• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I challenged a fraudulent purchase from my PSN account and won, and now my account has been banned

A few nights ago someone purchased Last Guardian on my account which I didn't find out till the next day. So I challenged the payment which was made through Paypal and they found in my favour today.

But now when I try to login it get this error 'You can't access PlayStation Network. You have either requested your account to be closed or have been banned for violating the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement.'

Has anyone been through this before or could advise me on what to do get it re-instated? Thanks

Ar¢tos

Contact Sony support. You shouldn't have done anything about the payment before contacting Sony. Accounts are auto banned if a payment is cancelled after a purchase is complete.

DeviantBoi

Contact Sony customer support. I think you'll have to add the amount of the transaction to your account before they can begin to process your unban. Then they can work with you on the fraudulent purchase.

And be sure you have 2FA activated on your account.

nowhat

As others have suggested, you should contact Sony support.

This, this, thisthisthis. There's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't have it enabled. Instructions can be found here. Also, your password is likely compromised (you used the same password elsewhere, didn't you?). Check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - you'll likely be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
As others have suggested, you should contact Sony support.

This, this, thisthisthis. There's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't have it enabled. Instructions can be found here. Also, your password is likely compromised (you used the same password elsewhere, didn't you?). Check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - you'll likely be unpleasantly surprised.

No pwnage found actually but yeah I'm guilty of doubling up on passwords

nowhat

No pwnage found actually but yeah I'm guilty of doubling up on passwords
It's not an absolute resource - smaller breaches may not get published, or they may not be publicly known yet. I still suggesting registering your e-mail address there, just as a precaution. At one point (yes, I previously recycled the same password too many times as well) I got a mail from them, telling me nexusmods.com had been hacked. As I couldn't remember when I registered there (nor why even, I've been so out of the PC scene that my last dedicated GPU was an AGP GT 6600) I basically shrugged it off. It took maybe a day or two for both my Netflix and Skype accounts to be suspended due to suspicious activity.

Tommi84

So I challenged the payment which was made through Paypal and they found in my favour today.
Never, NEVER challenge the payment through Paypal. It's actually not their fault - your PSN acct was hacked, not Paypal - and chargebacks are know cause of auto-ban on PSN account. Contact Sony about it, but be prepared to pay the debit on the account, before you can use it again.

Also, chargebacks are REALLY serious for the company that was accused of false charges. If they reach a certain threshold, card manufacturers may impose charges on the company (and no, it's not $1k ;) )

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

We see this nearly weekly here and people still do charge backs, still don't have 2FA on, and they still get shocked when they get banned... I don't get it.

We see this nearly weekly here and people still do charge backs, still don't have 2FA on, and they still get shocked when they get banned... I don't get it.

Point me to the next most recent thread where this has happened to someone?
Never, NEVER challenge the payment through Paypal. It's actually not their fault - your PSN acct was hacked, not Paypal - and chargebacks are know cause of auto-ban on PSN account. Contact Sony about it, but be prepared to pay the debit on the account, before you can use it again.

Also, chargebacks are REALLY serious for the company that was accused of false charges. If they reach a certain threshold, card manufacturers may impose charges on the company (and no, it's not $1k ;) )

Yeah I guess I fucked up by challenging through PayPal.

Trogdor1123

Point me to the next most recent thread where this has happened to someone?

Yeah I guess I fucked up by challenging through PayPal.

Its a quick search away. Im sure you will find lots. Big you are new here, I take it back but if you have been here even for a while you should know this and how these work. If you don't have 2fa on yet, do it right now.

I truly hope it works out for you.

Its a quick search away. Im sure you will find lots. Big you are new here, I take it back but if you have been here even for a while you should know this and how these work. If you don't have 2fa on yet, do it right now.

I truly hope it works out for you.
I can't login so I can't enable 2 step authentication

nowhat

I can't login so I can't enable 2 step authentication
So, when for example you're trying to login to the PSN store, there's that "Trouble signing in?" link. Click that, then "Reset your password". You'll receive a new password in an e-mail and will be able to login again.

Unless you used the same password for PSN and you e-mail, in which case... abandon all hope, I guess?

Edit: but if your login problems are due to the ban, then Sony support it is.

Last edited:

NickFire

Always contact Sony first. In my experience they have been pretty fair to work with. They've even helped me out when I bought a game and it went on sale the next week. Despite their terms of service, they strike me as having a customer first attitude, at least if you buy games from them regularly, and stay polite.

So, when for example you're trying to login to the PSN store, there's that "Trouble signing in?" link. Click that, then "Reset your password". You'll receive a new password in an e-mail and will be able to login again.

Unless you used the same password for PSN and you e-mail, in which case... abandon all hope, I guess?

Edit: but if your login problems are due to the ban, then Sony support it is.

Yep same passwords :s

Contact Sony customer support. I think you'll have to add the amount of the transaction to your account before they can begin to process your unban. Then they can work with you on the fraudulent purchase.

I didn't have this switched on. I do now.

Thanks for the heads up and again to the poster above who linked the setup page.

fbutron

For unbanning your account they will require you to pay again the amount refunded, and after the process is complete you will ask for the refund to Sony, additional step I know but that is the process. In your case i better keep the game and take the "loss", lesson learned activate 2FA and change passwords.

BANGS

Banned
I challenged it on Paypal.
U done fucked up. Hopefully if you plead to the almighty Sony they'll help you out, but don't expect much...

On a much more significant note, who the f*** hacked both your PSN AND paypal accounts to make this happen?

nowhat

On a much more significant note, who the f*** hacked both your PSN AND paypal accounts to make this happen?
I mean, (s)he already admitted using the same password in PSN and the e-mail account, so... perhaps there was very little hacking involved. I'm guessing more a leak from a $RANDOM_WEBSITE.

nowhat

soooo... phished?
More likely just reusing the same username (i.e. email address) and password too many times. Some insignificant site with your info gets hacked. Said site doesn't hash passwords at all, or uses an obsolete algorithm and/or no salt. Boom, your entire digital self pwned.

Protip: don't use the same password across sites. Even if you do, do not use your primary email password anywhere else.
Edit: and oh, naturally, enable 2FA wherever available. Sadly this is far too uncommon.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Protip: don't use the same password across sites. Even if you do, do not use your primary email password anywhere else.
I like to live dangerously... If I had to create 50 passwords for every website I regularly visit, then I'd have to make a file with those passwords that could easily be stolen and fuck me possibly even harder...

Definitely agree with the 2FA tho...

Last edited:

bigedole

This thread just got me to enable 2FA on my PSN account as well as change my primary email password (which was shared with PSN and another service). Keep up the good work fellas!

JP

The reason it will have been temporarily locked is because PayPal will have withdrawn the funds from Sony without authorisation. With people who have done this in the past they'll unlock the account when you've paid the money that you've taken from them.

What you did is considered a last resort, when you do it you're essentially telling the company that you're taking the money from that you're ending your relationship done as what you've done is there for very specific reasons, one of them being that you've paid a company for something and they've gone bankrupt before fulfilling their end of that contract.

It's not an option to refund an should never really be treated as if it is.

I hope you sort it out though.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Sorry to hear that happen to you OP, if Sony had a refund policy this could have easily been avoided, hope you get your account back. I took my payment info off PSN ever since the great PSN hack/outage of 2011.

WaterAstro

Well, there's really no need to panic. Customer service will just take care of it. It's not like they permanently wiped your account from the face of the Earth.
Sorry to hear that happen to you OP, if Sony had a refund policy this could have easily been avoided, hope you get your account back. I took my payment info off PSN ever since the great PSN hack/outage of 2011.
Time of purchase is outside any no-hassle refund policy window. Refund policy most likely will never help for any fraudulent charges.

Leonidas

Time of purchase is outside any no-hassle refund policy window. Refund policy most likely will never help for any fraudulent charges.

He said it happened a few days ago, Steam and Microsoft both have 14 day return policy's as long as the game has been played less than 2 hours.

Thanks guys for not being too harsh on my stupidty in this thread. I'll really have to step up my password 2FA game from now on. Probably a good wake up call for me.

Also I hate how PayPal now pushes the 1 click payment authorisation. We should be working to be make cybersecurity more robust, not easier to compromise!

Last edited:

Leonidas

Dude, the guy hacked the account. Obviously, it's been played.

OP found out the next day, we don't know how fast the hackers internet is, it's a 13 GB game, you can't say for certain the hacker played the game for 2 hours. If there was a refund policy on PSN there is a chance OP could have avoided this...

WaterAstro

OP found out the next day, we don't know how fast the hackers internet is, it's a 13 GB game, you can't say for certain the hacker played the game for 2 hours. If there was a refund policy on PSN there is a chance OP could have avoided this...
Like if a thief who steals a piece of bread doesn't eat it right away. lol
Or a pickpocket that nabs a credit card waits a week before using it.
Or a robber who mugged for an expensive watch and waits for the police to be alerted before pawning it off.

Leonidas

Like if a thief who steals a piece of bread doesn't eat it right away. lol
Or a pickpocket that nabs a credit card waits a week before using it.
Or a robber who mugged for an expensive watch and waits for the police to be alerted before pawning it off.

I doubt the thief ignored OPs other PSN games and went through the trouble of hacking an account just to steal one discounted game...

There's a chance the thief didn't even play TLG yet, you don't know.

Top Bottom