• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am playing Sekiro and I am having a blast...

Dr.Morris79

...with Wemod on.
yul6Amb.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
Cheating? Lmao.

I turned a non souls player friend of mine onto this game, and he already beat Lady Butterfly and is now at Genichiro.
He had never played a Souls game, would probably never buy one but I told him Sekiro is a great action game, and it really is. One of the best ever made.
After awhile I told him these guys make Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring too and he was like ahh shit haha

He's not one to pick up hard games, but he's adjusting and even tho he's dying here and there he's still persisting. Some parts he's playing better than me for sure.

The difficulty in these games are way overblown, You just gotta learn the system and the enemy and how they attack. Then it's quite easy to overcome.

Last edited:

Gandih42

The dev clearly exercise their freedom to create a game to their vision, which is a game that can only be competed with a good understanding of a specific mechanic (the timing of parry). It has always been their niche and that's what make their name.

You can argue if Demon Souls has a very lenient combat mechanic it will not have the lasting impact it had; it will just be another medieval hack'n slash lost in time and we might not even have DS series and Soulsborne genre thereafter.

You are correct that the consumer have the power to decide what is fun for them. Their freedom is to only purchase and play games they enjoy, but they do not, however, have the power to change the creator's vision on a game.

I completely agree, although I'd say that players do actually have the power to change the "creator's vision". Semantics aside, thanks to modding players have the ability to turn the game into whatever they find fun. Creative vision be damned. I think that's a decent compromise, for both sides of the tiresome argument people have about this. If a person is not enjoying their game, who cares that they modify it to their liking. Good for OP that he is enjoying Sekiro.

I think most people can agree that a strong creative vision has a strong correlation with good games, and in the case of FromSoftware the specific type of difficulty they deliver is clearly a part of that vision. I don't really think that by itself a good case for not having an Easy Mode, I'd say that is more a matter of priorities. They could easily make an "Easy Mode", but that means people would also judge the game in context of it having an "Easy Mode". Having an "Easy Mode" sort of implies that it is an approved way to play. So if they don't do the "Easy Mode" well I imagine it would reflect poorly (or more poorly) on the games reception.

Clearly they don't feel it is necessary to cater to that audience, given how successful they have been and with the audience they have found. I think an even better compromise than the existing one (modding) would be "Cheats" in-game. Like, old-school style cheats. It would add to the old-school charm that the difficulty already exudes, and would clearly indicate that it is NOT an approved way to play. Meaning people would be less inclined to judge it on the merits of whatever Cheats would be available. They wouldn't come with the expectation of balance, unlike an "Easy Mode" and would require much less effort. The more casual console players would also be able to enjoy the game and It'd even add value for players who prefer playing the game normally; now you have extra shit to mess around with, just like in the good old days. Could even make them unlockable through gameplay, in addition to codes you can look up.

Regardless, FromSoftware have irrevocably created an audience and market for "hard" games so I doubt we'll ever be going hungry. Even should they themselves decide they want to cater to a more casual audience at some point.

Olimbox

Neo Member
just my 2 cents. In the last 3 months I completed demon souls(ps5), dark souls remaster (pc) and dark souls 3(pc)
More I play those games and more I see how incredible and deep they are. A bit like a metaphor of life. You front obstacles, big or small, and learn how to overtake them. The stake is high for a failure, that is why you feel so engaged to don't make mistakes, or learn quickly from them. Sometimes the obstacle is so hard that you can't make it by yourself, so you ask help to other people, who are facing similar problems and can help you. Life doesn't have cheat codes or easy mode :)

Dr_Salt

This didn’t take many posts. Why do you give a shit about the way OP enjoys the game? It’s their experience. I wish people would stop expecting others to have the same tastes, interests, and ideas as them.🤦‍♂️
I mean there are tons of games that have easy difficulty and you can play casually right now. Sekiro is not one of them as the difficulty is not a gimmick but a core component of what the game's identity and design is as said by its creator himself.

I don't really see the point of playing this game if you are just gonna spam the attack button and recover with infinite health. Its as if you were gonna play a Mario game but instead of going through the obstacles you just run in a straight line to the end of the level.

Mr Hyde

This didn’t take many posts. Why do you give a shit about the way OP enjoys the game? It’s their experience. I wish people would stop expecting others to have the same tastes, interests, and ideas as them.🤦‍♂️

I don't give a shit. I just thinks he's stupid for knowingly robbing himself of the awesome experience that is Sekiros combat system. But he's free to do what he wants hence "you do you". But while we're on the subject. If there is one thing I hate in this world it's fucking cheaters. Lazy cunts who takes shortcuts, whether it's in video games or in real life, are just sad people.

I don't give a shit. I just thinks he's stupid for knowingly robbing himself of the awesome experience that is Sekiros combat system. But he's free to do what he wants hence "you do you". But while we're on the subject. If there is one thing I hate in this world it's fucking cheaters. Lazy cunts who takes shortcuts, whether it's in video games or in real life, are just sad people.
High Five Lets Go GIF by Film Riot

Knightime_X

I’m not talking about the difficulty with RE7 I’m talking about Capcom choosing to go first person with that game and I’m not fan of it but I respect that was their choice.

It’s same with FROM, you may not like it but it’s their choice if they want to put difficulty option or not and so far they chose not to, people can cry river about it but end of the day it their game and their fucking choice.

They made it perfectly clear with every release that they don’t want to put difficulty option in their games and at some point you guys need to accept it.
Your example still doesn't work.
But I get what you're trying to say.

Most people HAVE accepted, but they're going to ignore what from says and do it anyways.

Knightime_X

The dev clearly exercise their freedom to create a game to their vision, which is a game that can only be competed with a good understanding of a specific mechanic (the timing of parry). It has always been their niche and that's what make their name.

You can argue if Demon Souls has a very lenient combat mechanic it will not have the lasting impact it had; it will just be another medieval hack'n slash lost in time and we might not even have DS series and Soulsborne genre thereafter.

You are correct that the consumer have the power to decide what is fun for them. Their freedom is to only purchase and play games they enjoy, but they do not, however, have the power to change the creator's vision on a game.
It's still hack 'n' slash, but with extra steps.

In my 37 years of gaming I've always finished a game that I started except sekiro , it's last boss broke me,endless tries for a few days than deleted it.
I've finished all darksouls , elden ring Bloodborne but I couldn't kill sekiros last boss

Imagine giving this much of a shit about how someone else plays a game.

“It’s sad that you don’t know the difference.”

Get over yourself you absolute gimp.

Same mentality applies to cheaters in multiplayers. "Who gives a shit if they ruin your game? Let them play however they want." Only gimps here are cheater apologists.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I mean there are tons of games that have easy difficulty and you can play casually right now. Sekiro is not one of them as the difficulty is not a gimmick but a core component of what the game's identity and design is as said by its creator himself.

I don't really see the point of playing this game if you are just gonna spam the attack button and recover with infinite health. Its as if you were gonna play a Mario game but instead of going through the obstacles you just run in a straight line to the end of the level.
“I don’t really see the point”. That’s the key. Just because you wouldn’t enjoy the game like that, doesn’t mean that the OP doesn’t. I just don’t understand how Soulslike fans can get soooo angry about it. I am personally not a huge fan of Soulslike games, I played through most of Bloodborne but put it down for other games and didn’t go back. Probably will if it ever hits 60fps. I also rarely have cheated in any game in the past, outside of revisiting a game I played already, but it is beyond me why people get so defensive when someone does outside of multiplayer games. Idk, just my opinion, maybe I would feel different about it if I was a huge soulsborne guy.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I was with you and respected your point until your reverted to calling people cunts, and straight up just called OP that with your comment. Gtfoh with that 🤡 shit…another one for the ignore list

Dr_Salt

“I don’t really see the point”. That’s the key. Just because you wouldn’t enjoy the game like that, doesn’t mean that the OP doesn’t. I just don’t understand how Soulslike fans can get soooo angry about it. I am personally not a huge fan of Soulslike games, I played through most of Bloodborne but put it down for other games and didn’t go back. Probably will if it ever hits 60fps. I also rarely have cheated in any game in the past, outside of revisiting a game I played already, but it is beyond me why people get so defensive when someone does outside of multiplayer games. Idk, just my opinion, maybe I would feel different about it if I was a huge soulsborne guy.
I'm not even that big of a souls fan, only beat DS3, Sekiro and played but not beat Elden Ring but I just don't find the appeal of having to break the game to have fun with it. I would rather play something else that is more of my liking.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm not even that big of a souls fan, only beat DS3, Sekiro and played but not beat Elden Ring but I just don't find the appeal of having to break the game to have fun with it. I would rather play something else that is more of my liking.
First off…I hear you, I really do…and also completely agree. I have over 170 platinum trophies on PlayStation consoles with zero cheats used. I’m not big on them at all, but I’ll never downplay someone else’s enjoyment of a video game, or how they choose to enjoy it (outside of multiplayer of course).

Secondly…I appreciate you having an actual conversation about it, as opposed to what most people are doing in the thread. Respect!

Edit for the third point lol - I am going to visit Elden Ring in the near future though, and I’m looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Was playing Sekiro for the first time and finished it in the weekend. I've been obsessed with the Souls games since discovering Elden Ring in 2022 and already replayed Demon's Souls Remake and DS3. Bloodborne is the only one left now, and I hope to start it soon.

The last boss, Isshin, took me maybe 30 tries or so, I didn't count. As always, you will get better and better and the pain and frustration becomes a fun and highly addictive challenge very quick. The art or Sekiro is phenomenal and I think it's the best From game in this department, but the challenge is what makes this one special. If you want to be a ninja, you should have good reflexes at least. The gameplay reminds me of... Gran Turismo, in the sense that you will need to learn a track and get used to a car by failure and repetition. It's frustrating at first, but for me the challenge is very addicting.

That being said, I'm not totally against the existence of an "easy mode" for some people, but it should be discouraged as much as possible. Like if you start on normal, you can't switch to easy. Challenge needs to be imposed, or else most people probably wouldn't resist the temptation of turning on the easy mode.

zeldaring

Banned
Cheating? Lmao.

I turned a non souls player friend of mine onto this game, and he already beat Lady Butterfly and is now at Genichiro.
He had never played a Souls game, would probably never buy one but I told him Sekiro is a great action game, and it really is. One of the best ever made.
After awhile I told him these guys make Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring too and he was like ahh shit haha

He's not one to pick up hard games, but he's adjusting and even tho he's dying here and there he's still persisting. Some parts he's playing better than me for sure.

The difficulty in these games are way overblown, You just gotta learn the system and the enemy and how they attack. Then it's quite easy to overcome.
I have had no luck. I had 4 friends quit elden ring and sikero cause of difficulty.

FunkMiller

I just don’t understand how Soulslike fans can get soooo angry about it.

I think the frustration Souls fans feel when we read stuff like this is that the OP has denied himself the thing that makes the Souls games as good as they are.

Let's be brutally fucking honest about it, none of them have incredibly unique or original plots, characters, settings or stories. What sets them completely apart from almost all of their equivalents is the gameplay loop, and the attention to detail inherent in the combat systems. And the core of that detail is the difficulty, and the way the game teaches you to improve, and rewards you when you do.

I'd imagine Sekiro with cheats feels like a bog standard fantasy samurai game.

Like I said in my earlier post, the OP hasn't really played Sekiro.

He's played a bog standard fantasy Samurai game. Which I guess is nice and all..... but it's not a Souls game anymore, and would feel to me like a waste of time and money.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I think the frustration Souls fans feel when we read stuff like this is that the OP has denied himself the thing that makes the Souls games as good as they are.

Let's be brutally fucking honest about it, none of them have incredibly unique or original plots, characters, settings or stories. What sets them completely apart from almost all of their equivalents is the gameplay loop, and the attention to detail inherent in the combat systems. And the core of that detail is the difficulty, and the way the game teaches you to improve, and rewards you when you do.

He's played a bog standard fantasy Samurai game.
Fair enough, and great points! Like I said earlier in a reply, maybe I just don’t get it because I’m not a huge soulsborne and/or clone type guy…but still, for some of these folks to flat out rage on here about OPs post is beyond me. I will never understand that, but I also don’t understand why kids shoot up schools, so 🤷‍♂️. Human beings are interesting creatures I suppose lol

FunkMiller

Fair enough, and great points! Like I said earlier in a reply, maybe I just don’t get it because I’m not a huge soulsborne and/or clone type guy…but still, for some of these folks to flat out rage on here about OPs post is beyond me. I will never understand that, but I also don’t understand why kids shoot up schools, so 🤷‍♂️. Human beings are interesting creatures I suppose lol

I'm not angry (see no reason to be) but I'm disappointed for the OP that he didn't get the experience he should have had from the game.

Fromsoft are one of the only devs these days who are truly intent on gameplay quality over everything else, and if you're a gamer who sidesteps their intent, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not angry (see no reason to be) but I'm disappointed for the OP that he didn't get the experience he should have had from the game.

Fromsoft are one of the only devs these days who are truly intent on gameplay quality over everything else, and if you're a gamer who sidesteps their intent, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.
For me I just I dont understand the point of it, OP didn't even try make the game "easier" and instead broke the gameplay in order not to engage with combat system.....if hated Sekrio's gameplay then why even bother play it?

Also I hear people keep saying how others only play games like Sekiro for "bragging" and yet we see people like OP making entire thread to brag about how he broke the game in order to beat it.

omegasc

I'm glad you're having fun!
Cheats are only bad when doing so it's unfair to someone else. You don't need to get better to enjoy any game, the challenge is not the only fun factor and it's ok to skip it, just like any side quest.

remember: It's not your job, it's your hobby!

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned

Let's be brutally fucking honest about it, none of them have incredibly unique or original plots, characters, settings or stories
. What sets them completely apart from almost all of their equivalents is the gameplay loop, and the attention to detail inherent in the combat systems. And the core of that detail is the difficulty, and the way the game teaches you to improve, and rewards you when you do.

He's played a bog standard fantasy Samurai game. Which I guess is nice and all..... but it's not a Souls game anymore, and would feel to me like a waste of time and money.
You basically described every game coming out in the past 15 years, and fromsoftware is probably has the most unique characters, art style , lore and settings, let's not talk about the amazing level design and exploring with tons of secrets and different paths or how each npc is on their own quest regardless if you do the quest or not.

Yes i love the combat and challenge in souls type games but it also nails everything else. Many of my friends love the world and the art-style but don't like the get gud gameplay so they avoid it.

I wanted to love it, but it simply was too fast for me. I could handle Bloodborn or Elden Ring, but Sekiro was too much for my aging reflexes.

edit: can’t really cheat on the console versions.
download wemod, it even has a 1 hit option for bosses and infinite health. you can adjust every parameter you want and you can make the game super easy if you want. I went with infinite supplies and double damage and feels easy and enjoyable. Will play Elden Ring after that this way too.

I could never beat the last boss so I just stopped playing there three times by now. I'd rather not finish the game than cheat. Never got the appeal of that personally but hey, it's single-player so go to town.

DMC combat shits all over Bayonetta tbh. Try Vergil for DMCV
Strong disagree from me. DMC is definitely the top series in the genre for putting together stylish and technical combos, but that’s about it and I’m not the kind of person to pull together or watch combo vids. I massively prefer Bayonetta’s overall enemy design (combat-wise) and encounter design to anything in DMC 3-5. Plus I prefer Bayonetta’s scoring system. Granted this doesn’t extend to Bayonetta 2 (haven’t played 3) which has more issues and is below DMC in my opinion.

DMC as a whole is pretty great, but it’s still squarely in the middle tier of the genre overall in my opinion. I easily put Bayonetta 1, NGB, NGII, God Hand, The Wonderful 101, and even Viewtiful Joe (and Sekiro if you count it as the same genre) over it.

Last edited:
Cheating? Lmao.

My best friend is 43, bought himself a PS4 during Covid after not having touched video games in like 20+ years and so far he managed to beat Dark Souls, Bloodborne and is working on Sekiro and Dark Souls 3.

It's painful watching him play but he fucking somehow does it 😄

Dr_Salt

My best friend is 43, bought himself a PS4 during Covid after not having touched video games in like 20+ years and so far he managed to beat Dark Souls, Bloodborne and is working on Sekiro and Dark Souls 3.

It's painful watching him play but he fucking somehow does it 😄
It's because he doesn't give up and tries until he makes it. That is basically what Miyazaki wants to transmit through his design philosophy.

NinjaBoiX

Same mentality applies to cheaters in multiplayers. "Who gives a shit if they ruin your game? Let them play however they want." Only gimps here are cheater apologists.
It absolutely doesn’t, they’re hugely different.

Cheating in a single player game is a personal choice to enjoy the game how you choose to, with no impact whatsoever on how others choose to play the game.

I’m sure you don’t need me to point out how this doesn’t translate in remotely the same way to multiplayer games…

Cheating online is a proper dick move, spoiling the game for everyone else playing by the rules. It’s akin to a petulant table flip by a child who can’t stand to lose, it’s absolutely pathetic.

Cheating in a solo game couldn’t be more “you do you”; it’s a complete non-issue that elitist weirdos choose to get bent out of shape over for some reason.

Last edited:
It absolutely doesn’t, they’re hugely different.

No theyre not. If he needs to cheat in a simple game, whats to stop him from doing so in multiplayer? He found an easy way out to play his games, has the mentality of "i give up ill just cheat to enjoy". That mentality is universal and most likely he'll do it or would do it if he could. If you dont have the will to play a game fair, why would he have it online? No, theres no excuse for cheating in my eyes, regardless of poor reasoning. Find something else your skill can adapt. Actually even that is a bit stupid because people have beaten Elden Ring blindfolded, with a dancepad, and in so many seemingly impossible ways that I just cant find an excuse for someone that says, yeah its too hard. Unless severely handicapped which he clearly isnt, he can easily defeat the game fair.

NinjaBoiX

No theyre not. If he needs to cheat in a simple game, whats to stop him from doing so in multiplayer? He found an easy way out to play his games, has the mentality of "i give up ill just cheat to enjoy". That mentality is universal and most likely he'll do it or would do it if he could. If you dont have the will to play a game fair, why would he have it online? No, theres no excuse for cheating in my eyes, regardless of poor reasoning. Find something else your skill can adapt. Actually even that is a bit stupid because people have beaten Elden Ring blindfolded, with a dancepad, and in so many seemingly impossible ways that I just cant find an excuse for someone that says, yeah its too hard. Unless severely handicapped which he clearly isnt, he can easily defeat the game fair.
But…I don’t get why you care how he enjoyed a game if it didn’t negatively affect how anyone else enjoyed the game? Are you angry because he finished a game the easy way when you had to “work for it” or something?

Who cares man, I don’t get it. Let him play how he wants if it’s not hurting anyone else.

Also, it’s a bit of a stretch to say “well he cheats in an SP game so why wouldn’t he cheat online?” I sometimes take the easy way out playing a single player game, but I wouldn’t dream of cheating online because it’s all kinds of pathetic and just really cunty to knowingly fuck over everyone else’s game for a hollow, meaningless victory.

Last edited:
But…I don’t get why you care how he enjoyed a game if it didn’t negatively affect how anyone else enjoyed the game? Are you angry because he finished a game the easy way when you had to “work for it” or something?

Who cares man, I don’t get it. Let him play how he wants if it’s not hurting anyone else.

Also, it’s a bit of a stretch to say “well he cheats in an SP game so why wouldn’t he cheat online?” I sometimes take the easy way out playing a single player game, but I wouldn’t dream of cheating online because it’s all kinds of pathetic and just really cunty to knowingly fuck over everyone else’s game for a hollow, meaningless victory.

I care because it's a discussion forum and I want to put him and other cheaters on the right path. The defense that it doesnt impact anyone but himself is eh. He made a public topic about it, hence, it impacted and disappointed me and other forum users. I mostly jest ofc and I'm not angry at him or anything, I don't really care that much for someone who has a cdkey as his username but I have to try and change the man. Everyone knows and even posted here, how incredibly satisfying it is to succeed in Sekiro. He has to see the light.

NinjaBoiX

The defense that it doesnt impact anyone but himself is eh.
It more of a simple observation than a defence, given how entirely innocuous his actions are. It’s a complete nothing burger, it’s like pulling someone up about what colour their car is.

But you’re apparently also upset about his username for some reason? So your outrage tracks I guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like Sekiro. But.. and I don't wanna sound like a pussy, it was a little difficult for me. But still enjoyable.

Top Bottom