• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am Setsuna |OT| But The World Refused To Change

Ennosuke

The music made it boring? I haven't played much yet, but what I can say is, that the music is beautiful and without any doubts a great piece of art.

KtSlime

Glad I didn't preorder, SE dropped the price to 3,980 yen from 4,800 yen when they released it last night.

I wonder what Steams policy on things like that are, I feel bad for the people who preordered, that's a pretty expensive wallpaper.

Shin-chan

Played the first couple of hours and while I'm not wowed so far it's fun. For what's apparently a short game it's painfully slow to get you into any engaging battles, though. The tutorial is almost Ni No Kuni bad.

I thought I'd love the music but it's honestly hit and miss. The theme that plays prior to boss fights (so far) is very annoying, but then most of the rest has been nice. The editing is the worst though - it just cuts out at the end of some scenes without fading into a different track/silence. That's the sort of amateurish cheap thing you see in Star Ocean (hello door freeze frame).

The atmosphere is great and the characters interesting. I'm looking forward to getting more into it.

One question I have is how does momentum work. I skimmed the tutorial because that song was playing and I couldn't concentrate and read it. It seemed to say a square button prompt will appear after the bars are filled but that's never happened to me. I can't see where to review the tutorials in the menus either.

Zetta

I just started the game and I'm so happy lol. I have been waiting to play this for a while now, work was torture today.

So far I'm really enjoying it. While it certainly doesn't rewrite the JRPG book, I love the atmosphere and playing it just makes me feel good.

Joei

I'm very early on, was only able to get to the first village and explored a little (it's hard to game during the day with a 10 month old) but I was pleased with the aesthetics and general feel. It's like I'm back in 1995, glorious. I'm hoping I can play more tonight before I go to sleep or at least a little tomorrow.

Bladenic

One question I have is how does momentum work. I skimmed the tutorial because that song was playing and I couldn't concentrate and read it. It seemed to say a square button prompt will appear after the bars are filled but that's never happened to me. I can't see where to review the tutorials in the menus either.

When you attack or use a tech after the blue orbs have filled at least once, press square when a blue light appears over the character's head when initiating the attack. The timing is very generous too.

Taruranto

KbQ8NrA.jpg

Someone should try to rename all characters with the guys from FFX and see how well the story flows.

Skulldead

I decide to give it a chance on Steam.... the first couples of hours are a little way too on the easy side event on active, i can't imagine on wait...

But i'll let a chance i heard it get little better later on.

Timeaisis

Yep. They almost got me with the bonus themes and song, but I'll just wait for a nice discount instead. Reviews are about what I expected, and the lack of difficulty is very disappointing.

I decide to give it a chance on Steam.... the first couples of hours are a little way too on the easy side event on active, i can't imagine on wait...

But i'll let a chance i heard it get little better later on.

I'd compare the difficulty to most PS1-era Square games. There are hard encounters (mostly bosses), but standard enemies are usually pretty easy. But the game is very easy the first few hours, and gets a tad harder as it progresses. Bosses become an actual challenge, eventually. Not really hard, but not easy. Of course, I'm sure grinding makes it painfully easy, but that's pretty much every JRPG.

Definitely play on active all the way through, though. Gives battles a lot more edge.

SephLuis

If anyone cares, here's my review:

http://www.ps3brasil.com/analise/728/

It's in brazilian portuguese and I gave it a 9/10.

I really liked the game, especially towards the end, where the battle system becomes more strategic and you really have to plan your party. I also found a broken combination that let me kill enemies and bosses in 2-3 turns.

Glad I didn't preorder, SE dropped the price to 3,980 yen from 4,800 yen when they released it last night.

I wonder what Steams policy on things like that are, I feel bad for the people who preordered, that's a pretty expensive wallpaper.

It's not the first time.

Dark Souls 3 got a last day price adjustment as well for IDR.

The "Vita" tag in the trophy menu makes me sad.

Mood swings aside, I'm loving the game so far!
The soundtrack doesn't even need a piano collection!

I'd compare the difficulty to most PS1-era Square games. There are hard encounters (mostly bosses), but standard enemies are usually pretty easy. But the game is very easy the first few hours, and gets a tad harder as it progresses. Bosses become an actual challenge, eventually. Not really hard, but not easy. Of course, I'm sure grinding makes it painfully easy, but that's pretty much every JRPG.

Definitely play on active all the way through, though. Gives battles a lot more edge.

Did they ever add a "Hard mode" DLC or extra difficult missions or chapters in Japan? Wonder if that's still possible.

Aeana

Has anyone gotten Gedosato working with the PC version? No matter what I try, it always reports "not downsampling" which makes me sad.

drac96

The flux system is baffling me. I am to understand that if I equip talismans with Flux bonuses they should randomly pop when I use techs with momentum. I've literally done this for the past half hour and have yet to see a single flux bonus.

Edit: Finally, one popped up after using cyclone. When they say random, they really mean it huh?

TriAceJP

I will not comment on the actual quality of the music, but one thing I can absolutely say about it is that it puts me to sleep.

I've drifted off about 4 times now.

Game is fine, though. I'm liking it so far.

it's a wonder I haven't fallen asleep yet. :X

Beat you to it.

Taruranto

The flux system is baffling me. I am to understand that if I equip talismans with Flux bonuses they should randomly pop when I use techs with momentum. I've literally done this for the past half hour and have yet to see a single flux bonus.

