• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Lorcain

Do you mind posting a pic of your fan curve? I'm curious to try it out. The one issue I have with the PC is the jet engine GPU fan when it gets going.
I just tested this fan curve again during a few bonfire runs and against a boss in Dark Souls 3. It kept the GPU temp in the 78-79c range (max temp was 80c but it didn't stay there long). The default fan curve average was 83-84c for the same area. Not a huge difference, but it gave me peace of mind knowing it was below the magic 83c point without engaging jet engine fan mode.
Yd15jbC.png

If you want to keep it a few degrees cooler than what I had, maybe bump up the fan speed by 5 at each of the node points at 70c and above.

MBison

Ugh have my first issue with this thing after a couple week. It went into power sleep mode and it won't come out. The monitor is stuck in sleep mode even after rebooting and powering down. Anyone ever get a monitor stuck in sleep mode? Obviously may be the monitor issue and not the computer but either way, ugh!! Anyone have an idea?

Ok never mind after unplugging everything for 3 plus minutes, all is okay.

For fuck's sake that sucked.

The_Dama

Ugh have my first issue with this thing after a couple week. It went into power sleep mode and it won't come out. The monitor is stuck in sleep mode even after rebooting and powering down. Anyone ever get a monitor stuck in sleep mode? Obviously may be the monitor issue and not the computer but either way, ugh!! Anyone have an idea?

For fuck's sake that sucked.

Happens a lot with every PC.

aaaaa0

Next time just hold the power button down 10 seconds to do a hard reset.

It happens. Usually because some driver in your system doesn't deal with power management correctly. Seems to be a common problem on Skylake in particular. :-\

MBison

Next time just hold the power button down 10 seconds to do a hard reset.

It happens. Usually because some driver in your system doesn't deal with power management correctly. Seems to be a common problem on Skylake in particular. :-\

yeah I actually did that and it didnt fix it. So I unplugged both from the wall for 3 minutes and it was fine. I changed the power settings to not go to picture sleep ever. I dont leave my computer on for long when im not using it so really rather not deal with it if i dont have to haha.

Bought it but opted for the 390x to a save a couple hundred and it was only $5 more then the 970. I imagine the 980ti will go down in price soon enough with the nvidia event rumored to happen soon. This will be first foray into pc gaming to this extent, so I'm excited! Also ebates is great, gonna get back about $140!

BumRush

Sorry if this has already been posted but the deal is back on the Slickdeals front page and the coupon code is working again (not sure if it works fully, I did not purchase).

Drewsky

How long did it take everyone else's to ship? Ordered mine Wednesday and the monitor shipped that night but the pc itself still hasn't.

lt519

Wow this could come out to like $1000 with ebates..

600W Power Supply no longer being an option makes it less appealing.

500 seems low. The recommended is 600 on Nvidia's site, but I know that runs a little high sometimes.

A lot of people, including myself got the deal when only the 500W PSU was offered and I don't believe anyone's reported any problems.

The 980Ti recommends like 600W on the box I think, but that's to cover their ass.

But yeah, 0 problems to report after getting the PC last week.

Edit: Also TY to people who used my ebates link, you da true champs

DirtyLarry

Hmmm, any current owners of the older model slightly upset and or slight concerned they for whatever felt the need to bump the PSU up to 600W as the default?
I may reach out to HP and complain and see if they will send me the 600W PSU.
Not expecting anything based on the horror stories I have heard about their customer service, but I am going to give it a shot.

DirtyLarry

GAF HELP!!!!

I am on the phone with HP. Believe it or not they are willing to send me a new computer with the 600W PSU and then I just have to send back my current one. Thing is I already wiped their OS and recovery disk on my current PC.

Can I just swap everything out in each case and then swap the harddrives? Any ideas here?

I am not even sure if it is worth the hassle, at this point I may just pick up my own PSU if it means that much to me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GAF HELP!!!!

I am on the phone with HP. Believe it or not they are willing to send me a new computer with the 600W PSU and then I just have to send back my current one. Thing is I already wiped their OS and recovery disk on my current PC.

Can I just swap everything out in each case and then swap the harddrives? Any ideas here?

I am not even sure if it is worth the hassle, at this point I may just pick up my own PSU if it means that much to me.
its not worth the hassle.

DirtyLarry

its not worth the hassle.
Yeah it really is not. If I had not done a clean install of Windows and left their shit bloatware OS on it I would have done it in a heartbeat, but just going through all the steps I would have to take to swap everything out, it really is not worth it at all.

Just is a little off to me they felt the need to up the PSU to 600W. I have to think there is a reason behind them doing so, and none of the reasons I can think of from a business standpoint are positive ones to be honest.

Oh well. If there are ever issues down the road I may consider it. Although it would just be easier to pick up my own PSU and install it myself.

