• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC: There's a 'big story' regarding the Vive's launch games (TechRadar article)

It's Half Life 3 and/or Portal 3

And for those of you who haven't tried VR (and likely hate it because you haven't tried it) there will be non-VR flavors of both games. Hence "HL3 is not a VR game". Cause it's half-VR.

This move will kill any momentum Oculus has.

Everything about this post mad me LOL. From stating that it's definitely this or that to "half-VR" to killing Oculus' momentum. Where do people come up with this nonsense?

LAA

Portal VR is what I was thinking, which will annoyingly push me to Vive if it's exclusive.
"...not be terribly competitive", yeah just Oculus/Vive both seem to be getting exclusive titles, competitive already.

213372bu

Banned
I really doubt Valve on making VR exclusive titles.

It's clear they don't expect a large majority of their base to purchase Vive.

In fact it's been said lots of times that it isn't really targeted to consumers.

I'm more than convinced this won't end up being too terribly exciting lol

Portal VR is what I was thinking, which will annoyingly push me to Vive if it's exclusive.
"...not be terribly competitive", yeah just Oculus/Vive both seem to be getting exclusive titles, competitive already.

Neither HTC nor Valve are actively seeking out exclusives and making deals. Not the same as Oculus who have timed or full exclusives lined up.

Waveset

Interesting so many insiders know for a fact that HL3 isn't coming. That was also a fact about Last Guardian not long ago.

Valve's Marketing Team has such an easy ride ...the slightest mention of HL3 and the rabid Gaming Journos does their job for them.

seesh!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I really doubt Valve on making VR exclusive titles.

It's clear they don't expect a large majority of their base to purchase Vive.

In fact it's been said lots of times that it isn't really targeted to consumers.

So exactly what are they doing for VR?

It'll be one of their tentpole first person franchises ported to VR, almost assuredly.

I know this is GAF, the city of dreamers, but nobody in their right minds would think that after all the hype that Valve would pull a "and it's available right now!" thing with L4D3, Portal 3 or especially Half-Life 3?

I'm sorry, zero chance there. If any of those ever happen to exist (which we know, at the very least, L4D3 will), it will be a much bigger deal than a launch title for a VR headset they're backing the development of.
RmqvbaQ.gif

UrbanRats

It'll be one of their tentpole first person franchises ported to VR, almost assuredly.

I know this is GAF, the city of dreamers, but nobody in their right minds would think that after all the hype that Valve would pull a "and it's available right now!" thing with L4D3, Portal 3 or especially Half-Life 3?

I'm sorry, zero chance there. If any of those ever happen to exist (which we know, at the very least, L4D3 will), it will be a much bigger deal than a launch title for a VR headset they're backing the development of.
RmqvbaQ.gif

I agree with your conclusion, but the Vive is more Valve's than HTC's.
Also, they did force people to use Steam if they wanted to play Half Life 2, not exactly the same thing, but also not entirely out of the realm of possibilities, after all Gabe Newell said if HL3 were to ever come out, it wouldn't be a traditional 60$ single player game.

I think a spin off of Portal/L4D designed around VR is more likely.

UrbanRats

Anyone knows whether its possible that Oculus games or Vive games can be played on the other Headset?

Since neither is officially out, it's hard to say, really.
Plenty of games are multiplatform, but i'm not sure how easy it is to port from one to the other and how viable it'll be to play, say, Oculus exclusives with the Vive (or even if it'll be legal to do so).

Anyone knows whether its possible that Oculus games or Vive games can be played on the other Headset?

Developers will need to add support for those. What Valve touts with SteamVR is that it's HW agnostic, so technically games made with it can work on both Vive and Rift, but it's not there yet, Rift's SDK is more advanced.

jax

Banned
Valve should really be saving this as a trump card. Oculus marketing notable exclusives? BAM! Orange Box 2 VR Vive exclusive. RIP Oculus.

The last thing Valve will make is a singleplayer game imo. Especially since it would probably be a PC exclusive.
L4D3 sounds more plausible, especially since you could make the game focused around user created content and F2P mechanics they use in Team Fortress 2.

If they really would make a HL3 (that's singleplayer focused), I would immediately buy the headcrab Vive edition. :D Just make it happen Gabe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Half-Life: Source 2 with VR support.

- Screencap this post, I'm pretty this will happen -

When HL2 launched it made an impact on the gaming world for the fresh shooting mecanics, great graphics and interesting storytelling in 2004, 11 years later almost everything has been said and done in shooters BUT they can make HL3 to have the same impact as HL2 making the best VR FPS ever with controls adjusted to VR environment, perfect graphics and atmosphere making it a perfect boom to the gaming world and surpass the already high expectations for the game.

It won't be for launch though, but this will happen!

Again, first person shooters in VR make a large part of the audience sick. So no, this probably won't happen, unless someone figures out how to fix that (clue: Oculus spent a lot of time and money on the problem, eventually said that it would take a medical breakthrough). Some companies will release FPS games anyways, for the people who got used to it or have a not-so-sensitive sense of balance, but Valve has made it a big point that even a moment of sickness is a mistake, which is why they designed the Vive primarily around standing and walking experiences. So don't expect Valve to release a VR FPS anytime soon.

I wonder what he actually saw. I mean of course I see the potentiality of the technology but, where magic leap was in an older video.... seems some ways off. It would have to be pretty amazing for him to leave. That or a sweet benefits package.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm not that interested in HL3, but imagine it releasing with HL3's Source SDK. Drag drop your own environments and immediately physically walk around in them. I.. ah.. my knees... I need to sit down.

kpaadet

Again, first person shooters in VR make a large part of the audience sick. So no, this probably won't happen, unless someone figures out how to fix that (clue: Oculus spent a lot of time and money on the problem, eventually said that it would take a medical breakthrough). Some companies will release FPS games anyways, for the people who got used to it or have a not-so-sensitive sense of balance, but Valve has made it a big point that even a moment of sickness is a mistake, which is why they designed the Vive primarily around standing and walking experiences. So don't expect Valve to release a VR FPS anytime soon.
The future have never sounded so boring.

UrbanRats

^^^Only Valve is so adamant to that philosophy though.
I mean Sony clearly doesn't give a damn, or a game like Rigs would not exist.

I'll say, Valve is now very concerned by motion sickness and that's fine, good even, but Half Life 2 is probably the first title where i've seriously felt intense motion sickness from playing an FPS.
And from then on their titles (L4D, Portal) were among the worst offenders in that department for me.
So just like developers have mostly ignored people who get motion sick on 2d screens (me with many FPS games) i'm sure a lot of devs will choose to ignore VR sickness, if the pool of "casualties" is small enough.

So somethings suppose to happen today then.

Some people still believe this is coming out (even with a limited release) in 2015? I mean, what, are they going to show the consumer design, price, line up, price and open orders (not just pre-orders) in a week? The year is over.

Gussemke

Neo Member
It became nothing,,,,,, only the glorified Everest Demo,, and Sadly, Valves name has been dragged through the dirt :(

Top Bottom