• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Historia, The Zelda 25th anniversary art book.

beastmode

No there will be a second print run.

Second print run with revised timeline - this time with 4 alternate timelines.
Link decides he wants to be a righty after using the Wii Zapper so he convinces the Goddesses to send him back in time to the beginning of Twilight Princess and use the Dark Mirror or Mirror of Twilight to flip the universe.

OoT -> MM -> TP -> FSA
OoT -> TP -> Link's Crossbow Training -> TP

Jomjom

Banned
Link decides he wants to be a righty after using the Wii Zapper so he convinces the Goddesses to send him back in time to the beginning of Twilight Princess and use the Dark Mirror or Mirror of Twilight to flip the universe.

OoT -> MM -> TP -> FSA
OoT -> TP -> Link's Crossbow Training -> TP

Haha. This got me thinking though. Where are the CD-i games and the Zelda cartoon???

3rd print of the Historia and 5th alternate timeline confirmed.

I have one for the Zelda cartoon actually. OoT Link goes to fight Ganondorf, but chickens out and runs away never to be seen again. Legend tells of Link's cowardice and boys who grow up to be big douchebags are renamed Link and are trained to say "Well excuuuuuuse me Princess!" at every opportunity.

OoT -> ALttP -> Oracle games -> Link's Awakening -> LoZ cartoon

f353b340.jpg

Hyrule Historia get!

Won't get a chance to look at it until later today, but it arrived just now!

They included an OoT syllabary. Basically, all the writing on the walls of OoT 3D can be translated (Including the Spirit Temple, which is an English alphabet). Heh.

Also, Link's Crossbow Training and BS Zelda are acknowledged in the timeline section.

dock

Why oh why won't Yesasia ship this to meeeee in the UK?
Are there any other sources that will ship to the UK?

I need this in my
pants
life.

I see I can order this on YesAsia

Is this worth owning if you can't read the text? As in, is there enough art/is it substantial enough?

Duderz

Banned
Awesome man, thank you. I can only hope NOA will translate and release this here, considering that NA is the most enthusiastic for the Zelda franchise.

I wonder why she got cut? That game really went through an overhaul.

AniHawk

I wonder why she got cut? That game really went through an overhaul.

the game went from being oot's immediate sequel to the twilight princess we know and love today. apparently this happened between 2004 and 2005 when miyamoto upended the tea table.

i think the tp crew discovered their ideas for the game were a little too ambitious for the hardware, and that the focus of the game being the oot/tww connection wasn't doing them any favors. when miyamoto came in, he probably didn't give a shit about the story and just wanted to make sure basic things like dungeons were well-made and that everything else was good to go too.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy crap @ at that Ganondorf design that looks like that one from OoT. It's terrifying.

And why the hell no Zant concept, Nintendo?

And is it me or does the guy with a cold in the Skyward Sword section could mean there was a Ice Area at some time during development?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm so pissed. I was in Tokyo on the 21st when this book was released. Stopped by several book stores 2 hours before my flight... Fail :(

Hope I can get one when I go back in March.

This is getting into dangerous territory.

Actually, that's a fair point. Do shitty mobile phone pics in bad lighting count as scans? Are the ToS for art books the same as for magazines?

I would argue that as the main draw of an art book is to own and appreciate the detail of the original, whereas the draw of a magazine is the currency of the information contained therein, so they're not equivalent, but I'd be happy to take them down at the request of a mod.

I'm going to expand on what I typed up earlier (since I did it on my lunch and was in a hurry). There's two types of time travel in Ocarina of Time. The first is what the Master Sword does, it's similar to Back to the Future. You travel between two points, but if you make any changes in the past, a new timeline is created. The other is basically Zelda creating a timeline with the Ocarina, which she does at the end of the game. Here's a more detailed breakdown of the 3 timelines.

Timeline 1 (the original timeline): Link pulls the Master Sword and goes into his 7 year hibernation in the Sacred Realm, this pulls him out of Hyrule for 7 years. During that 7 year span, Ganondorf begins his assault on Hyrule. Because there is nobody to wield the Master Sword, 7 Wise Men (or Sages in the GBA version I believe) seal Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm. This sets up the events of A Link to the Past, and the rest of the 2d games.

Timeline 2: (the Adult timeline): Link wakes up from his 7 year hibernation inside the Sacred Realm (just a hunch, but I think Link and Rauru are in the pyramid from A Link to the Past), Rauru sends Link back to Hyrule. At this point, we're still on timeline 1, which is why Link can go back and forth by placing and removing the Master Sword. Timeline 2 is created when Link plays the Song of Storms in the windmill in Kakariko. He alters the future by doing something in the past (like when old Biff gives young Biff the sports almanac in Back to the Future 2). When Link returns to the future by removing the Master Sword, he is traveling between timeline 1 and timeline 2 (like when Marty goes back to 1985 after young Biff got the almanac and everything was changed). Link defeats Ganondorf, the sages seal him in the Sacred Realm and the events of Wind Waker happen.

Timeline 3 (the Zelda created timeline): Zelda uses the Ocarina to send Link back to regain his childhood, however, instead of going to timeline 1, he goes to a new timeline. Because he was sent back via the Ocarina and not the Master Sword (he puts it back after he arrives) is what causes the split (this also closes off any chance of Link returning to timeline 1). In this timeline, Link warns everyone in Hyrule Castle about Ganondorf (the Triforce of Courage is his evidence) and Ganondorf's attack on Hyrule fails, he's arrested and that's when the events of Twilight Princess take place, after Link goes on his trip through Termina (and really fucks up their timeline, creating a shitload of new timelines that are doomed to end in 3 days every time).

Some people have been wondering how Four Swords can connect to Twilight Princess. Ganondorf is killed at the end of Twilight Princess when Zant snaps his neck and the Triforce of Power leaves him (the ToP was keeping him alive). A new Gerudo male is born and he either is named Ganondorf or changes his name to Ganondorf. He breaks Gerudo law and breaks into the pyramid and steals the Trident, the evil power of the Trident turns him in Ganon. Its pretty much confirmed that the Ganondorf\Ganon in Four Swords Adventures isn't the same Ganondorf from Ocarina.

There is one problem with this. When Link initially goes to the future, the windmill man already knows the song and is angry with the boy. So it would seem that the 7 years in the future takes into account Link's altering of the past. So that wouldn't really explain how a new timeline was created, unless I'm missing what you're saying.

I want to buy this, preferably new, and am willing to pay whatever that takes (within reason). Am I boned? On sale anywhere other than eBay and Amazon Markeplace?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Turns out the Manga is a prequel. It's not very long. (More or so 30 pages) and it looks quite good, if only I could understand it.

But from what I can understand, it's the end of the war that forced Hylia to raise Skyloft. The manga retcon the origin of the Master Sword, though. When Hylia gives the sword to that times' Link, it's already in it's final form (with the OoT design even, not the TP/SS design). It also looks like it's actually Link that raises Skyloft using the Master Sword. He has to stay behind and ends up mortally wounded and die.

So yeah, manga retcon some stuff and is clearly not canon.

More please! I remember seeing a poster concept of Ocarina of Time in the French Youtube video, can you snap a shot of that? Oh, and don't forget Majora's Mask.

Also, you're the man! Thanks for posting these.

Turns out the Manga is a prequel. It's not very long. (More or so 30 pages) and it looks quite good, if only I could understand it.

But from what I can understand, it's the end of the war that forced Hylia to raise Skyloft. The manga retcon the origin of the Master Sword, though. When Hylia gives the sword to that times' Link, it's already in it's final form (with the OoT design even, not the TP/SS design). It also looks like it's actually Link that raises Skyloft using the Master Sword. He has to stay behind and ends up mortally wounded and die.

So yeah, manga retcon some stuff and is clearly not canon.

Obviously not canon, yeah but I don't see how this would work regardless.
How can SS Link not be the first Link? Hylia creates the role and he's the first to fill it, no?

Picture dump incoming. There has been a request that I post the syllabaries and alphabets. I'm also posting the OoT poster concept and the MM pages.

Skyward Sword alphabet:

56a0d20a.jpg

OoT syllabary:

e47ddc99.jpg

OoT Spirit temple alphabet:

10cfc098.jpg

TP alphabet:

4fa948de.jpg

Wind Waker syllabary:

a67bcdc1.jpg

OoT poster concept:

b91ee0ce.jpg
8dfbe281.jpg

MM concept art:

aa409d06.jpg

d3ade12b.jpg

9804f82d.jpg

f5a31383.jpg

EDIT: Someone requested that I post all the TP concept art. Well, that's a few dozen pages, so you'll need to be more specific than that.

Top Bottom