• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Yes, but in a separate mode called "Free Mode" or something like that.

Is there a difference between regular single player and Free Mode? Hope it's not one of those "beat in single player to unlock in multiplayer" kind of affairs.

NeonZ

Here's how a Warriors game works for the uninformed: "If I just mash this one button, I can win."

Wrong, unless you are playing on Easy, and even then, most Warriors games will pose some sort of difficulty if you chose to do just that.

The main issue is that with most modern Musou games that's not only Easy, but also Normal, the default difficulty. I don't know how Hyrule Warriors plays out, since I haven't played it yet, but I've found that I need to start playing on hard if I want challenge in most modern Musou games. There are only very rare exceptions to that (like Samurai Warriors Chronicles for 3ds).

Now, considering how there's a harder mode, I don't think it should be scored low for that, but Koei does a disservice for themselves with their game balance - especially because the increased difficulties not only raise enemy stats, but also attack rates. I think there'd be a more general positive reaction to them if, even in the lower difficulties, the enemies still were aggressive, just with lower damage and hp.

Golnei

Anyone else hope they add an online mode? And what other characters can they add now? An older Colin from twilight princess?

There's heaps of characters that they can add (Byrne, Groose, Beedle, Twinrova, Nabooru, Yeta/Blizzeta, Blind, Saria, Medli, Skull Kid and Masked Link being the ones I'd like to see most), but I doubt we're getting any more than Cia, Valga and Wizro.

Takuan

I stopped following character vids after the first few reveals, so this is the first time I've seen that Ganondorf gameplay gif... GODLY.

I almost bought WO3 but forgot I had this coming in (pre-ordered at 33% off). WO3 can wait for a sale.

Mdk7

Is there a difference between regular single player and Free Mode? Hope it's not one of those "beat in single player to unlock in multiplayer" kind of affairs.

It's the same, yet there is a difference: the framerate fucks up pretty horribly, and the game kinda turns into a aliasing fest.

Yet it's still fun, as i said in my review for IGN Italy (sorry, Italian only)
http://it.ign.com/hyrule-warriors-wii-u/81495/review/il-fascino-sacrilego-di-hyrule-warriors?watch
(i gave it 8/10 BTW)

Papacheeks

Banned

Where is this multiplayer you speak of? I specifically remember them getting back-lash by journalist when they found out it's only split screen co-op. NO ONLINE CO-OP.

The online mode is a map type of thing where your friends can see your progress in the game and point things out on the map.

There is no online co-op.

MLH

I can start playing on hard mode right?
Worried the game might be too easy/ just button mashing on easier difficulties.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm so torn on this game. On one hand I love Musou and Zelda, but on the other I find the character roster laacking, I hate the original characters, and I hate the hrem bullshit.

I'll most likely get the game because it's Zelda (I'm weak), so I really hope Ninty reads CN surveys.

Takuan

The only thing that sucks is the mp slowdown, but realistically I'm gonna be playing solo anyway.

Bring on da MOOSE.

this seems to be about as divisive as any other warriors game. I havent played one in a long time so I think I will get my enjoyment out of this. Excuse to turn the Wii U on if anything

jonno394

Oh Metro, come on....I usually like your reviews but it sounds like you were really expecting something you shouldn't have, ie a proper Zelda game.

Although you use bombs and boomerangs as secondary weapons there are no environmental puzzles to solve with them

But while this may be a good Dynasty Warriors game it certainly doesn’t deserve to be part of the Zelda franchise.

But it absolutely is not a Zelda game and offers almost nothing of value to the usually legendary adventures of Link.

wrowa

Oh Metro, come on....I usually like your reviews but it sounds like you were really expecting something you shouldn't have, ie a proper Zelda game.

It's kind of silly to critize that it's not a proper Zelda game, when it has for good reasons the name Zelda not even in its title.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For a game that will likely be the first Warriors game for many, a review from someone unfamiliar with the series would be more telling than someone who is familiar and goes in with preconceptions.

69wpm

For a game that will likely be the first Warriors game for many, a review from someone unfamiliar with the series would be more telling than someone who is familiar and goes in with preconceptions.

Right, because those unfamiliar with it won't expect a Zelda game. Wait...

Played the demo in store yesterday. Both my son and I had a great time with it, erasing any doubts I had about adding it to my Wii U collection. I'm expecting it to get repetitive after a while but smashing through crowds of enemies is surprisingly satisfying. The game looks and feels very good. Hyped!

weekev

Banned
It's kind of silly to critize that it's not a proper Zelda game, when it has for good reasons the name Zelda not even in its title.
Yeah clearly someone has asked this guy to review the new Zelda game and hes gone in totally uninformed coming out with a review that is rating the game as a completely different genre than the 1 it belongs to.

Reviews are about where i was expecting if slightly better than i thought. Finding myself getting hyped at the thought that this will probably be in my WiiU this time tomorrow

zroid

Banned
zant.png

f'ing Zant

TimeKillr

Whoever did this review does *not* understand how the Wii U GamePad works...

There's just one major problem -- Off-TV play feels rushed in Hyrule Warriors, and really exposes the lack of power on the GamePad.

Simply put, Warriors games typically display up to 100 models on-screen at once in heated situations, and the GamePad cannot handle it. In some levels -- the Twilight maps in particular, with looming towers in the background -- I've gotten full slowdown spurts as lengthy as 30 seconds (again, this doesn't happen on the TV). Now, the game is doable, and for the sake of experimentation, I completed the entire campaign on hard using Off-TV play. But if at all possible, it's not recommended.

The GamePad simply streams shit from the console - it has zero processing power. The console is doing all the rendering and streaming to the pad, so if there's this slowdown on the pad, it's the console that's messing up. And if he's playing in single-player mode, the only reason this would happen is due to a bad connection from the console to the pad, because the pad is a mirror of the tv - the console just renders and streams it's output to the pad.

Sigh. At least it has a good score.

In fairness they hate musou games anyway, so shorn of the zelda stuff it'd have been the same score.

Anyway, my copy *just* arrived in the post. Time to see for myself!

Thanks for the info!

I'm new to the Musou series, but I consider myself a pretty good player overall. Do you think it will be to tough for me to play Hyrule Warriors in hard mode? Or should I begin in normal mode?

I've been hearing that HW is probably one of the easier games. I think you can jump up the difficultly per level like the other games, but someone else will have to confirm that.

The main issue is that with most modern Musou games that's not only Easy, but also Normal, the default difficulty. I don't know how Hyrule Warriors plays out, since I haven't played it yet, but I've found that I need to start playing on hard if I want challenge in most modern Musou games. There are only very rare exceptions to that (like Samurai Warriors Chronicles for 3ds).

Now, considering how there's a harder mode, I don't think it should be scored low for that, but Koei does a disservice for themselves with their game balance - especially because the increased difficulties not only raise enemy stats, but also attack rates. I think there'd be a more general positive reaction to them if, even in the lower difficulties, the enemies still were aggressive, just with lower damage and hp.

Warriors Orochi 3 gets stupid hard even on easy as you progress (because the star system is much, much more prominent), but that's dependent on how long someone wants to play that game. Ken's Rage 1 was still difficult on Easy (fucking Raoh fight) because the enemies DID attack you and interrupted your shit.

One Piece was harder than most, but that's probably due to the not-as-broken coin system.

But you are right about the attack rates needing to be up. What I've always assumed is, to scale with the leveling up, they made the difficulties the way they are, and that poses a huge imaginary gate to those who get past 30 on Easy or even Normal. You are suppose to go to the next difficulty - that's where the best drops live, and the next area of challenge. It's kinda like an RPG!

Koei should definitely notify people of that AND do what you said. Or at least come with a primer.

Kinsei

Banned
Well I usually expect a decent reviewer to know a little about the game they reviewing.

Wasn't there an IGN review that complained about Football Manager not playing like FIFA? Never expect a reviewer to know anything about a game or genre before going into it.

I'm already playing it, I just finished the first level. I managed to miss the
golden skulltula
however...

I set the game on hard, but so far it's been a breeze. I'm really enjoying however, I can't wait to play more. In fact, I'm going back right now.

Kouriozan

Getting it tomorrow confirmed, if it was express delivery I would have got it today but oh well.
Day -1 is still good enough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ProJared - 7/10

Also, hearing that being able to buy levels for other characters up to the highest one that you have for a character like in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 makes me so happy. That alone will cut down the repetitiveness of having to start at level 1 and work your way up again.

Edit: Kotaku - Yes

& perhaps the OP could include the deal of getting the OoT & TP Ganondorf DLC costumes for registering the game on Club Nintendo (ends 10/23). & those costume sets for pre-ordering are only for Link & Zelda.

daffy

Banned
I'll wait for a price drop. Which will likely happen sometime in the next console generation if Nintendo is publishing

Top Bottom