• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge (good?) games come out of nowhere

Kikorin

I was watching this trailer of Atomic Heart and for sure looks impressive. But is even more impressive if you think is coming out by a studio (Mundfish) that has never developed a game before. Maybe it'll turn out bad or average, but release is close and seems really good.

In some days we are going to have also Hogwarts Legacy, that from preview doesn't looks a masterpiece, but still pretty impressive for a studio that developed basically just cheap tie-in and small games before.

Some other games that if will release for real and don't turn out to be vaporware could be in this category are these Chinese/Korean games that sometimes appears on YouTube.

So I want to ask, which games from the past you remember come out from random or new studios and proved to be with a developing value comparable to an AAA game (even if they reviewed bad)?

John Bilbo

So I want to ask, which games from the past you remember come out from random or new studios and proved to be with a developing value comparable to an AAA game (even if they reviewed bad)?
What does developing value mean? Spent resources developing the game? Or polished full priced game?

Gamerguy84

Lots of them tbh. When I used to not visit internet gaming sites I would google games release dates and start looking them up.

I found Infamous that way.

Kikorin

Far Cry (2004)
Yes, Crytek starting with this was insane, I remember the first time I tried the demo and was mindblowing, even if my pc could barely make it works at minimum.

What does developing value mean? Spent resources developing the game? Or polished full priced game?
I mean a game that you could compare with an AAA release just looking at it and know nothing about who developed it or the budget/development time.

This is another one that surprised me a lot back in the days.

Beechos

Video Games GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Plagues tale is prob another one from recent memory.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Hifi RUSH gave me similar feelings recently. Just dropped out of nowhere, is completely random and the fact it's developed by Tango Gameworks just had me even more surprised. Don't get me wrong they're a talented bunch, it's just I never would have guessed the studio would make a game like this when compared to their more recent ones.

Kupfer

That was pretty hyped from memory. It was part of the big tech showcases for the time along with Doom 3 and Half Life 2

Of course, it was hyped just before release because it looked groundbreaking at the time. Before that I only knew the video of x-isle, the techdemo from Crytek and Far Cry looked even better at release.

In the early 2000s I didn't have the internet and had to rely on the monthly PC magazines and the enclosed CD roms with demos and video previews. Maybe that's why my perception doesn't match the general one, but for me Far Cry came almost out of nowhere back then, for me there was no announcement trailer and then 1-year long hyped waiting. It was suddenly there at some point with a bang and praise songs and blew me away.

For Doom 3 and HL2 I have been aware years before release and knew that these will be THE big players at their time, besides, these were not studios firsts and you had a corresponding expectation attitude.

John Bilbo

I mean a game that you could compare with an AAA release just looking at it and know nothing about who developed it or the budget/development time.
That is a very difficult question. I thought about it for a while and I have to say no one game comes to mind.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Out of nowhere + free with PS+ on release + one of the best OSTs of that gen:

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Furi_image1600w.jpg

Half-life (everyone thougth SiN was going to be the next big thing instead)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (nobody was really covering it until it made a huge splash on that Pizaa Hut demo disc, lol)
Spiderman 2 (moderate interest, but low expectations)
Guitar Hero (news of how good this one was spread virally on the internet AFTER release; nobody cared beforehand)
Skylanders (very little press at first, then the brick and mortar stores starting pushing it *hard* when kids started being interested in the displays)
Mortal Kombat 9 (franchise had declined significantly in the ps2 era, but this entry put in on its current trajectory of being one of the biggest franchises in the world)
Rocket League
PUBG
Baldur's Gate (quiet release from a publisher about to go under; ended up "creating" Bioware)

Dev1lXYZ

Goldeneye on N64. The game was a slow burn at first. Gamer expectations were high from all the magazine hype, but copies were readily available for quite a number of weeks post launch. Then it took off with the general public and we couldn’t keep it in stock for months.

Fatmanp

I had no idea Red Dead Redemption was being made. Y Rockstar as a Wild West GTA until reviews dropped. Still a top 10 game for me.

Dead Island. I was a big Borderlands fan back then but Dead Island was ten times better in coop, even though it never was on my radar.

Guilty_AI

RDR1

Literally dropped into the face of the earth out of nowhere one day, and people were like 'wtf is this wild west gta, wait, this is actually awesome?'

Top Bottom