Edit: Finally, one popped up after using cyclone. When they say random, they really mean it huh?

Game is brain dead easy so far anyway, between the poor enemy variety, straightforward dungeons and the relaxing snow theme it's a wonder I haven't fallen asleep yet. :X

If they liked CT so much maybe they should have taken a clue from CT fun bosses.

Tohsaka

It's really uncommon, I think it's happened to me like 3 times in probably 8 hours or so.

OmegaDL50

40€, only digital release and graphics from the past century. Well done $€.

I've seen folks get banned for abbreviating Microsoft and Sony using dollar signs to replace some letters. I would say abbreviating Square Enix in the same manner is equally frowned upon.

I think it would be fair to give you heads up if you ever intend to make more posts beyond your terrible first one.

SephLuis

You get talismas later that are made to trigger Flux.

Also, the more you use a skill in battle, the bigger are the chances of triggering it. At least I think, I used a lot of skills towards the end game and was getting flux bonuses without too much effort.

Bladenic

Hmmm that's interesting to read about the different experiences with Flux. I'm only 3.5 hours in but I've gotten quite a few already. Strangely I've gotten a lot for the MC and the other swordsman but only one for Setsuna.

Taruranto

Should I keep the white items in the "sell" menus? I know the green ones are ingredients, but I can't figure if the whites are generic junk or future Spritnite items.

jrcbandit

How can someone in this day and age still use ancient DirectInput or whatever it is system for joysticks? It's the same issue as Telltale games using an ancient game engine that doesn't support Xbox One controller without installing some Windows 7 drivers. The last time I installed Windows 7 Xbox One drivers in Windows 10, I had some issues in newer games....

Ice9

Was really interested in this title, but watching a stream last night, I couldn't get over the music, so I'll have to pass.

Most people claim the music is a redeeming factor, and indeed it is a novel concept to have a unifying concept/theme to work with in a video game, and has been used successfully in the past.

I feel like this could have better been achieved with a greater selection of instruments, perhaps drawing on the snow motif. There could even be liberal sprinkling of piano! Just not...so much, all the time. It becomes grating.

It isn't even that the music is poor. I would probably like a soundtrack for this title to listen to independently of the game itself. But it just doesn't jive with me when mixed with the final product, which is a throwback JRPG.

In short, give me some woodwinds or at least some cool synths /shrug

Teknoman

Was really interested in this title, but watching a stream last night, I couldn't get over the music, so I'll have to pass.

Most people claim the music is a redeeming factor, and indeed it is a novel concept to have a unifying concept/theme to work with in a video game, and has been used successfully in the past.

I feel like this could have better been achieved with a greater selection of instruments, perhaps drawing on the snow motif. There could even be liberal sprinkling of piano! Just not...so much, all the time. It becomes grating.

It isn't even that the music is poor. I would probably like a soundtrack for this title to listen to independently of the game itself. But it just doesn't jive with me when mixed with the final product, which is a throwback JRPG.

In short, give me some woodwinds or at least some cool synths /shrug

Yeah, its a great soundtrack...but could've used alot more instrumental diversity.

Hikami

Played for about an hour, trying to take it slow since I've heard it's short. I'm loving it. The soundtrack especially.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Oh wow first Ive heard of this game. I need to get this.

Sorry if it has been answered before. Is there much performance difference in the ps4/pc?

Apt101

Seems a bit pricey still

According to Kotaku it's around 20 hours. And after playing around 8 or 9 myself, it has some depth and it's a great game. I've spent $40 or more on games that were far, faaaaaar worse. This is pretty great. I'd rate it about 8/10 so far - and I'm whiny and hard to please when it comes to RPGs.

Oh wow first Ive heard of this game. I need to get this.

Sorry if it has been answered before. Is there much performance difference in the ps4/pc?

I've seen it supports up to a 4K resolution on PC, and haven't heard anyone complain about performance.

It runs perfectly on PS4 and looks great. Not sure of the framerate, though with the art and style it doesn't really matter IMO.

Hmmm that's interesting to read about the different experiences with Flux. I'm only 3.5 hours in but I've gotten quite a few already. Strangely I've gotten a lot for the MC and the other swordsman but only one for Setsuna.

I didn't get any for my first 4-ish hours, then after meeting
Kir the mage child
I suddenly started getting inundated with them for every character - usually getting one every five or six fights now.

Copper

Just played the first hour. Pretty impressed so far. Music is great, combat is fun, story seems interesting so far.

Games feels really relaxing to play. I really miss JRPG's like this. No fluff just straight story.

Mothman91

Ok can someone explain flux bonus and bonus effect on rings? The merchant who was selling talismans I couldn't grasp how he was explaining them.

SephLuis

Ok can someone explain flux bonus and bonus effect on rings? The merchant who was selling talismans I couldn't grasp how he was explaining them.

Bonus Effects are automatically triggered when the talismans are equipped.

Flux are the bonuses that can be given to skills. There is chance that at the end of the battle, a skill you used will receive the flux bonus permanently.

For example, if you have a talisman with MP Bonus, then all skills you use with the equipped character have a chance to receive that MP Bonus, thus decreasing the cost of said skill.

Apt101

Does anyone have the trophy list for this game? I am thinking about going for the platinum.

Can you use momentum in combos? I can't get the timing right it seems, but I do tend to mash square.

I am pretty sure I scored a momentum during a combo. Perhaps both characters need to have a momentum charge ready, and not just the one initiating it?

Top Bottom