• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman: LOGAN not set in the main X-Men Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I will not accept any X-23 movie without Hellion. Hands down one of the best new X-characters of the last 20 years. He can turn up any story singlehandedly. If they do teen x-23 without him they will face serious clap back.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Seriously though, it sounds good to have the film stand alone. A superhero film about the man instead of the world-saving could be great.

In all fairness, this was basically The Wolverine.

It would have been a fine film too without that stupid fucking Transformer in the third act.

SpaceWolf

Banned
And Viper. She was absolutely awful.

ebaca343a04211d899cb1bec52a88856.jpg

Viper: (Pulls sultry pose) I am a brilliant scientist who also dresses like a stripper.
Logan: I...right, okay.
Viper: (Pulls another sultry pose) I want to kill you, Wolverine.
Logan: ...why?
Viper: (Pulls yet another sultry pose)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
In all fairness, this was basically The Wolverine.

It would have been a fine film too without that stupid fucking Transformer in the third act.

That still breaks my heart. The Wolverine was doing so well and then it gave into fuckery at the very end.

Viper: (Pulls sultry pose) I am a brilliant scientist who also dresses like a stripper.

She did die a laughable death. lol

Zombine

Banned
So the timeline is this, right?

X-Men Origins: Wolverine > X1 > X2 > X3 > Wolverine

X-Men: First Class is both a prequel to the original universe, and a prequel to Days of Future Past.

The end of Wolverine is the beginning of the bad future which is shown in X-Men Days of Future Past, and the end of that film is the split in the universe and the start of the new canon.

So the new canon is X-Men: First class > Days of Future Past > Age of Apocalyse> (empty space + time jump)> Dead Pool > (empty space + time jump) > Logan

Fuck my brain hurts but this is right. Legion should take place between the time jumps.

SpaceWolf

Banned

X-Men: First Class is both a prequel to the original universe, and a prequel to Days of Future Past.

The end of Wolverine is the beginning of the bad future which is shown in X-Men Days of Future Past, and the end of that film is the split in the universe and the start of the new canon.

So the new canon is X-Men: First class > Days of Future Past > Age of Apocalyse> (empty space + time jump)> Dead Pool > (empty space + time jump) > Logan

Fuck my brain hurts but this is right. Legion should take place between the time jumps.

Logan seemingly isn't part of any particular timeline, which is sort of the point of this thread.

Zombine

Banned
Logan seemingly isn't part of any particular timeline, which is sort of the point of this thread.

He's said prior that it's far enough in the future that they have a ton of wiggle room. This timeline gives it that space the breathe. Both reports are conflicting yet Old Man Logan takes place in its own universe in the comic.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Wolverine Origins is completely non-canon

Good. Fuck continuity, it's nothing but a handicap in most cases. Every movie should be able to stand on its own with a few exceptions like Lord of the Rings that are planned from the start.

The best superhero stories (DKR, All Star Superman, New Frontier) almost always take place in their own universes anyway.

Good. Fuck continuity, it's nothing but a handicap in most cases. Every movie should be able to stand on its own with a few exceptions like Lord of the Rings that are planned from the start.

The best superhero stories (DKR, All Star Superman, New Frontier) almost always take place in their own universes anyway.

The X-men comics were great largely because of their tight continuity and went down the tubes thanks to alternate timeline fuckery

And that's why First Class remains the best X-Men movie by a wide margin

First Class was mediocre outside the Magneto "Frankenstein's Monster" scene.

Killing Darwin in the way they did never sat well with me. Took me out of the film.

Dunno what people see in that rubbish. X-men 2 stomps it into the ground.

The attack on the POTUS scene was pretty great and the mansion assault (where Wolverine finally kills) were pretty great.

OmegaFax

I'm okay with the Bond levels of geriatric continuity that goes on with the X-Men universe. If they can establish the character and tell a good story without being tied down by continuity at every turn, sure, cool.

LewieP

Is Legion connected to the Fox Cinematic Universe, ala Agents Of Shield?
I actually think that Fox have TV rights to the Xmen but don't have the rights to directly tie them to the movies. So legion can be an Xmen show, but even though he's professor x's son, he can't be MaCavoy or Stewart's professor x's son.

Obviously they can suggest and allude to connections, but they can't do direct connections or even cameos.

Can't remember where I read this, I could be slightly off the mark.

The X-men comics were great largely because of their tight continuity and went down the tubes thanks to alternate timeline fuckery

Comic-books and movies are very different mediums. If X-Men was a tv show, I would want it to adhere to a continuity from episode to episode obviously. But we get an X-Men movie every couple of years from different directors, so I prefer to treat them as stand alone graphic novels basically. Unless they are very specifically written to be episodic like Star Wars or LotR.

Drifters

So Deadpool arriving with Bishop at the end to basically tell him it wasn't the "real-real" time line and that in order to restore the "normal" timeline he has to time travel. This should be fun.

bengraven

I actually think that Fox have TV rights to the Xmen but don't have the rights to directly tie them to the movies. So legion can be an Xmen show, but even though he's professor x's son, he can't be MaCavoy or Stewart's professor x's son.

Obviously they can suggest and allude to connections, but they can't do direct connections or even cameos.

Can't remember where I read this, I could be slightly off the mark.

Apparently Prof X is going to be in the show somewhere and is likely played by Stewart. Rumor says.

StayDead

That seems like odd clothing for a stripper to wear. I imagine it'd be quite hard to strip that off seductively.

PSqueak

Banned
Im okay with this, they can just go like "it's an off shoot time line from before they get it right for the happy future in DofP".

I guess every Xmen movie is it's own universe and stand alone then. Because they also ignore continuity.

After DofP, all bets are off, because inconsistencies can be chalked to time fuckery.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Is Legion connected to the Fox Cinematic Universe, ala Agents Of Shield?

No, but there is another tv show planned or in the works that ties in to the movies or at least it's set in the same universe unlike Legion.

But then isn't Deadpool supposed to cameo in this, too?

How's that gonna

That was just a rumor and honestly I don't see him fitting in to this movie tonewise. The comicbook part was already a bit jarring.

People are getting annoyed by this? Marvel have been time, universe... Quantum leaping and everything all around with their comics.

Volimar

How can this not be part of the main universe? I don't mind spoilers.

Marvel is (or was, not sure how things have shaken out lately) based on a multiverse. Different comics take place on different Earths with the main comics Earth being Earth-616. It's how there can be different comics runs with the same hero on different teams or having different solo adventures at the same time. Old Man Logan, the comic the movie is based on, takes place on Earth-807128.

The cinematic Marvel universe(s) might be different from 616, but they're also different from the universe that Logan takes place in.

Hope that helps...it's pretty confusing but just accept it's not the same Earth as previous movies and you'll get along fine.

And the unnecessary fuckery of the Silver Samurai
I dunno why they didn't just make Mariko's dad Silver Samurai and leave old man Yashida dead.

Yukio: (Punches Viper)
Viper: (SULTRY. POSE.)
the-wolverine-svetlana-khodchenkova-600x421.jpeg

Wasn't that the point of ant man before the director quit?
Yeah...

:(

Right choice because of the mess x men movies have become. Would prefer this in general, would comic characters to tell better stories without being forced to relate to previous movies. I want my spiderman kraven movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom