• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought the new Rolling Stone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon

With Johnny Depp on the cover.

Here's a list of all the main stories and interviews, one by one :

- An article about Dominic Monaghan, the least important of the LOTR elves.
- A 3-page insight on Bush reinstating the draft.
- The in-depth cover story on Johnny Depp.
- The story of Joe Clarke, a "snitch in the gov's war on drugs"
- And last, but certainly, certainly not least, a 6-page catastrophe about whales. Whales.

I always knew Rolling Stone tends to deviate from the music a little sometimes...but try as I may, I still sat on the crapper, bored out of my mind, I couldn't believe that I was holding a Rolling Stone. Then I slowly realized that for the first time ever, I have no desire to read even a single page of an entire magazine that I bought.

I mean, whales.....

ToxicAdam

Didn't RS have a format change a few years ago? Where they weren't so story heavy, and had more "blurbs" (ala Blender)?

Anyways, how you described RS .. is how I always remembered it. Sometimes the issue would be awesome ... but most of the time it is exactly how you described it.

The only reason to ever read a RS (10 years ago) was for a Peter Travers movie review .. or a PJ O'Rourke column ... and once a year, they would have a good article on a relevent rock group .. or an expose on drug running or something.

My girlfriend's parents got me a two-year subscription to Rolling Stone for Christmas, so far I've received two issues and they haven't been too bad.

The one prior to the Depp cover had a nice article on Bright Eyes, plus an interesting take on the social security debacle by a Harvard Economist.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
You can't possibly buy a RS and expect significant music coverage (although your article summary leaves out their usual music news, album reviews, etc.). It's not what the magazine is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom