you have to bite the bullet. This is a great deal IMO.

newsguy

Got in on the spring2016 deal. Thanks for the heads up. Now I need to hope the Oculus actually shows up to retailers in April

Just finished fully configuring mine with all of my software, games, updates, settings. We good2go.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

- Have a long-neck precision phillips head screw driver
- Have a long-neck precision flathead screw driver
- Have a magnetizer/demagnetizer. Like this.
- Purchase 3 L-shaped SATA data cables. Like this.
- Purchase 1 SATA extension cable. Like this.

1.) The above are needed to add HDDs to the system. If you don't have L-shaped SATA cables, they will not fit well because of the configuration of the drives relative to the case. The sata cables will be pressed against the case door.

2.) There are 3 extra SATA data cable slots, which your 3 new SATA cables will go to when/if you decide to add additional drives.

3.) If you get one with built-in Wifi, be careful to not accidentally knock off one of the wifi antennae from the card. It's attached to the mobo in a spot that is hard to reach without taking off the GPU and the frame that holds the GPU. If you do, you'll need to unscrew the screw holding it in place and reach in and pull the card out, reattach the antenna and put it back in. It's easier if you take out the GPU but that's a process in and of itself, so I opted to just use the philips head + magnetizer. That will allow you to guide the screw back into the tight space you otherwise wouldn't be able to negotiate.

4.) The SATA extension cable will allow you to relieve pressure to an SSD if you want to add one without putting it in one of the 3 open HDD bays. You'll know the reason to have it and the SATA plug you'll need to connect it to when you look.

---

Very happy with the system and its performance so far. Will be imaging it tonight for backup purposes. Thanks OP!

Oh, and Acronis True Image made moving the install from the default HDD to the old SSD a 4-click process. Very impressive.

Elbereth

I'm so happy for everyone else who can get in on this deal. I've never had a PC of this caliber. Simply amazing.

I purchased a 1440P Monitor/IPS/GSync (XB270HU), Logitech G502, Logitech G19 Keyboard as well It's simply amazing.

MBison

I'm so happy for everyone else who can get in on this deal. I've never had a PC of this caliber. Simply amazing.

I purchased a 1440P Monitor/IPS/GSync (XB270HU), Logitech G502, Logitech G19 Keyboard as well It's simply amazing.

Nice, I'm excited. Someone post some game benchmarks or something so I can foam at the mouth.

MBison

Which PC on their site should I be customizing, and what alterations should I make? Link please :)

Follow the link in the OP to customize. Add 980ti and 500 power supply.

Enter code spring2016 and it will knock off $400ish for $1129 or so.

You can add whatever else you want.

BHK3

Banned
My PC recently was damaged during a flood, though it turns out it was just the motherboard. I was hoping on upgrading this year anyway, is it worth it for me to basically toss the motherboard, sell every other piece of the PC and use that to fund this? I currently have a amd7870 i5 8gb as my setup, been using it for a few years and I want to get in on gears of war PC as well as some others.

Playing Arkham Knight on this PC earlier blew my fucking mind, and that's on a 1080p like 60hz hdtv (lol). Still contenplating whether I should get spend so much damn money on a XB270HU or get a another low end 1440p monitor for half the price. Any recommendations are appreciated

Follow the link in the OP to customize. Add 980ti and 500 power supply.

Enter code spring2016 and it will knock off $400ish for $1129 or so.

You can add whatever else you want.

I got surprised as usually by sales tax

And adding memory is expensive vs parts costs on eBay. So don't do that either

Picking the 4.0 cpu and a single ssd and the better wifi cost 1350 inc. sales tax. Unfortunately both my delivery address options require sales tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom