• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
YuriLowell said:
I cant wait for the pc review of this game from IGN.

im calling it now 9.3
IGN will troll the internet and give the PC version a 9.9 because matchmaking takes the difficulty out of playing online on the PC.

Archie said:
IGN will troll the internet and give the PC version a 9.9 because matchmaking takes the difficulty out of playing online on the PC.

What about when there is no one to play with because this POS sells 12 copies on PC.

Good job IGN... Fine if you report the company line, but not if you report only the company line. There are two sides to this, but I guess that's not relevant.

MW2 is climbing up the Steam chart (UK region I think) btw. Has been #6 for a couple of days. Now above things like Torchlight and Football Manager. Killing Floor, The Witcher and Stalker have dropped off the chart. It is most definitely being consistently outsold by Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and Dragon Age though. But then the latter two just recently had their sales spike. MW2 will have its next week. Will likely continue to climb.

From the accounts of several users who got the PC version early on the Steam forums, MW2 won't be unlocked till the Nov 12/13 it seems. Very strange.

And some people on the Steam forums are saying that from the Best Buy chat thing a few nights ago that it sounded like the PC version was not yet complete.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
crimsonheadGCN said:
And some people on the Steam forums are saying that from the Best Buy chat thing a few nights ago that it sounded like the PC version was not yet complete.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming...are-2-Live-Chat-Session-Transcript/td-p/67692

Moriarte: Will there be a multiplayer PC demo shortly after release? The PC community is largely skeptical at best right now and with no ability to trade-in or rent, this is a real gamble for our wallets.

Vince-IW: No plans for a demo currently. We are still working on finishing the PC game right now (yes, I know... we need to get done!)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
YuriLowell said:
They are patching in dedicated servers, or are they removing more features?
Say goodbye to your in-game text chat and your exclusive MW2 desktop icon! First the Tzars, now the PC Master Race.

MedHead

YuriLowell said:
Implementing in-game text chat is hard! It's what makes the PC version so great, so they want to spend a lot of time on it.

Archie said:

Even if IWNet turns out to be alright, this will still be a mess. There's bound to be bugs that they won't catch, since they won't have time to test it unless they decide to pull all-nighters in order text it properly (which I seriously doubt they would do).

YuriLowell said:

Maybe they only started porting the game a few weeks ago ? lol

Has there been any screenshots or videos released of the PC version yet? Or has it been just the console versions?

Mrbob

The PC version is basically an afterthought. It started development much later than the 360 or PS3 version. I had heard this, and the above quote archie gave cements this.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
crimsonheadGCN said:
Maybe they only started porting the game a few weeks ago ? lol

Has there been any screenshots or videos released of the PC version yet? Or has it been just the console versions?

That cant be possible. i heard that the game had leaked early and piracy is only on the PC. How can it leak if they arent done porting it yet?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Mrbob said:
The PC version is basically an afterthought. It started development much later than the 360 or PS3 version. I had heard this, and the above quote archie gave cements this.
There are no afterthoughts in this franchise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VibratingDonkey said:
Good job IGN... Fine if you report the company line, but not if you report only the company line. There are two sides to this, but I guess that's not relevant.

MW2 is climbing up the Steam chart (UK region I think) btw. Has been #6 for a couple of days. Now above things like Torchlight and Football Manager. Killing Floor, The Witcher and Stalker have dropped off the chart. It is most definitely being consistently outsold by Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands and Dragon Age though. But then the latter two just recently had their sales spike. MW2 will have its next week. Will likely continue to climb.

Personally I am still very surprised and a bit proud of my PC gamer brethren that MW2 still has not reached the #1 slot in sales especially considering that Steam is the only digital download service selling the game right now. It is likely inevitable that it will hit #1 immediately before or after its launch, but I have a good feeling that it won't stay there for long.

Lothars

Zefah said:
Personally I am still very surprised and a bit proud of my PC gamer brethren that MW2 still has not reached the #1 slot in sales especially considering that Steam is the only digital download service selling the game right now. It is likely inevitable that it will hit #1 immediately before or after its launch, but I have a good feeling that it won't stay there for long.

Agreed but I wish that it would fall off the charts on Steam and stay off, it won't and will stay off the chart for a while.

Safe Bet

Banned
dark10x said:
Exactly. They want to have Halo 3 levels of management over the game. That's all it comes down to.
Fixed

;)

Seriously though, it's sad to see Bungie's multiplayer design philosophy becoming the standard.

