• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

I posted it in the official thread, but it might actually fit better in this thread.

Check_5F00_Blog01.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
iamcool388 said:
I posted it in the official thread, but it might actually fit better in this thread.

Check_5F00_Blog01.jpg
This is awesome. Love it.

D4Danger said:
it's the same. They've never had servers.
So this is the way it was before except now there will be host migration. I guess this is better for consoles but fuck it all if PC isn't getting a big stick in the ass. Sad.

Thanks for answering.

LiquidMetal14

brain_stew said:
You were able to lean in every previous PC version of COD, all 5 of them.
Getting more and more upset. I knew this change was taking place but much like salt on the wound, it won't go away.

i really don't understand how they can make games without leaning. soldiers normally lean around corners -_-

same with bc2, i heard you can't go prone. totally stupid decision too.

Puck said:
Updated it a little

2mgqzw3.png

edit: fixt

That's pretty sad indeed, but how is "Require latest patch to play online" on there? Is it really possible to play mismatched versions in COD4? And so long as the patch is free (but who knows with IW) I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing.

markot

Banned
brain_stew said:
You were able to lean in every previous PC version of COD, all 5 of them.
Honestly though. Who leans?

If you are behind a wall, the most obvious thing to do is to walk out and stand in full view and shoot. Not use the wall for some kind of cover or something. Thats just crazy talk.

LiquidMetal14

markot said:
Honestly though. Who leans?

If you are behind a wall, the most obvious thing to do is to walk out and stand in full view and shoot. Not use the wall for some kind of cover or something. Thats just crazy talk.
Lean is VERY important. This is a tactical kind of game. Same thing as in a game like Rainbow Six. Lean is important.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Lean is VERY important. This is a tactical kind of game. Same thing as in a game like Rainbow Six. Lean is important.

I dunno, I wouldnt call MW2 tactical. Its no Socom... its seems pretty run and gun to me.

Puck

Banned
faceless007 said:
That's pretty sad indeed, but how is "Require latest patch to play online" on there? Is it really possible to play mismatched versions in COD4? And so long as the patch is free (but who knows with IW) I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing.
There was dedicated servers hosting every patched and unpatched version of the game.

So if you just installed COD4 now, you can find servers without patching. If you patch to 1.1 for instance you will have different servers to the latest 1.7 patch or 1.6 patch. Basically you have the option to play whatever version of the game you like, now you will be forced the latest patch, you might not like some of the changes.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Puck said:
There was dedicated servers hosting every patched and unpatched version of the game.

So if you just installed COD4 now, you can find servers without patching. If you patch to 1.1 for instance you will have different servers to the latest 1.7 patch or 1.6 patch. Basically you have the option to play whatever version of the game you like, now you will be forced the latest patch, you might not like some of the changes.

There are a few problems with COD4's online that could easily have been fixed though.
This wasn't one, but finding and downloading them was. Unless you could do it from the disc menu? I just have the 1.1-1.6 and 1.6-1.7 installers saved anyway.
Having to press ESC to stop searching, then go back to the list.
Shoddy friends system (remind me what friends system is in place again?).

Jackl

LiquidMetal14 said:
It is but I guess my main point is that lean is utilized.

Lean was the reason I stood half a chance against the PC gods. There are over a hundred spots in the various maps where leans turns shitty positions into great ones.

Enosh

Activision Not Concerned With Modern Warfare 2 PC Negativity
Publisher wants to 'improve the consumer experience.'

November 5, 2009 - The outcry over the missing features for the PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 hasn't had much of an effect.

Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith commented in today's 3rd quarter financial call about the company's outlook for the PC version given the title's recent negative feedback. Griffith says the lack of dedicated servers will provide a much friendlier user experience.

"We're of course watching this very carefully and paying attention to it. But we're not overly concerned about it," said Griffith. "We think one of the problems with our PC SKUs on this title in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be."

"Our solution here improves that consumer experience overall by a significant margin. So we think the benefits that we'll see are going to far outweigh any negatives that seem to be surfacing," he added.

Back when it was revealed Modern Warfare 2 won't have dedicated server functionality, an online petition was started, which currently has 180,000 digital signatures. Infinity Ward would later explain the sequel would be using the developer's new multiplayer service called IWNET. The service is said to streamline matchmaking and private matches, among other features.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1042836p1.html

go GAF, amuse me :lol

LiquidMetal14 said:
It is but I guess my main point is that lean is utilized.

I guess that makes every game with lean in it a "Tactical Shooter" then.

People who think CoD is tactical or realistic need to play ARMA 2. Or they need a lobotomy. either or.

Danielsan

EmCeeGramr said:
the game is just not balanced for lean

a thousand leaners, an army of tilting warriors, rushing the stronghold. what force can repel their off-balance fury? bullets cannot stop them, for they are leaning out of the way; where a juicy brain should be, only air, for the head has relocated several degrees laterally. the tower of pisa looms in the distance, an apocryphal galileo dropping weights from its height.

but in the end gravity wins the day. they have all fallen over, for in leaning there is no balance.
Tears are literally streaming down my cheeks. I'm laughing so hard. :lol

Enosh said:

It's translation time. :D

November 5, 2009 - The outcry over the missing features for the PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 hasn't had much of an effect.

....on activisons stance. it should read but we like sucking big company cock. The effect has yet to be descerned.

The game has been consistantly outsold by games like "The Witcher" despite being billed as "The biggest shooter of all time". We just like all that goodness Activision throws out way and any negative comments would leave us out in the cold.

Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith commented in today's 3rd quarter financial call about the company's outlook for the PC version given the title's recent negative feedback. Griffith says the lack of dedicated servers will provide a much friendlier user experience.

Activision Publishing CEO, head of kitten euthenising division, Schafer suing division and guitar hero corpse-beating division Mike Griffith basically tried to give the pimp hand to those who have genuine complaints about functionallity being guttet to sell $10 map packs on an open platform. We at IGN are not going to give any credence to this and just report the quotes verbatem.

We're of course watching this very carefully and paying attention to it. But we're not overly concerned about it," said Griffith. "We think one of the problems with our PC SKUs on this title in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be."

"We really don't give a flying fuck about end user rights or experience, people need to stop whining and take it" said Griffith after finishing his kitten pie. "We think one of the problems with our PC SKUs is we can pick the consumer up by the ankles and shake hiom for lose change due to him having choice, in terms of matchmaking yes we know it's a shitty system but it gives us full control of all content and thus makes us able to treat you like console bitches. now where is my $10 for 3 maps?"

"Our solution here improves that consumer experience overall by a significant margin. So we think the benefits that we'll see are going to far outweigh any negatives that seem to be surfacing,"

I can basically wrap it up as a want, there is nothing you can do about it.Our solution here improves our profit margin overall by a significant margin. Our solution here degrades costomer experience overall by a fuck load. You got any more kitten?" he added.

Back when it was revealed Modern Warfare 2 won't have dedicated server functionality, an online petition was started, which currently has 180,000 digital signatures. Infinity Ward would later explain the sequel would be using the developer's new multiplayer service called IWNET. The service is said to streamline matchmaking and private matches, among other features.

We here at IGN don't really care. Activision keeps out journalistic balls in a jar under the sink and i think it's going to stay that way. We don't even bother to mention the negatives of this move ior it's possible implications, we just recycle PR.

CTLance

By the way, Krautgaf, just a heads up in case you hadn't noticed it already: The german version of the game is censored. This was mentioned in the official thread, but I figure some of us won't notice it there.

Admittedly, it's something minor (you can't join
the terrorists by shooting the civilians
). However, the official stance had always been that there would be no difference between international and german versions.

Oh well.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why the fuck are none of these so called reporters saying anything about all this shit? It's fucking ridiculous!

Gaming "journalism" at it's finest.

Enosh

MMaRsu said:
Why the fuck are none of these so called reporters saying anything about all this shit? It's fucking ridiculous!

I always tough journalism is about reporting news and then making up your own mind about it, not doing what fox is doing and telling you what to think...

Danielsan

MMaRsu said:

It's basically all gaming publications shrugging and saying "Hey what do I care, I'm playing the 360 version anyway".

SmokyDave

Danielsan said:
It's basically all gaming publications shrugging and saying "Hey what do I care, I'm playing the 360 version anyway".

I think this is very true for the mainstream sites. They don't really grasp the issue because it simply doesn't affect them. When it boils down to it, the fact that the issue is PC gamers have to put up with the same online system that these journalists already happily use just helps breed apathy.

Danielsan said:

Pretty much what ive noticed over the past couple of years. Same shit happens when PS3 games have something negative around them. At least with the American press anyway.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Enosh said:
I always tough journalism is about reporting news and then making up your own mind about it, not doing what fox is doing and telling you what to think...
So what did you think of Game Informer's stance on the DS issue? Top notch reporting, right?

To be fair, on a recent episode of the IGN Command Prompt PC podcast, they did discuss the issue pretty thoroughly, and all of participants seemed to express the sentiment that it's a big loss to PC gamers.

Ogs said:
Pretty much what ive noticed over the past couple of years. Same shit happens when PS3 games have something negative around them. At least with the American press anyway.

The big problem is the whole perception of the industy is very america centric when really development is moving more and more into places like europe. Sure the blockbusters get made there BUT we have seen a slew of actual good old fashioned GAMES, not wanabe movies or DLC platfroms, from eastern europe. I've finally got to Pripyat on "Call of pripyat" and let me tell you I've never felt less like playing CoD.

