• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUDs: the good... and the not so good

Syril

I like the HUDs on the 3DS Monster Hunter games where you can move the map to the bottom screen.
01.jpg
It does a good job giving necessary information without overloading the screen. You could say that the floating labels above other players aren't strictly necessary, but it's important to be able to know the positions of allies as quickly as possible, especially if they're wearing outfits that blend in or if the view is obstructed.

nOoblet16

i wonder if this helps with performance. It's not much space taken up, does the game have to render anything blocked by the helmet?

guess you could ask the same question about The Order and Evil Within. do those games also benefit from obstructed views imposed by the letterboxing?

No it's not for performance (it's not blocking much pixels anyway to cause any performance gain), all characters have different HUD.
Master Chief has a translucent one, so does Buck...Locke has an opaque one.

Also there is no helmet stuff in MP, and neither is there one when using vehicles.

Denton

Witcher 3's HUD is killing me.
Looks like something out of an MMO, with a 1000 different icons on screen.
Yes you can disable parts of it which is good, but it's still not ideal, as they'd be better way to still display that info without cluttering the screen so much.
As of right now i can't even choose between potions and food (to regain health) without having them constantly on screen.

There is a fantastic mod I used that hides minimap and quest info, and shows them when I press witcher sense button, and if I let go they disappear again after few seconds. Rest of GUI was disabled, only potions and health enabled, but it disappears by itself when at full health so it was ok. Love it, screen hudless.

Top Bottom