• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

Ostinatto

THESE ARE SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW OUTRIGHT! THEY ARE SEPARATED BY STEP:

Mines:
Use the key on the chest in the mines

Jungle:
Find the Black Market in the jungle
Purchase the item from the bottom right shop

Ice Caves:
Kill yourself when you see a giant face in the Ice Caves (Note: MAKE SURE YOU WAIT A SECOND OR TWO BEFORE ENTERING THE DOOR)

Temple:
Kill the flying Jackal Anubis (With the purple rays) in the Temple and carry his golden scepter to the second Temple level
Enter the golden door
Kill the second Anubis in the center of the next level and take the book with the face

Olmec:
While fighting Olmec find out where the book talks the fastest and kill Olmec there
Enter the door above the lava

Enjoy.

iL5ym4sw86gsQ.gif

OK .... so ... i have to do all this in one run? please say no.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
http://i.minus.com/iL5ym4sw86gsQ.gif

OK .... so ... i have to do all this in one run? please say no.
Yes. Wait, was that what you wanted me to say?

Don't worry, it becomes second nature.

The important part is make sure you don't die until you see that giant face. You'll know it when you see it and have probably seen it a few times by now and had no idea what it was for.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also, if you have enough bombs you can control where Olmec dies very easily. Just pay attention to the Face Book. It gets really anxious when you're in the right place.

If you haven't even seen what world 5 looks like, my god are you in for a treat.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Rob alllll the shops! Well, at least once I find one with a usable weapon and something I want. (Shotgun, freeze ray, boomerang or machete will do for me.) I'm not good at the jump and whip technique so I only rob a shop if he also has a weapon I can use to dispatch him immediately.

v1perz53

Rob alllll the shops! Well, at least once I find one with a usable weapon and something I want. (Shotgun, freeze ray, boomerang or machete will do for me.) I'm not good at the jump and whip technique so I only rob a shop if he also has a weapon I can use to dispatch him immediately.

I'm rubbish at the jump and whip, but theres a second technique I found online that I can do 90% of the time. You stand on the item closest to the shopkeeper and whip from there, for some reason you get thrown but he gets stunned, and you get up first, you can then grab the shotgun he dropped and kill him. You lose one heart, but small price to pay for a really good shop, like an early jetpack or 4x Bomb Boxes.

Heres a video of what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kcLQKRiB8
Some language in the video in case you're watching it somewhere in public

Takes less precision than jump whip at the expense of one health.

v1perz53

Hell. If he has a Jetpack I'll just walk out with it and fly off before he can get me.

Yea, but if you kill him you get a shotgun too! And early in the mines pre-sticky bombs and limited resources a shopkeeper going crazy all over can be a little difficult to deal with. To me, the one heart is usually worth the gain, as shotgun from that point on makes a lot of the shopkeepers that much simpler.

I'm rubbish at the jump and whip, but theres a second technique I found online that I can do 90% of the time. You stand on the item closest to the shopkeeper and whip from there, for some reason you get thrown but he gets stunned, and you get up first, you can then grab the shotgun he dropped and kill him. You lose one heart, but small price to pay for a really good shop, like an early jetpack or 4x Bomb Boxes.

Heres a video of what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kcLQKRiB8
Some language in the video in case you're watching it somewhere in public

Takes less precision than jump whip at the expense of one health.

That's pretty cool. I've finally mastered the jump 'n whip now so it's a technique I probably won't employ. But I wish I knew about this before!

Vashetti

Banned
Version 1.04 is out for Vita (and I assume PS3):

"This is a cumulative patch that fixes a critical bug in the patch 01.03 that could induce a system lockup under certain circumstances."

Huge fan of Spelunker and Spelunker HD here..

For some reason I just can't get into Spelunky. I thought I'd love it but I feel like I don't 'get it'. :/

NotSelf

Huge fan of Spelunker and Spelunker HD here..

For some reason I just can't get into Spelunky. I thought I'd love it but I feel like I don't 'get it'. :/

I like to compare playing Spelunky to jazz improvisation there will be allot of wrong notes at first but the deaths will make you a better player.

AH! ok, so for the first time ever in this game after getting to the temple only a handful of times before dying, i have not only gotten the blood cup (which rules) but the eye, the ankh, the headjet and anubus' staff. Also pissing off and nearly being slaughtered by many shop keepers, but finally made it to 4-2 and unlocked the door to the city of gold. while in the city of gold i found the necro book (holy shit i didn't know it triggered anubus II, that almost killed me) and now i have successfully dug a tunnel to sink olmec's head right down to where the door to hell is...

this has all been very nerve racking for me. and now i'm faced with a difficult dilemma. do i try to go to hell on my first run where i even made it past 4-1 and accomplished so many things, only to most likely die pretty fast in hell? or do i beat the giant head and take my first victory and beat the game? i mean i figure it'll get better and better and this won't be my only chance to go to hell...

so what do you guys think? should i cash out and take my prize or is there a benefit to going to hell? say like, even if i go and die in hell will i still get a hey you beat the game kind of achievement?

edit: and yes i just have my vita in standby mode with my lil spelunker standing at the edge of hell waiting for some input. i'm so nervous.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
so what do you guys think? should i cash out and take my prize or is there a benefit to going to hell? say like, even if i go and die in hell will i still get a hey you beat the game kind of achievement?

edit: and yes i just have my vita in standby mode with my lil spelunker standing at the edge of hell waiting for some input. i'm so nervous.
The game only counts it as a win when you enter the final door for a boss. So if you go to Hell, you better be planning on finishing it because you will not get Olmec's gold. $50,000 you won't get. But if you finish Hell, you will get $100,000 plus all the extra money from Yama's treasure. In other words, Hell can pretty much double your winnings if you can make it. If not add quite a bit to it.

AH! ok, so for the first time ever in this game after getting to the temple only a handful of times before dying, i have not only gotten the blood cup (which rules) but the eye, the ankh, the headjet and anubus' staff. Also pissing off and nearly being slaughtered by many shop keepers, but finally made it to 4-2 and unlocked the door to the city of gold. while in the city of gold i found the necro book (holy shit i didn't know it triggered anubus II, that almost killed me) and now i have successfully dug a tunnel to sink olmec's head right down to where the door to hell is...

this has all been very nerve racking for me. and now i'm faced with a difficult dilemma. do i try to go to hell on my first run where i even made it past 4-1 and accomplished so many things, only to most likely die pretty fast in hell? or do i beat the giant head and take my first victory and beat the game? i mean i figure it'll get better and better and this won't be my only chance to go to hell...

Have you watched any hell videos to know what to expect? I completed hell on my first visit so it's worth a try if you know the things to look out for.
You know you've got to be standing on Olmec's head to enter the door, right?

The game only counts it as a win when you enter the final door for a boss. So if you go to Hell, you better be planning on finishing it because you will not get Olmec's gold. $50,000 you won't get. But if you finish Hell, you will get $100,000 plus all the extra money from Yama's treasure. In other words, Hell can pretty much double your winnings if you can make it. If not add quite a bit to it.

alright, good to know. i decided knowing that to take my first win and i just beat olmec.

there aren't a lot of games that have ever made me feel this proud beating. now on to try everything else this game has.

Have you watched any hell videos to know what to expect? I completed hell on my first visit so it's worth a try if you know the things to look out for.
You know you've got to be standing on Olmec's head to enter the door, right?

yeah, i'd seen a video awhile ago before i'd ever played the game but didn't remember much of it, though i did remember how to line up the door with the book and how i'd have to get the position and timing just right on top of the head. i'm looking forward to trying hell in the future but i didn't trust myself to keep up my lucky streak this run.

Duster

I had one of my favourite ever runs last night.

I've had tunnel-man vision lately and am completely focused on getting to hell so I can finally take down King Yama, this usually results in me getting cocky and dying stupidly.
This run started terribly, I was low on resources, couldn't get to the key and didn't manage to stumble across the the black market. So I figured I'd focus on filling out the last few items in my journal by going to the Mothership or Worm place.

Luckily I came across a good shop in the ice caves and as I had a jetpack and shotgun I went to The Mothersip where I avoided my normal swift instant death and successfully took out the er...big brain thing and got the plasma cannon.

For the first time I didn't kill myself instantly with the cannon (mostly thanks to the jetpack)and instead had a blast using it to lay waste to everything in sight culminating in me reducing Olmec's lair to rubble, the fun soon stopped when I realised that I'd come up about $20,000 short of the Big Money trophy.
However as it had been so long since I beat Olmec the non-hell way I'd completely forgotten about the $50,000 bonus from that big giant golden head so it was a nice surprise to see I'd earned an unexpected trophy just when all hope was lost.
And usually I don't even care about trophies!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just use the ghost to create diamonds on a couple levels and I have $150k by the time I reach the black market.

Think about how much more you could have if you used the ghosts to rob those greedy wall vaults though. Then you don't have to worry about giving up any of your money to get everything in the black market.

v1perz53

I just use the ghost to create diamonds on a couple levels and I have $150k by the time I reach the black market.

My thought process is this. If I am bothering to ghost at all, I am going for a high score and definitely don't want to give up $50,000 for the ankh. If I am not going for a high score, ghosting takes a ton of extra time and is a pain when I could just murder the shopkeepers. You could say shopkeepers are more risky, but honestly 25% of the time I die when ghosting because I forgot I didn't put ropes in a certain area and back myself into a corner. Plus, robbing the black market is fun!

Makai

Think about how much more you could have if you used the ghosts to rob those greedy wall vaults though. Then you don't have to worry about giving up any of your money to get everything in the black market.
I'm just trying to beat Hell. No high score runs yet. :,(

My thought process is this. If I am bothering to ghost at all, I am going for a high score and definitely don't want to give up $50,000 for the ankh. If I am not going for a high score, ghosting takes a ton of extra time and is a pain when I could just murder the shopkeepers. You could say shopkeepers are more risky, but honestly 25% of the time I die when ghosting because I forgot I didn't put ropes in a certain area and back myself into a corner. Plus, robbing the black market is fun!
I rarely die from ghosting. And I usually do it when the gems are easily accessible (e.g. Snake Pit levels w/ Pickaxe). I need more practice killing shopkeepers if I'm gonna go down that route.

I hate bouncing shopkeepers and having them land on their gun. I know throwing them keeps 'em knocked out for an extra second but I always can't seem to find the gun among the items in time.

Meia

Is there any way to get back my shotgun and jetpack after i suicide in front of the MoaiHead?

...you shouldn't lose your jetpack if you suicide in the ice caves, it should still be on you inside the head.

The shotgun will be gone for good, but if you're going for the hell run anyway you'd need to drop the shotgun for the scepter in 4-1 anyway.

RoeBear

...you shouldn't lose your jetpack if you suicide in the ice caves, it should still be on you inside the head.

The shotgun will be gone for good, but if you're going for the hell run anyway you'd need to drop the shotgun for the scepter in 4-1 anyway.

If you get crushed by a falling rock though the jetpack will have exploded.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yesterday's Daily was terrible. In order to get the Eye you needed to use 3 bombs to get to the key and 1 to get to the chest.

The problem however is that in 1-1 I used a bomb to get to a crate that had spring shoes.

So I ended up wasting my bombs to get the key that I couldn't use.

Then I got to 1-4 where there was a single bomb box and died when I decided to throw the key, which I had been carrying since 1-2, at the shopkeeper. Why? I don't know. Maybe I'm just stupid.

Jintor

So I got to the black market and the map randomly dropped a tiki man in the middle of the shop. He threw his boomerang, hit the shopkeeper, and the shopkeeper shot me.

Fml. Fucking shopkeepers

Finally got to Olmec Wednesday night. Man, I am glad I recorded that because I had some incredible (lucky) jumps
and Olmec squished me halfway through the fight

v1perz53

Whoa. Does the plasma cannon do anything to the ghost?

There was a video where I think BanannasaurusRex killed the ghost by repeatedly dipping it in lava, took like 30 minutes. Pointless to do, but still awesome. If the plasma cannon did damage the ghost, it would be a tiny fraction of it's HP if anything.

v1perz53

Man I love this game but sometimes it can be complete shit. Like PSN daily today where spawning into 2-4 there is a boomerang tiki man facing you that boomerangs you into a man eater plant the second you spawn in. I even saw it ahead of time and jumped perfectly but he was spawned too close to escape. I have to assume black market was on 2-3 because some people got past this, but it was one of those kind of dailies where there were no extra bombs in the mines and the key was in 1-4 and needed two bombs to reach it, which I did not have at the time.

Oh well, just adds to the sense of accomplishment that I ever beat this game at all when stuff like that happens.

Top Bottom