• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I added other 32 gb of dd5 ram, please tell me the clocks are right!

luca_29_bg

I have a 7950x3d and a msi pro x670p-wifi motherboard, i had corsair vengeance 32 gb 6000 mhz till today, with the xmp enabled profile, it was showing 6000 in bios, now i added other 32 gb of the same type of ram, the speed reported it's dropped to 3600 in bios while cpu-z show me these speeds. Everything is fine, right ?
Bd3AtLe.png

Last edited:
I had 2X8GB 16GB of 4400 with CAS of 38 and replaced them with 2X16GB 32GB of 5600 40 CAS.
Did I just slow down my computer?

It defaulted to the slower 4400 but I went into bios and enabled the XMP (I have an intel board but AMD calls it something else)
I had to upgrade my BIOS to enable the XMP profile to get the 5600. but I now have the full speed of the ram.

luca_29_bg

I had 2X8GB 16GB of 4400 with CAS of 38 and replaced them with 2X16GB 32GB of 5600 40 CAS.
Did I just slow down my computer?

It defaulted to the slower 4400 but I went into bios and enabled the XMP (I have an intel board but AMD calls it something else)
I had to upgrade my BIOS to enable the XMP profile to get the 5600. but I now have the full speed of the ram.

i have penultimate bios for my motherboard and xmp profile works perfectly, i'm just not sure if the speed is correct!

i have penultimate bios for my motherboard and xmp profile works perfectly, i'm just not sure if the speed is correct!
If you were using only 2 sticks of ram I would say it's defaulting to the slowest speed of 3600
I don't know what 4 sticks of ram does with that CPU-Z dram frequency number.

winjer

Gold Member
Seems like the motherboard failed to train the memory and set is all back to base speed. So you are at 3600 MT/s.
Go back into the UEFI and enable EXPO.

BTW, are you using an updated bios?

As far as I can tell, that motherboard uses a daisy chain topology and that is bad for a 4X Dimms configuration. It's significantly harder to have high memory speeds with daisy chain topology.

Mr Moose

Double data rate.
Edit: Oh it's meant to be 6000? Are you sure it's all the same RAM? I think it drops to the lowest RAM speeds if they are different.

Last edited:
nope
youre at 3600mhz.

go back into the BIOS/UEFI and ensure the XMP/EXPO profile is still enabled.

your new RAM could be defective (trying running only the new RAM and see if it can hit 6000mhz), and/or your mobo just cant hit 6000mhz when using 4 sticks.

no, that's faster, plus you have more RAM.

though 5600mhz is a bit slow, and 40 is very high for 5600 (not good).
I wasn't sure but It was 90 USD for the 32GB set.
Seeing OP get 30 CAS has me wishing I went for the Corsair vengence 6000 sticks they were only 20 bucks more but my 13700F only supports up to 5600.
I was just happy to see the XMP show up after the BIOS update. It rebooted so many times during the Bios Update I thought it was screwed up. But when it finally finished I had the ability to pull up the XMP profile in the memory and get the 5600.

Seeing OP get 30 CAS has me wishing I went for the Corsair vengence 6000 sticks they were only 20 bucks more but my 13700F only supports up to 5600.
you can go higher than 5600.

i have a 12700k on a budget board and im running 6400 100% stable.
13xxx CPUs are supposed to have a better memory controllers than 12xxx CPUs (so theoretically you should be able to hit higher speeds than me... but mobo plays a big part).

you can set your RAM to the RAM's recommended XMP profile, then manually adjust the speed in small increments (100 or 200mhz) and do stability tests
im my case, i bought 7200mhz open-box RAM ($70 i think) and kept lowering the speed until it was stable.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Seems like the motherboard failed to train the memory and set is all back to base speed. So you are at 3600 MT/s.
Go back into the UEFI and enable EXPO.

BTW, are you using an updated bios?

As far as I can tell, that motherboard uses a daisy chain topology and that is bad for a 4X Dimms configuration. It's significantly harder to have high memory speeds with daisy chain topology.

This ram support xmp, not expo, and it's enabled (with context restore enabled to avoid training and have shorter boot time)! But if i enable xmp with context restore disabled my pc doesn't start! I discovered right now why...lookt at the pictures below....:(
nope
youre at 3600mhz.

go back into the BIOS/UEFI and ensure the XMP/EXPO profile is still enabled.

your new RAM could be defective (trying running only the new RAM and see if it can hit 6000mhz), and/or your mobo just cant hit 6000mhz when using 4 sticks.

i'm going crazy! If i enable xmp my pc doesn't start and i discovered now why! After hours of desperation! These are not properly identical ram modules! The timings are different! There is a solution ? I have to put manually the different timings for each module ? These are different revisions ? That produced by micron technology is newer ?

mf8uaFd.jpg

ZxnD4f2.jpg

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This ram support xmp, not expo, and it's enabled (with context restore enabled to avoid training and have shorter boot time)! But i enable xmp with context restore disabled my pc doesn't start! I discovered right now why...lookt at the pictures below....:(

i'm going crazy! If i enable xmp my pc doesn't start and i discovered now why! After hours of desperation! These are not properly identical ram modules! The timings are different! There is a solution ? I have to put manually the different timings for each module ? These are different revisions ? That produced by micron technology is newer ?

EfsYYrq.jpg

lnofyef.jpg

The solution is to put the timings of the slower kit, manually.
It will apply to both kits.
Also, you can try to place the slower kit into the B+D slots. And the faster memory on the A+C slots.
This is because on daisy chain motherboards, the B+D slots have better signal integrity than the A+C slots.

And instead of using CPUZ, use ZenTimings. It shows a lot more info.

luca_29_bg

The solution is to put the timings of the slower kit, manually.
It will apply to both kits.
Also, you can try to place the slower kit into the B+D slots. And the faster memory on the A+C slots.
This is because on daisy chain motherboards, the B+D slots have better signal integrity than the A+C slots.

And instead of using CPUZ, use ZenTimings. It shows a lot more info.

The faster memory, the hinyx modules, are already in the A+C slots since the beginning! There is a guide how to do this, i mean change the timings in the bios ? I saw an xmp profile editor if i remember correctly in the bios! Here the screens from zen timings (thank you!)
p0Ake8q.png

XS7BBIa.png

u3GBHIt.jpg

dcbKmmd.jpg

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

also notice the voltages are different between the two RAM sets.
I saw that, and the xmp profile show the correct timigs and voltage for each modules but if i enable it, my pc doesn't start, no signal to the tv! I have to put the timigs and voltages manually ? I need to find a guide to do this!

winjer

Gold Member
The faster memory, the hinyx modules, are already in the A+C slots since the beginning! There is a guide how to do this, i mean change the timings in the bios ? I saw an xmp profile editor if i remember correctly in the bios! Here the screens from zen timings (thank you!)
p0Ake8q.png

XS7BBIa.png

u3GBHIt.jpg

dcbKmmd.jpg

With only one kit installed on the PC, set XMP and take a screenshot with ZenTimings.
So we can see what it is setting up.
Then place the other kit. And take another screenshot.

BTW, if you place just one kit on the A+C slots, does the PC boot with XMP on?

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

With only one kit installed on the PC, set XMP and take a screenshot with ZenTimings.

of course it boot! I had 32 gigabyte (16 x2) till today, and the first module was put in the first slot ( the first slot starting from the right of the motherboard, the second slot was free, and the second module was put in the third slot starting from the right of the motherboard! Is this is your A+C slots, right ? If yes, it was working perfectly with xmp and 6000 mhz reported in bios! I have to go out now, when i will be back i will start taking the screenshots, of course i have tro try the slower modules i guess...! Thank you for your help!

the first module was put in the first slot ( the first slot starting from the right of the motherboard, the second slot was free, and the second module was put in the third slot starting from the right of the motherboard! Is this is your A+C slots, right ?
thats b+d.
b+d is the recommended config when using 2 sticks of RAM.

b+d = A2+B2

Aran4kn.png

luca_29_bg

So the slower sticks 32gb (16x2) works in A2+B2 slot like the other pair i have with xmp at 6000 mhz. Both pair of sticks don't let the pc boot if inserted in the A+C slots! With xmp disabled!

0n7Xuvt.png

the timings of the slower kit (the newer one) if i understood correctly

5qFZpXN.png

the xmp timings

2IqgNWd.png

the xmp timings of the older sticks (faster ?)
M51qoOr.png

the xmp settings
FkvG6gD.png

Mr Moose

So the slower sticks 32gb (16x2) works in A2+B2 slot like the other pair i have with xmp at 6000 mhz. Both pair of sticks don't let the pc boot if inserted in the A+C slots! With xmp disabled!

0n7Xuvt.png

the timings of the slower kit (the newer one) if i understood correctly

5qFZpXN.png

the xmp timings

2IqgNWd.png

the xmp timings of the older sticks (faster ?)
M51qoOr.png

the xmp settings
FkvG6gD.png
Is BIOS CSM legacy?

try putting the new sticks in b+d and the old sticks in a+c.

then enable XMP, 6000mhz.
ensure the voltage is 1.4v.
basically you need the use the XMP profile of the new RAM.

if you see 1.25v, that means the PC is using the XMP profile of the old RAM, and that wont work (your PC wont boot) because your new RAM isnt good enough for those settings.

edit: here's a pic:
ezeNThk.png

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

if you see 1.25v, that means the PC is using the XMP profile of the old RAM, and that wont work (your PC wont boot) because your new RAM isnt good enough for those settings.
Interesting, let me try! Thank you!

luca_29_bg

91tddGD.png

Timings of the new sticks with xmp enabled!

luca_29_bg

edit: here's a pic:
ezeNThk.png
ok i did it and it doesn't work, as you can see the profile xmp it's 1400, and i can boot with xmp enabled but the clocks are still 3600. I guess because i have memory context restore enabled (this avoid memory training again) but if i disable memory context restore (not auto, just disabled) my pc doesn't boot with all the sticks inserted. And xmp doesn't work with memory context restore enabled and all 4 sticks inserted in their slots! The clocks are still 3600!
6G507mV.png

Last edited:

gt86

Granted I'm using intel, 4 sticks isn't ideal for speed, to get to the advertised 6400 I had to sell my 2 sets of 32gb ram and buy 1 set of 64gb

StereoVsn

Ryzen currently hates 4 sticks. Not a joke, but a legitimate thing.
Well, shit, was about to get 32GB (2x16gb) more for my machine. It would be machine sticks for my current 2x16 by same company, same voltage and timings at 6000mhz.

I have been doing some AI training and having extra 32GB would be nice. Although I guess I could live with 5200mhz on my 7800x3D.

luca_29_bg

Well, shit, was about to get 32GB (2x16gb) more for my machine. It would be machine sticks for my current 2x16 by same company, same voltage and timings at 6000mhz.

I have been doing some AI training and having extra 32GB would be nice. Although I guess I could live with 5200mhz on my 7800x3D.

5200 would be nice for me as well if i can get there! :(

luca_29_bg

Yeah, seems like a mixed bag. Eh, will give it a shot. Worst comes to worst it will go back to Amazon and I will get 64GB.

I don't know if i have to return the new sticks or try to get higher speed :/
i haven't bought them on amazon so the return policy will be annoying as hell! :(

StereoVsn

I don't know if i have to return the new sticks or try to get higher speed :/
i haven't bought them on amazon so the return policy will be annoying as hell! :(
I would try to return and see if you can get same brand and timings/voltage. If you can’t… try to sell on eBay or whatever is the local marketplace if not in US.

luca_29_bg

Looks about right

4x16gb is bad, return it and buy 2x32gb teamgroup expert tcreate 6400mhz

Too expensive for me, i need 64 gb for photoshop mainly! So the speed is relative, but 3600 it's too low, if can get 4800 or 5200 it would be nice! I don't need extreme performance, and for games, i play at 60-120 maximum it depends on the game. So i would like to avoid to return them if i can get in someway higher speed! Less trouble for me, here in Italy the rma is annoying! :/

luca_29_bg

I could only get all 4 sticks to 4800mhz, but this is on a msi pro 690 board. I have read up enough though to not do 4 sticks at this time.
well i need this 64 gb and i can't buy 32x2 right now, so i have to deal with it! I'm sure with custom timings it can go higher!

Top Bottom