• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge grain of Salt:NextBox teaser appeared on twitter/supposedly linked to Xboxevent

The perspective is all fucked up...

yNfoBQY.jpg

My guess: "xbox" is pasted into the image by someone who can't adjust it according to the perspective.
It could be correct, depending on the focal length. Read about vanishing points.
150px-TwoPointPerspective.png

Of course that doesn't mean it's real.

Raven77

It could be correct, depending on the focal length. Read about vanishing points.

Assuming the X logo is a perfect circle, one could figure out the angle and perspective just using that.

I don't feel like doing it though, so...

Indeed:
(the above image is extremely large in length)

It was only done in Paint and isn't extremely accurate as a result and I used the pre-existing lines that had been added so there's probably some margin of error but I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a perspective. The Windows 8 logo uses a single point perspective too so it wouldn't be uncommon:

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't think that means it's legitimate at all (I'm still very skeptical of it and I'm inclined to not believe it) but just because the lines are inclined differently doesn't mean one should rule out the possibility of it being legitimate just yet. EDIT: The blue and purple lines were added using the vanishing point and were alligned with the top of the "X", "b" and "f" (blue) and the "r", "o", "m", "o" and "x" (purple). While, again, it is still not very accurate due to it being done on Paint, they allign fairly well.

EDIT: Also, I'm not a fan of the logo regardless of whether it's real or not. If real, I'm interested in how it relates to the console.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
According to its metadata, the image in the twitter feed / OP was exported from Adobe Photoshop CS 5.1 for Macintosh. This was done at 03:19AM on the 17th March - but strangely in the +11:00 time zone. Can't find any countries of note in that time zone except a few small islands. I think I should give up while I'm ahead :)
Yeah, I noticed the metadata too. I got this string:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/" xmlns:xmpMM="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/" xmlns:stEvt="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/ResourceEvent#" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/" xmp:CreatorTool="Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh" xmp:CreateDate="2013-03-17T03:19:43+11:00" xmp:MetadataDate="2013-03-17T03:19:43+11:00" xmp:ModifyDate="2013-03-17T03:19:43+11:00" xmpMM:InstanceID="xmp.iid:098011740720681192B0A8CB7408A974" xmpMM:DocumentID="xmp.did:088011740720681192B0A8CB7408A974" xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID="xmp.did:088011740720681192B0A8CB7408A974" dc:format="image/jpeg" photoshop:ColorMode="3" photoshop:ICCProfile="sRGB IEC61966-2.1"> <xmpMM:History> <rdf:Seq> <rdf:li stEvt:action="created" stEvt:instanceID="xmp.iid:088011740720681192B0A8CB7408A974" stEvt:when="2013-03-17T03:19:43+11:00" stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh"/> <rdf:li stEvt:action="saved" stEvt:instanceID="xmp.iid:098011740720681192B0A8CB7408A974" stEvt:when="2013-03-17T03:19:43+11:00" stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Macintosh" stEvt:changed="/"/> </rdf:Seq> </xmpMM:History> </rdf:Description> </rdf:RDF>
As for the timezone, American Samoa and the Midway Atoll are in UTC&#8722;11:00. I assume you can fake that somehow if you for some reason want to make it seem like you are somewhere else than at your current location.

The typeface in the logo I assume is Segoe (or some variation of it, like SegoeUI). The symbol I don't like. As been pointed out by others, it looks like "Y" with some dot connected. That could be very confusing for the average consumer, so I doubt it's anything concrete. At it's height it's a concept.

shandy706

I don't think it's real.

The perspective is fine though. LOL @ people that thought the perspective was why it would be wrong..wow.

The angle and the size of the lens cause that.

artist

Banned
Ugh, just what I was going to say.

Did VGleaks seriously make an article about this with absolutely zero proof beyond a fake Twitter account?
Holy shit, it must mean that the recent XDK screenshots they posted must also be fake!

Takuya

Banned
Ugh, just what I was going to say.

Did VGleaks seriously make an article about this with absolutely zero proof beyond a fake Twitter account?

They've been posting rumors from around the web, on top of their own "insider/exclusive source provided" rumors.

BigMack

That logo is blegh!! Looks like 2 pill capsules, one of them broken open, laying in a pile of white powder. Haha, I sure hope this is fake....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks kinda meh because it looks like a plush toy. I like the other recent MS logo redesigns though, except for the actual Windows one, but it looks good on the Windows Store.

Guevara

It's weird, MS has some logos straight on:

logo-lg-1x.png

And some at angles:

250px-Windows_8_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png

ZA103978419.png

ZA103362953.png
Store logo

And then what they have on the MS primary site for the Xbox:

c641cc8d-f054-4fdf-9456-ee8259186e1b_5.png
Xbox

shandy706

LOL

I've been searching everything I can think of on twitter to see if I can find anything. I actually found something...that looks like a copy-cat or absolutely ridiculous (maybe).

I was typing things like xbox2013, nextboxevent (stupid I know), durango2013, xbox event, xboxlive2013, etc. After many a silly searches. I got a hit on liveevent2013...and lol'ed.

I sent it to VGleaks a little bit ago and they said they think it's fake, due mostly to cost (not due to it being new or off the wall...which makes me think 100% fake).

I hesitate to post it...because I have no clue if it's a copy-cat. Last time I posted some random thing that I wasn't sure about the source or its value, a lot of people here got pissed. I'll never understand why people take the internet so seriously, :p. I think I'll just ignore it and wait to see if it comes up elsewhere.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That font is never going to fly in any well-designed logo. I think the iconography is pretty snazzy though, even though it symbolizes absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom