• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC shares crash, "brand, factories and buildings were worthless"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polk

they were one of the first trying to chase that model, and one of the early successes. they just squandered what little success they had by not innovating early enough. If an M7 like device came out a year earlier instead of the One X/One S with a decent marketing push they would be sitting pretty right now instead of on the brink of collapse.
I think it was mostly due Samsung's very aggresive marketing push and deals.
I'm not sure how it looks in US but in Poland (and probably most Europe) only their Windows Phone and M7 were pushed by carriers.
Samsung and lately Sony and Lumias are pushed everywhere from premium to budget.

YaGaMi

I think the M8 is great but they definitely dropped the ball with M9 or else I would've probably got one like many others would've too.

I think it was mostly due Samsung's very aggresive marketing push and deals.
I'm not sure how it looks in US but in Poland (and probably most Europe) only their Windows Phone and M7 were pushed by carriers.
Samsung and lately Sony and Lumias are pushed everywhere from premium to budget.

samsung relied on marketing to push itself to the top of the us market, yes, but if HTC had pushed for One M7 level refinement and design the same year samsung hit it big with the S3 and were able to market it even slightly well they would've easily been able to grow quickly. when the m7 did come out it was pushed somewhat hard by htc themselves at first, but then the marketing kind of fell apart halfway through the year. only the m8 really got decent marketing, and that was probably because htc was probably offering a better deal to carriers than samsung was.

My HTC Desire was a great first smartphone, but once Sony got their shit together with the Xperia Z line I moved on and never looked back.

Cipherr

HTC has been the best smartphone manufacturer for years. Their build quality is fantastic and better then the iphone.

This is like hearing Ferrari is losing marketshare to me. I hope HTC can turn it around.

Aluminum and metals as the body of a phone just dont matter that much. It never has mattered as much as forum posters and tech bloggers pretended it did. Their phones were pretty but thats never enough to save you.

Its wild how they used to dominate Android sales until the market got fucking tired of them shitting out 50 phones a year. They tried to turn it around but couldnt help themselves.

Launching the first "One" phone was supposed to unite under a single phone, and they still fucked it up by launching a shit storm of variations.

Condom

This is the reason WP or any other mobile OS should take some shares from Android.

The Android market space is unprofitable for many brands.

Maximus.

HTC has been the best smartphone manufacturer for years. Their build quality is fantastic and better then the iphone.

This is like hearing Ferrari is losing marketshare to me. I hope HTC can turn it around.

That has to be a sarcastic comment. You can judge the price of Apple products all you want, but to claim that HTC phones have better build quality than iPhones is laughable.

The HTC One was a well designed phone, I do believe that they made a mistake keeping the same design for the past 3 years. People get tired of seeing the same design 2 years in a row, but 3 years is really pushing it. It is crazy seeing how HTC has fallen over the years.

Goldrush

Had the Evo 3D and M7 and never had a problem with it beside the poor camera. They are both still working great today as media devices. Personally think the M7 is the most beautiful phone to date. Shame that the M8 ruins the aesthetic by making it seems like it have a shell.

la_briola

Cloud 9 throwing companies now too.

XS5LK.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Own a one, was considering on moving to a galaxy anyways, this just confirms it for me. Only real issue I had with my one is the damn purple camera. Nothing I tried fixed it.

gcubed

They started their downfall with their shitty SenseUI and their refusal to make it not be a giant piece of shit. When they finally started streamlining their OS it was too late.

Karsha

There was a point in time when HTC was the first android choice, made some great phones.
After that they got lost in the way with faulty hardwares, bad designs etc. All of their premium devices lacked something, sometimes the camera,sometimes laggy. It's a shame though, having some competition in the android marked would be great, now it seems that only Samsung makes the real premiums with Sony considering the end of its mobile division and the Chinese companies thinking mostly for their inner market

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty crazy how big brand loyalty seems to be with smartphones. I can't think of a family member that owns a phone that isn't Samsung or Apple, aside from myself (Nexus 5).

I had an HTC Windows Phone previously. My experience with WP was actually pretty good. My experience with HTC, not so much, given they dropped support for the phone practically a few months after it came out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
that's what you get for trying to make a premium phone that isn't an iPhone. That market doesn't exist any more. Samsung will find that out soon.

shink

I quite liked my M7, but upgraded to LG G3 for the better camera. M8 and M9 kept largely the same design wise was also a negative in deciding on a new phone. Shame

FZZ

Banned
My M7 has basically been dying on me for the past year and a half I have had it.

Battery life dies within half a day use. Camera has a purple/red hue. Games make the phone overheat to crazy levels (don't even want to imagine how bad the M9 is in that regard). Front facing speakers have gotten quieter as time has gone on to the point where my friend's iPhone 4 is louder when used. Micro USB port has been damaged and any time I insert a cable to charge it easily slips out making charging and using the phone ten times more annoying than it needs to be.

The last two points seem to be exclusive to my phone, but the issues are definitely enough to where I am looking at either the new Moto X or iPhone 6S for my upgrade. Didn't even consider HTC.

I've moved on from my 8X, but it's a decent device: looks good and performs well. However, it was released as one of the Windows Phone 8 flagships and seeing how poorly WP8 did it's rather symptomatic of their troubles.

I thought the One was amazing but the M8 and M9 did nothing to convince me to buy it; it was a step back in some instances.

My M7 has basically been dying on me for the past year and a half I have had it.

Battery life dies within half a day use. Camera has a purple hue. Games make the phone overheat to crazy levels (don't even want to imagine how bad the M9 is in that regard). Front facing speakers have gotten quieter as time has gone on to the point where my friends iPhone 4 is louder when used. Micro USB port has been damaged and any time I insert a cable to charge it easily slips out making charging and using the phone ten times more annoying than it needs to be.

The last two points seem to be exclusive to my phone, but the issues are definitely enough to where I am looking at either the new Moto X or iPhone 6S for my upgrade. Didn't even consider HTC.

Nop. My M7 has all this + a power button hard to press because it was stuck inside the phone and bad finishing that made it look like an artisan product.

kirby_fox

Banned
Currently I have an M8 (since a little after it launched) and I've had no issues with it for the year plus I've had it. Not even battery life issues. My phone before that I liked too, was also an HTC.

I like them way better than Samsung and Sony's offerings.

Bummer. I enjoyed my G1 (sturdy little gadget, dropped it a gajillion times without it breaking) before I moved to iPhone. Sadly, I just couldn't go back.

Reallink

Doesn't bode well for Vive and by extension Valve VR in general. People might have reservations buying $600+ hardware from a company that might not be around for the warranty period.

jey_16

Banned
i had a One (M7), that was a great phone. For the time, it was the first android phone to match or exceed Apple in terms of design and build quality.

Problem is that they just have not improved since then, mainly in regards to the camera and battery life.

I loved my One M7 for maybe its first half a year. Then the camera started crapping out and updates started screwing up the software.

Now it's a buggy mess with a completely unusable camera.

Moving on from my M7 in about a month. Think I'm going with the LG G4. Having the same battery issues that others have mentioned and the overheating too.

What was wrong with the One M9?

>only slight changes to the M8. normally that would be fine, but everybody else started to step up their game, especially samsung, and the one trump card the M8 had (better design) isn't a trump card anymore.
>the slight changes to the design that are there are for the worse. it doesn't look any nicer (some would say it looks uglier) and it has a worse in hand feel due to sharp edges that weren't there before.
>htc sense is starting to feel meh after almost nonexistent changes from the m8, which in turn only slightly changed from the m7. blinkfeed and the like are still worthless
>the camera, which was supposed to fix the biggest flaw of the m8, is inexplicably worse and was ranked as one of the worst cameras in the smartphone world.
>on top of all that, the snapdragon 810 inside overheats, which means the phone heats up and makes it uncomfortable to hold. to offset that, the SoC gets throttled, which means it ends up performing worse than even the M8 did, despite the fact the M8 has what should be a worse chipset.

so really it's a mess of a phone all around and worst of all were that there were rumors of a somewhat radical redesign before the phone unveiled that got everybody excited. despite the fact that they weren't true, you had htc designers and other execs on twitter hyping up the announcement and making it seem like those rumors were correct. so instead of this:

evl-m9-render-leak.jpg

we got this:

htc-one-m9-1.jpg

which looks almost identical to this:

HTC-One-M8-hero-press-shot.jpg

DedValve

Banned
That mockup with the physical button hhhhnnggg.

I love Samsungs physical home button but hate most everything else about their phones. Wish M9 had that button.

Sad to see HTC going down like this but Sony seems to have been killing it lately. Those xperias are looking mighty nice.

I love Samsungs physical home button but hate most everything else about their phones. Wish M9 had that button.

Sad to see HTC going down like this but Sony seems to have been killing it lately. Those xperias are looking mighty nice.

they did put out this monstrostity

44a234b81d.jpg

it's so awkward with it in the middle of the speaker grille

Which Xperia? The Z? Z1? Z2? Z3? Z4? They all look the same to me.

I have an M9 and it's awesome. The marketing is fucking awful though.

"let them stare!"

... Ok...

Ummm how about telling people about the awesome build quality and the fucking awesome audio on this beast?

RevoDS

I look back fondly at the HTC Desire Z that introduced me to smartphones. Wish HTC had kept up, they're basically the only Android manufacturer I respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom