• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman: LOGAN not set in the main X-Men Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
UPDATE:

James Mangold Clarifies Hugh Jackman's Confusing Continuity Statements Regarding LOGAN

Logan star Hugh Jackman made some confusing statements this weekend when he gave an interview implying that his final film as Wolverine would be set in a different universe than prior films in the X-Men franchise. "When you see the full movie you'll understand," he told Digital Spy. "Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it's a slightly different universe. It's actually a different paradigm and that will become clear."

Of course, this was surprising to many, especially considering the involvement of Patrick Stewart's Professor Xavier, who has had an extensive role in the overall story of the franchise. Now, due to some fans being vocal about their confusion, Logan director James Mangold (who has known to be quite vigilant in debunking rumours and speculation about the film) took to Twitter to respond. " Don't think @RealHughJackman said that exactly. Simple fact. We take place in 2029, 5 yrs past anything depicted in XMEN [films]."

That's pretty definitive, but the director also followed up and clarified that Jackman's statement just meant that the team had freedom to do what they wished by setting the film after the events of Days of Future Past. "Because we take place after all the other movies, we have freedom. That's all he meant. Breathe."

Stand down soliders.

ORGINAL THREAD:

Thought people would find this interesting. From a recent interview Hugh Jackman did with Digital Spy:

From the trailers we could tell that Logan was going to be tonally different to the X-Men movies that have come before. In our exclusive trailer breakdown, director James Mangold alluded to the very different style of the movie.

But now it turns out it's not even set in the same universe as the other X-Men and Wolverine films.

Talking exclusively to Digital Spy Hugh Jackman revealed that he and director James Mangold had decided to ignore the various complicated X-Men timelines and that they don't even see the film existing in quite the same world.

"When you see the full movie you'll understand," he told us. "Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it's a slightly different universe. It's actually a different paradigm and that will become clear."

This is to be Jackman's last outing as Wolverine (unless the Fat Wolverine v Deadpool movie Jackman wants, comes off) and he says the studio gave them a blank canvas.

"I said this was my last one and they said make the movie you want to make," he explained.

"And so Jim [Mangold] and I had this blank canvas and we wanted to make something really different. Definitely tonally different, I kept thinking The Wrestler, Unforgiven.

"He was thinking Unforgiven as well and The Gauntlet and these other movies which just seemed to really match his character. Early on we had the idea for the title not having anything to do with Wolverine in it but just being about the man. And what the collateral damage of being Wolverine your entire life would be."

"It's a stand alone movie in many ways." He explained. "It's not really beholden to time lines and story lines in the other movies. Obviously Patrick Stewart was in there so we have some crossover but it feels very different and very fresh.

"[Following the timelines] becomes a chess game that you try to serve, which actually doesn't help to tell a story and it's sort of been a bit all over the place. I'm not critical of it – X-Men was the first movie really in comic book, no one thought there'd be another and there were different directors different off shoots."

logan-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqjLQjeRRRl5o9ukKrOSa9JO3HhdubnUa7crWAebq60zM.jpg

If true, I would actually be really happy about this. Being a big fan of X-Men: Days of Future Past...one of the things I liked most about the movie was that after all the shit that he'd been put through, Logan was finally allowed to get something of a happy ending after he gets the chance to reunite with Jean and the rest of the original X-Men. It seemed a shame for Logan to instantly undo all that...especially given that it wouldn't really much sense considering that it's only set a handful of years afterwards.

Seal my mouth shut and send me to an alternate timeline where Gambit is being played by Taylor Kitsch if old.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Is there much to be gained by setting it in the main universe, adhering to all the continuity? I don't really think so. We all know Wolverine's story by now.

Kinyou

Weird, the director explained it differently and made it sound like it takes very much place in the same timeline/universe. Just far away enough to not really matter anymore

"It's year 2029 when the movie takes place. There's an epilogue scene in Days of Future Past which is 2024, or 2023, something like that. I just wanted to get far enough past. My goal was real simple: it was to pick a time where I had enough elbow room that I was clear of existing entanglements. Part of the way I think these films stop being fresh (these films being franchise comic book movies) is when you find yourself making essentially a television series with $200 million episodes where you're literally just picking up where the last one left off and you're making a mini-series. Then, it's impossible to do something fresh, meaning essentially you're just a director on the 14th episode of a television show picking up where the last one left off and people are going to be really startled by any discontinuity or changes. The goal here was to somehow make a film that's different: to be a filmmaker myself and go, 'How would I bring myself to this? What would I do if I was starting from scratch? What would I explore? What have I seen not explored?' Not only in the X-Men universe but in comic book movies in general."

http://movieweb.com/logan-wolverine-3-director-explains-futuristic-setting/

Yeah, I've heard that Mangold isn't trying to set up any new X-Men movies, or lead into any new X-Men movies, or playing to any larger sort of plan w/ X-Men universe at Fox. This isn't really spinning off of anything that came before, and it's not leading into anything that will come after.

Which seems... I dunno. It's good info for readjusting expectations, I guess.

Not to say some director won't come along in a few years and decide to build a sequel out of whatever Mangold left behind here w/r/t Laura. But basically: nobody involved with this movie was interested in, or was trying to, set up anything with this movie. It's a stand-alone.

This is how I have been treating it.

With the way the X-Men films have turned out I just can't imagine continuity issues ruining this movie for people.

More movies need to do this.

One off stories with the same characters are a perfect way to have fresh ideas while still keeping fans interested.

I mean, comic books do this all the time, no reason why movies based on comic books can't do the same thing.

AHA-Lambda

Well it's seemingly set far enough ahead in time from the other movies anyway that I didn't figure it would have much bearing on them.

kmax

Good. No need to duck the potential plot holes, had they followed the main storyline. More freedom is a good thing.

Weird, the director explained it differently and made it sound like it takes very much place in the same timeline/universe. Just far away enough to not really matter anymore

http://movieweb.com/logan-wolverine-3-director-explains-futuristic-setting/

I think what he's saying is that thanks to DoFP resetting the timeline in a way, it gives him a way to stay in the same universe, but allowing him freedom to reference things differently because Outside of the epilogue of DoFP we don't know what happens between Apocalypse and the epilogue that they can say or do anything and theoretically it would make sense and set itself apart from X1/2/3 which echoes what's being said by Jackman.

After DoFP, you can't really consider it the same universe. It's basically Alternate 1985 from Back to the Future 2. It's not the main X-Men universe anymore. it's the First Class universe now. IMO, DoFP sets the franchise up in a way that makes it so X1, 2 and 3 never happened the way the movies showed. It's the same thing that they did with the Abrahms Star Trek.. Same "universe" but new characters and stories.

You joke, but I fully expect that to be the ending, setting up for New Mutants. Hope I'm wrong.

Mangold doesn't seem to be interested at all in tying into anything, and apparently Fox wasn't even thinking of this movie as a bridge in that way, and so said bridging never even came up as a possibility or potentiality.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there much to be gained by setting it in the main universe, adhering to all the continuity? I don't really think so. We all know Wolverine's story by now.

I'm not sure if I do. I never read the comics, except the Logan in Japan one, so I'm a "normal" fan, aware of his powers.

This is what I think I understand about his origin:

He's Canadian, and was experimented on in a tube by that General or whatever played by Brian Cox. I think they were able to put adamatium in him because his healing factor doesn't reject it or something. Brian Cox guy - I think he has an angry sounding name, like, General Bastard or something.

He escaped and ran into the snow and is mad because he doesn't remember who he is or how he got metal bones and claws and healing factor.

Oh and (movie) Cyclops is PURE GARBAGE. An angsty 35 year old "teen" with jealousy issues and an inconsistent "power" that's much more of a liability than anything else.

Deadpool, Cable, X-23, Colossus, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead is a superhero team I would watch.

Well, shit, that could be your X-Force movie team right there.

Though it might need someone else to be a leader. Deadpool is the most popular, but he's not leader material.

Do we need another Wolverine movie at all?

This could be said about any superhero movie. Do we really need another Captain America 6: Iron Man 4 X Blackadampanther?

Yes, because Wolverine is cool and Jackman is a great actor and the best Wolverine possible.

Comic books do side storys and "what if" stories all the time.

Dont see the problem with movies doing the same. No point in locking everything into one canon. Especially now when comic book movies are kinda hitting the wall creatively after a decade of cinematic universe stuff holding them down.

Burt

Well, shit, that could be your X-Force movie team right there.

Though it might need someone else to be a leader. Deadpool is the most popular, but he's not leader material.

Yeah definitely not, but I think Cable or Colossus could pick up the slack. Probably Cable, being the grizzled 'seen some shit from the future' combat veteran who would actually know what they have to do.

Can't be worse than movie Cyclops

You're still the greatest though, James Marsden

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's fine with me. I'd rather they focus on telling a good story instead of worrying about the continuity of some half assed shared universe. I'll take a good movie over easter eggs. Is anyone really that attached to the X-Men cinematic universe? It's a mess already.

Does this mean Gambit gets to wear his pink suit again?

Seriously though, it sounds good to have the film stand alone. A superhero film about the man instead of the world-saving could be great.

Can we have more superhero movies like this? The whole cinematic universe thing is starting to wear a bit thin for me.

Marvel Studios could easily finance a lower budget standalone film that is director driven.

Old Man Logan was set in an alternate future so in a way this movie is just being somewhat faithful to the comic and general X-Men timeline fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom