• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ate the “Impossible Whopper” at BK

juliotendo

Burger King has a new whopper on their menu, item #5 to be exact.

It is a vegan whopper. I tried it yesterday and I must say for a meatless burger it is one of the better ones but I can tell it isn’t real meat. A lot of people have claimed it tastes exactly like a real whopper and that’s bogus, I can easily tell the difference.

Not bad though. I still prefer the meat whopper.

BKImpossible_Lead.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Good to hear that its alright. We have a black bean burger at BK and its literally just like the frozen veggie patties you get at the supermarket. Not good.

Burger King has a new whopper on their menu, item #5 to be exact.

It is a vegan whopper. I tried it yesterday and I must say for a meatless burger it is one of the better ones but I can tell it isn’t real meat. A lot of people have claimed it tastes exactly like a real whopper and that’s bogus, I can easily tell the difference.

Not bad though. I still prefer the meat whopper.

BKImpossible_Lead.jpg

Yeah, I bring this up every time a thread like this pops up, but for my money the Impossible Burger is the best, by far, non-meat burger. I've tried most of them, and it's just my opinion, but Impossible Burger nails the taste and texture better than all the others, to me.

I still wouldn't go to a fast food place for one, but I like that they added the option

juliotendo

It has the same size and texture as a real whopper and even the grill marks. You could not tell them apart visually next to each other.

It tastes similar to the real whopper however if you’re a meat eater you WILL taste the difference.

I would rate it a 8/10 because I probably wouldn’t order it again but for a meatless option it’s the best one I’ve ever eaten.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
It has the same size and texture as a real whopper and even the grill marks. You could not tell them apart visually next to each other.

It tastes similar to the real whopper however if you’re a meat eater you WILL taste the difference.

I would rate it a 8/10 because I probably wouldn’t order it again but for a meatless option it’s the best one I’ve ever eaten.
Important question. Did your nipples get hard while eating this burger? If they did, then I know it was a worthy purchase, and I will want to try the burger then too.

CyberPanda

Banned
What if his nipples are always hard, no matter what?
That means he has good circulation, and he’s always turned on by the wind hitting his nipples, or his shirt caressing his nips ever so gently.

They did get a little hard I heard this is a common reaction. They were so hard I had to dip my nipples in barbecue sauce cups to numb them down.

Beautiful. Thank you Nipple God.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I haven't tried the Whopper version, but other IBs I've eaten were very clearly not meat by taste. It was pretty close though, and that's a commendable goal.

Im curious to know what the calorie difference is. Is it the better choice if trying to lose weight?

The Impossible Whopper is healthier on some counts but not on others. It's 630 calories, compared to 660 calories for a meat-based Whopper. It's lower in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol. But it's higher in sodium and carbohydrates. The burgers have about the same amount of protein.

Teslerum

I still don't understand meat substitutes.

I mean just, why? Whenever I go to a vegan place that would be the last thing I order.

I mean just, why? Whenever I go to a vegan place that would be the last thing I order.

I think the point is for non-meat eaters to get good sources of protein (albeit plant/vegetable based, I assume) while trying to mimic taste and texture of meals they have given up.

I eat chicken and turkey in small portions usually once a day, and I also have Gardein products in my freezer. The chick’n sliders are the best, taste like regular chicken sliders, others not so much. Beyond Burger and Impossible products are great (or are they the same brand?)

CyberPanda

Banned
I think the point is for non-meat eaters to get good sources of protein (albeit plant/vegetable based, I assume) while trying to mimic taste and texture of meals they have given up.

I eat chicken and turkey in small portions usually once a day, and I also have Gardein products in my freezer. The chick’n sliders are the best, taste like regular chicken sliders, others not so much. Beyond Burger and Impossible products are great (or are they the same brand?)
Yea, I have nothing against meat substitutes. I prefer the real thing, but it’s always nice to have varied selections when eating out. Especially if one is vegan or vegetarian.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Fake meat can get fucked!

Vegetarians and vegans, quit trying to imitate the thing you don’t want to consume.

Probably has more to do with producing a sustainable, environmentally friendly food source and less so about appeasing the palate of discerning vegetarians. Those tasty cows are going to be the end of us.

Teslerum

Yea, I have nothing against meat substitutes. I prefer the real thing, but it’s always nice to have varied selections when eating out. Especially if one is vegan or vegetarian.

But theres so much possible variation and recipes already around that don't just try to mimic meat.
I mean one thing I can give vegans credit to is that they have come up with a bunch of new tasty, original recipes with tons of textures and tastes.

Last edited:
Probably has more to do with producing a sustainable, environmentally friendly food source and less so about appeasing the palate of discerning vegetarians. Those tasty cows are going to be the end of us.

Going vegetarian isn’t the environmental get-out-jail free card people think it is. There is plenty of destruction of our ecosystems due to industrial farming. It hurts our water supplies, causes waste runoff, deforestation, kills the soils, etc.

You don’t ever see meat eaters trying to make beef or pork taste like a carrot or broccoli.

I mean, in fairness, it's not always a choice. People with heart issues, specifically heart attack survivors for example, typically are recommended to either eliminate meat completely or cut drastically down heavily on animal products in general.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I typically have a small serving of chicken and turkey once a day but the rest of my meals are vegetarian.

For many people, including myself, it's not a "think of the poor animals!" protest, it's just a personal health decision.

I guess maybe I caught a whiff of "hating on vegetarian diets" going on here and got a little defensive, even though I am not a strict vegetarian.

I think there are many valid reasons for these products to exist, that's all.

I mean, in fairness, it's not always a choice. People with heart issues, specifically heart attack survivors for example, typically are recommended to either eliminate meat completely or cut drastically down heavily on animal products in general.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I typically have a small serving of chicken and turkey once a day but the rest of my meals are vegetarian.

For many people, including myself, it's not a "think of the poor animals!" protest, it's just a personal health decision.

I guess maybe I caught a whiff of "hating on vegetarian diets" going on here and got a little defensive, even though I am not a strict vegetarian.

I think there are many valid reasons for these products to exist, that's all.

Sorry, I was just being an edgelord. I’ve actually been doing a diet similar to yours and have been trying to cut down on animal products. It’s a little challenging sometimes though.

edit: Though I’d argue the people who have had heart attacks probably had inflammation from high sugar diets or other things such as genetics. The animal products on top of that probably didn’t help. High fat and cholesterol on its own isn’t necessarily bad but if someone’s arteries are inflamed those things will act to bind and repair that damage which is how arterial plaque is formed.

edit 2: diets are better when foods are added in rather than eliminated, meaning, if you’re a meat eater you would benefit from adding more fresh leafy green vegetables and other foods with plant sterols. I don’t see a net benefit in eliminating meat as much as possible when you can just add more of the thing you need.

Last edited:

juliotendo

The impossible whopper I believe is a dollar more than the regular whopper.

In terms of calories it is apparently less but once you add the mayonnaise and optional cheese it’s essentially the same thing.

I’m not a vegan or vegetarian but Burger King is smart to offer this because it’s really not that bad and it’s also an actual menu number now which is crazy.

I wouldn’t order it again because the real whopper is so much better.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Cool idea to get more customers who normally wouldn't eat at the resturaunt, but a non-meat burger is still a non-meat burger. It is definitely the best I have had, but that isn't say a lot. If anything it is a 3/10 for burgers while the whopper is a 5/10.

ROMhack

Fake meat is getting better, burgers in particular. They were the only thing I missed when I stopped consuming the innards of landbeasts eating meat.

Ten_Fold

I’ve tried it an I just don’t like the taste of vegan burgers, wasn’t my first but it will probably be my last lol

Top Bottom