BigAT

Yeah it really is not. If I had not done a clean install of Windows and left their shit bloatware OS on it I would have done it in a heartbeat, but just going through all the steps I would have to take to swap everything out, it really is not worth it at all.

Just is a little off to me they felt the need to up the PSU to 600W. I have to think there is a reason behind them doing so, and none of the reasons I can think of from a business standpoint are positive ones to be honest.

Oh well. If there are ever issues down the road I may consider it. Although it would just be easier to pick up my own PSU and install it myself.

People have had this for months without issue, I think you're worrying too much.

CeeSaw

How long did it take everyone else's to ship? Ordered mine Wednesday and the monitor shipped that night but the pc itself still hasn't.
Mine shipped without them emailing me. Was supposed to ship the 21st but ended up on my doorstep the 20th. Got the shipping email today.

DirtyLarry

People have had this for months without issue, I think you're worrying too much.

I probably am. But the pessimist in me feels that HP did not just start offering a stronger PSU because they are nice.
So that probably leaves one of few scenarios...
  • They upped it because they in fact have had reported issues from people who do own it and decided it is better to be safe than sorry and upgraded the PSU.
  • They ran out of 500W PSU's in their assembly factory.
  • They were able to get a better deal on 600W PSU's
A company like HP does not just change something like a PSU just because. There is always a reason that reason is always going to be driven by it makes sense for the overall business.

Add to the above in the back of my mind when ordering this I was always a little hesitant about the 500W PSU being enough, and yeah, I am slightly annoyed that the default is now a 600W PSU.

I am not going to do anything and just keep it in the back of my mind if the PSU does for whatever reason become an issue I can pick up something like this. Pretty sure I already voided my warranty anyway doing a clean install of Windows.

Surfinn

I'm in CA and it looks like the estimated tax is $0 with free shipping (right before I enter in payment info). Can this be right? Or does the tax come after you put in your actual address?

BigAT

I'm in CA and it looks like the estimated tax is $0 with free shipping (right before I enter in payment info). Can this be right? Or does the tax come after you put in your actual address?

I think tax only shows up in the final step, right before you confirm the order.

Kibbles

Yo wtf HP just emailed me a code for The Division?! That's pretty sweet, I had no idea it came with it, did anyone else?

Edit: This is from the PC I ordered April 6th and have already received

Yo wtf HP just emailed me a code for The Division?! That's pretty sweet, I had no idea it came with it, did anyone else?

That'd be awesome. When did you order? I ordered on the 9th of April I believe and haven't received a code. Would love one tho.

edit: Literally just hit the inbox. WOOOOTT!!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope they get Pascal cards. Please.

I probably am. But the pessimist in me feels that HP did not just start offering a stronger PSU because they are nice.
So that probably leaves one of few scenarios...
  • They upped it because they in fact have had reported issues from people who do own it and decided it is better to be safe than sorry and upgraded the PSU.
  • They ran out of 500W PSU's in their assembly factory.
  • They were able to get a better deal on 600W PSU's
A company like HP does not just change something like a PSU just because. There is always a reason that reason is always going to be driven by it makes sense for the overall business.

Add to the above in the back of my mind when ordering this I was always a little hesitant about the 500W PSU being enough, and yeah, I am slightly annoyed that the default is now a 600W PSU.

I am not going to do anything and just keep it in the back of my mind if the PSU does for whatever reason become an issue I can pick up something like this. Pretty sure I already voided my warranty anyway doing a clean install of Windows.
they could have upped it because of popular demand. The biggest gripe was always the psu. I imagine that extra 100w got a whole lot more people on board. I know if they had offered it when I was computer shopping id have ordered one instead of building the current PC myself. (I love my PC though. Love love love)

DirtyLarry

Yeah I am definitely not trading the computer back for an extra 100w on the PSU, it is just the component I was least sold on when ordering this comp, so truth be told, I am just a bit pissed off they upped it and I missed out LOL

Anyway I came to post to ask people if they got their The Division code. I actually looked into it when I got the PC and thought we had missed the promotional period, so very cool we did not. I was actually considering purchasing it anyway. Enjoy The Division everyone! That was a nice little bonus.

Off to install it now.

BigAT

Did anyone know about this? I ordered like 3/18 and nothing. Emailed them to ask if I can get one. What's the subject line of the email so I can search for it in case I got it

IMPORTANT: An update regarding your purchase with HP.com- <Order no.>

DirtyLarry

I ordered March 19th and no code. Does anyone have a link to the promotion?
Here is the page I said I found when I got the PC last week.
I forgot where I saw the dates it was valid but I did find that as well.

EDIT - Actually, I just clicked Terms & Conditions, and it is still valid it looks like, at least with the dates.
Free game code offer good from now through April 25, 2016 and code may be redeemed through May 31, 2016, or while supplies last.

Top Bottom