• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Other than making the ghost feel pretty, is there any use to the camera beyond the "always carry something" idea?
The camera is extremely useful in Hell.
Pretty much EVERYTHING in Hell dies from the flash.
Vampires hate the flash.

Oh and congrats The Real Abed. Someday I'll get there as well, and I'm sure your video will have helped.
Thanks!

Murrah

Banned
Nice Real Abed; been interested in seeing your progress through the game ever since I watched that video of yours from a couple weeks ago. Cool to see you make it, I'll probably skim through the video later

Now time to start preparing yourself for speedlunky and low scorer ;(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nice Real Abed; been interested in seeing your progress through the game ever since I watched that video of yours from a couple weeks ago. Cool to see you make it, I'll probably skim through the video later

Now time to start preparing yourself for speedlunky and low scorer ;(
I'm looking forward to Low Scorer. Speedlunky is a whole 'nother beast.

I need to figure out some other series' to do now that I've beaten Hell. One of these days I'll start a Lantern series where I get an early dark level and break a lantern down and carry it with me through the whole game or at least as far as possible. Things never seem to work out when I get one and I usually don't make it far. Plus it's hard enough just to get a dark level early and many times there aren't even any lanterns available. (Save for ones in shops which don't count since I'd rather not piss a shopkeep off when I can't carry a gun with me.)

I mean I carried the key to the Temple before. I can do a lantern.

Maybe also a No Items run where you don't pick up or use any items, or a low resources run where you can only use the ropes and bombs you get at the start. Maybe a no Damsels run?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
akCXaYf.jpg

Now that doesn't seem fair to me at all with no spiders in the stage.
Yes I realise it's perfectly fair randomiser

Attempts to time it just right so a bomb explodes at the correct moment and only drops the treasure down ended in spectacular Shop Keeper failure. Oh well, t'was fun trying.

ended up with half a mill after Yama in tonights PC daily. Pretty sure I missed ghosting in the ice world, but I can't remember seeing a treasure room.

Was saved in bombs crates at Olmec though, otherwise it could have gone real south.
That bomb box was a gift from the heavens during the 20th's daily. Then somehow I still managed to mess up making a clean Olmec Hole as well as screwing up dropping him down through teetering. Both of which I rarely fail at doing anymore after 350 hours of play. Profound sadness.

Other than making the ghost feel pretty, is there any use to the camera beyond the "always carry something" idea?
Stunning enemies and illuminating dark floors is pretty much the extent of it from my experiences.
Instakill undead and bats
It also kills the larvae from the Worm, much like bats and vampires. It's at its most useful for darkness stages though, since the aforementioned illumination per camera flash makes the entire screen visible for that split-second rather than your visibility being limited to the radius of your torch.

Haunted

A new challenger appears!

XBLA_Machete.png

Takes up your hands. Many enemies are one-hit kills anyway. Cutting through spiderwebs is useless. It doesn't even extend your range.

Still better than the spiderweb gun.

I agree.

Actually it's Vlad's Cape.
Hm, think about it this way: there's only a single item in the entire game that I could have at that point that would make me not pick up Vlad's Cape in 5-1.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
At least you can easily kill your first shop keeper with it

demidar

A new challenger appears!

XBLA_Machete.png

Takes up your hands. Many enemies are one-hit kills anyway. Cutting through spiderwebs is useless. It doesn't even extend your range.

Still better than the spiderweb gun.

Hm, think about it this way: there's only a single item in the entire game that I could have at that point that would make me not pick up Vlad's Cape in 5-1.

Spiderweb Gun can be used to jump horizontal gaps by using the web as another platform. Machete is totally useless, wish it replaced the whip like the Crysknife.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Eh. Vlad's Cape is worth less than the normal Cape AND the Jetpack. It doesn't let you reactivate it mid-fall like the Cape (Once it's activated and deactivated you're in freefall forever.) and the double-jump mechanic can easily throw you into spikes. Sure, if you don't have either a Cape or Jetpack at that point, grab it, but it's Hell. There's a hundred Capes all over the place from the hundreds of vampires that keep dying. So it's literally the most useless thing the game has. At least the web gun can help you cross large gaps or climb if used properly. But Vlad's Cape is like a no-name brand Cape that can't even do the same things.

Murrah

Banned
Yep, I'd agree that Vlad's Cape is more useless than the web gun since you're surrounded by limitless normal capes in hell anyway. And even if you weren't, I think I'd honestly rather have nothing than Vlad's cape. I've only tried it out once but I feel like it would get me into a lot of accidental trouble. So while in theory Vlad's could be more useful than the web gun, under the circumstances that you can get it it really isn't

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Catcher's mitt is the worst. Fuck it.
No way. It's extremely useful for certain bosses like Anubis or Yama. Mainly Yama. I was able to beat him without it but it was hard. All I had was a cape so I had to time my jumps out and toss a bomb and hope it hit. If you have a mitt it's only a matter of bombing up two blocks, place a rope and then either throw a few bombs at his head or use the shotgun. Bam. Done. The hands aren't even problems anymore once the head is gone.
Web gun is good to plant bombs on walls when you don't have sticky bombs.
That's true but it's very hard to not get a jar of glue at some point in the Mines. Still. Though if I'm going to pick something to take with me it won't be the web gun.
But it's a double-jump...
Which causes so much more pain than pleasure. Especially since it's only found in Hell which is pretty much completely dangerous.
Don't feel bad about it. At least you're not one of those crazies that actively avoid the climbing gloves.

Quite possibly my favourite item in the game.
Hell yes. Love the mitt. Even if I have a Jetpack it's so useful. It can cause problems sometimes though which is why people avoid it. But is rather have it than not.

Don't feel bad about it. At least you're not one of those crazies that actively avoid the climbing gloves.

Wow, people don't like the climbing gloves? I always make getting them a priority. My biggest issue is remembering whether I have them or not between runs.

As for useless items, I'm kind of gladly surprised that it's not just me who finds the knife and web gun mostly useless. I thought it was just me not knowing to use them properly (mostly because they're kind of rare outside shops and I never buy them, so... vicious circle).

theytookourjobz

After well over a hundred hours of all the versions, I think I'm finally starting to get bored with Spelunky. Got all the achievements on all the platforms. Broke a million. I played the daily religiously for a few months but I hit like two or three a week and I die early as fuck half the time because I just don't care anymore. Wish Binding of Isaac was coming out soon. Or better yet, Spelunky part deux.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow, people don't like the climbing gloves? I always make getting them a priority. My biggest issue is remembering whether I have them or not between runs.

As for useless items, I'm kind of gladly surprised that it's not just me who finds the knife and web gun mostly useless. I thought it was just me not knowing to use them properly (mostly because they're kind of rare outside shops and I never buy them, so... vicious circle).
If you've ever watched streamers and YouTubers like Bananasaurus Rex and BaerTaffy you'd see they always avoid the glove at all costs. And when they pick it up accidentally or even purposely they get comments yelling at them "WHY'D YOU PICK IT UP???" It does cause problems when you're trying to be fast, but some people really love it. I find it super useful even when I have a Jetpack.

And I don't find the Machete useless, but mainly cumbersome. I hate carrying a weapon unless it's a shotgun. It just makes juggling all the stuff you want to get done in a level really difficult. Weapon, Damsel, Idol, Key. Especially when you need to do all four. Oh, and the Machete is better than the whip in some ways because its hitbox is thicker whereas the whip is so tiny. At least in my experience.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If there was a way to use the Machete normally, but also throw it whenever I wanted to, that would make it absolutely amazing for my game play.

demidar

But it's a double-jump...

I actually never used it for long enough to notice that I can't reactivate the float mid-fall. That is, indeed, terrible.

:eek:

Love the mitt. Just need to remember you have it.

Vlad's Cape saved my arse on a Daily Challenge because I ran out of ropes and had no way of gaining good vertical distance.

I wish the Pitcher's Mitt also caught things flying at you like in Classic Spelunky. Pitcher's Mitt > Arrow Traps.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If there was a way to use the Machete normally, but also throw it whenever I wanted to, that would make it absolutely amazing for my game play.
Same for any held item that had a fire mechanism. (Weapons) Maybe hold down another button while pressing X. (The two bumpers are free, aren't they?) Would be good for emergencies and faster than dropping and then whipping.

Edit: Just beat Olmec again. As long as I have plenty of bombs I'm happy. Especially if I have enough to do some money grabbing after the "fight". And by fight I mean diggy diggy hole down to lava and trick the big giant face into taking a swim. People don't consider that cheesing the system, right? I mean it's obvious it's meant to be the way to beat him if you're rich enough with bombs. The normal battle always kills me. Whether it's Olmec himself or one of the enemies he creates. Even if I try the other cheesy way of standing in one place and moving back and forth to keep him in one spot as he drills himself into the lava himself. That method takes precision and plenty of ropes in case a bat or snake decides to come visit.

I've now beaten Olmec 5 times. Once I died before I got to the exit. I can't even remember what I died from. In turn he's killed me 5 times himself. And one Yama win.

I avoid the Climbing Gloves more often than not. They get me into trouble far too often, and it's even worse if you try to move fast or through some narrow passage with Tiki traps aplenty. I make an exception if there's a lack of ropes in a seed however, or if that's the only mobility-related item I've come across after many levels.

And I don't find the Machete useless, but mainly cumbersome. I hate carrying a weapon unless it's a shotgun. It just makes juggling all the stuff you want to get done in a level really difficult. Weapon, Damsel, Idol, Key. Especially when you need to do all four. Oh, and the Machete is better than the whip in some ways because its hitbox is thicker whereas the whip is so tiny. At least in my experience.

Agreed on both accounts. That's why the Krysknife is so useful, but getting it is kind of a bitch (the worm goes on and on). Throwing the machete would go a long way to make it better indeed.

Same for any held item that had a fire mechanism. (Weapons) Maybe hold down another button while pressing X. (The two bumpers are free, aren't they?) Would be good for emergencies and faster than dropping and then whipping.

The Vita doesn't actually have bumpers, and it's my platform of choice, so... :D

Edit: Just beat Olmec again. As long as I have plenty of bombs I'm happy. Especially if I have enough to do some money grabbing after the "fight". And by fight I mean diggy diggy hole down to lava and trick the big giant face into taking a swim. People don't consider that cheesing the system, right? I mean it's obvious it's meant to be the way to beat him if you're rich enough with bombs.

Not only that, the fact there are so many crates above him which often have enough bombs to kill him makes it clear that that's the intelligent way to beat him. I died to him more than ten times before I realized both things; I was indeed trying to kill him the way you used to kill Bowser in SMB3, which is incredibly hard with Olmec. After I learned of both of those, I have well over a 60-70% success rate against him.

My very last game where I reached him ended in a ridiculous way. He fell into the lava, and I was in a recess in the pit he had fell into... and I hadn't saved a rope to get back up, and had no jetpack nor climbing gloves. :p

The normal battle always kills me. Whether it's Olmec himself or one of the enemies he creates. Even if I try the other cheesy way of standing in one place and moving back and forth to keep him in one spot as he drills himself into the lava himself. That method takes precision and plenty of ropes in case a bat or snake decides to come visit.

I've now beaten Olmec 5 times. Once I died before I got to the exit. I can't even remember what I died from. In turn he's killed me 5 times himself. And one Yama win.

Wow, that's very impressive that you've killed Yama with so few Olmec runs. I've killed and been killed by Olmec a lot more times but haven't even reached the City of Gold yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Agreed on both accounts. That's why the Krysknife is so useful, but getting it is kind of a bitch (the worm goes on and on). Throwing the machete would go a long way to make it better indeed.
As nice as the Krysknife is, it's a replacement for the whip and you can no longer whip things you want to keep alive. So it's a trade-off.

The Vita doesn't actually have bumpers, and it's my platform of choice, so... :D
Does it have any extra unused buttons to spare? I am guessing no. Maybe they could use the LT since it's only used when you need to use a door or talk to someone. Though there would be that one time you want to throw a gun and are standing in front of the door though that would be silly as you'd just exit and end up not getting hurt anyway, but inconvenient if you meant to keep playing the level. I've never counted the number of buttons on a Vita as I don't have one. (I wish they could put Spelunky on the original PSP-1000. Then maybe I'd get some use out of mine.)

Not only that, the fact there are so many crates above him which often have enough bombs to kill him makes it clear that that's the intelligent way to beat him. I died to him more than ten times before I realized both things; I was indeed trying to kill him the way you used to kill Bowser in SMB3, which is incredibly hard with Olmec. After I learned of both of those, I have well over a 60-70% success rate against him.
It's a good thing Olmec doesn't decide to troll you by putting traps up there. Imagine Tiki traps, Arrow traps and cavemen all wandering around up there.

Also, the difference with Bowser is he didn't make Goombas and Koopa Troopas appear when he stomped down.

I just got to 4-2 with 13 hearts and ended up dying by the end of the level to a shopkeeper in front of the exit after I lost my shotgun and had few bombs. But hey, at least I got my win for tonight. Also I fucked up the Daily as usual. I've only ever won on a Daily once.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

*Raised hand*

I'll jump over them when robbing the black market. They greatly hinder mobility for me, and have got me killed much more often than saving me/being useful

Murrah

Banned
I really like the climbing gloves in just normal play, but in speed running and whatnot yeah they hinder more than help

I don't really like having the jetpack with no gloves since I'm really paranoid about running out of fuel and not being able to grab a wall to stop the fall, though having said that after 130 hours of playing I don't think I've ever actually run out of fuel mid-flight anyway

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Had my first good daily run in weeks today, killed Yama easily.

Then died to a spiky ball when I went to bomb out the rubies. Damn.

Man the Worm is a long level. But I finally got the crysknife out! Bad news is the Jungle then dropped every enemy at once on my head and my 8 or so hearts disappeared so fast. Damn bees.

Man the Worm is a long level. But I finally got the crysknife out! Bad news is the Jungle then dropped every enemy at once on my head and my 8 or so hearts disappeared so fast. Damn bees.
Trekking through the Worm to get the Crysknife can be worth all the anguish if you have the Kapala though. You can get so much more blood out of cavemen, yeti's etc. after you kill them. Jump on them with or without Spike Shoes, collect their blood, then Crysknife them for more blood. Becomes very easy to recover any health (and then some) you may have lost during your visit inside the Worm.

I need to cover my monitor in notes that say 'Must not play with explosives.' Royal jelly, invigoration again, 25 health. I knocked down a sentry turret and thought it would be neat to fly down next to it and shoot it with my shotgun. Knocked me down to 12 health and I fell into the abyss.

Must not play with explosives :(

cakely

This may not be the appropriate place to ask this, but ... I have the Steam and Playstation 3 versions of Spelunky. I prefer the Playstation 3 version, because the d-pad on the PS3 is much nicer than the Xbox 360 controller I use on the Steam version.

Anyway, the High Score listing on the PS3 version is always empty for me. If I change the filter to "all" I can see the top world score, but I'm not on there at all. Is this normal? Is there some sort of minimum score I need to reach? I'm a newbie so I think my high score is 50k. The Daily challenge leaderboards seem to work fine, btw.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This may not be the appropriate place to ask this, but ... I have the Steam and Playstation 3 versions of Spelunky. I prefer the Playstation 3 version, because the d-pad on the PS3 is much nicer than the Xbox 360 controller I use on the Steam version.

Anyway, the High Score listing on the PS3 version is always empty for me. If I change the filter to "all" I can see the top world score, but I'm not on there at all. Is this normal? Is there some sort of minimum score I need to reach? I'm a newbie so I think my high score is 50k. The Daily challenge leaderboards seem to work fine, btw.

You know you can use DS3 on pc too btw?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well. Another completely botched Daily Challenge ended with me becoming a meal for a sentient plant again. I'm surprised he liked the taste of gold.

That's right. Gold. Because I finally unlocked Golden Man and got the entire family. All 20 characters. Booyah.

I had a pretty good run before my Daily. Took a few tries but got it eventually. Found a Jetpack. Purchased everything legit from the shopkeepers and Black Market. Everything was going fine until I got to the Temple and realized I hadn't gotten any glue at all. No glue. Terrified I went after Anubis. I was able to convince him to kill himself on a Tiki Trap after bombing him out of his pit prison. It was touch and go but he kept at it and eventually died from impalement. Got his scepter! Bang!

Into the City of Gold I went. One thing on my mind and it wasn't the one I should have had. No, the one thing on my mind was finding... there it is. The last coffin! Unlocked the Golden Man. Now don't do anything stupid. I put a bomb down to break through the floor because the level generated with no way through and for a second was convinced he was going to pick it up like they love to do. But fortunately he left it alone. Did a little convenient vomit collecting to fill my hearts before I left because a Mummy was locked in the best position right above the door. Bam, 23 hearts. We're set now.

Made my way to the exit and into Olmec's lair. Flew up to the ceiling and gathered the treasure and set out to find the Hell door... Hell door.. wait.. where's the.. OH SHIT. I forgot to get the Book of the Dead. I was so preoccupied with Golden Man that I forgot the reason I was actually there in the first place. Sure the Anubis fight would have been harder and probably would have ended up killing me but oh well. I made the best of it and just beat Olmec. Dug him a hole to jump into and let him do his thing.

Not a bad run. Not a great one. But it worked. I've now beaten Olmec 6 times and Yama once.

Upon rewatch there was indeed at least one time I could have gotten the glue, and I would have too if I hadn't woken up the spider and just decided to leave it. Funny how one small thing can change the entire outcome. It was literally the only time the game gave me a chance to get glue too. I accidentally walked under it instead of throwing a bomb up at him. Oh well. Things still turned out well. I'll get to Hell again soon I'm sure of it.

At least I got my Golden Man now.

Top Bottom