• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Enosh

you know, I am amazed at the similarities beten hardcore republican conservatives and the pc gamers on the official IW forum

republican style bumper stickers, sometimes a parody of the ones obama used - check
rob in joker make up - check
rob in a hitler outfit - check
"you lie!" - check

Mrbob

Dice! :bow

I just noticed from my steam blotter someone bought Modern Warfare 2. GAF do I remove him from my friends list now? :lol

Mrbob

Haha don't worry it was just a rhetorical joke question. I wouldn't remove anyone for buying MW2....I actually want the game but refuse to buy it in its current state.

I think this is the stance a lot of us have.

Enosh said:
you know, I am amazed at the similarities beten hardcore republican conservatives and the pc gamers on the official IW forum

republican style bumper stickers, sometimes a parody of the ones obama used - check
rob in joker make up - check
rob in a hitler outfit - check
"you lie!" - check

Resistance to change (aka conservatism) - check
Preference of smaller government (fuck yo IW net) - check

The similarities are there, even without getting into gun control and jingoism. :lol

I should note here that I'm totally on the side of Fuck Activison/IW here, but not necessarily a conservative as defined in the American political sense...

sk3tch

Mrbob said:
Haha don't worry it was just a rhetorical joke question. I wouldn't remove anyone for buying MW2....I actually want the game but refuse to buy it in its current state.

I think this is the stance a lot of us have.

I'm having a hard time resisting, actually. I canceled because I decided to get it on Amazon as I heard with Steamworks I will be able to keep it in my Steam account even if I have the physical disc. $20 GC makes it tough to resist...but man they gimped this thing...argh...

Enosh said:

if anything pc gamers are like the dirty fucking hippies conservatives hate so much. They want diverse, "organically grown" communities (dedicated servers) instead of corporate formatted ones (xbox live, IWNET). They want an agreed standard of fair and acceptable behavior instead of whatever the company wants to do to maximize control and profit at the (in this case, dire) penalty of the consumer experience.

This entire argument is corporatist vs. a set of informal standards that were created over a decade ago and have served the PC FPS community well.

Also, by your logic , teabaggers=IW defenders, since judging from this thread they uniquely share in common the trait of being misinformed idiots.

butts

you know, I am amazed at the similarities between hardcore republican conservatives and IW

what with all the gay-bashing and the hoo-rah

Omikron

Not sure if this has been reported...

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Modern-Warfare-2-PC-release-start-errors

For those of you who are PC gamers, you should wait on buying Modern Warfare 2 from the retailers. The PC version comes with 2 discs but it seems that only the actually game is working and not the extra content.

The first DVD/Disc is about 6.9 GB which seems to be the standard size for games that are coming out now. Unfortunately, each drive refuses to recognize the DVD. The DVD drives rattle around and you can hear the disc just clattering in the DVD Drive. Now when something like this happens, questions comes to mind and that is if this is a manufacturing defect and if there are other discs out there that have this problem.

A German game magazine reports the same problem. Every drive in their editorial office refuses the second DVD (they have seven PC's and four copies Modern Warfare 2 for PC). They say it’s definitly a production error.

Omikron

EmCeeGramr said:
Well the first disc works. What's up with this sense of entitlement where people want both discs?

:lol :lol

Damn these people who expect to get things that they pay for, damn them to hell!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Maybe IW accidentally printed the 360 version onto the disc? With the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me.

Just put my disc 2 in, span up fine, could browse the disc contents, didnt appear to be a problem. Even if disc 2 was borked, we can still at least download it via Steam (although it would be major fucking suck if your on basic internet or download limits :( ).

tirminyl

Leckan said:
I still can't believe this close to release we still haven't seen anything concrete from IWNET.

A bit fishy no?

Still this close to release and I haven't even seen reviews. Normally this stance is taken for games publishers aren't so sure about.

I can't believe it, I mostly ignore reviews but I am wanting them for this game :lol

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=111

As you may be aware, our very own PST*Joker has made assertions on BASH that the MP AC130 and several other MW2 features were influenced (without any recognition) by him and other PC modders.

