• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

BigAT

Any thoughts on connecting my traditional headset to this? No mic jack on the front and my cord isn't long enough to comfortably reach the back.

Namikaze

Had this in my cart again. Just as I had finally made up my mind to pull the trigger (again), the 980Ti got sold out. Wow, LOL. Guess I'll be waiting a little bit longer, now..

So The Division end game is hot garbage right now, but this game is awesome on this computer. For all of you that have a code coming, I recommend playing it. I think the codes are going for $20-30 in the B/S/T thread, but I think this game is definitely worth that price to play. I have a few days in on my Xbox character and it's so good on PC that I'm rolling through it again.

Also, for all you PC newbies, I signed up for Origin Access. It's $5 a month and you get access to a bunch of full EA Games for free, discounts on their games, and the ability to trial games when they come out. I was doing the same on X1 and loved it. Even if you use it just to try games for a month, they have BF4, Titanfall, Fifa 16, Sim City. Good stuff.

For all those looking to buy this computer. Do it! It's awesome.

Trouble

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on a 6700K+980Ti.

This is the second time I will have bought an HP desktop because of it being cheaper than building. The last time was 2 PCs ago when I bought a boxed Pavilion Elite e9180f at Fry's. The guts of that machine are still kicking ass my main Plex server (that i7 is a transcoding beast).

E: Ha! Found my post in the PC thread when I upgraded the e9180f.

So I'm having issues with my purchase. Playing dark souls 3 caused the computer to shut off almost like it lost power after about 10 or so minutes. I was using a MSI afterburner custom fan curve I copied from a few page back and thought maybe I messed something up with that so I went back to default..... Same thing happened.

I've installed a secondary hard drive, other than that it's all stock configuration. I'm thinking I must have a bad PSU? Any idears?

So I'm having issues with my purchase. Playing dark souls 3 caused the computer to shut off almost like it lost power after about 10 or so minutes. I was using a MSI afterburner custom fan curve I copied from a few page back and thought maybe I messed something up with that so I went back to default..... Same thing happened.

I've installed a secondary hard drive, other than that it's all stock configuration. I'm thinking I must have a bad PSU? Any idears?

You've only had issues so far with Dark Souls? I'd get something else loaded up and give that a try. I've played a ton of new games on mine, with the fan curve listed here, and haven't had any issues. Just finished playing a few hours of The Division maxed out.

You could have a bad PSU but I'd imagine it'd shut down as the GPU started pulling max power. It taking 10 minutes is weird. As far as heat is concerned, I think the GPU throttles back at 83c, but doesn't cause the computer to shut down.

Kezen

Banned

As the above poster said it looks like a case of failing PSU. Tried any other reasonably taxing game ?

Manatox

It's a guesswork, but yes, it may be related to the PSU (can't supply enough power to PC, or it's faulty so it stops suppliying power for a moment causing it to shutdown).

Non stable overlocking may cause this too, but that would usually reset the PC instead shutting down completely.

You could try underclocking and lowering the voltage of the CPU/GPU to see if the problem persists, thus causing less power usage. If this fixes the problem, it's likely the problem is on the PSU not supplying enough power to run it properly by a small margin.

You've only had issues so far with Dark Souls?
It can't make it through the steam VR performance test either.

Right now HP customer support has connected remotely and are testing out a few different things. Oh and of course they tried to sell me a McAfee subscription. The worst.

Bigrx1

Banned
Just got mine today, will report any findings. I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of tons of bloatware. There is some, but not a lot. Easy to get rid of it all.

Was planning on switching out the PSU, may still do so but after cracking the case looks like it may be a bit of a bitch - everything is cramped in there tight.

Bigrx1

Banned
So far so good here, runs fairly quiet, went beast mode on 3dmark and haven't had any problems. I will say however that someone posted a custom fan curve for MSI Afterburner a few pages back and I had to go a bit more aggressive to keep the temps under 83c when hitting it hard. But after playing with it a little no longer going over 81c.

Was skeptical - but quite impressed thus far.

MBison

I got a response from HP regarding my whine about the Division code. They said if i was eligible it would be emailed to me tomorrow 4/25. Gave me a link to the promotion. May try emailing any contact there.

I got a response from HP regarding my whine about the Division code. They said if i was eligible it would be emailed to me tomorrow 4/25. Gave me a link to the promotion. May try emailing any contact there.

I sent an email and got no response. So today I talked with someone in chat that told me to call the main HP support(800-473-4732) which I will do tomorrow morning. We shall see how that goes. Honestly at this point I'm just curious on what the eligibility period was.

B.K.

I bit the bullet and just ordered one. It's got a shipping date of May 4. Now that I've ordered it, I have a couple questions.

I want to install a second hard drive. What's a good hard drive to buy? I haven't bought any internal hard drives in years.

What kind of cradle do I need add another hard drive? I've never had a computer that I needed a cradle to put in another hard drive.

My bedroom where the computer is going to be is very dusty. It doesn't matter how often I dust, there's always a layer on everything. Can I buy some dust filters and put in front of the air holes on the side of the case to try to keep some of the dust out or will that restrict the air flow too much?

I bit the bullet and just ordered one. It's got a shipping date of May 4. Now that I've ordered it, I have a couple questions.

I want to install a second hard drive. What's a good hard drive to buy? I haven't bought any internal hard drives in years.

What kind of cradle do I need add another hard drive? I've never had a computer that I needed a cradle to put in another hard drive.

My bedroom where the computer is going to be is very dusty. It doesn't matter how often I dust, there's always a layer on everything. Can I buy some dust filters and put in front of the air holes on the side of the case to try to keep some of the dust out or will that restrict the air flow too much?

For sure get an SSD, completely worth it. I purchased this one since there was a deal on it for $110 just as I ordered this PC back in March. You'll need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter or use some velcro to keep it in place.

I wouldn't worry about filters if your room is dusty. I have the same issue and just have my PC in a spot where I can easily spray it with compressed air every week. Just try and not put your PC on the floor or at the very least elevate it a couple of inches.

MBison

creatchee

Ok guys... So I'm a PC noob when it comes to settings, but since a lot of people in this thread got the same computer setup that I do, maybe you can help.

I went with the 6700K/980Ti/16GB RAM setup on a 60Hz, 1080P TV. I got the free code for The Division and I'm having problems running it at a steady 60FPS. I mean, a lot of the time it is at 60, but I get drops to the 40s on many outside areas and occasionally into the 30s. I have put all of my settings up too high or ultra and kept Supersampling at 100%, running on my SSD. It's not horrible, but I definitely noticed when the frame rate drops. I honestly didn't believe that was a thing from 60 to 40 when I was Xbox only, but yeah it is lol

Any suggestions on settings to run 1080P locked 60FPS with no drops or is it just the game?

CJVaughn

Banned
Ok guys... So I'm a PC noob when it comes to settings, but since a lot of people in this thread got the same computer setup that I do, maybe you can help.

I went with the 6700K/980Ti/16GB RAM setup on a 60Hz, 1080P TV. I got the free code for The Division and I'm having problems running it at a steady 60FPS. I mean, a lot of the time it is at 60, but I get drops to the 40s on many outside areas and occasionally into the 30s. I have put all of my settings up too high or ultra and kept Supersampling at 100%, running on my SSD. It's not horrible, but I definitely noticed when the frame rate drops. I honestly didn't believe that was a thing from 60 to 40 when I was Xbox only, but yeah it is lol

Any suggestions on settings to run 1080P locked 60FPS with no drops or is it just the game?
To troubleshoot we would need to know what all of your graphics settings are set to and what options you have enabled in GeForce Experience. But from what I can tell maxing everything to Ultra settings, even at 1080p, will net lower than 60 FPS at times with a 980 Ti

tom-clancys-the-division-nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-performance.png
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/tom-clancys-the-division-graphics-and-performance-guide

creatchee

Surfinn

Anyone take a look at temps who upgraded to the 6700k? Wondering if this thing is capable of OC without welding itself to the motherboard.

CJVaughn

Banned
Anyone take a look at temps who upgraded to the 6700k? Wondering if this thing is capable of OC without welding itself to the motherboard.
Personally, I would never overclock with a stock cooler. If you're determined to do so I would invest in a cheap closed-loop water cooler

Did you make that call? :)

Yeah I called that number and of course as I feared was connected to someone in India. I did the prompts and figured "order status" would be the correct route since my order isn't completed. After a couple of minutes I managed to get the rep to the page of the promotion and see that my order had the 980TI and he then wanted to transfer me to tech support. I said this isn't a technical issue, this is an order issue. Asked to speak to supervisor and none was available so just ended it.

So no dice. Going to send an email directly to HP Corporate and see what they tell me.

MBison

Yeah I called that number and of course as I feared was connected to someone in India. I did the prompts and figured "order status" would be the correct route since my order isn't completed. After a couple of minutes I managed to get the rep to the page of the promotion and see that my order had the 980TI and he then wanted to transfer me to tech support. I said this isn't a technical issue, this is an order issue. Asked to speak to supervisor and none was available so just ended it.

So no dice. Going to send an email directly to HP Corporate and see what they tell me.

Ugh that sucks ass. Let me know if you get any where.

Originally I was going to buy an Oculus Rift bundle with a gaming computer (GTX970, i5 6400) for about $1650 but Amazon told me that it wouldn't ship until June so I decided to do some research and jump on this deal instead. Ordered a really nice computer with a 980ti and an i7 6700 for around $1220. Sucks I won't be able to get an Oculus Rift until August at the earliest but at least I got a computer that is quite a bit more powerful than the one in the bundle and at a great price too.

B.K.

For sure get an SSD, completely worth it.

I paid the extra amount and got the 256gb SSD that they had as an option for the system. I want to get at least one hard drive to put in it to install software to and for storage.

Just try and not put your PC on the floor or at the very least elevate it a couple of inches.

It's going to be sitting on top of a dresser about four feet off the floor.

I paid the extra amount and got the 256gb SSD that they had as an option for the system. I want to get at least one hard drive to put in it to install software to and for storage.

It's going to be sitting on top of a dresser about four feet off the floor.

Yeah you shouldn't have any issues then as long as you just open it up every once and awhile and just blast it with compressed air. As for the HD, right now Newegg is selling 3TB WD reds for $107 which is pretty good. Even better if you don't get taxed. If not you can always wait around and look at deal sites and can pick up a 4-5TB external for roughly the same amount of money. Just yesterday Fry's was selling this so you might be able to jump in on it.

B.K.

As for the HD, right now Newegg is selling 3TB WD reds for $107 which is pretty good. Even better if you don't get taxed. If not you can always wait around and look at deal sites and can pick up a 4-5TB external for roughly the same amount of money. Just yesterday Fry's was selling this so you might be able to jump in on it.

So Reds are good enough? I've never bought an internal WD hard drive before, so I don't really know the difference between the colors. Unfortunately, I do have to pay taxes. Taxes took the computer itself to over $1400. :/

So Reds are good enough? I've never bought an internal WD hard drive before, so I don't really know the difference between the colors. Unfortunately, I do have to pay taxes. Taxes took the computer itself to over $1400. :/

Everyone will have their own experience with HD's and will swear by whatever has never given them issues. Personally I've never had major issues with WD's and use them pretty much exclusively for my NAS. Reds are meant primarily to be used in a NAS so on 24/7 and they also tend to have a longer warranty period.

So if you went with a WD 3TB Blue from Newegg you'd get 2 year warranty for ~$91. Where as the WD 3TB Red has a 3 year warranty for $107. Both are good options.

shangolin

Banned
I ordered mine April 8th and haven't gotten a Division code yet. Pretty annoying, especially with this deal being clearly advertised by Nvidia.

Still no email so I've written up a short email, but there's one problem - I can't seem to find an HP email that I should send it to. Does anyone know what the email address this type of complaint (no Division code despite promotion being advertised) should be directed to?

Anyone have luck on division emails?

Nothing yet. Just the confirmation of corporate receiving my email.

Still no email so I've written up a short email, but there's one problem - I can't seem to find an HP email that I should send it to. Does anyone know what the email address this type of complaint (no Division code despite promotion being advertised) should be directed to?

The only email that I found was myhpsales@hp.com. Thinking about it we might have a better shot at getting something done if we went through the Returns and Exchanges department.

Top Bottom