• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugely Successful Serieses that Died a Magnanimous Death (EA IP Vault Edition)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kai3345 said:
NBA Street series
Just really almost anything EA Big put out in their first 2-3 years. Was such an amazing label at the time, a real continuation of the groundbreaking quality EA brought to sports games in the 16-bit days.

And then *poof*

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Stumpokapow said:
NPD LTDs as of February 2007, source is leaks on public forums. I realize that these are post-NPD ban numbers, but they've been out there for some time, and as I am not an NPD subscriber and have no private sources, I don't think there's any issue sharing them:

PS2 SSX 3 ~750,000
PS2 SSX TRICKY ~700,000
PS2 SSX ~625,000
GCN SSX TRICKY ~325,000

I don't know if we ever got leaked numbers for Blur or not.

Any particular reason everyone in his thread has totally seemed to excise On Tour from existence in their discussion of franchise trends?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shig said:
Any particular reason everyone in his thread has totally seemed to excise On Tour from existence in their discussion of franchise trends?
On Tour? I'm pretty sure that's an Amped game? Or was that the Shaun White one?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AstroLad said:
On Tour? I'm pretty sure that's an Amped game? Or was that the Shaun White one?
I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but

61S9D9FTABL._AA300_.jpg

It was basically SSX4. I vividly recall stacks of it just hanging out on retailers shelves forever. That could be, y'know, kind of a thing for EA's confidence in the series.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hm. Weird. I dunno. Most of the Serieses in the OP had a sales disappointment or two in along the line though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
AstroLad said:
Just really almost anything EA Big put out in their first 2-3 years. Was such an amazing label at the time, a real continuation of the groundbreaking quality EA brought to sports games in the 16-bit days.

And then *poof*
This is so dang true. EA Big was awesome. Well, except for Sled Storm. Could have done without that one

Freekstyle, though. What an awesome and underrated game

Nyx

From the franchises mentioned in the OP, I'd like a new SSX the most.

Just hope they won't go for Burnout Paradise's style though, I want set courses and splitscreen MP, not a big ''open-world'' mountain which is a MP hub at the same time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kenta said:
This is so dang true. EA Big was awesome. Well, except for Sled Storm. Could have done without that one

Freekstyle, though. What an awesome and underrated game
I actually never played Freekstyle even though I heard lots of good things. I think that was during the period when a ton of Big games (and clones, some more competent than others) seemed to be coming out at once -- so perhaps they saturated the market a bit not in terms of a single franchise but just the subgenre. Would definitely try it now though based on what I've heard.

Just hope they won't go for Burnout Paradise's style though, I want set courses and splitscreen MP, not a big ''open-world'' mountain which is a MP hub at the same time.
Yes, this is the classic Tricky vs. 3 argument, which I guess we did see a new version of with Burnout. Tricky man myself, but I'm not a hater!

Clydefrog

:( :( :(

I miss Road Rash, Dungeon Keeper, and Ultima series the most. At least the community has been involved making remakes/mods/etc of Ultima games. The U6 remake recently came out (a mod for Dungeon Siege.) Is there a GAF thread on Ultima fan remakes/mods?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Probably not a huge success, but I loved Rumble Racing (one of my first racing games on the PS2), and I think it deserves a sequel. Perhaps one on PSN/XBLA scale.

I still cry a bit inside when I think about what happened to Ultima.

During my childhood Ultima III made me realize how great RPG's could be and when IV came out it changed my life.

Need more full color cloth maps in gaming!

Also, Strike series. Strike series is fucking awesome. Except for Urban Strike, that was shit.

I have this idea for a game which is a sandbox version of Strike, but with elements of Choplifter and Dead Rising. Basically, it'd be set in a cyberpunk future Japan, where there'd be lots of these man-made islands off the western coast in the Sea of Japan, and they would be under threat from some super-typhoon, because global warming. Anyway, Best Korean black ops (because there will always be a Best Korea) use it to steal Japanese technology of some kind - probably a fusion reactor, particle beam weapon or cat food. So you'd have have a time limit to stop Best Korea, but also save people and do other things before Super-Typhoon Kira Yamato pretty much destroys everything.

And you'd have a bunch of different vehicles at your disposal.

egocrata

Banned
I can´t believe no one is screaming for a new Privateer game.

So I will have to do it.

WE WANT A NEW PRIVATEER GAME, EA

Gattsu25

Banned
Gameboy415 said:
A lot of the EA games in the OP were actually re-released on PSP:

ea-replay.jpg

I'd love a new Mutant League game though!
WOT?

I've never heard of this before. How is Syndicate on the PSP?

I think most of these have passed their days of prime and live on in different franchises.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dead Space was orginally the rumored System Shock 3, but was changed to avoid fan backlash and competition with Bioshock.

Maybe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
egocrata said:
I can´t believe no one is screaming for a new Privateer game.

So I will have to do it.

WE WANT A NEW PRIVATEER GAME, EA
Yeah that's the only WC game I have substantial experience with. Amazing game.

kinn

cuyahoga said:
196751_41783_front.jpg

IMO most important game the company has ever published. It was successful enough to justify a sequel…that was canned when Atari acquired Paradigm.

I loved this game.

Top Bottom