• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC shares crash, "brand, factories and buildings were worthless"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arondight

Went through two HTC phones. Never again. Poor battery and poor Cameras with each iteration promising to rectify them and somehow end up worse.

Mooreberg

Windows Phone is circling the drain, and what exists for it in terms of audience is completely dominated by the Lumia line.

HTC has made a bunch of bad decisions. As much as I hate the (now rapidly eroding) contract system, not having the One M7 immediately available on Verizon in 2013 was a colossal blunder. It was not even an option for the people on Verizon upgrading from a Galaxy S2. They paid Robert Downey Jr a boatload of money for terrible commercials, while Samsung got the actual Marvel marketing. The cameras on their phones have been lousy for a while (why go with Toshiba for a 20MP sensor that gets outpermformed by older midrange phones?) and the battery life is always worse than the resolution/mAh quotient can account for. They do not manufacture SoCs, so when Samsung was dodging the early Snapdragon 810 tire fire, HTC was not.

You cannot really do what they have been doing and get away with it unless you have a marketing budget far beyond their capacity. Apple, Samsung, and LG have been safer bets for people who walk into carrier stores without doing much research. The enthusiast crowd wants better hardware than they have been delivering at particular price points, so Chinese OEMs (which now includes Motorola) have them cornered there. They should have put themselves in better position to capitalize on the impending demise of large scale phone susidies.

Dicer

Banned
I loved my Rezound as a device, but the support was utter shit, scared me off of the One and any other future devices...sorry to see them go, but not totally shocked.

HeySeuss

Damn I still have my original Droid Incredible that my son now uses and it runs like a champ. Its gotta be 6 years old by now.

HTC always seemed to make decent quality handsets.

Did anyone have an HTC HD 2?

That was an amazing phone. You could run any android or windows OS on it. Plus the removable battery.

I finally moved to the M7 because it's just gorgeous. Still my daily use phone. I agree that it runs hot for gaming due to the aluminum body but a plastic case helps.

I really want them to pull out of this slump. You could argue that apple had comparable build quality (or better) to HTC but you can't say that for Samsung with its plastic casing. HTC deserves to be in this market.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
First two smartphones I had were HTC. First the Desire and then the One XL. Both were great phones, awesome build quality, just really nice. But they had absolute shit battery.

I don't know how HTC couldn't get their shit together. They made beautiful phones, but couldn't give them a battery worth a damn and just didn't market them well enough.

CornDogg

Still using the EVO 4G LTE. Its been a pretty good phone for the last few years. Was looking to upgrade to the M9, but they stuck with the M8 design that I wasn't a fan of. Dat bezel.

Samsung piqued my interest with the S6, but things came up and I haven't gotten around to upgrading. Now I may as well wait until the next batch of flagships next year.

My HTC one M8 is pretty OK except for how I can't use it when I'm all sweaty because it makes the speaker fade out. Good times. Also the Battery and Camera are garbage.

Actually it's a bad phone.

Wulfric

That's a shame, I happen to like my M8. I had no idea they were floundering.

Then again, they are competing with the likes of Apple, Samsung, and a variety of other manufacturers. There's only so much market share to go around. Not to mention the margins on hardware.

SoulClap

I've had a M7 for a couple years now and I'm still happy with it. I flashed the GPE rom a while ago and I haven't had any issues with the software.

macewank

Shame.

Their android hardware is top notch stuff. Love the build quality of dang near every HTC I've owned. Sense can screw right off though. It's horrible and they should've just stayed with stock.

Korgill

I still like my Droid DNA, but there is little chance I would choose another HTC to replace it. They haven't really competed in years.

Cheesehead9099

Neo Member
Sad. I loved my One m7 and my Galaxy s6 has been nothing but garbage since I got it. Apps crash, touchwiz is still shit, ok google barely works, and the battery life is terrible. I miss the HTC of 2011.

Will likely be switching to Apple cause of this.

Man, my first ever smartphone was an HTC Incredible S. After about a year, phone internet reception slowed to a crawl and eventually I couldn't use my data at all.

Aside from that, it was a very nice phone though.

The reason they're chasing high end smartphones is that there's barely any profit in the other segments.

There's a medium between the two. I hate when people think that having a 2% profit margin (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei, other low cost high spec manufacturers) and a 30% profit margin (Apple, Samsung) are the only two choices. Motorola strikes a brilliant balance between the two with lower priced "flagships" and have done excellent.

Nikodemos

There's a medium between the two. I hate when people think that having a 2% profit margin (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei, other low cost high spec manufacturers) and a 30% profit margin (Apple, Samsung) are the only two choices. Motorola strikes a brilliant balance between the two with lower priced "flagships" and have done excellent.
To be honest, it's where I want/wish Microsoft will eventually end up with their offerings. They don't have the halo appeal of Apple/Samsung, but definitely need to stay away from the poverty line of the myriad Chinese manufacturers.

htc1qnssf.jpg

No way lmao

Good. They slaughter Android release after release with their shit Sense software. They not only hurt themselves, but Android as well. Someone who buys an HTC and hates it will then think all Androids suck and move to iOS.

Hopefully this roller coaster keeps heading down

No way lmao

Good. They slaughter Android release after release with their shit Sense software. They not only hurt themselves, but Android as well. Someone who buys an HTC and hates it will then think all Androids suck and move to iOS.

Hopefully this roller coaster keeps heading down

they don't hurt android nearly as much as samsung does with its shitty touchwiz. which is part of the reason why as soon as apple introduced a bigger iphone a shitton of people went back to ios.

Brhoom

Banned
my phone is still an m7 and it's great, but I joined snapchat and found out this pink hue on my phone that got more strong the darker the image and video I took, found out that it is a hardware glitch and can't be fixed.... and the video quality... felt like I was taking a video in a nokia 6600 no kidding.

I remember when I got my htc desire hd I think, everyone was amazed by the camera quality and asked what is this beautiful phone? even got a friend and two family members to buy it, sure it had some flaws but still... I hope they can recover from this :(

D23

I hated my HTC ONE M7, that piece of shit phone died on me twice and plague with so many problems (purple screen, cameras crapping out)

not surprsed

samn

Have they? Motorola still aren't profitable.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/lenovo-ceo-motorola-will-be-profitable-within-6-quarters.html

Lenovo CEO: Motorola Will Be Profitable Within 6 Quarters (Feb 2014)

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/03/lenovo-says-motorola-will-be-profitable-with-18-months/

Lenovo Says Motorola Will Be Profitable Within 18 Months (Feb 2015)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Every single HTC I have ever owned has been fine for a few months then literally fell apart/ended up keeping a battery charge for a mere couple of hours at best.

Same here. They know how to build a good device, but not how to make it last.

Matty8787

Don't go with Oneplus unless you want faulty hardware and god awful support.

And in my opinion brilliant hardware with quick, reliable support.

The phone was a beast and I miss it now I have the G4, and as for support the one issue I did have was resolved via email within a few hours.

Polk

they don't hurt android nearly as much as samsung does with its shitty touchwiz. which is part of the reason why as soon as apple introduced a bigger iphone a shitton of people went back to ios.
Did Samsung ever told anyone that their phone won't recieve OS update because their next version of shitty UI requires more memory? Because that's what HTC told everyone with original Desire. Good for cyanogenmod and other roms, fuck HTC.

Damaniel

Banned
For all the decent phones that HTC made, the only one I ever owned was a huge turd - the Rezound. Bulky, slow, required shorting two pads inside the case with a piece of wire to root the stupid thing - I was very glad when I got around to replacing it with something else.

So surprised there are people that are so unhappy with the M7. I've had mine since launch and loved it to death. I guess if you play games on it perhaps? I know that will kill the battery. But as far as casual usage, I still love the look and feel much more than Samsung's TouchWiz and the like.

So surprised there are people that are so unhappy with the M7. I've had mine since launch and loved it to death. I guess if you play games on it perhaps? I know that will kill the battery. But as far as casual usage, I still love the look and feel much more than Samsung's TouchWiz and the like.

Most of these people have had it for like 2 years+. How many phones these days even last that long or longer?

HoodWinked

Gold Member
bleh im not talking about htc but i really hate all these underpowered android devices hitting the market every chinese corporation shitting them out devaluing all devices. basically hurts all the decent flagship phones as they also are influenced by this downward spiral.

Nikodemos

Most of these people have had it for like 2 years+. How many phones these days even last that long or longer?
My LG Optimus One (P500) soldiered on from mid-2011 to mid-late 2014. It still held a decent charge three years later (though the buttons started getting a bit wonky in functionality).

And I'm not gentle with my phones (though I tend not to drop them; I think I dropped the P500 a total of three times, and every time on wood/carpeting).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
HTC has been the best smartphone manufacturer for years. Their build quality is fantastic and better then the iphone.

This is like hearing Ferrari is losing marketshare to me. I hope HTC can turn it around.

Dont worry Ferrari is on fire.

jelly

Never knew HTC was short for 'High Tech Computer". Neat.

How easily you go down the wrong path and branding is the sucker punch. Kinda feels like there isn't much money in smartphones unless your Apple. Samsung look similar to HTC, branding isn't that clear and it seems a new batch of phones are out quickly plus extra bloat. It's the sheer dominant advertising that is barely keeping Samsung up there and even then looks like it doesn't work so well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom