• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
334hzz5.png

EmCeeGramr said:
the game is just not balanced for lean

a thousand leaners, an army of tilting warriors, rushing the stronghold. what force can repel their off-balance fury? bullets cannot stop them, for they are leaning out of the way; where a juicy brain should be, only air, for the head has relocated several degrees laterally. the tower of pisa looms in the distance, an apocryphal galileo dropping weights from its height.

but in the end gravity wins the day. they have all fallen over, for in leaning there is no balance.

The visual imagery that comes with this post is breath-taking.

MMaRsu

Banned
250px-Qui_gon_jinn_from_movie.jpg

"We have found this man, will he be the one to bring balance to the lean? "

yoda.jpg

"Hmm great fear I sense in him, he will not be trained in the balance ways"

kotick.jpg

"There is no balance in lean!"

Mrbob said:
I never thought I would see the day when I would be pining for the next Treyarch CoD game instead.

Hopefully WaW goes on sale on steam again for $24.99. I will pick it up. I want to try out those zombie maps anyway.

That game is surprisingly good. Believe it or not I liked the single player in WaW better than MW. And Nazi Zombies was brilliant.

Talamius

Mrbob said:
DoW2 require steam too which makes this decision even stranger. Unless it is a different 3rd party client D2D is talking about. I can't think of any. Perhaps a journalist should dig deeper on the topic!

I was thinking the same thing...are we absolutely sure this is about Steam, or is it about some sort of DRM IW is requiring?

Firestorm

Talamius said:
I was thinking the same thing...are we absolutely sure this is about Steam, or is it about some sort of DRM IW is requiring?
I don't see Fox/IGN/D2D giving up sales of the biggest game of the year because it requires Steam while they still have another Steam game on their site. Maybe Activision did an exclusivity deal with Valve for digital distribution?

Fragamemnon said:
not balanced for precision PC aiming but insanely-zoomed console FOV aimbottery not balanced for leaning
next up, mw3 locked at 1024*600

"the game is not balanced for being able to make out more detail"

epmode

EmCeeGramr said:

a thousand leaners, an army of tilting warriors, rushing the stronghold. what force can repel their off-balance fury? bullets cannot stop them, for they are leaning out of the way; where a juicy brain should be, only air, for the head has relocated several degrees laterally. the tower of pisa looms in the distance, an apocryphal galileo dropping weights from its height.

but in the end gravity wins the day. they have all fallen over, for in leaning there is no balance.
I want to hug this post.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so i dont think ANY pc gamer is going to bother with this game
the only ppl i could possibly see buying it are console players who happen to have a gaming pc :lol

Vinci

Danish
coamithra said:
I'd dare to hypothesize that the single player campaign was the largest factor in MW's success

You might 'dare to hypothesize' that, but don't take it too seriously, mmkay?

X26

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

the feature being gone is worth it for this post alone :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I just realized something. People who probably don't give a shit about dedicated servers are now bitching about the whole private party chat thing on live. Seems like these issues only matter when it hits home. :p

EmCeeGramr said:

The mental imagery of this is amazing. :lol

Cheeto

firehawk12 said:
You know, I just realized something. People who probably don't give a shit about dedicated servers are now bitching about the whole private party chat thing on live. Seems like these issues only matter when it hits home. :p
Well of course, why should they care when they've been perfectly content with laggy games since Xbox 1.

Lothars

firehawk12 said:

I care about both because both party chat on 360 and dedicated servers on PC are big things for me which is why it makes a big issue especially how IW and activision are treating us customer.

VaLiancY

I'm not buying this game but at the same time I don't want people to think I'm trolling game because of that, which is why I'm going to say it here and not the other threads.

I've always felt CoD's single player campaigns biggest strength and weakness was it's scripted events, when you go through the game on your first time, the amazing set pieces they craft are very action oriented and reward but when you see the same strafing run it has diminishing returns. The A.I was always the same actions of firing, taking cover, tossing grenades and nothing else. This is why I loved Halo's enemy A.I and different archetypes because they offered a challenge.

firehawk12 said:

Different things though-the chat stuff is to close a cheating loophole, which is important when you're on a platform where the gamers would stab their mothers if it helped them boost cheeves faster, and on the other hand you've got a lack of the most fundamental building block of online PC FPS gameplay and community being omitted.

Cheeto

Zeliard said:
Where the fuck are these balls and this sense in the rest of the industry?

Good on Ars Technica for not kowtowing to major corporations like the spineless gaming industry is.
I look forward to every other sites' stories once sales numbers are released. Surely, in sites like IGN and GiantBomb, the PC sales will be low because piracy is out of control.

MutFox

Banned
Dear Infinity Ward,

#$% You!

Seriously, you made a ton of cash with the last game,
and you couldn't use some of those profits to make a proper PC port?

Infinity Ward,
you guys are just greedy #$%'s!

The sad part is that this was my most anticipated multiplayer game of the year.
Now I won't ever buy it!

Though it was nice of you to tell us how $%^ this game would be,
before I could pre-order on Steam.

Thanks!

Neuromancer said:
The visual imagery that comes with this post is breath-taking.
silverbullet1080 said:
The mental imagery of this is amazing. :lol
Well what is it? Visual or mental? Make up your minds!

Also, good on Ars for saying it like it is. What a load of crap MW2 PC is shaping up to be.

My nephew wants this game so bad for xbox 360.
I want to make him happy for christmas, but I don't want to support this tomfoolery and assbuttery. I shall buy him lips instead.

my life is hard.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
lowlylowlycook said:
I don't understand. In what way is the 360 version better than the PC version?

In that the console version is on par with other console shooters but the PC version of MW2 is so stripped down that other PC shooters vastly outclass it. Why play MW2 when you can pick from a billion other shooters that actually take advantage of the hardware?

So even though the PC version will still be superior to the console version, it's still garbage compared to the other options on PC :lol

WaltJay

out0v0rder said:
My nephew wants this game so bad for xbox 360.
I want to make him happy for christmas, but I don't want to support this tomfoolery and assbuttery. I shall buy him lips instead.

my life is hard.

Just buy him a used copy. No money to Activision and your nephew gets his game. Everyone's a winner! :lol

Tim-E

Enosh said:
what the hell has steam to do with anything?
DoW2 is on there, E:TW is on there F.E.A.R. 2 is on there, all games that require steam activation

I was just about to say this. :lol
I think it's just an excuse to not sell it. <3 you, D2D.

Javaman

BAH...
http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=422354

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 05, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) today announced better-than-expected financial results for the third quarter 2009.

For the quarter ended September 30, 2009, Activision Blizzard's GAAP net revenues were $703 million, as compared to the company's prior GAAP net revenue outlook of $680 million. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's net revenues were $755 million, as compared with its prior non-GAAP net revenues outlook of $700 million.

For the quarter ended September 30, 2009, Activision Blizzard's GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.01, as compared to its prior GAAP loss per diluted share outlook of $0.03. On a non-GAAP basis, the company's earnings per diluted share were $0.04, as compared to its prior non-GAAP earnings per diluted share outlook of $0.03.

kaRMa: Please give me a direct answer. On the PC version. Are all games hosted by players, and is there a five-second delay when host migration is in effect?

Vince-IW: yes.

so erm. forgive me for being perhaps shortsighted but whats to stop two people greifing by creating a server then having one leave and join and so on creating this endless loop where you wait 5 seconds for the host to migrate?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Blue Geezer said:
so erm. forgive me for being perhaps shortsighted but whats to stop two people greifing by creating a server then having one leave and join and so on creating this endless loop where you wait 5 seconds for the host to migrate?
Players don't get to choose who hosts.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So I'm clear since I haven't played COD4 in a while but was 4 ran this way on consoles or is this a completely different way or hosting for MW2?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
So I'm clear since I haven't played COD4 in a while but was 4 ran this way on consoles or is this a completely different way or hosting for MW2?

it's the same. They've never had servers.

Mrbob

Enosh said:
what the hell has steam to do with anything?
DoW2 is on there, E:TW is on there F.E.A.R. 2 is on there, all games that require steam activation

It says 3rd party client, but in all actuality that has to be steam. You would think so at least, as PC MW2 requires steam to run. But D2D does sell other 3rd party steamworks games.

Of course, maybe it isn't steam and we are all in for another nice surprise before the game is out.

Puck said:
Updated it a little

2mgqzw3.png

edit: fixt

Fucking ridiculous. I never got Cod4 for the almighty PC (I didn't have a good PC when it came out). I may as well get that and just try my best to forget about MW2.

That won't happen :(

Enosh

you know a question about that chart
you 100% sure the game was 50$ in australia/nz upon release? beacose it sure as hell wasn't here (it actualy still isn't)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Agh, so many terrible moves.

And now i'm hearingWell, from 4chan trolls/idiots, and a guy i knew from college who said this to me on facebook:
"Lol. Should be fine on my console, seems I've gotten the better version, also dual shotguns sounds awesome.
You also forget that things are becoming much more casual. You either get used to it and have fun, or you oppose it and just act all retarded and moody, pc gaming is dead."

This guy used to be a huge PC gamer too :'(

Enosh said:
you know a question about that chart
you 100% sure the game was 50$ in australia/nz upon release? beacose it sure as hell wasn't here (it actualy still isn't)

When the game was released, Steam had it for $50. Then a week later, Activision had the price corrected to ~$80.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
that's the one thing that doesn't bother me actually, i haver never used lean in COD4, fuck i didn't even know it was there?
Generally i use it when i know of it, i might fire it up now and try it. I used it a fair bit in FEAR and FEAR2.

Top Bottom