• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman: LOGAN not set in the main X-Men Universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I like that they don't give a shit and just set out to make the movie they wanted. I wish others were given that leeway to make an elseworlds film if they wanted. Would make for better movies at times tbh

Anyways I'm gonna consider this an alternate extension of the ending to singers xmen timeline. Because a big part of those first 3 films he made was the relationship between xavier and Logan and this looks like a great dramatic end to that

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't see how it needs to be so beholden to continuity. That simply doesn't look like the movie they're trying to make. What matters is that the core idea of the character is there, and that they're true to that. From there, they can tell whatever story they want.

I mean Deadpool was more or less the same thing. If they just wanted to tell one-off elseworld stories, that would be fine by me.

Hell, maybe the DC movies would benefit from that route. I remember talking to a friend like 8 years ago about how that would be cool to see someone try.

Epcott

*shrug* Ok, so it's not canon to the other films... so why bother having the after credits scene at the end of Apocalypse?

Not that I'm annoyed, just further evidence of Fox not knowing wtf they're doing as far as long term narrative.

I don't mind this. Old school James Bond-style semi-continuity could let the writers focus more on making good movies rather than franchise building.

kswiston

X-Men timeline is too much of a mess for me to care really.

This might be the comic film I am looking forward to most. This or Guardians. We'll see how Spider-man shapes up.

X-Men timeline is too much of a mess for me to care really.

This might be the comic film I am looking forward to most. This or Guardians. We'll see how Spider-man shapes up.
For me it's this and Thor: Ragnarok, surprisingly. Taikia Waititi, the cast, the Hulk, the synopsis... it all sounds pretty damn amazing.

I don't see how it needs to be so beholden to continuity. That simply doesn't look like the movie they're trying to make. What matters is that the core idea of the character is there, and that they're true to that. From there, they can tell whatever story they want.

I mean Deadpool was more or less the same thing. If they just wanted to tell one-off elseworld stories, that would be fine by me.

Hell, maybe the DC movies would benefit from that route. I remember talking to a friend like 8 years ago about how that would be cool to see someone try.

Part of me wishes that George Miller's Justice League happened (the other part thinks, screw it, Fury Road is better than all these comic movies), and Warners would've allowed different versions of the characters with different actor.

Like, I want a period piece Batman movie series. But if you want these characters to cross over with the same actors, you're mostly stuck keeping them in modern times.

Blader

I think he just means the world of Logan is a different setting, tone, etc. from typical X-Men movies. Not literally a separate universe.

*shrug* Ok, so it's not canon to the other films... so why bother having the after credits scene at the end of Apocalypse?

Yeah. They did, after all, say that was canon.

Yeah now that comic book comment in the trailer really cuts any ties to everything before Logan

Not really, as he does state those people did exist.

From the comments, I'm assuming that we will actually see it tie into the main X-Verse via time travel/alt-reality tomfoolery. Nothing huge, but just enough. Maybe it's even Sinister himself fucking with timelines.

Does Old Man Logan's story explore why he's an old man? The movies always explained that Logan's mutation was such that his cells didn't degenerate, so he didn't age really. I know movies aren't exactly the best source, but I assumed the comics were similar in terms of Logan's mutation.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Does Old Man Logan's story explore why he's an old man? The movies always explained that Logan's mutation was such that his cells didn't degenerate, so he didn't age really. I know movies aren't exactly the best source, but I assumed the comics were similar in terms of Logan's mutation.

If I recall correctly, the Old Man Logan story is set like, forty years or so in the future and within that time-frame, Logan's healing factor has just naturally broken down. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

What's this, a standalone superhero movie that is allowed to resolve its central conflict without turning into an advertisement for at least two interconnected sequels/crossovers? I'm gonna faint.

Part of me wishes that George Miller's Justice League happened (the other part thinks, screw it, Fury Road is better than all these comic movies), and Warners would've allowed different versions of the characters with different actor.

Like, I want a period piece Batman movie series. But if you want these characters to cross over with the same actors, you're mostly stuck keeping them in modern times.

DC should seriously think about doing Elseworld stand alones. They could exist alongside the DCEU and that approach would also differentiate them from Marvel. Stories like Gotham by Gaslight or Red Son could be massive. Everybody already knows Batman and Superman and seeing them in these unfamiliar settings could garner a lot of interest.

And I hate myself so much for shitting on the idea of a George Miller Justice League movie a decade ago.

Not that I'm annoyed, just further evidence of Fox not knowing wtf they're doing as far as long term narrative.

It was probably meant to be and the director is just making shit up as he goes

Glass Rebel

That's fine, I guess. Fox doesn't really seem to care about continuity and it hardly affects the quality of their movies in any meaningful way. Sometimes you get something decent like DOFP, sometimes you get a flaming garbage heap like Apoc. Let's hope this is more like the former rather than the latter.

That's fine, I guess. Fox doesn't really seem to care about continuity and it hardly affects the quality of their movies in any meaningful way. Sometimes you get something decent like DOFP, sometimes you get a flaming garbage heap like Apoc. Let's hope this is more like the former rather than the latter.

They stopped caring after X3. That movie was so damaging that they had to blow up the space time continuum to fix it.

I don't think it's unrealistic to say that if X3 had been a decent movie where cyclops, Jean, and Xavier all survived that the movies after would have been fairly standard sequels instead of timeline fuckery.

Glass Rebel

They stopped caring after X3. That movie was so damaging that they had to blow up the space time continuum to fix it.

I don't think it's unrealistic to say that if X3 had been a decent movie where cyclops, Jean, and Xavier all survived that the movies after would have been fairly standard sequels instead of timeline fuckery.

Hey, who knows. On the other hand, the way it turned out, they stopped caring before X3.

Daniel-Bryan-YES-YES-YES.gif

This just makes me more excited.

King Kye

Banned
This whole thing is coming full circle.

LOL yup.

I actually find this to be disappointing news.

The connectivity is the biggest draw for me with superhero films today. Seeing how things develop in the large web is so fun, especially when you look back at the older films with new insights.

_Ryo_

Stand alone one off films not beholden to the narrativesof past films need to become more of a thing.

Imagine instead of having to keep rebooting a series you just go and make a great film.

That's not to say cinematic universes or sequels shouldn't exist but I think they need to exist in tandem with one shots.

Edit:
I even think people would love or at least appreciate The Last Stand a lot more if it were not a sequel to X2 and if it was a completely standalone film unbeholden to any larger universe or narrative.

Then they could have made the real X3 and carried on making the typical sequels after that.

hidys

If I recall correctly, the Old Man Logan story is set like, forty years or so in the future and within that time-frame, Logan's healing factor has just naturally broken down. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

It's wrong.

Old Man Logan was set outside of main Marvel continuity which it had to be since pretty much all of the main heroes are dead.

Apparently its set in Earth- 807128 outside of the main 616.

I believe they even brought Old Man Logan into the main Marvel Universe after Secret Wars so now there is the default Wolverine and Old Man Logan in the same universe.

This is the last time we'll see Jackman as Wolverine. It's a shame his heydey pre-dated the present era of Marvel films, because I think he could have thrived alongside Robert Downey had he began his role in this climate.

opricnik

Banned
So if this is an elseworld thing could they recast Wolverine for the X-Men Apocalypse continuity?

Pretty sure i saw multiple news about Apocalypse follow-up will never be a thing rather they wait for cooldown with shows/spin-off movies ala(Legion,X-force,deadpool,new mutants) and will reboot entire xmen after that.Considering (jlaw/fassbender/beast guy) said they wont return. Probably that is . Xmen will be in hiatus mode for few years i suppose.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's wrong.

Old Man Logan was set outside of main Marvel continuity which it had to be since pretty much all of the main heroes are dead.

Apparently its set in Earth- 807128 outside of the main 616.

I believe they even brought Old Man Logan into the main Marvel Universe after Secret Wars so now there is the default Wolverine and Old Man Logan in the same universe.

...how does any of that have to do with absolutely anything that I was saying?

Blader

Guys, the director said literally the other day that this movie is set 5-6 years after the DOFP epilogue. I think you're taking Jackman's use of "universe" a little too literally.

SpaceWolf

Banned
James Mangold Clarifies Hugh Jackman's Confusing Continuity Statements Regarding LOGAN
Logan star Hugh Jackman made some confusing statements this weekend when he gave an interview implying that his final film as Wolverine would be set in a different universe than prior films in the X-Men franchise. "When you see the full movie you'll understand," he told Digital Spy. "Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it's a slightly different universe. It's actually a different paradigm and that will become clear."

Of course, this was surprising to many, especially considering the involvement of Patrick Stewart's Professor Xavier, who has had an extensive role in the overall story of the franchise. Now, due to some fans being vocal about their confusion, Logan director James Mangold (who has known to be quite vigilant in debunking rumours and speculation about the film) took to Twitter to respond. "[I] Don't think @RealHughJackman said that exactly. Simple fact. We take place in 2029, 5 yrs past anything depicted in XMEN [films]."

That's pretty definitive, but the director also followed up and clarified that Jackman's statement just meant that the team had freedom to do what they wished by setting the film after the events of Days of Future Past. "Because we take place after all the other movies, we have freedom. That's all he meant. Breathe."

Stand down, soliders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom