• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
fuck!!!!
it was still in my cart from last night so i placed the order but it took it out after i purchased it. mother fuckers. changed it to 745m.

Velikost

fuck!!!!
it was still in my cart from last night so i placed the order but it took it out after i purchased it. mother fuckers. changed it to 745m.

Same thing happened to me. I called PayPal right when they opened and they said they've cancelled the charge, but it shows up as completed on their site. Hopefully it doesn't hit my account. HP doesn't allow cancellations without calling, and they aren't open until Monday.

No idea why the site would show the right thing all the way through checkout, then switch the build after I choose complete purchase. Really fucked up bait and switch.

All this waiting and pains in my ass seem to have been worth it. They took 30% off the ENVY Phoenix 860-170VX, so I paid $1,400 but I got the better computer with the cooler case, liquid cooling, and 24GB RAM, 980ti, and 4.0 GHz CPU. Feels good man.

Ultimadrago

Same thing happened to me. I called PayPal right when they opened and they said they've cancelled the charge, but it shows up as completed on their site. Hopefully it doesn't hit my account. HP doesn't allow cancellations without calling, and they aren't open until Monday.

No idea why the site would show the right thing all the way through checkout, then switch the build after I choose complete purchase. Really fucked up bait and switch.

Wait, so they changed the card after you completed checkout?

What the fuck.

Call 866-246-0504. Have them call whoever you are financing through and put it on 3 way so you can confirm whatever information then need to process the order. They probably aren't going to be able process your other order but they should honor 30% one of the Phoenix models that come with the 980Ti.

All this waiting and pains in my ass seem to have been worth it. They took 30% off the ENVY Phoenix 860-170VX, so I paid $1,400 but I got the better computer with the cooler case, liquid cooling, and 24GB RAM, 980ti, and 4.0 GHz CPU. Feels good man.
Nice. Did you have to talk to them to get that deal? I'd be happy to make the switch to that if it were possible.

newsguy

So here we go again. This is what's left available for $200 less than the 980ti:

500W Power supply
16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

How will this rig run current generation games? I'm looking to get a visual upgrade from my PS4 since it can be a bit blurry on a front projector at large sizes. Really for the time being until Oculus is available and I can pick one up. Thanks.

As a comparison, the base Oculus bundle costs the same as this but brings the i5. 8gb of ram, and a 1tb hd

BriGuy

So here we go again. This is what's left available for $200 less than the 980ti:

500W Power supply
16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

How will this rig run current generation games? I'm looking to get a visual upgrade from my PS4 since it can be a bit blurry on a front projector at large sizes. Really for the time being until Oculus is available and I can pick one up. Thanks.

As a comparison, the base Oculus bundle costs the same as this but brings the i5. 8gb of ram, and a 1tb hd

The 970 is going to start showing its age pretty soon. I mean, you'll be able to run most current stuff decently enough (and better than a PS4), but the 980ti stands head and shoulders above it. I wouldn't bite this late in the game, but that's me. Wait until the new cards come out. We'll probably see more deals like this one then.

impact

Banned
The 970 is going to start showing its age pretty soon. I mean, you'll be able to run most current stuff decently enough (and better than a PS4), but the 980ti stands head and shoulders above it. I wouldn't bite this late in the game, but that's me. Wait until the new cards come out. We'll probably see more deals like this one then.

shit dude, my 760 is still running games better than a PS4

Velikost

Wait, so they changed the card after you completed checkout?

What the fuck.

Totally. Clicked "complete purchase," new page loaded, price was a couple hundred less and it said the card was a 700 series.

Why wouldn't you error it out, or list a "Sorry, this configuration isn't available." Insane.

Call 866-246-0504. Have them call whoever you are financing through and put it on 3 way so you can confirm whatever information then need to process the order. They probably aren't going to be able process your other order but they should honor 30% one of the Phoenix models that come with the 980Ti.

I don't think I'll be ordering another PC from them after this, but I'll try that number to have them cancel it on their end as well. Thanks

Alex

The guys on Slickdeals seem a lot more critical of this deal, saying things like the case doesn't ventilate well and that throttles the 980ti to 65% power.

People here seem much more impressed.

Hmm.

I'm more concerned about the motherboard and BIOS than the case.

buscket

how did you manage this? I talked to the sales team on the phone and they wouldn't budge on applying 30% off to that.

edit: called the number above, they closed at 2pm est. :(

jaaz

There's a few decent round-ups of this machine on reddit. E.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsa..._hp_envy_750se_desktop_i76700_2tb_hdd/czgrpy2

Also it seems quite a few people have had success pulling everything out and putting it in a new case.

The thing is, it sounds like you don't need to change the case unless you are going to aggressively OC. The OP on that reddit thread says that his temps are GPU Idle: 32-34 Load: 79-83 and CPU Idle: 34-40 Load: 68-75. He used Prime 95 and Witcher 3 Ultra, which as we know is as about as demanding of a game as you can get. Also, it's Rift ready with 2 usb 3.0 in front and 2 in back.

This thing is for real.

The thing is, it sounds like you don't need to change the case unless you are going to aggressively OC. The OP on that reddit thread says that his temps are GPU Idle: 32-34 Load: 79-83 and CPU Idle: 34-40 Load: 68-75. He used Prime 95 and Witcher 3 Ultra. Also is Rift ready with 2 usb 3.0 in front and 2 in back.

This thing is for real.

Impressive. I look forward to verifying these claims for myself >:-D

Elixist

The thing is, it sounds like you don't need to change the case unless you are going to aggressively OC. The OP on that reddit thread says that his temps are GPU Idle: 32-34 Load: 79-83 and CPU Idle: 34-40 Load: 68-75. He used Prime 95 and Witcher 3 Ultra, which as we know is as about as demanding of a game as you can get. Also, it's Rift ready with 2 usb 3.0 in front and 2 in back.

This thing is for real.

603.gif

should be a fun living room comp and then build somethin bigger next year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Their customer service is shit. Looks like they won't be bringing the 980ti back into this deal.

its really bad. how can you not honor the price i paid when i placed the order. it's not like it was super cheap. mine came out to be $1300 with tax.

KingV

fuck!!!!

It looks like they stopped offering the 980Ti. It's no longer an option on the customization page.

I think they probably just blew their entire stock of 980Ti once this did the rounds online.

The number of orders also probably means it will take at least a month for mine to get here. -_-

Saro

I used paypal credit and my paypal account says pending for the amount with the 980ti even though the webpage had an error and removed that gpu option...

Am I screwed?

Edit: there is no confirmation email from HP but there is the pending status from PayPal.

I used paypal credit and my paypal account says pending for the amount with the 980ti even though the webpage had an error and removed that gpu option...

Am I screwed?

Edit: there is no confirmation email from HP but there is the pending status from PayPal.

See my last post about what number you need to call to resolve this

Is the 980ti overkill for a 1080p TV? (Samsung H7150.) I plan to use this in the living room.

No. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Minimum frame rates will be higher, as well as average frame rates. That 6GB VRAM gives you some breathing room with more modern games. You should be able to crank most games to max settings.

For someone who doesn't know, how much should this all normally cost?

It is, most definitely. Only drawbacks being a fairly limited motherboard, PSU, and case.

Here's the most value oriented build I could put together with the same parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($364.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.89 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1483.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:25 EST-0500

This has a much better motherboard, a fairly large SSD, an amazing PSU, will run quieter, and has better options for upgrading down the line. But these are all small things that don't really impact performance, outside of the higher clocked CPU.

Found this on an earlier page. Some people were paying up to $1300 due to taxes, and with this build you get better quality parts and the joy of putting it together yourself, if you're into that.

Honestly I want the experience of building a PC, but a gtx 980ti goes for more than $500 by itself which makes it sound like a pretty attractive deal.

Ahh it's a stock gpu card, those are HEAVY and they need a support bracket unless you wanna risk breaking/bending your board if you plan to pull it for another case.

I hope those of you who managed to order it will report back how it's going once you got it.

Ohh I will, I'm pretty damn excited. My X-51 is definitely starting to show it's age.

I think it's time for a new keyboard, anyone have any recommendations on a nice wireless one, do they make wireless mechanical keyboards? Are there any real advantages to a mechanical KB?

jaaz

Found this on an earlier page. Some people were paying up to $1300 due to taxes, and with this build you get better quality parts and the joy of putting it together yourself, if you're into that.

Honestly I want the experience of building a PC, but a gtx 980ti goes for more than $500 by itself which makes it sound like a pretty attractive deal.

To be fair, that DYI build you posted is missing a few items that the HP 750se comes with, including a wireless network card, optical drive, copy of Windows 10, keyboard and mouse, and 1 year warranty on the build. Not a HUGE price difference, but a few more dollars saved none the less.

I put a order for one with a 980 ti and I'm kind of having a dilemma . Before this deal came up I was in the market for a gaming laptop for around a grand and was likely going to get the alienware 13 and use graphics amplifier when cards got cheaper. Ive been pretty happy just playing my X1 and PS4 and wanted a gaming laptop just to be able to play some PC games every now and then . Why did it have to be such a good deal lol

newsguy

I put a order for one with a 980 ti and I'm kind of having a dilemma . Before this deal came up I was in the market for a gaming laptop for around a grand and was likely going to get the alienware 13 and use graphics amplifier when cards got cheaper. Ive been pretty happy just playing my X1 and PS4 and wanted a gaming laptop just to be able to play some PC games every now and then . Why did it have to be such a good deal lol

You can get in touch with me and I will take it off your hands for full price. I missed the deal and really want it for rare PC gaming and mostly for Oculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom