• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

When you have limited time and no way to dodge the ghost it's usually more risky to use the monkey. Especially if you're already at a minute and still need to get the Eye and the exit. I chose the path that made the most sense at the time.

It also has a stopping point and may or may not be anywhere near 10K. Usually about $5-6K. It only poops out gold nuggets ($100 in the Mines) or tiny gems. ($200, $300 or $400 each in the Mines) It would take forever to get to $10,000. I'm pretty sure it's very rare that it would get anywhere near that much. Even with the rate of inflation it would still be more logical to trade it in at a shop if you need quick cash.
I did pre-face my earlier comment with "If you have the mobility to pull it off" to be fair, so I'm not saying you should always do it whilst kiting the ghost around. However, I believe the likes of B-Rex and Latedog said that the Monkey will always poop out more than 10k at minimum if you sacrifice an idol to the altar and that it varies between the numbers (give or take) that I wrote. So in the Mines and in the Mines alone, it's more profitable by a large margin under the right circumstances... for something situational.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Went into the Blackmarket on the pc daily today and they turned on me immediately for no apparent reason. Bummer.
I read this earlier and completely forgot about it. I only made it to the second shop before it was all over.

On the bright side, I had more money than you when I died. :p

Ugh the item juggling really kills my enjoyment of this game, feels like I spend way too much time just putting things down and picking things up and going back and forth, totally interrupts the flow of platforming. Wish wish wish I had a button to whip while holding an item and a pocket for a non-combat item. Seeing a damsel should be like "yay!" but instead it's like "i need this but it's a chore, sigh".

StAidan

Ugh, just had my first encounter with Olmec and was sooooo close to beating him. I bombed my way down to the lava (with a wider hole than I usually see in let's plays, even). But while trying to get Olmec aligned, a bat spawned nearby and flew into me (I had already been reduced to 1 health a few levels prior).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh, just had my first encounter with Olmec and was sooooo close to beating him. I bombed my way down to the lava (with a wider hole than I usually see in let's plays, even). But while trying to get Olmec aligned, a bat spawned nearby and flew into me (I had already been reduced to 1 health a few levels prior).
Shame. He only spawns enemies when he slams down on the ground to crush you. You must have been under his feet.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm sure a lot of you are sitting around thinking "I love Spelunky, but if only it weren't so easy"

Well do I have good news for you.

9412c09d116a31ad1364e29b33c03111.png

http://wrttn.in/cb327c

Frozlunky-Seed selection mod focused around more difficult level generation. It's evil in ways that Spelunky could only hope to be normally. On the plus side, making it harder also has the side effect of packing the terrain full of hidden items and gems. As a result score submission is disabled while you're using it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
PC daily was fairly easy today. Still had like 30 bombs left when I beat hell, kicking myself for not using more in City of Gold.

Finally got through Olmec, hell, and beat Yama on Thursday's playstation daily!
Ended up with over $500,000 so got that trophy too.

So now what? I'm missing vlad's amulet (ran out of bombs on Olmec that run), succubus, green acid bath and one more monster.

No clue what that last monster is, it might be big foot, but I think it is a jungle monster.

I've got old bitey, black knight, the alien queen, and the worm monsters. Anyone have a link to the wiki monster page?

Pikma

Banned
Ugh the item juggling really kills my enjoyment of this game, feels like I spend way too much time just putting things down and picking things up and going back and forth, totally interrupts the flow of platforming. Wish wish wish I had a button to whip while holding an item and a pocket for a non-combat item. Seeing a damsel should be like "yay!" but instead it's like "i need this but it's a chore, sigh".
Then choose what's worth carrying and what is not. Don't want to take the damsel with you till the exit, don't do it, it's not like you'll die or lose money for it.

StAidan

Shame. He only spawns enemies when he slams down on the ground to crush you. You must have been under his feet.

Yeah, I was running under him to try and move him a bit. My hole was such that he was barely landing on the leftmost edge of the trap, and a jump to the right would land him barely on the rightmost edge, and vice-versa.

But hey, now I know I can make it there, and surely I can do better next time!

Kerned

Banned
The number of PSN friends I have who are regularly doing the daily seems to be dwindling, but I am still running it every night before bed on my Vita. If anyone wants another friend for their leaderboards, send me a request! My PSN name is the same as my user name here. Just be sure to indicate you're from GAF.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Got three dark levels in the same seed on a speedlunky run

Died on the last one. In 4-3 naturally. The game flat out hates me

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
jetpack in the black market, though you've probably already played it by now :lol
Not yet. I'll use that information to my advantage.

And of course I'll film my inevitable failure.

(I assume you're talking about the Daily for March 16th, I already played the 15th which was the one where an orange frog probably spawned next to a Tiki trap which happened to be next to a shop exit and angered the shopkeepers 20-30 seconds into the level.)

lol

Got three dark levels in the same seed on a speedlunky run

Died on the last one. In 4-3 naturally. The game flat out hates me
Well then you weren't fast enough! (Dark levels will not appear if you finish the previous level in 20 seconds or less.)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well then you weren't fast enough! (Dark levels will not appear if you finish the previous level in 20 seconds or less.)

That's useful information. I've been trying to find the balance between speed and grabbing gear/damsels/safety. Maybe I should go back to 15-20 sec targeting levels then :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh my god. The Daily was amazing.

I didn't have enough money by the time I got to the Black Market so I took the whole thing out myself. It was glorious. I was up against the ghost at the end trying to take out the one last guy in the Ankh pit. Once he was gone it was mine!

I fucked up slightly on 3-1 when I fell too far to the exit without a parachute (I thought I was grabbing the wall. I had a jetpack) and lost my one health. Respawned. Dammit. Next level of course had the Moai statue. Soooo close. Ghosted a vault though. $74,400!

Made it through the Temple. Since I didn't have to bother with Anubis I just went straight to the exit. Liberally using bombs. I got a dark 4-3 though which made it hard. I had to bomb around the shop that was literally right in the path to the exit. Once the shopkeeper left I was free to play through. I failed in saving the dog, not that it ended up mattering. Snuck in the door while the shopkeeper was bouncing around elsewhere and off to Olmec I went!

With my jetpack on my back and my 33 bombs in hand I set off to the ceiling and got as much loot as possible. Then came down and lured him to the right and dug my hole on the left. I did it so well. Nice and perfect. All I needed was to get him into it...

But as I tried to steer him in and get on his head he knocked me out and ground me into the floor like a pulp.

Final score $328,075. New high score. Number 128th overall. Top of the NeoGAF leaderboards. (Of who I am friends with currently.) Had I not made that one mistake it'd have been $378,075. And had I not made that other mistake it might have been so much higher. C'est la vie.

There were absolutely no altars in the Ice Caves. WTF? And damn that long fall wasting my Ankh. Had I not died I am pretty sure I would have broken $400,000. I was planning on digging out every single piece of money I could get from that floor. There was a lot of gold. Oh well. There's always tomorrow's Daily, which goes up in just over 2 hours.

Time to export my video and upload it to YouTune.

Edit: Here's my Daily for today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkT4wfvk84

sikkinixx

Was just about to double dip and buy on Gog.com as part of their st patrick's day special..

Then I noticed no daily? Fuuuuuck that shit. Back to waiting for a sale and playing on PS3.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was just about to double dip and buy on Gog.com as part of their st patrick's day special..

Then I noticed no daily? Fuuuuuck that shit. Back to waiting for a sale and playing on PS3.
Yeah. There's no Daily on the GOG version because there's no centralized leaderboards. Wait for a Steam sale. And there's no Daily on the Xbox version because Microsoft is a bunch of assholes. (Or something. I dunno. I'd think if it were easy to put an update out they would have done it by now.)

StAidan

I finally defeated Olmec! Reached him for the second time and managed to take him down with a fistful of bombs.

That run was a formula for failure, too -- the seed was incredibly stingy on the bombs (only picked up 6 extras on my way to the end). No shotgun, no jetpack. No black market (only had 1 bomb when the eye started blinking and the entrance wasn't visible at all, so I didn't risk it). The temple was a harrowing adventure with more mummies and tiki traps than I'd ever seen in one place.

Final stats: Beaten on my 299th attempt at 25 hours played.

Anyway, that does it for the Made It and Ironman achievements. Time to start practicing for either Speedlunky or Hell.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Here's another neat trick you can do with a little practice...

ibiNQqGLcE5f8R.gif

Unfortunately it's completely useless as what you don't see in that image is that I have zero ropes. Don't worry though, I got my Kapala in the end... not that it ended up mattering.

I fucked up slightly on 3-1 when I fell too far to the exit without a parachute (I thought I was grabbing the wall. I had a jetpack) and lost my one health. Respawned. Dammit. Next level of course had the Moai statue. Soooo close. Ghosted a vault though. $74,400!
At least you can console yourself with the fact it was your own wrongdoing with said execution error. Here's how 3-1 on the 16th's daily transpired for me, after seeing that crate to the right:

ouzfpc.gif

atomsk

Party Pooper
Made a real dumb mistake in the PSN daily, survived a shotgun blast in 4-1, had 1 heath, and a dude I forgot about fell on my head in the City of Gold

I had like 80 bombs left, jetpack, everything I needed for an amazing run.

;_;

Kerned

Banned
Made a real dumb mistake in the PSN daily, survived a shotgun blast in 4-1, had 1 heath, and a dude I forgot about fell on my head in the City of Gold

I had like 80 bombs left, jetpack, everything I needed for an amazing run.

;_;

I blew a potentially amazing run on PSN last night as well. Died ghost mining on 3-1 because I got careless and the recoil from my plasma rifle knocked me into the ghost. Close to 100 bombs. I thought I might literally cry. It was such a stupid mistake and completely predictable and avoidable.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I blew a potentially amazing run on PSN last night as well. Died ghost mining on 3-1 because I got careless and the recoil from my plasma rifle knocked me into the ghost. Close to 100 bombs. I thought I might literally cry. It was such a stupid mistake and completely predictable and avoidable.

I saw the plasma rifle and I left that shit there.

I am nowhere near talented enough to use it properly

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Speedlunky woes, pt. 5

Died from falling into the lava after coming into contact with a poison bubble from a fucking snail AFTER successfully killing Olmec on my way to the exit

...kill... me...

I can't wait to play this game normally again. This is killing my enjoyment, lol

Meia

Finally, after 55 hours of play, I finally FINALLY beat Hell. I had gotten up to Hell about 10 times total up to this point, and gotten to Yama 4 times previous, but kept dieing as I had no earthly idea how the hell to kill him.

Seed had a jetpack, got up to 91 bombs by the time I left the black market(in a seed where most of the shopkeepers killed themselves on the bottom floor with a spike pit over vines. Had 60 by the time I got to Hell, and 40 by the time I got to Yama. Got rid of all the platforms with spikes on the right, stayed low, and threw bombs up to the left to kill him(had the mitt). Damn that felt good. :D

NotSelf

Speedlunky woes, pt. 5

Died from falling into the lava after coming into contact with a poison bubble from a fucking snail AFTER successfully killing Olmec on my way to the exit

...kill... me...

I can't wait to play this game normally again. This is killing my enjoyment, lol

I actually found speedlunky rather fun low scorer was the torturous one..for me anyway.

v1perz53

Of all the things in Spelunky that make me mad (usually at myself), nothing quite does it like loading up a level only to get instantly labelled a terrorist because a spitting snake spawned near the shopkeeper and apparently it is my fault.

I lost speedlunky achievement no less than 3 times because of that. Also getting a dark level after finishing the level before in 20 seconds. Thought that wasn't even possible.

On a more positive note, I cannot stop playing this game, it has me more addicted than I was to Binding of Issac. Perfect game for my vita.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
13249752945_1c3ae77e99_o.jpg

Aw yeah, finally!

100 % now, can go back to playin the dailies and enjoying life again

RedSwirl

Okay I have to ask, how important is it really to collect money in this game? Is there any reason you shouldn't just bolt to the exit in each level to avoid the ghost (other than finding the damsel and skull)?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
For daily scores, money is everything.

In a regular playthrough for me, money is important up until the black market. After robbing it and killing all shop keepers it kinda doesn't matter for the rest of the game apart from score of course

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Money is for high scores or if you don't want to rob a shop. Speed is for one achievement only. Otherwise it's about finishing the game and doing better than last time until you perfect your routine.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Made it to 3-3 in the PSN daily challenge. Had a shotgun, spring boots, spike boots, compass, spectacles, sticky bombs, even a fucking jetpack. I even found the black market for the first time. Was doing so good. Then a random spitting snake that I inadvertently set free from a pot knocked me off the edge. I flew back up...only to get knocked off again and die.

Fuck this game/I love this game.

atomsk

Party Pooper
ended up with half a mill after Yama in tonights PC daily. Pretty sure I missed ghosting in the ice world, but I can't remember seeing a treasure room.

Was saved in bombs crates at Olmec though, otherwise it could have gone real south.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh.

My god.

My lord in heaven.

I fucking made it! And I recorded it!

Nothing went wrong in this run. In fact it's like everything was coming up Millhouse. Sacrificed a heck of a lot of things to get my cape, Kapala and after my ritualistic death in the Ice Caves, 8 health rejuvenation. Only purchased the Ankh from the Black Market as well as some bombs. They had nothing else. The Black Market was a restless dead level which gave me a shotgun, but somehow there were literally no enemies or traps except two spike pits in a row.

Used more bombs than necessary trying to take Yama out mainly because I didn't have a mitt or shotgun so I missed a few shots. Thankfully I had plenty of bombs from Horse Face and Ox Face.

Some bats did try to take me out on my way to Yama's exit. I said hell no, I'm not going out like that! I'm not beating the master of Hell just to be killed by a bat on the way to collect my treasure! I had to lure them all the way to the bottom to take them out safely.

Lost a few rubies in a lava hole sadly but got a majority of them. Then after one last swim in the lava pool I left to collect my reward. But not before collecting the machete the game gave me instead of more bombs, which thankfully I didn't need.

With that I only have 5 more entries in my Journal and one more character to unlock. Vlad, a Devil and the Succubus as well as Vlad's Cape and the Shield. I can get the Shield with a bit of work from the Jungle shortcut but the rest is going to be super fun. I also need to find Golden Man. I can't believe I haven't seen him in the three times I've been to the City of Gold.

mannerbot

Oh.

My god.

My lord in heaven.

I fucking made it! And I recorded it!

Nothing went wrong in this run. In fact it's like everything was coming up Millhouse. Sacrificed a heck of a lot of things to get my cape, Kapala and after my ritualistic death in the Ice Caves, 8 health rejuvenation. Only purchased the Ankh from the Black Market as well as some bombs. They had nothing else. The Black Market was a restless dead level which gave me a shotgun, but somehow there were literally no enemies or traps except two spike pits in a row.

Used more bombs than necessary trying to take Yama out mainly because I didn't have a mitt or shotgun so I missed a few shots. Thankfully I had plenty of bombs from Horse Face and Ox Face.

Some bats did try to take me out on my way to Yama's exit. I said hell no, I'm not going out like that! I'm not beating the master of Hell just to be killed by a bat on the way to collect my treasure! I had to lure them all the way to the bottom to take them out safely.

Lost a few rubies in a lava hole sadly but got a majority of them. Then after one last swim in the lava pool I left to collect my reward. But not before collecting the machete the game gave me instead of more bombs, which thankfully I didn't need.

With that I only have 5 more entries in my Journal and one more character to unlock. Vlad, a Devil and the Succubus as well as Vlad's Cape and the Shield. I can get the Shield with a bit of work from the Jungle shortcut but the rest is going to be super fun. I also need to find Golden Man. I can't believe I haven't seen him in the three times I've been to the City of Gold.

It's also a really hard game. And the generation algorithm could screw you over at any moment. So it's really about luck rather than knowledge. Sure I know how to go to Hell. But it doesn't make me have the skill to get there. Just because I've never been out of the Jungle, doesn't mean I don't watch many many streams and LP's of the game. I pretty much know the ins and outs of the game, and I've never personally gotten to 90% of it.

I have been to the Worm once or twice. But never out of it. And even if I start in the Jungle, I still never make it passed world 3's castle. This game is hard. So hard that it'd be a shame for me to not want to look up all the cool stuff I'm missing.

Not that everyone is playing the same way. It's a hard game. But it's so full of stuff. So much stuff many people will never see.

Maybe one day. One day I might get to hell. Or the city of gold. Or even Olmec.

???
Congrats! And also you probably realize that you didn't actually know that much about the game back then. :p

I love this game but I hate this game.

Started the daily off to a really ominous beginning. Dropped to one heart on 1-1 and had a hard time recovering until 1-4, multiple near misses with the ghost, very few bombs, no items save for sticky paste. I was so very tempted to eat my bombs in defeat. But it's the daily so I must press on.

Mattock in hand, I made it to the jungle where things faired a little better. The black market treated me especially well with a jetpack, the ankh, and a fresh stock of bombs. Things were sailing along.

Then my palms started to sweat in the ice caves. I had lost my ankh when I got knocked onto some spikes by a monkey in 2-4 but I was determined to attempt Olmec. 3-1 raised the pucker factor by putting lots of saucers in narrow passages and a landmine sitting on top of Kali's altar. I made a few sacrifices but giving up the damsel for a pair of useless glasses hurt the most.

Then I made it to 3-2. Things were great, still had my mattock and I was regaining almost all of the cash I spent in the market in a single level. And that's when everything went so wrong. I got lazy, stupid, and complacent. I saw two landmines next to each other and decided it would be fun to set them off. Unfortunately I only triggered one and it sent the other one straight at the spot I stopped to watch the chaos. Pinged me right off the edge and into the abyss. My jaw hung open as I counted. 20 bombs. 16 ropes. 12 hearts off of my first ever invigoration that I got by trying out sacrificing a helper. All of it gone.

It hurts. Every hurt is a lesson.

Slambot6

Neo Member
Then I made it to 3-2. Things were great, still had my mattock and I was regaining almost all of the cash I spent in the market in a single level. And that's when everything went so wrong. I got lazy, stupid, and complacent. I saw two landmines next to each other and decided it would be fun to set them off. Unfortunately I only triggered one and it sent the other one straight at the spot I stopped to watch the chaos. Pinged me right off the edge and into the abyss. My jaw hung open as I counted. 20 bombs. 16 ropes. 12 hearts off of my first ever invigoration that I got by trying out sacrificing a helper. All of it gone.

It hurts. Every hurt is a lesson.

Spelunky demands attention at all times.

It's okay though. It sounds like you had a great recovery up until then. Impressive.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Other than making the ghost feel pretty, is there any use to the camera beyond the "always carry something" idea?

Oh and congrats The Real Abed. Someday I'll get there as well, and I'm sure your video will have helped.

Top Bottom