• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Number 2 said:
The amount of weirdness with the IW/MW2 stuff is crazy. A MW1 modder gets a video of MW2 pulled off of the official IW channel because it shows the same kind of thing that the mod does. :lol :lol

It is glorious; absolutely glorious!

deleted

Was interested in playing the game, now I´m just waiting to see what happens next.
IW vs. DICE and PCGamer Community, see the whole fight at nine...

Seriously though, I was about to preorder this game, now I´m going with L4D2 first and wait what happens with the DS incident.

Enosh

LovingSteam said:
So in response to the youtube video being taken down, this was made

"Really? Copyright infringment claim? :sigh:" - Fourzerotwo DM on Twitter

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=111

:lol :lol :lol
:lol
that's awesome
the thing is I remember the EULA saying that all mods belong to IW anyway, so I hope for his sake that he contacted a lawyer before making the copyright claim or he might get fucked by the activision lawyers if AV feels like being extra evil

Archie said:
I am more interested in the whole "play via split screen" part

I've been out of the loop for awhile, it seems; I thought it was just a lack of dedicated servers.

Puck said:
2mgqzw3.png

Seriously. What the fuck. Going to the lengths of obstructing the mod community? Why are they doing this? Is the PC version a thinly-veiled console port or have IW simply tired of pleasing the PC gaming community - as part of an ill-considered adverse reaction against pirating?

I can't believe the CoD series is about to become dead to me.

Jackl

Tim the Wiz said:
I've been out of the loop for while, it seems; I thought it was just a lack of dedicated servers.

Seriously. What the fuck. Going to the lengths of obstructing the mod community? Why are they doing this? Is the PC version a thinly-veiled console port or have IW simply tired of pleasing the PC gaming community - as part of an ill-considered adverse reaction against pirating?

I only played it because 30+ player Search and Destroy matches were EPPPIIIICCCC as hell.

But yea, with this pretty much a straight up console port and the above no longer possible...I have no desire to buy this game. I'm much more itching to pick up Dragon Age.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://www.modernwarfail2.com/

lol

Enosh said:
:lol
that's awesome
the thing is I remember the EULA saying that all mods belong to IW anyway, so I hope for his sake that he contacted a lawyer before making the copyright claim or he might get fucked by the activision lawyers if AV feels like being extra evil
You really go out of your way to white knight IW and Activision, don't you?

Enosh

Archie said:
You really go out of your way to white knight IW and Activision, don't you?

What?
All I said is that he better should have taken procotions (spelling?) before doing something like that, in which way is that something unreasonable? If you do something like that to a multimillion company you better take care that your ass is saved in every way possible in case they want to make an example out of you
I just don't want him to get fucked over something like that beacose activision has the resources to screw with him if they want to

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that copyright thing is awesomely creative. credit where credit is due. :bow

Sectus

So if I understand this correctly, steam won't activate the game before the 12th. Even though its store release date is the 10th (in europe too). So tomorrow lots of people will be buying game which they can't even play before 2 days? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I'm truly amazed how much activision and IW has messed up the PC release of this game.

Tim the Wiz said:
I've been out of the loop for awhile, it seems; I thought it was just a lack of dedicated servers.

:lol :lol @ that list

What a joke.

Enosh

Linkzg said:
what does this even mean?

is it about the borked DVDs a page back or...?
buy the game from a store=play on 11.10. (edit: jesus christ talk about americanization, I have started to write dates in this format -.-)
buy the game from steam=play some 2 days latter

atleast acording to him (and steam), but he has been wrong before :D

kitch9

Banned
confused said:
In regards to DLC, wasn't MW1 DLC on PC paid for by Nvidia ? Meaning we don't know if it would have been free otherwise.

There's no feasible way you could get money for DLC on the PC as its too open platform and it would be hacked.

The only way you could do it would be to completey nerf your game and make it shit by closing it out to eveybody and having one server try to control all information in and out. Nobody would be stupid enough to do that though as it will make everybody just pirate it instead.........

Oh wait........

confused said:
In regards to DLC, wasn't MW1 DLC on PC paid for by Nvidia ? Meaning we don't know if it would have been free otherwise.

Treyarch released all 3 content packs for World at War for free and managed to find a sponsor for each one without any bother. Why would it be more difficult to find a sponsor for a more popular game?

confused

Banned
brain_stew said:
Treyarch released all 3 content packs for World at War for free and managed to find a sponsor for each one without any bother. Why would it be more difficult to find a sponsor for a more popular game?

kitch9 said:
There's no feasible way you could get money for DLC on the PC as its too open platform and it would be hacked.

The only way you could do it would be to completey nerf your game and make it shit by closing it out to eveybody and having one server try to control all information in and out. Nobody would be stupid enough to do that though as it will make everybody just pirate it instead.........

Oh wait........

Never heard of expansion / booster packs ?

Cheeto

kitch9 said:
There's no feasible way you could get money for DLC on the PC as its too open platform and no one is dumb enough to spend $10 on three maps when there are million free alternatives from modders and other games.
fixt

confused said:
Never heard of expansion / booster packs ?

Well, expansion packs, such as Opposing Forces, Opposing Fronts, etc, sell because they usually have a ton of content that makes buying them worthwhile. A lot more content than most of today's standard DLC.

I'm not quite sure how well booster packs sell though. I think the ones that were released by DICE for Battlefield 2 and 2142 (?) did not do so well. I don't know how well the booster packs for Everquest 2 sold though, but seeing how they are not relying on that business model anymore for their other MMOs, I doubt it did well.

freitax said:
It's not a separate issue thou, basically what allowed him to make the mod in the first place was a feature that IW ending up removing from MW2, I guess that's their way of saying thanks.
That's basically what I'm trying and failing to say.

causan

Was debating buying this or Dragon Age on steam. Then I notice the price and decided to get Torchlight + Dragon Age instead.

I think I made the right move.

Zeliard

Fragamemnon said:
if anything pc gamers are like the dirty fucking hippies conservatives hate so much. They want diverse, "organically grown" communities (dedicated servers) instead of corporate formatted ones (xbox live, IWNET). They want an agreed standard of fair and acceptable behavior instead of whatever the company wants to do to maximize control and profit at the (in this case, dire) penalty of the consumer experience.

This entire argument is corporatist vs. a set of informal standards that were created over a decade ago and have served the PC FPS community well.

Also, by your logic , teabaggers=IW defenders, since judging from this thread they uniquely share in common the trait of being misinformed idiots.

This post :lol

The game's out in both New Zealand and Australia. Currently 300 people are playing multiplayer and 300 single player, so we shall be hearing the first impressions of how good/awful the multiplayer is.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Fragamemnon said:
Also, by your logic , teabaggers=IW defenders, since judging from this thread they uniquely share in common the trait of being misinformed idiots.

This was the best line.

kitch9

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
The Advanced Graphics Menu for MW2:

2lkqhif.jpg

Infinity Ward are taking the fucking piss man. How can a company go from heroes to fucking arsehole twats with two fingers up at their paying customers in one game?

Its fucking astonishing to witness.

Top Bottom