:(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sk3tch said:
So wait...the PC version is a port of the console version now??? What???
Not at all. Does the 360 version come with text chat and graphics settings? Didn't think so.
vg4odd.gif

MoFuzz

Don't see this posted yet:

http://tinyurl.com/yd6l6en

The guy really lays the smack down on IW. Worth a read, as he offers legitmate counter arguments to the PR spin being thrown around.

EDIT: just noticed the second half of it is same as the bash and slash article. First half's still good tho.

Vinci

Danish
MoFuzz said:

The guy really lays the smack down on IW. Worth a read, as he offers legitmate counter arguments to the PR spin being thrown around.

EDIT: just noticed the second half of it is same as the bash and slash article. First half's still good tho.

Good article. Thanks for the link.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
MoFuzz said:

The first paragraph already makes me not read it. What fucking fight? We're basically talking about something that's on the level of the decision whether or not to go to a movie.

I mean, okay, you get passionate about it, you get vocal about it, I get it. But there's no actual fight to be had.

I mean, I'd love it if there WAS a fight, actually. But internet nerds wouldn't really take part in that fight. It would be a company-internal struggle for integrity. Won't happen, I guess. Has happened before though, so you never really know.

Cheeto

Id like to step back and close out by saying that PC and console gamers are ultimately part of the same family and the more we let our characteristic differences divide us we only weaken our ability to effectively call foul when the industry begins to block our voice with dollar signs. We all play for the love of the game and its ultimately our responsibility to make sure that they are made that way.
Best part

sk3tch

I really want to buy this game (on PC) but now I am so conflicted. It seems like it is too restricted and that even buying it supports "dumbing down" of the PC environment for profits.

I have a PS3 and 360 but I guess I'll just wait for a $49.99 or less sale on PC...

Ogs said:
Yeah its quite sad. Can be seen everywhere. You see something like STALKER, great reviews, 2 million sold, huge community, yet i wonder how many journo's played for more than 5 minutes or slated it right away as "silly inferior russian game". Hell even Crysis doesnt get much praise, its like they think "its that game no-one can play".

Seems you can only trust the old-reviewers or PC only ones, the new ones dont even recognise the PC.

Im currently playing through Call of pripyat with an almost flawless text translation and a BETA version of a closed caption system. It's one of the best games i've played in years. It's 1000x more stable than Clear Sky and the actual gameplay is much more balanced and generally sleaker.

Sites like IGN and Gamespot need to stop hyping jokes of games like "The Conduit" just becuase it's a console FPS and actually take a glance at the PC from time to time.

MDSLKTR

BoloTheGreat said:
Sites like IGN and Gamespot need to stop hyping jokes of games like "The Conduit" just becuase it's a console FPS and actually take a glance at the PC from time to time.

this.

MoFuzz

wmat said:
The first paragraph already makes me not read it. What fucking fight? We're basically talking about something that's on the level of the decision whether or not to go to a movie.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on that one word. I don't feel that it's worth condemning the whole post because of it. He still brings up some other good points along with some insight from a former dev in the industry.

Different strokes I guess.

Another EA/Dice bash against IW

‘An officer is used to certain things’ thought Captain Rupert Horsechesterton as he sat in the mess tent, toying with the unappetizing grey sludge on his plate – ‘we have certain expectations connected to our rank, and these are things we’ve earned with hard work and loyalty to our cause’

‘We like to have a dedicated server – a man who brings us what we want in the mess hall. We like to be able to choose what we eat, and the order in which we eat it. We like to be able to choose a favorite table, sit at it when we want and get rid of any riff-raff if they sit next to us. All of this is only available when a man has a dedicated server working for him in the mess tent. A dedicated server is a great thing – he turns an ordinary meal time into a pleasurable, unique and privileged experience. A man is willing to pay a little for that privilege’.

The captain stared out of the window of the tent onto the pock-marked battlefield and continued his melancholy soliloquy ‘Things have changed recently. Meal times have lost their special appeal. New mess tents spring up on the battlefield that only have a buffet. We can’t even choose which dishes we eat. The officer’s table has been replaced by lines and lines of benches. A man doesn’t know who he’s going to be sitting next to, and we can't get rid of riff raff if they sit next to us. More and more of these tents are phasing out dedicated servers. Is this the modern way of making warfare?’

Suddenly angered and inspired by his internal monologue, the Captain got up from his bench, tossed his plate of grey buffet food aside and thrust his fist in the air in a mark of steely defiance.

"I will not take this anymore. I don’t need to eat here! I will take my meals the old-fashioned way! I will choose a mess tent with dedicated servers!"

With that he took his sword, put Monty on his shoulder, and strode out of the tent into the fresh morning air.

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=82163

Top Bottom