• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hype level check for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

I was able to attend a media briefing with Infinity Ward's Eric Monacelli here in the Philippines (during our e-sports and gaming summit) and wrote about it:

According to Monacelli, one of the themes of Infinite Warfare’s campaign mode was the exploration of a soldier’s progression from being a low-ranking grunt to being a captain or a leader. In terms of story influences, he listed two military-themed movies: Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. He also added that they wanted to tell “a good, classic, old fashioned war story“, one wherein there’s “a very clear good and a very clear evil“

Multiplayer is a hallmark of the Call of Duty series and Monacelli described how Infinite Warfare aims to continue the franchise’s multiplayer legacy: “Multiplayer has always been a pillar of Call of Duty. We have been known for creating probably one of the best multiplayers in gaming, if not the best arguably. So what we we’re thinking of doing this year is look at what we can bring to players, what can really excite them”.

For anyone who wants to read, here's the full article.

When Zombie Youtubers played it at CoD XP they were overall positive about it.

Not all off us; it definitely had some issues at XP. If I had to describe that build we played, I'd say it was essentially an Exo Zombies built for current gen, minus the boost jumping of course.

That said, have to remember that it was an early build and was stripped of several features and all easter eggs, so not representative of the final product, but I was definitely wary of it at XP.
Think final game will be markedly improved, if only because of how much feedback we've tried to give and how hard the team have been working on getting it just right. It wasn't 3arc level, but was competent. :)

Kalentan

Not all off us; it definitely had some issues at XP. If I had to describe that build we played, I'd say it was essentially an Exo Zombies built for current gen, minus the boost jumping of course.

That said, have to remember that it was an early build and was stripped of several features and all easter eggs, so not representative of the final product, but I was definitely wary of it at XP.
Think final game will be markedly improved, if only because of how much feedback we've tried to give and how hard the team have been working on getting it just right. It wasn't 3arc level, but was competent. :)

Woah, didn't even realize you posted on here. That's neat. :D

Thanks for the comment.

Wait, a Call of Duty campaign taking influence from Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down?! Wow!

I think the point is that just because they're doing a Sci-Fi game doesn't mean they're solely looking at other Sci-Fi for influence but still want to take influence from wars of past and current.

Schlorgan

I think the point is that just because they're doing a Sci-Fi game doesn't mean they're solely looking at other Sci-Fi for influence but still want to take influence from wars of past and current.

I just thought all Call of Duty campaigns were taking influence from Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

I wonder if they're talking about Infinite Warfare or Modern Warfare Remastered. :3

Kalentan

I just thought all Call of Duty campaigns were taking influence from Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

I wonder if they're talking about Infinite Warfare or Modern Warfare Remastered. :3

They're for sure talking about IW.

According to Monacelli, one of the themes of Infinite Warfare’s campaign mode was the exploration of a soldier’s progression from being a low-ranking grunt to being a captain or a leader. In terms of story influences, he listed two military-themed movies: Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. He also added that they wanted to tell “a good, classic, old fashioned war story“, one wherein there’s “a very clear good and a very clear evil“. As for the decision to take Call of Duty to space, Monacelli said that they talked to their various military advisors and asked about where the wars of the future will take place. The idea was that once mankind ventures into the gathering of space resources, war and conflict will follow soon after.

Toa TAK

Banned
Competent is Exo-Zombies, I don't want competent. :( Exo-Zombies wasn't bad, but it just wasn't on that level.

I'm hoping that the mode will surprise, as the multiplayer wasn't great in the beta and this and the campaign are what I've got to look forward to.

Top Bottom