• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i am 8-Bit Gallery Show version 2.006

p01ar

GameTrailers
Just a reminder to all of you LA area GAFers and those of you that will be in town during E3, the i am 8-bit art show opens next Tuesday (4/16) and runs through 5/19

For those of you that don't know what it is Gallery 1988 and Jon Gibson sponsor an art show inspired by videogames of the 80s every year (this is the second year).

Here's the official site: http://iam8bit.net/

The book from last year's show was just released, check it out on Amazon.

0811853195.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57223285_.jpg

Buy It

Some of the art that was shown last year:

Ledbetter_Joe.jpg

@!#?@!
by Joe Ledbetter

Swarr_Gabe_-_Mario_Block.jpg

Mario Block
by Gabe Swarr

Chueh_Luke_-_Dig_Dug.jpg

Dig Dug
by Luke Chueh

See you guys there

bluemax

Banned
Ah so it runs through the 19th of May, from another post I thought it was only a 2 day thing. Having it be a month long greatly increases the odds that I will go.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
p01ar said:
For those of you that don't know what it is Gallery 1998 and Jon Gibson sponsor an art show inspired by videogames of the 80s every year (this is the second year).

Ten years into the future..

Stryder

Good to hear :)
I just ordered a copy last night after seeing the feature on it on the latest 1up show. Can't wait to have a browse through it, looks like the perfect coffee table book for our (future) apartment. :lol

Argyle

I heard that they're going to have a custom Guitar Hero to play there with two new songs from bands covering 8-bit songs (don't remember what offhand, I think one of them was the Mega Man theme)...

ghibli99

I love the Tapper one, both for its nice art style, and for the fact that it's using real beer instead of the family-friendly root beer version.

tappedout_1.jpg

bluemax

Banned
Random but anyone here live around or go to USC and wanna carpool? I don't have a car but I'll pitch in for gas...

p01ar

GameTrailers
Shock to the world, I went last night and spent a bunch of money. I think it's fair to say that this years show was better than last years. It was great, most of the artists were there last night and I was able to talk to them. ghibli99 I love the style of Amanda Visell's work, I have a bunch fo her prints, check out her site. The Girls Productions

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I would hope so. Most of the last year's show could be seen on their site for purchase. No such luck this year. Thanks for pics! Really dig these:

andrew_wilson.jpg

martin_ontiveros.jpg

steve_purcell.jpg

Steve Purcell really has a thing for Sinistar doesn't he?

explodet

IGN has some more artwork pictures, I believe some of them are new.
Their photography is kind of lousy, though.

This one is my favorite:
i-am-8-bit-show-opens-20060419110537343.jpg

Flynn

Gibson is a pimp for putting this show together.

I'd like to see way more of these artists working on games.

Yeah, I will admit that there was something really special about last year's show which is sorta lost this time around (and the Hunter S. Thompson pic is the best example of this). But there's still some nice work all around.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. That is so cool. I love that one. I think I'll have to see about ordering last years book.

Oh, hey.. I didn't know I had an account at Amazon already. Whaddyaknow?

Ooh.. and it also gave me something to purchase with Lemony Snickets 2-disc DVD to qualify for free shipping. Yay! (Yeah, it'll take longer to arrive, but I save $5 on shipping. :lol )

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
explodet said:
IGN has some more artwork pictures, I believe some of them are new.
Their photography is kind of lousy, though.

This one is my favorite:
i-am-8-bit-show-opens-20060419110537343.jpg
mine too. GOD I want that in my home.

Top Bottom