A few hours ago, I saw a Tweet go out from a community member suggesting that Joker issue a takedown notice of Infinity Ward's AC130 vid on Youtube.

"@pstjoker I just thought you should send youtube a DMCA take down notice regarding the #MW2 AC130 video. See how youtube responds." (@therealrudedog)

I think Joker took up the idea and I can only assume he's more surprised than anyone that a few minutes ago YouTube yanked IW's AC130 video right off their official channel.

tirminyl said:
Still this close to release and I haven't even seen reviews. Normally this stance is taken for games publishers aren't so sure about.

I can't believe it, I mostly ignore reviews but I am wanting them for this game :lol
Activision has done this with Prototype I'm not surprised. I guess they want people to blindly walk in, maybe that's why there is no demo or beta either.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Pardon me for sounding ignorant (just woke up) but IW basically stole some modder ideas for the AC130 killstreak and the modders got the video taken down from IW's channel? lulz

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The DVD-thing sounds like a classic misprint. Weird that it slipped through control sample tests though.

Smash88

Banned
Ogs said:
Just put my disc 2 in, span up fine, could browse the disc contents, didnt appear to be a problem. Even if disc 2 was borked, we can still at least download it via Steam (although it would be major fucking suck if your on basic internet or download limits :( ).

Wait wait wait wait....you bought the game?

I think all of PC GAF need to have a word with you.

Archie said:
Pardon me for sounding ignorant (just woke up) but IW basically stole some modder ideas for the AC130 killstreak and the modders got the video taken down from IW's channel? lulz
Can anything actually be proven in this matter though? It's not particularly impossible to imagine Infinity Ward actually thinking the AC130 streak up themselves. Seems like a logical step after so many liked it in singleplayer.

And even if they did steal the idea, is that necessarily such a bad thing? Games steal other games' features all the time. Makes games better. If this dedicated server mess hadn't happened I bet the guy would feel flattered rather than offended. Basically this issue doesn't really seem like an issue to me. It's a reaction sparked by the actual issue.

So good on him for managing to annoy them back and get their attention.

Bet they'll sue him or something. Wouldn't surprise me.

Smash88 said:
Wait wait wait wait....you bought the game?

I think all of PC GAF need to have a word with you.

1408075081_5607ee607d.jpg

Seriously though, im more of a single player guy when it comes to CoD anyway, and the new system doesnt bother me too much as it worked well when i played MW1 on 360. That said, yes it does suck giant balls theres no dedicated servers support (they should have done both), but for me personally its not a big deal.

freitax

VibratingDonkey said:
Can anything actually be proven in this matter though? It's not particularly impossible to imagine Infinity Ward actually thinking the AC130 streak up themselves. Seems like a logical step after so many liked it in singleplayer.

And even if they did steal the idea, is that necessarily such a bad thing? Games steal other games' features all the time. Makes games better. If this dedicated server mess hadn't happened I bet the guy would feel flattered rather than offended. Basically this issue doesn't really seem like an issue to me. It's a reaction sparked by the actual issue.

So good on him for managing to annoy them back and get their attention.

Bet they'll sue him or something. Wouldn't surprise me.

It's not a separate issue thou, basically what allowed him to make the mod in the first place was a feature that IW ending up removing from MW2, I guess that's their way of saying thanks.

LovingSteam said:
So in response to the youtube video being taken down, this was made

"Really? Copyright infringment claim? :sigh:" - Fourzerotwo DM on Twitter

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=111

:lol :lol :lol

Mmm, the bitter tears taste delicious. :lol

Edit: I see one of the main guys at DICE has just done a big interview with guys at Bash and Slash, that's some damn fine marketing right there, these guys really get it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The amount of weirdness with the IW/MW2 stuff is crazy. A MW1 modder gets a video of MW2 pulled off of the official IW channel because it shows the same kind of thing that the mod does. :lol :lol

Top Bottom