• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I added other 32 gb of dd5 ram, please tell me the clocks are right!

winjer

Gold Member
91tddGD.png

Timings of the new sticks with xmp enabled!

Your SoC voltage seems to ne too high. Try lowering it to 1.2v

One thing you can try is to turn on XMP, but then manually set the clock to 5600.
Make sure that the MCLK, UCLK and FCLK are still in sync.

luca_29_bg

Your SoC voltage seems to ne too high. Try lowering it to 1.2v

One thing you can try is to turn on XMP, but then manually set the clock to 5600.
Make sure that the MCLK, UCLK and FCLK are still in sync.

I don't know how to change these values! That's why i was looking for a guide to follow!

winjer

Gold Member
I don't know how to change these values! That's why i was looking for a guide to follow!

There are no guides for memory overclock.
You motherboard manual has all the settings listed. That can help you find them.

To change these settings it should be straightforward.
Enter the EUFI. Some motherboards have an option for advanced settings. Enable it.

Find XMP, and enable it. Find memory frequency then change to 5600.
Find FCLK and change it to 1866.
Reboot and check with Zentimmings if the MCLK, UCLK are both at 2800.

One thing you can try is to raise the ProcODT.
Lower improves signal integrity but higher improves memory training. Try something like 53 or 60.

luca_29_bg

There are no guides for memory overclock.
You motherboard manual has all the settings listed. That can help you find them.

To change these settings it should be straightforward.
Enter the EUFI. Some motherboards have an option for advanced settings. Enable it.

Find XMP, and enable it. Find memory frequency then change to 5600.
Find FCLK and change it to 1866.
Reboot and check with Zentimmings if the MCLK, UCLK are both at 2800.

One thing you can try is to raise the ProcODT.
Lower improves signal integrity but higher improves memory training. Try something like 53 or 60.
ok this is what it's happened! First of all i have memory context restore enabled, this disable memory training, if i have it disabled, pc doesn't start and i can't enter even in bios. with the four sticks inserted! No problem with two! With 5200 and xmp enabled windows doesn't start and ask for the recovery, i tried 4800 and it start but it's unstable, bsod, with xmp enabled, then i tried to change the fclk from auto to 2400 to be in sync with uclk and mclk (fclk is different according to zen timings) and my pc doesn't start at all, no bios, and led blinking in the motherboard about memory probem (i guess)i had to remove the battery and clear the cmos settings. Now the screen below is with xmp disabled, and just the dram frequency changed to 4800. If possible i don't want to deal with the removal of the battery again! Thanks! :D

Are you sure i have to try your settings and change the fclk from auto ? If wrong i have to remove the battery again!

1uJx6gX.png

don't pay attention to the xmp user profile, i disabled before rebooting from bios and left only the dram changed.
Pu5MyfS.png

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
ok this is what it's happened! First of all i have memory context restore enabled, this disable memory training, if i have it disabled, pc doesn't start and i can't enter even in bios. with the four sticks inserted! No problem with two! With 5200 and xmp enabled windows doesn't start and ask for the recovery, i tried 4800 and it start but it's unstable, bsod, with xmp enabled, then i tried to change the fclk from auto to 2400 to be in sync with uclk and mclk (fclk is different according to zen timings) and my pc doesn't start at all, no bios, and led blinking in the motherboard about memory probem (i guess)i had to remove the battery and clear the cmos settings. Now the screen below is with xmp disabled, and just the dram frequency changed to 4800. If possible i don't want to deal with the removal of the battery again! Thanks! :D

Are you sure i have to try your settings and change the fclk from auto ? If wrong i have to remove the battery again!

1uJx6gX.png

don't pay attention to the xmp user profile, i disabled before rebooting from bios and left only the dram changed.
Pu5MyfS.png

The FCLK on Zen4 can't go that high. A good OC is around 2000-2100 range. Some people mange 2166, but that is rare.
So leave it at 2000. Unless you want to do some heavy OC.

You don't need to remove the battery. Just d a clear CMOS.
Go to page 40 on your motherboard manual. The procedure is there.

luca_29_bg

The FCLK on Zen4 can't go that high. A good OC is around 2000-2100 range. Some people mange 2166, but that is rare.
So leave it at 2000. Unless you want to do some heavy OC.

You don't need to remove the battery. Just d a clear CMOS.
Go to page 40 on your motherboard manual. The procedure is there.

That's why my pc get stucked!

I have read the manual, and i don't have the jumper cap to clear the cmos, plus, i have a sound blaster z se and i should remove it to clear the cmos. the cmos thing it's under it, i had to remove it to put the battery in place, very annoying procedure. I don't overclock manually, but i have create genie msi enabled, this cause a very low overclock, kinda like increase the turbo boost of all the core, so it reach 5,8 i guess. That's all. Now let's see if windows it's stable for now!

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I have read the manual, and i don't have the jumper cap to clear the cmos, plus, i have a sound blaster z se and i should remove it to clear the cmos. the cmos thing it's under it, i had to remove it to put the battery in place, very annoying procedure. I don't overclock manually, but i have create genie msi enabled, this cause a very low overclock, kinda like increase the turbo boost of all the core, so it reach 5,8 i guess. That's all. Now let's see if windows it's stable for now!

You don't need a jumper to clear the CMOS. All it takes is something metal to short the 2 pins. A simple screw driver will do the trick.

Disable all other OC while doing memory testing. You might get instability from other things as a result.

luca_29_bg

You don't need a jumper to clear the CMOS. All it takes is something metal to short the 2 pins. A simple screw driver will do the trick.

Disable all other OC while doing memory testing. You might get instability from other things as a result.

Ok, that's just a button to click, i mean for the create genie, but for now let me see how 4800 is doing, because windows it's stable for now, with xmp disabled, the voltage are 1.100 for 4800, it was 1400 with xmp ( i guess the xmp profile used it's the default profile for 6000 mhz settings for the new sticks) and just the clock are set manually. I can't change the dram voltage however it's set to auto the bios don't let me change it! it's in the manual how to do it ?

aSKusfg.png

winjer

Gold Member
Ok, that's just a button to click, i mean for the create genie, but for now let me see how 4800 is doing, because windows it's stable for now, with xmp disabled, the voltage are 1.100 for 4800, it was 1400 with xmp ( i guess the xmp profile used it's the default profile for 6000 mhz settings for the new sticks) and just the clock are set manually. I can't change the dram voltage however it's set to auto the bios don't let me change it! it's in the manual how to do it ?

aSKusfg.png

You probably have to change DRAM Voltage from Auto to Manual. Then a sub menu with the values for voltage should appear.

I'm not sure, but the High Efficiency mode might need to be disabled.
Also, try the Memory Timing Preset. This will probably allow you to set lower timings automatically.

And search for an option called Power Down Mode in the Advanced Dram Configuration. Disable it.

Another thing you might want to do is try to disable Gear Down mode, and enable T2 Command Rate. Also in the Advanced Dram Configuration.

There is a lot of things to try. Only do one at a time. Because if something goes wrong, you know what is the setting causing the issue or that improved things.

luca_29_bg

You probably have to change DRAM Voltage from Auto to Manual. Then a sub menu with the values for voltage should appear.

I'm not sure, but the High Efficiency mode might need to be disabled.
Also, try the Memory Timing Preset. This will probably allow you to set lower timings automatically.

And search for an option called Power Down Mode in the Advanced Dram Configuration. Disable it.

Another thing you might want to do is try to disable Gear Down mode, and enable T2 Command Rate. Also in the Advanced Dram Configuration.

There is a lot of things to try. Only do one at a time. Because if something goes wrong, you know what is the setting causing the issue or that improved things.
i can't disable power mode, with context memory restore enabled (reduced boot time, avoided memory training at boot) it must be left enabled instead of auto otherwise the system was unstable, this was the case for my old 2 sticks at 6000 mhz with xmp enabled. I don't know what will happen with xmp disabled! Right now it's just the dram frequency changed to 4800. What i don't understand is that with xmp enaled that set 6000 mhz, the clock are still 3600, no changes at all, while if i set manually, then they change! This just for 4 sticks inserted, xmp works perfectly with 2, both new and old! Memory timing preset is a sub menu that appear if i enable high efficency mode, and it lets me choose timings for the dram, auto, relaxed, tight, tighest, balanced, etc!

winjer

Gold Member
i can't disable power mode, with context memory restore enabled (reduced boot time, avoided memory training at boot) it must be left enabled instead of auto otherwise the system was unstable, this was the case for my old 2 sticks at 6000 mhz with xmp enabled. I don't know what will happen with xmp disabled! Right now it's just the dram frequency changed to 4800. What i don't understand is that with xmp enaled that set 6000 mhz, the clock are still 3600, no changes at all, while if i set manually, then they change! This just for 4 sticks inserted, xmp works perfectly with 2, both new and old! Memory timing preset is a sub menu that appear if i enable high efficency mode, and it lets me choose timings for the dram, auto, relaxed, tight, tighest, balanced, etc!

One thing that you must keep in mind.
When installing new memory on any PC, one thing the system has to do is to train the memory.
This is to find the adequate settings for your memory and system configuration. This is very important and includes clock speed, timings, impedances, etc.

When the system fails to train the memory for a given configuration, it resets the memory to the safest settings, to ensure the system boots and the user can fix whatever is wrong. Meaning the lowest speed and highest timings, which is why your PC is at 3600 with bad timings.
It failed to train the memory.

Context memory restore is an option for the system to use the same settings from the latest successful training.
So while you are trying to get the memory to train properly, this setting MUST be enabled.
Only when your system is stable, can you disable Context memory restore.

luca_29_bg

One thing that you must keep in mind.
When installing new memory on any PC, one thing the system has to do is to train the memory.
This is to find the adequate settings for your memory and system configuration. This is very important and includes clock speed, timings, impedances, etc.

When the system fails to train the memory for a given configuration, it resets the memory to the safest settings, to ensure the system boots and the user can fix whatever is wrong. Meaning the lowest speed and highest timings, which is why your PC is at 3600 with bad timings.
It failed to train the memory.

Context memory restore is an option for the system to use the same settings from the latest successful training.
So while you are trying to get the memory to train properly, this setting MUST be enabled.
Only when your system is stable, can you disable Context memory restore.
ok but if, with all the 4 sticks inserted, i disable context memory restore and put power down on default setting so auto, with xmp enabled, my pc doesn't boot, it gets stucked with no signal to the tv and the led of the motherboard blinks about memory problem, i can't access to the bios as well. I have to remove two sticks to make it works again! I remember that when i powered on for the first time this pc, the xmp was disabled, and the memory speed it was 4800, and the boot it was very long! Then after looking on internet i discovered that i had to click on the xmp profile to enable the full speed, and after that, it was 6000, then i enabled context memory restore and power down, faster boot and no problem of any type! So do you think i should try disabling memory context restore, set power down to auto (default setting), disable xmp and try again with the 4 sticks inserted? If it doesn't work i have to remove two sticks to get access to the bios!

winjer

Gold Member
ok but if, with all the 4 sticks inserted, i disable context memory restore and put power down on default setting so auto, with xmp enabled, my pc doesn't boot, it gets stucked with no signal to the tv and the led of the motherboard blinks about memory problem, i can't access to the bios as well. I have to remove two sticks to make it works again! I remember that when i powered on for the first time this pc, the xmp was disabled, and the memory speed it was 4800, and the boot it was very long! Then after looking on internet i discovered that i had to click on the xmp profile to enable the full speed, and after that, it was 6000, then i enabled context memory restore and power down, faster boot and no problem of any type! So do you think i should try disabling memory context restore, set power down to auto (default setting), disable xmp and try again with the 4 sticks inserted? If it doesn't work i have to remove two sticks to get access to the bios!

Disable context memory. Then try the recommendations in this thread.
Since you have 4 dimms on a daisy chain motherboard, you will have to try to find the best settings that work.

Try different speeds.
Try GDM off with T2 on.
Try different impedances and voltages.

luca_29_bg

Disable context memory. Then try the recommendations in this thread.
Since you have 4 dimms on a daisy chain motherboard, you will have to try to find the best settings that work.

Try different speeds.
Try GDM off with T2 on.
Try different impedances and voltages.
I have already tried the reccomandations from this thread, like putting the new sticks in the slots occupied from the old sticks so xmp read these and apply the 1.400 v they need. I have to find gdm and t2 and how to unlock the voltages, however since today, with 4800, and all the rest automatic, no problem at all with my pc. It's already something! Tomorrow i will try disabling context memory ( and i guess power down as well) and let's see what it will happen! Thank you for your help! Il will report everything here, if i don't blow away with my pc first! :p

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I have already tried the reccomandations from this thread, like putting the new sticks in the slots occupied from the old sticks so xmp read these and apply the 1.400 v they need. I have to find gdm and t2 and how to unlock the voltages, however since today, with 4800, and all the rest automatic, no problem at all with my pc. It's already something! Tomorrow i will try disabling context memory ( and i guess power down as well) and let's see what it will happen! Thank you for your help! Il will report everything here, if i don't blow away with my pc! :p

If 4800 is the best it can push in terms of clocks, remember that there is always the possibility of pushing down timings.

luca_29_bg

If 4800 is the best it can push in terms of clocks, remember that there is always the possibility of pushing down timings.
i just tried 4800 because 5200 cause windows a bsod, but 5200 was with xmp profile enabled, so 1.400 voltage for dram, while 4800 it's without xmp enabled and it's working so far with 1.100v (all automatic, i changed only the frequency!), tomorrow i will first try the to train the ram, if it will work, and let's see what will happens! For the timings, I should try to use balanced or relaxed from the timings presets i think ?

The Stig

Seems like the motherboard failed to train the memory and set is all back to base speed. So you are at 3600 MT/s.
Go back into the UEFI and enable EXPO.

BTW, are you using an updated bios?

As far as I can tell, that motherboard uses a daisy chain topology and that is bad for a 4X Dimms configuration. It's significantly harder to have high memory speeds with daisy chain topology.
this thread and subsequently this post made me check my ram speed (I just built a new PC about a month ago)

I checked my settings and I was going at 3800.

thanks to this post I'm now going at 6000!

:)

luca_29_bg

So i just tried disabling memory context restore, power down, and enabling gear down, and the memory training gave me an amazing.....3600 mhz! Tadaaaaaaa! Surprise! XD

Both pair of sticks (B6 and E6) after memory context restore disabled, power down set to auto ( default settings) and gear down enabled i think ( i'm not sure if i left it enabled after windows booted! )

nUhzKRd.png

urFeSaK.png

So even with memory training same results! Then i tried to use 5200, without xmp, and windows doesn't start, i/o error. In high efficency memory mode i have in the sub menu tightest, tight, balance, and relaxed, i tried balance and still 3600 ( but i guess i have to try higher frequency and see if it's stable, right ?) then i tried relaxed, and i had to remove the battery otherwise no boot and led blinking about memory problem (i can't reach that damn jumper under the sound card!). Later today i can try 5200 with balance but i doubt it will works, and i found how to change the dram voltage, but it changes two values, this is ok i guess ?
435HWZo.jpg

Something tell me that 4800 it's maximum i will get! And i guess it's fine, i don't play very high frame rate games, and i don't play competitive games as well, not with my rx 590 (sigh!) or with the high end gpu i hope to buy this year or the next one, maximum 60 or 120, so do i need abolutely these 5,200 or 5,600 mhz ? I will use photoshop and some software for editing video, emulators, creating cartoon animated, deep fake, stuff like this! Let me know!

Last edited:
oh wow lots going on still.

when testing new RAM settings, it's best to run a RAM stress/test/diagnostic program to detect errors.
you want 0 errors. anything more than 0 is bad.
even if windows/games/etc appear stable, your RAM could still be producing an error here or there, leading to bad data.

cant remember the program i use... will check when i get home.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

oh wow lots going on still.

when testing new RAM settings, it's best to run a RAM stress/test/diagnostic program to detect errors.
you want 0 errors. anything more than 0 is bad.
even if windows/games/etc appear stable, your RAM could still be producing an error here or there, leading to bad data.

cant remember the program i use... will check when i get home.
Thank you, but i let run the windows test that you can launch from the window boot manager and no errors!

Top Bottom