PC gaming a big deal outside of the US market (they can't seem to grasp that in their little bubble) and seeing as how the US seems to be a market still in decline the press there really need to look at europe and the UK (the UK alone is the 2nd largest games market) to see what people there think.

epmode

BoloTheGreat said:
The big problem is the whole perception of the industy is very america centric when really development is moving more and more into places like europe. Sure the blockbusters get made there BUT we have seen a slew of actual good old fashioned GAMES, not wanabe movies or DLC platfroms, from eastern europe.
I've noticed the same thing. There have been a ton of excellent PC exclusives from eastern Europe. In typically ignored genres, even!

Course, they don't have much of a marketing budget so they're mostly off the radar in America.

BoloTheGreat said:
The big problem is the whole perception of the industy is very america centric when really development is moving more and more into places like europe. Sure the blockbusters get made there BUT we have seen a slew of actual good old fashioned GAMES, not wanabe movies or DLC platfroms, from eastern europe. I've finally got to Pripyat on "Call of pripyat" and let me tell you I've never felt less like playing CoD.

PC gaming a big deal outside of the US market (they can't seem to grasp that in their little bubble) and seeing as how the US seems to be a market still in decline the press there really need to look at europe and the UK (the UK alone is the 2nd largest games market) to see what people there think.

Yeah its quite sad. Can be seen everywhere. You see something like STALKER, great reviews, 2 million sold, huge community, yet i wonder how many journo's played for more than 5 minutes or slated it right away as "silly inferior russian game". Hell even Crysis doesnt get much praise, its like they think "its that game no-one can play".

Seems you can only trust the old-reviewers or PC only ones, the new ones dont even recognise the PC.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Think about Shattered Horizon. A $20 game with near Crysis quality graphics and an interesting twist on first person shooters. The only place I have even heard of this game was a thread at this board that barely reached 2 pages.

faceless007 said:

No, it isn't possible to play with mismatched patches. I think it means that you and a segment of the community can decide to stick with patch (1.6), even if they keep putting out patches afterwards.

Under the new system you patch or you don't play, even if you think the new patch is BS.

adama-rama

Neo Member
One of my favourite PC purchases was Mount and Blade, back when it was still being developed and you could buy it cheaper and the money you paid went into developing the game. And when the game was completed it was just an update away from your existing version.

And what convinced me to buy it was playing the level capped 'demo'. Not just one hand picked level or the prettiest/most polished aspect of the game. There was the full game on my hard drive, and all I had to do was pay to unlock it all, or if I didn't want the game it was just a quick uninstall away with no cost to me at all.

And that game is made all the more awesome by the modding community that was embraced while the game was still being developed.

Now that's hardly the case for every game, and isn't feasible for something like MW2, but it represents what is best about PC gaming. An open and inviting community in every aspect, where even a game started by 2 people can become something.

And with all the crap going on over MW2, the PC still has thousands, tens of thousands of great games available in every genre you can imagine. So that's why ultimately Infinity Ward's decision works against them, because it goes against the very nature of PC gaming.

It's still a shitty decision to get rid of dedicated servers and and even worse decision to treat their fan base like crap. But if Infinity Ward wants to focus on consoles then the PC gaming community will simply move on.

And judging by the success of MW on the consoles, we can't really blame them for wanting to branch out into/focus on new areas. Just a shame they did it while giving the middle finger to a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It just doesn't make sense. Is there really a large market of people who want to play games on their PC and have hardware that can run MW2 well but also want a watered down "more accessible" experience? I find this extremely hard to believe. I'm pretty sure those type of people all own consoles.

Zefah said:
It just doesn't make sense. Is there really a large market of people who want to play games on their PC and have hardware that can run MW2 well but also want a watered down "more accessible" experience? I find this extremely hard to believe. I'm pretty sure those type of people all own consoles.

I guess people in countries where consoles aren't available or simply receive piss poor support (Xbox Live doesnt work in Poland for example i think). They may not want it to be watered down, but they have no choice.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Zefah said:
We all know that IW.net is nothing but a ploy to sell map packs, but the whole "more accessible" mantra is bullshit. Your casual FPS gamer is going to buy it for the 360 anyway, why make the enthusiast market suffer? PC gaming and console gaming are two different beasts. PCs sacrifice accessibility for customization, and vice versa. Neither is inherently better than the other, but trying to shoehorn console gameplay into a platform that has historically rejected it is a recipe for disaster.

"We think one of the problems with our PC SKUs on this title in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be."

Yeah, clicking on "Join Server" was way too unfriendly for consumers. Now, as for why they couldn't have had a quick match/matchmaking option like tons of current PC games that use dedicated servers, well you see- (runs away)

butts

Zefah said:

I agree. Who are these people?

An old friend of mine I used to play vCoD with religiously every night who was going to build a new PC JUST for this game is now delaying putting together a PC until next year, because like he said - no reason to anymore. I keep telling him there are a ton of other games very much worth it and he agrees, but his motivation to build one right now is pretty much gone.

Fuck IW.

J-Rod

The game journalists and even devs are making me feel like an old granpa. It's like online gaming didn't exist before Live and DS's are just the senile ramblings of 'the good 'ole days'.

Top Bottom