• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Pro hud looks great on Vita, I was worried it might be too small to read but is fine. Run as default option is a great for me as my R button seems to be a bit unreliable, and I normally never let go of it.

I died on the ice cave, BUT THEN I PRESSED L TOO SOON WHICH MEANT THE GAME DIDN'T GIVE ME THE FUCKING HOOD.

Agh that sucks, I was never sure if that was possible so I've always waited for it to appear. I'll keep doing that then.

My worst repeated mistake is opening a black market that's near the normal exit, and then finishing the level through the wrong one,same for city of gold entrance. Very annoying but all my fault for forgetting.

Duster

Trying to beat the game the hardaway I've done a lot of stupid things
BUT THEN I PRESSED L TOO SOON WHICH MEANT THE GAME DIDN'T GIVE ME THE FUCKING HOOD.

I might have still thrown it away in the temple but still, I've taken a break from this game as a result for a while. mad does not come close to describing it.

great I'm top of the page, now everyone will point and laugh :(

Are you me?
I've been doing the same thing lately, the most notable issues were not realising the door to hell moves, buying a jetpack and forgetting to equip it and just like you I pressed L too quickly and missed the bloody headjet.
However I didn't take a break, in fact I made it to hell the very next go... but I got killed straight away and haven't made it back since (it's also the only time in history I've been mad by the lack of a trophy to mark the milestone).

While I'm here I may as well ask is there an easy way to drop bombs to the area below when you have paste? That would make things a whole lot easier.

While I'm here I may as well ask is there an easy way to drop bombs to the area below when you have paste? That would make things a whole lot easier.

Not as far as I know, but they will drop straight down ladders if you place them on the top ledge. Useful for stealing the Ankh from the black market.

PensOwl

Banned
You can place the bomb next to you then pick it up and hang over the ledge and drop it. If you are on a platform directly above where you want to drop the bomb, you can place two bombs, the first will explode and destroy the platform and the second bomb should drop straight down.

You can place the bomb next to you then pick it up and hang over the ledge and drop it. If you are on a platform directly above where you want to drop the bomb, you can place two bombs, the first will explode and destroy the platform and the second bomb should drop straight down.

Ooh, useful. thanks!

Vashetti

Banned
Just a heads up, the 1.03 patch has just been released for Vita (probably PS3 too). Pro HUD is now available amongst other changes.

uB2FviV.jpg

v1perz53

yes, yes, pro hud is all well and good, but can we please discuss the new SLOTH DAMSEL?

Pro hud, sloth damsel, but the real winner here is my R button. For the past probably 50 hours of playing Spelunky I have held down that button 90% of the time, and now I don't have to!

Ok so since the 1.03 update the ps3 version has frozen on me twice, both times when i angered shop keepers in the black market. I've never had a freeze before in over 800 games...

EDIT: I tried a third time and this time it didnt freeze when i angered them, hopefully just a coincidence.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doing so well. Have a jetpack. Finally get to the temple. On my way to a Hell run. So many bombs.

Enter the temple. Dark. Anubis immediately to the left. Throw two bombs and fly right.

Flies.

Dead.

Fuck you.

Kerned

Banned
Anyone got the actual patch notes?

Features added:
- PRO HUD option
- Daily challenge icon on screen for streamers
- 'Invert run' option to run by default
- Sloth damsel (to be unlocked)
- Revised sounds and textures

Bugs fixed:
- Now your lowest daily score gets updated only if your current score is higher
- Many other minor gameplay and sound fixes and optimizations

Duster

Thanks for the sticky bomb dropping advice.

I'm glad the new patch lets you run by default but damn does it feel strange, I only had a quick go to test it but I've already made the mistake of holding R when things got tricky which didn't exactly help, I think this is going to take a little getting used to.

Vashetti

Banned
Features added:
- PRO HUD option
- Daily challenge icon on screen for streamers
- 'Invert run' option to run by default
- Sloth damsel (to be unlocked)
- Revised sounds and textures

Bugs fixed:
- Now your lowest daily score gets updated only if your current score is higher
- Many other minor gameplay and sound fixes and optimizations

Oh really? How noticeable is this?

The patch has definitely caused some issues on ps3, i've had 4 freezes now, i looked around online and a few others are having the same trouble. The black market seems to be where most freezes are occurring, this sucks.

RoeBear

Ok so since the 1.03 update the ps3 version has frozen on me twice, both times when i angered shop keepers in the black market. I've never had a freeze before in over 800 games...

EDIT: I tried a third time and this time it didnt freeze when i angered them, hopefully just a coincidence.

Just froze the PS3 the exact same way. Threw a bomb and the game instantly froze. I usually play on the Vita, so it might be PS version exclusive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the longest time I thought it was just a rumor. A hoax. It was on the Wiki. So it must be true. But I couldn't prove it. Because the opportunity never came up.

Finally, today it did...

iblvKsOppeEzrL.gif

$19,800. Imagine if I could have ghosted it.

In order to pull it off, you need a few things to all happen at once.
You need a vault level. The vault needs to spawn with a push block on one of the 4 middle side blocks. You need a mattock, or you need very precise positioning of a bomb. And like a present in a shop occurring on a level with an altar, it's really rare. Sometimes a block will spawn on a corner. Sometimes on the bottom edge. But unless it's in the middle side area it won't work. As soon as a brick block belonging to the vault is destroyed, it's all over. Same as destroying anything within a shop area. I've tested it with a bottom block but all it did was piss him off. I guess he hated being disturbed in his pacing.

Y0j1mb0

For the longest time I thought it was just a rumor. A hoax. It was on the Wiki. So it must be true. But I couldn't prove it. Because the opportunity never came up.

Finally, today it did...

iblvKsOppeEzrL.gif

$19,800. Imagine if I could have ghosted it.

In order to pull it off, you need a few things to all happen at once.
You need a vault level. The vault needs to spawn with a push block on one of the 4 middle side blocks. You need a mattock, or you need very precise positioning of a bomb. And like a present in a shop occurring on a level with an altar, it's really rare. Sometimes a block will spawn on a corner. Sometimes on the bottom edge. But unless it's in the middle side area it won't work. As soon as a brick block belonging to the vault is destroyed, it's all over. Same as destroying anything within a shop area. I've tested it with a bottom block but all it did was piss him off. I guess he hated being disturbed in his pacing.

This is awesome. Will definitely try this out.

The caves, my only weakness. Lucked out and found a spaceship but I had some trouble digging out the jetpack and I ran into a shopkeeper on my way to grab it. He threw me and I pinged around the room and died, and somehow he threw me again and I bounced off some mines and left my corpse on Kali's altar.

Swindling the black market is still my favorite thing and I usually get far enough to at least accomplish that much.

Devs are aware of the new Vita/PS3 issues and working on a patch.

Glad to hear it. Was just going to post that I had same issues as others, two freezes on Black Market Dailies basically as soon as shop keepers aggro'ed (with 0 freezes on my 1400 deaths prior to the update). Hope it comes soon along with the PS4 version considering I now have no Spelunky supplier...

v1perz53

The caves, my only weakness. Lucked out and found a spaceship but I had some trouble digging out the jetpack and I ran into a shopkeeper on my way to grab it. He threw me and I pinged around the room and died, and somehow he threw me again and I bounced off some mines and left my corpse on Kali's altar.

Swindling the black market is still my favorite thing and I usually get far enough to at least accomplish that much.

It's actually pretty funny, to me the Ice Caves are the easiest level. Probably because in order for me to make it to the caves, I generally need a good combination of items already, so I feel nice and powerful in the caves. That and the fact that there is no floor means any angry shopkeepers usually just suicide. But I totally agree, once you get good at robbing the black market nothing feels better than walking out of there with 50 bombs a jetpack and a shotgun.

Oddly enough, I think the mines are the hardest level for me. Bats and ceiling spiders and arrow traps are among my least favorite things, and unless I get lucky I have very limited resources with which to handle situations. Again, kind of funny is that I die more often in the mines than in hell. In fact, every time I've made it to hell I've gotten to Yama except once. Spelunky likes to troll me.

i've been playing for the first time this last 2 weeks. man this game can be rough. furthest i've gotten was to the first level of the temple, killed anubis with sticky bombs and then proceeded to hop over a lava pit when a fire ball bounced out and i flopped in.

also been pretty successful at getting to the black market and getting the ankh, but then by the time i get my wits about me the ghost arrives and i panic or a boomerang guy i didn't see by the exit nails me. i once got the ankh to the first level of the ice caves but got clipped and wasted it before i could attain the headjet.

my goals right now are to try and make it to the city of gold and possibly defeat olmec. which right now seems daunting.

game is great though, i've never died so rapidly in a game with nothing to show for it but still kept me coming right back.

Good run i'm currently trying to speed run with a teleporter the farthest I ever get though is the jungle.

Teleporter is a cruel beast to master. I've gotten the hang of using it in terms of judging how many blocks it randomly sends you in whatever direction you're moving in, but too many times I just find myself 'porting straight above some spikes & impaling myself.

v1perz53

Teleporter is a cruel beast to master. I've gotten the hang of using it in terms of judging how many blocks it randomly sends you in whatever direction you're moving in, but too many times I just find myself 'porting straight above some spikes & impaling myself.

My problem with the teleporter is you can't use it on the ground, so half the time I want to go straight forward with it I do a little hop, press forward and use it, and it thinks I'm one block higher than I am and kills me in a wall. I never really use it though, my fastest speed run was with a mattock and I definitely don't use it for hell runs. It was fun at first but now I pretty much like any held item more (except for web gun, but I hardly count that as an item at all).

Jintor

this game's too goddamn good

jetpack is king. fuck everything else. fuck you climbing glove, fuck you spring boots. jetpack jetpack jetpack.

v1perz53

this game's too goddamn good

jetpack is king. fuck everything else. fuck you climbing glove, fuck you spring boots. jetpack jetpack jetpack.

You're looking at it all wrong, the Jetpack is great, but with climbing gloves as well it becomes GOAT! That way you can grab any wall or vertical surface to recharge your jetpack. (I definitely didn't die on olmec or anything because my jetpack ran out against one of the side walls or anything and am still bitter about it...)

Kerned

Banned
You're looking at it all wrong, the Jetpack is great, but with climbing gloves as well it becomes GOAT! That way you can grab any wall or vertical surface to recharge your jetpack. (I definitely didn't die on olmec or anything because my jetpack ran out against one of the side walls or anything and am still bitter about it...)

Can you recharge on a wall? I thought you had to be standing on the ground. (I could be wrong, I often am.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh my god guys, on today's daily challenge (PC) on 1-3, there is a jetpack in the wall near the top, and a mattock in one of the crates. AHHH
AND the VAULT is on the next level with an easy to access push block! (See my above GIF, which I post again below) Fucking rob that vault, guys! He won't even be mad!

Oh, BTW, in 3-1
you WILL have a destroyed altar. For me it was only half which helped a bit.
It is unavoidable.
It happens immediately. So make sure you are sacrificing everything you can if you even want a Kapala.

I was doing pretty well in today's Daily thanks to that jetpack. I was about to pass it by and decided to look up to check if there was any reason to go back up. Fuck. Yes. Jetpack. Hell yes.

Then I got to 3-2 and died to a mine when a Yeti, who was just having fun on a trampoline activated his throw mechanism when I jumped on him instead of me hurting him. Fuck you! He threw me next to a mine and I lost my Ankh. :(

So I decided to go to the Mothership. While trying to take out the Lords I died to a combination move by the Queen and Lord when I moved out of the way of her telekinesis and got hit by his brain wave. Daaamn. It was so sad. So while my Leaderboard (RogueCarrot) will say 3-3, it was technically 3-5 since the Mothership subtracts a level and makes you do one a second time. I am currently #10 on the Leaderboard and above Notself and Hollow who died on 1-2 and 2-2 respectively. Suck it, guys! For now I'm riding high with my $290,000 score. lol

Just a reminder: You get to do THIS today... (On 1-4)

after 543 deaths.

the Giant Golden Head is dead. !!!!

I'M THE MAN!!
Good! Now go to Hell!

v1perz53

Can you recharge on a wall? I thought you had to be standing on the ground. (I could be wrong, I often am.)

I'm 97% sure you can recharge on a wall. If you can't actually, then I have been getting incredibly lucky somehow the past 500+ deaths as I now play assuming that you can. But I as well have been known to be wrong a lot, so grain of salt and whatnot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm 97% sure you can recharge on a wall. If you can't actually, then I have been getting incredibly lucky somehow the past 500+ deaths as I now play assuming that you can. But I as well have been known to be wrong a lot, so grain of salt and whatnot.
You can. It is a thing you can do. It recharges as long as you stop moving. Whether you're on the ground, on a rope/ladder/vine, on a wall or on a ledge.

Kerned

Banned

You can. It is a thing you can do. It recharges as long as you stop moving. Whether you're on the ground, on a rope/ladder/vine, on a wall or on a ledge.

Good enough confirmation for me. I have always operated under the assumption that you needed to be on solid ground, so knowing I was mistaken is definitely good knowledge to have.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Good enough confirmation for me. I have always operated under the assumption that you needed to be on solid ground, so knowing I was mistaken is definitely good knowledge to have.
Next time you get a Jetpack, test it out yourself. Make sure we're not just mistaken. But I'm pretty sure we're not.

You... don't know much about the game, do you? Oh.. you have so much to learn, young padawan.

Kerned

Banned
Next time you get a Jetpack, test it out yourself. Make sure we're not just mistaken. But I'm pretty sure we're not.

Definitely. The next time I have a jetpack and climbing gloves in the caves I will test it out. The walls at the edges of the map are the perfect proving grounds for this experiment.

v1perz53

You... don't know much about the game, do you? Oh.. you have so much to learn, young padawan.

Sometimes I wish this game was on an emulator with save states. So many things I want to test out, but I am usually unwilling to risk a good run!

WHAT? there is a New Level? how do i get in there?

Oh boy, once you kill Olmec is where the fun begins! God finishing Hell is so satisfying, I've never had a more satisfying moment in any other game ever.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

THESE ARE SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW OUTRIGHT! THEY ARE SEPARATED BY STEP:

Mines:
Use the key on the chest in the mines

Jungle:
Find the Black Market in the jungle
Purchase the item from the bottom right shop

Ice Caves:
Kill yourself when you see a giant face in the Ice Caves (Note: MAKE SURE YOU WAIT A SECOND OR TWO BEFORE ENTERING THE DOOR)

Temple:
Kill the flying Jackal Anubis (With the purple rays) in the Temple and carry his golden scepter to the second Temple level
Enter the golden door
Kill the second Anubis in the center of the next level and take the book with the face

Olmec:
While fighting Olmec find out where the book talks the fastest and kill Olmec there
Enter the door above the lava

Enjoy.

Yes the jetpack definitely recharges when you're climbing. Unfortunately one time I was hopping up the Ice cave wall with my jetpack thinking I had the gloves, when I didn't...

Kerned

Banned

I would guess that there are several areas you haven't been to. Getting to Hell is a process.
Get the ankh from the Black Market, then die in the caves in a level with a Moai head to et resurrected and get the hedjet, then kill Anubis in 4-1 to get the scepter which you use in 4-2 to open the door to the City of Gold, where you will find the Book of the Dead, which you will use to determine the location of the secret door under Olmec's Lair, which you access by riding Olmec down into the lava where the door is.

Simple. :)

edit: The Real Abed beat me to it.

Kerned

Banned
For the jungle step, you can substitute
purchase
with
obtain
. Gone are my pacifist days, nowadays when I enter
the black market
, everything must die!

Yeah, "obtain" for sure. Robbing the
Black Market
makes everything easier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the jungle step, you can substitute
purchase
with
obtain
. Gone are my pacifist days, nowadays when I enter
the black market
, everything must die!
Yes. Me too. If I have a chance, the shopkeepers are dead. It adds a new layer of challenge since they're so damn unpredictable. (Though they can be manipulated in a way)

I didn't mention it because Ostinatto seems new so I don't know how good at killing shopkeepers he is yet. Pretty much 100% of the time if I haven't pissed them off by the Black Market, that's where I do it. I do it the same way every time. Place a bomb on the ledge of the entrance island. Place one below to take out part of the platform under the door. Then last put one next to the first wood block to the first shop and jump to the other side of the door island lined up with or right below the level the shop is on. Once it goes off, they all come running. If you're lucky the top two will leave their shops and let you get at the goods. Then you deal with it from there. If you're lucky there's a bomb box and glue (If you don't have enough yet) and can take out the rest from the top down. Also remember to let them kill each other when possible. It makes it easier. The hardest one is usually the ones in the Ankh shop. For me it usually takes a few bombs and shotgun shells to get him.

Of course if I have a shotgun before entering, it's easier. Though I don't use it that way if there's a kissing booth or hired help shop on the top left. They end up taking the bullet and I'm dead before I can reload.

Ostinatto, you're gonna have a Hell of a time when you see what you're in for.

Top Bottom