• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hulk Hogan vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. John Cena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Steiner

He'd beat the crap out of hogan/austin/rock because they're BALD, and then he'd outmuscle Cena because he's a GENETIC FREAK.

Big Poppa Pump is your hookup, HOLLA, IF YOU HEAR ME.

EbQx9zh.gif

mxgt

Banned
I feel lucky that I was a kid during the Austin + Rock years, truly magical times.

Looking back I do think Austin was overall better on the mic than the rock. Certainly a better all rounder as Rock was very reliant on gags and catch phrases.

Austin drew a lot, but then i look at the people he drew and i start to think it wasnt always that positive of a thing. Never in my life have i seen as many confederate flags at a wrestling venue as i did when going to a WWE event with Stone Cold was the headliner. And i live in WCW territory!

At the end of the day its obviously The Rock, i mean the guy has his own show thats still airing to this day. Stone Cold only has a podcast.

bigfurb

Austin drew a lot, but then i look at the people he drew and i start to think it wasnt always that positive of a thing. Never in my life have i seen as many confederate flags at a wrestling venue as i did when going to a WWE event with Stone Cold was the headliner. And i live in WCW territory!

This too, maybe i just don't relate as much to ass kickin, beer chuggin, redneck trucker types

In terms of impact on the industry I don't see how it can be anyone but Hogan, especially if you look at Hulkamania AND nWo. He was the driving force behind two different, hugely successful eras.

On a personal level Austin was my favourite.

GunBR

Austin is the biggest draw with wrasslin fans, but there's only one guy of this group making 1 billion at Box Office

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I feel like Flair should be the 4th guy here instead of Cena. The answer to the question is Austin though. Austin in his prime was just magical.

Couleurs

Scott Steiner

He'd beat the crap out of hogan/austin/rock because they're BALD, and then he'd outmuscle Cena because he's a GENETIC FREAK.

Big Poppa Pump is your hookup, HOLLA, IF YOU HEAR ME.

EbQx9zh.gif

Now we gotta run the numbers to see the odds of Steiner winning a 6 way with Joe/Austin/Rock/Hogan/Cena

I'm getting Steiner with a 158 1/3 % chance of winning:

Steiner vs Joe 1 on 1 = Steiner with a 75% chance of winning to Joe's 25% (since Steiner is a genetic freak) - this doesn't change

6 man = Steiner 83 1/3% chance (since Austin/Rock/Hogan/Cena won't even try) to Joe's 16 2/3% chance

Joe's 16 2/3% chance minus his 25% chance of beating Steiner 1 on 1 = Joe has a -8 1/3% chance of winning the 6 man

Steiner's 75% chance of beating Joe 1 on 1 + his 83 1/3% chance of winning the 6 man = 158 1/3% total

So if this was a match with all four of them at the height of their careers, who would win?

Kayfabe, height of their career?

Hogan, because he never lost a match unless he was taking time off to film a movie or TV show. Stone Cold, the Rock, and Cena all lost matches to build a greater storyline down the road.

Hogan, for basically 11 years, never really lost without some ulterior motive, and so if we're assuming he's not going off to film Suburban Commando 2: Urban Commando or No Holds Barred the Revenge: All Holds Barred, then it's safe to assume Hulk ain't losing.

Austin was nice on the mic, but better than the Rock?!? No

Love both of them, but honestly... I might give the nod for Austin in that his promos were convincing and never a joke for most of his career. Pretty early in the Rocks superstar rise, his promos became joking, not serious promos. I don't know if the Rock has ever cut a mean, serious promo, which was Austin's MO for 4 or 5 years.

I'm sure most have seen his greatest ECW promo... but just to repost it because goddam it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRe9PAGfCw

This was obviously the Stone Cold persona before it was Stone Cold, but you can see just how talented he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PEc83kqXQM

And that doesn't take anything away from the Rock, either, to be just behind Steve Austin. The Rock is one of the greatest entertainers in wrestling, but his promos go to the well too often. It's part of what makes it great, but it also lacks reality for me. Steve Austin could go to the well, too, and has plenty of his sayings and common lines, but he could also be real and those were some of his best moments. The Rock's promos are like Hulkamania Hogan's for me, which are also freaking amazing, but most of them are structured around his big lines and the same themes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Cena has not ever reached mainstream popularity as the likes of Hogan, SCSA & The Rock. He's gonna be remembered as a rapper that was once organically over but was than shoved down our throats for 10 years.

He hasn't rapped regularly since 2007. Kudos on showing how little knowledge you have of Cena's career.

jmdajr

It depends on which era of Vince McMahon is booking the match.

Attitude Era Vince McMahon would book Austin to win the match because that era Vince was constantly worried about WCW beating him up, so Vince would be forced to book Austin to win since he is probably the most over of the 4 guys in this matchup. If any other era of Vince McMahon is booking this match, then Cena is going over because Cena is the probably the ultimate Vince McMahon dream superstar.
Seems fair

EBreda

Everything is predetermined, and yeah you're spot on... Good wrestling storylines are drawn up months or years in advance and matches are predetermined, and usually scripted down to a specific series of events. But when people do wrestler vs wrestler in threads like this, you're not (usually) talking who would win in a real fight, but rather, who had the best skill... Wrestling athleticism, ability to sell (eg look like you're fighting or getting hurt), ability to tell a story, ability to make your opponent look good, ability to get the fans going, strength of your fictional character, career arc, etc. Some people will also put in real life factors, like Hogan being a racist, Austin abusing his wife, Warrior​ being an asshole, etc. Usually in threads like this I try to look past that, but sometimes you can't separate that.

While wrestlers have a lot to owe to the time they were wrestling and random good fortune, usually the truly talented guys rise to the top and are put up against each other in threads like this.

It's mostly like arguing who was the best James Bond actor or who was the best actor in a mob movie, etc. You realize they're actors playing characters that we're at the fortune of good writers, but you use other characteristics to argue about it.

I got I now. Thanks for the amazing explanation.

At the end of the day its obviously The Rock, i mean the guy has his own show thats still airing to this day. Stone Cold only has a podcast.

The Rock is obviously the most popular in a world of marks and has the most mainstream appeal of any wrestler of all time that will never be topped, but among smarks, Stone Cold is held in the highest regard. SCSA got the biggest pop out of Hogan & Rock at WM30. It's arguable that The Rock gained more popularity once he left.

He hasn't rapped regularly since 2007. Kudos on showing how little knowledge you have of Cena's career.

Cena started getting booed out of the building in 2006. He wasn't rapping when RVD took the belt off him at ONS. I believe he stopped rapping once he moved to RAW or sometime shortly after. 2005 is a bit fuzzy to me, but 2006 I don't remember him rapping at all.

1) Hogan - he built wrestling for what it is today and revived his career and a new era with Hollywood Hogan.

2) Stone Cold - changed wrestling forever in the 90's and saved WWE. Best wrestler of the 4.

3) The Rock - most popular wrestler of all time. During his peak I'd still say he wasn't as popular as Austin or Hogan, but he sure as shit surpassed them by miles once his short run ended 96-03, which is ridiculously short for a wrestling career.

4) Cena - didn't have the impact of Hogan made. Doesn't have Austins talent and is nowhere near as popular as The Rock. Not knocking the guy as he's really fucking good and plays the crowd better than anyone in his era and can put on a great match with the right opponent.

Striker

Cena started getting booed out of the building in 2006. He wasn't rapping when RVD took the belt off him at ONS. I believe he stopped rapping once he moved to RAW or sometime shortly after. 2005 is a bit fuzzy to me, but 2006 I don't remember him rapping at all.
2006 he was doing the Marine shtick. He really hasn't changed his persona for 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom