• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't played Rogue Legacy yet but every time I watch videos of it I'm turned off by how boring the levels seem to be.
Me too. And I've seen hours and hours of gameplay. It's just so... not exciting at all. Spelunky has so much to discover though. If you don't make it out of the Mines, you miss out on so much.

Gigglepoo

Rogue Legacy is so different than Spelunky.

Exactly.

Rogue Legacy's emphasis is on extrinsic rewards. Earning new weapons, ruins, and skills is what pushes you onward.

Spelunky's emphasis is on intrinsic rewards. Mastery of the items, enemies, and mechanics is what keeps you playing.

Both are very well made, but trying to make a comparison based on their vague relationship to roguelikes (of which they both have very different approaches) doesn't make much sense. Their innate appeals are so different that there's no reason to talk about them in the same breath.

Afrodium

Banned
Rogue Legacy and Spelunky share nothing besides randomly generated levels. most everything earned on a run of Rogue Legacy is there to better your chances for subsequent runs, whereas all items/wealth accumulated in a run of Spelunky help you for just your current run. I'm not saying either of these design decisions is better, but they each create a drastically different experience. Additionally, the general gameplay of each game is way different. Spelunky has a lot to do with choosing how to manage resources throughout the run, determining if risky maneuvers are worth it, and even selecting to go to different levels in order to get certain items to improve/prolong your run. Rogue Legacy is mainly about running around fixed levels and killing everything. Again, there's nothing wrong with Rogue Legacy's approach, but I'm trying to illustrate that if you're comparing Rogue Legacy to Spelunky then you probably haven't figured out how Spelunky is really played. Go watch a complete Spelunky run on YouTube from a good player and you'll really see how high-level Spelunky is a whole different beast than Rogue Legacy.

Played it a bit when it came out for free with PS+. The music is really really not good imo, and the whole time I'm playing it just feels like a worse Rogue Legacy.
Damn. Opinions and all, but there's some really bad opinions in this post.

On the factual side of the ledger, listen to the posters above. If you spend the time to dig into both games, you'll find they're exactly right. The games are quite different.

demidar

I've finished both Spelunky and Rogue Legacy and consider Spelunky way better in terms of game design. Rogue Legacy's terrible power scaling and world leveling is bad. Spelunky also feels much better to control than the suddenness of movement in Rogue Legacy.

Banzai

I've been playing some vita-ps4 co-op with a friend and we always lose the connection at the black market. What happens is that our games kind of split up and our characters suddenly do different things on the other screen. This doesn't happen when we play on ps3. does anyone else have this problem?

Rogue Legacy looks way better visually, feels way better to play, and has way better music. The whole time I was playing Spelunky I just wished I was playing Rogue Legacy.
I don't see how crudely-made pixel art looks objectively better than sprites handdrawn at a higher resolution, never mind that Rogue Legacy's controls are a lot less tight than Spelunky with how loose the former feels. Soundtrack is up for debate; personal preference just like everything else you wrote, but I found Rogue Legacy's to be far too repetitive and grating. They're also just completely different games beyond basic similarities.

Now if you want to play a real action-based roguelite that doesn't rely on artificial grinding and novelty gimmicks in order to stand out, go check out Super House of Dead Ninjas instead.

Afrodium

Banned
I just got to Olmec for the first time and lost because I tried to use the scepter on a harmless monkey! I'm still kicking myself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've had the scepter a few times, and I've never killed myself with it. How does it hurt you exactly?
If the bubble can't find a target, it will fly around looking for one. If you happen to be in the way, you're dead, even if it's just a pixel collision. Or if it finishes with one enemy on your left and needs to go to the right for the next one, you do not have any time at all to react if it's heading in your direction.

It doesn't always kill you. But it's always a risk unless you can assure it won't stop playing with a body before it fizzles out. So most people just never use it just to be safe.

Duster

That's so strange, I was going to make another comment about learning something new after 2000+ runs and this time it was going to be about surviving a blast from my scepter.
Edit: Turns out it does 10 damage.

After over a year of Playing the Vita/PS3 and now PS4 I finally got the Speedlunky Trophy.

I almost did not make it (clocked in at 7 minutes and 30 something seconds). I will thank Bananasaurus rex's world record runs for giving me the idea of running underneath olmec for an easy and quick pound (just enough space between olmec and the corners of the pit for you to survive.

I ended up completing it with Compass, Jetpack and Spike shoes (Spike shoes was a first floor, on the path crate, Compass and Jetpack were in the same store on 1-4, bought the compass stole the jetpack and did not look back). 1:15 mines, 2:15 jungle, 1:15 ice caves.

Got lucky in temple 1, Anubis was immediately towards the right of the starting location, and the door was right below him, so minimal thwomps (crush blocks). Bombed my way through temple 2, Temple 3 was quick as well. went into Olmec at 6:59.

Had to use a ton of ropes on Olmec to ensure that no monsters from his pounds got down that corner.

All that is left is to get Vlad's Cloak and get attacked by a lilith, and I will have every trophy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My last two sessions, and for the past few months, I have not been able to get past 3-2.

Both times I died by falling in the abyss due to unavoidable means.

The first time was during my Daily yesterday when I accidentally flipped myself down a cliff right onto a Yeti instead of walking off the edge onto his head and knocking him out. I had a jetpack and was doing amazingly well and everything.

Then last night I cornered myself with the ghost and jumped to my death trying to rope my way out of the situation. I had no cape or jetpack so I was screwed either way. Best part is the ghost will keep following you down to the edge of the map and you'll hear the death gong when it catches up to your invisible unseen corpse. Bottomless pit is a LIE! It's only slightly deeper than the edge of the screen! Scandal! Scandal!

I will get to the Temple again. I will.

Afrodium

Banned
PbceBT4.gif

Fuck this game

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I finally got the mine key to the tunnel man. It was so thrilling. Temple access is now eternally mine! :)
Man. That was my favorite day ever. The attempt where I got to Tunnel Man and unlocked the Temple was the same attempt where I bet Olmec for the first time. I wasn't recording at this time so as soon as I entered his lair I said fuck it and turned on my recorder so I could save it for the future. It was awesome.

It was also the last post in the original Spelunky OT until someone came along today and bumped the thread.

Erevador

Man. That was my favorite day ever. The attempt where I got to Tunnel Man and unlocked the Temple was the same attempt where I bet Olmec for the first time. I wasn't recording at this time so as soon as I entered his lair I said fuck it and turned on my recorder so I could save it for the future. It was awesome.

It was also the last post in the original Spelunky OT until someone came along today and bumped the thread.
I saw that post, awesome. I'm glad I was playing my PS4 version when I did it and was able to hit the share button to save my playthrough once I got the key there. I've rarely felt such a sense of accomplishment in a game.

Spelunky is amazing. Since it's now on PS+, I've been evangelizing for the game intensely and have gotten three friends to pick it up and try it out.

Duster

Spelunky being on PS+ and PS4 has really heated up the competition.

Yesterday was one of the easier daily challenges with a jetpack crate in 1-1 and an ample supply of bombs and other items, I still managed to screw it up so couldn't get to hell but I still beat Olmec which usually guarantees a decent placing but I was way down the leaderboard, the top ten all had over a million.
Even worse are the days I embarrassingly don't make it out of the mines, the shame is even greater now 900 hundred people above me on the leaderboard laughing at my ineptitude.

As I can't be arsed with ghosting I may never break into that top 10 again.

Funnily enough, I was subscribed to that thread, but not this one: that bump and your subsequent post was what made me read this one today for the first time in months (I better subscribe to this one).

For added fun, the penultimate post in that thread (right before yours) is mine. :D

I wish Spelunky would come to the Xbox One. I already bought it and played the crap out of it on Xbox 360, but I would do it all over again on the Xbox One.

Jb

As I can't be arsed with ghosting I may never break into that top 10 again.

Is it even possible to break a million without ghosting? I usually start doing it as soons as I get the jetpack, and I've grown to appreciate how much it slows down the pacing of the game, making it a pretty good way to listen to podcast whilst playing.

KingGondo

Banned
The only obvious thing that I have yet to achieve is to beat Yama without the jetpack.

I was in good position to do it during yesterday's daily challenge, but a jetpack appeared in a later level and who am I to turn that down?

After I check that box off I might be able to finally play some other games.

NotSelf

I have to agree with you guys about ghosting but I still do it in the ice caves especially if I have a jetpack it's quite easy and fast to do it there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My highest score was about $700,000 or thereabouts. I would love to just get a million for the hell of it and never have to care about money again. But I just can't bring myself to always ghost. Unless I have a jetpack and am in the right mood.

My other two goals are the only two achievements I still have left. Speedlunky and No Gold. But I can't get into the right mood to do those right now either.

I only play occasionally anymore. Much like a lot of streamers have given up on it having pretty much played it to literal death. (BananasaurusRex will never touch it again and Scoops from GiantBomb played once a few days ago to celebrate the PS4 version and has no plans to ever do another episode and I miss BaerTaffy's Spelunky streams.)

Haven't been to the Temple in ages. And always end up dying on 3-2 the few times I've even gotten to the Caves.

Edit: Okay. So they're making a liar out of me. Both BananasaurusRex and BaerTaffy are playing co-op Spelunky with each other right now. How? They're apparently not in the same room. Did they implement online co-op or is this a hack? So weird. And awesome. I can always watch Spelunky.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just copied my Windows 7 Virtual Machine over to my new 27" iMac and set it all up and loaded up Spelunky and it plays just as well as it does on my 15" rMBP. So awesome. And so huuuuge on the new display. It's like playing on a big screen TV.

All my statistics are of course reset. I'm actually liking unlocking everything again. It's like playing for the first time again.

I just beat King Yama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQDhOjzUwQ

Two and a half years or something I've been playing this game, off and on. Probably around 2,500 games in total, though a lot of those were very very quick aborted Speedlunky runs. Basically what I'm saying is that if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I've got all the trophies on PSN now, and I know I can get the rest I need on XBLA as well now, aside from Low Scorer which will take work. Made it as far as 4-1, once, I guess that's the next goal!

virtuo

Neo Member
I just beat King Yama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQDhOjzUwQ

Two and a half years or something I've been playing this game, off and on. Probably around 2,500 games in total, though a lot of those were very very quick aborted Speedlunky runs. Basically what I'm saying is that if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Congratulations! I had the same triumph yesterday on the Daily Challenge, after a similar amount of playtime on the 360 and Vita. My palms were drenched and my heart was racing when Yama fell. I put the Vita down to catch my breath, and turning it back on to check my leaderboard ranking, I got disconnected from PSN and the leaderboard was at 1-3. Gutted! But at least I got the trophy.

After close to 1,000 deaths, my friend and I finally beat Olmec starting from the Mines. It was my friend who beat it that run and he even got to the City of Gold, but we didn't really know what was there. Apparently there's something there that opens up Hell?

New goal I suppose!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After close to 1,000 deaths, my friend and I finally beat Olmec starting from the Mines. It was my friend who beat it that run and he even got to the City of Gold, but we didn't really know what was there. Apparently there's something there that opens up Hell?

New goal I suppose!
Yep. Take some time to explore the City of Gold. It's full of fun surprises.

NotSelf

Finally beat yama without a jet pack or cape I did have gloves spring shoes and sticky bomb to aid me even with that I found it difficult. Also for the first time during that run I found a plasma gun in a crate above olmec.

Guys, any other game that has Co op/ Deathmatch similar to Spelunky on the PC?

Need something new to play with my niece. This is the only game she likes. I might have started her off on the wrong game TBH, its all downhill from here. :p

Griss

Have to say, I'm loving this on PS+ right now. Very frustrating but very fun.

I have one question: How the fuck do you kill Olmec? It's driving me crazy that I'm at the stage where I can get to Olmec in 4-5 minutes one out of every three tries (from the very start, the mines), but I've never beat him. The first time I beat him I'll get both the Speedlunky and Ironman trophies. I mean, I just did two 5 minute runs to him in a row, had about 13 health, 40 bombs, couldn't have gone better, but I reach him and I'm clueless as to how to avoid dying. I feel like it's strange to have mastered the game this much and be unable to do anything versus the final boss.

Any tips or help?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Have to say, I'm loving this on PS+ right now. Very frustrating but very fun.

I have one question: How the fuck do you kill Olmec? It's driving me crazy that I'm at the stage where I can get to Olmec in 4-5 minutes one out of every three tries (from the very start, the mines), but I've never beat him. The first time I beat him I'll get both the Speedlunky and Ironman trophies. I mean, I just did two 5 minute runs to him in a row, had about 13 health, 40 bombs, couldn't have gone better, but I reach him and I'm clueless as to how to avoid dying. I feel like it's strange to have mastered the game this much and be unable to do anything versus the final boss.

Any tips or help?

First, kite him over to one side of the room and then immediately go to the top of the area where crates and other items are. From here Olmec won't follow you so you can go to the other side of the area and start bombing your down to the lava. Once you have made a sizeable hole that can easily fit Olmec go back to where Olmec is and land on his head. Once on his head move to the edge on the side that faces the direction you want him to go and he'll start bouncing in that direction. He should then plunge in to the hole. Make sure to jump off of him at the last second or else you'll go down with him.

Griss

First, kite him over to one side of the room and then immediately go to the top of the area where crates and other items are. From here Olmec won't follow you so you can go to the other side of the area and start bombing your down to the lava. Once you have made a sizeable hole that can easily fit Olmec go back to where Olmec is and land on his head. Once on his head move to the edge on the side that faces the direction you want him to go and he'll start bouncing in that direction. He should then plunge in to the hole. Make sure to jump off of him at the last second or else you'll go down with him.

That sounds like a solid plan. I've just been trying to run under him from side to side, and he inevitably corners me in a hole that's too small, or else I try to blast a hole for him and he kills me as I try to lure him down it. Standing on his head sounds much easier.

Griss

Hahahahaha, it worked, you magnificent bastard! It worked! Three weeks of trying!

Didn't get the speedlunky achievement because I spent so long bombing the hole, but Ironman is mine. On to hell!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hahahahaha, it worked, you magnificent bastard! It worked! Three weeks of trying!

Didn't get the speedlunky achievement because I spent so long bombing the hole, but Ironman is mine. On to hell!

Congrats! Once you know the method beating Olmec is trivial. Yama on the other hand...

Duster

Damn the bosses are having a bad time of it lately, congrats everybody, especially Griss as going at that speed before you'd beaten Olmec is impressive.

I had gutting battle with Yama recently, I'm not 100% sure what happened as it was off-screen but I'm pretty sure I hit his head with two sticky bombs, one killed him and the other must have dropped on the structure at the top sending a spiked ball tumbling through the level until it landed on my head.

I did however get my highest ever score on a daily but although it went on that leaderboard (over 700,000 and nowhere near the top 10) it doesn't seem to have registered on the general high-score leaderboard.

Top Bottom