• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I Don’t Care How Hard It Was To Make The Revenant' (Reason for film's backlash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/i-dont-care-how-hard-it-was-to-make-the-revenant

If you follow entertainment news at all you know one thing for sure about The Revenant: it was very hard to make. It was apparently a major torture session and Leonardo DiCaprio ate a bison liver for real. It was also super duper cold out there. Talking to Yahoo, Leonardo DiCaprio said:

“I can name 30 or 40 sequences that were some of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do. Whether it’s going in and out of frozen rivers, or sleeping in animal carcasses, or what I ate on set. [I was] enduring freezing cold and possible hypothermia constantly.”

He says that shooting the bear attack scene was 'agonizing.' One crewmember told the Hollywood Reporter that shooting the movie was 'a living hell.' Every day I look at the internet and I see similar stories about how much Leo suffered for this role, about how hard it was to make the film, about the difficult locations and bitter cold and the maniacal vision of director Alejandro González Iñárritu that took the movie over budget and over schedule. And every day I look at these articles and tweets and I think to myself, 'Who gives a shit?'

The emphasis on how hard The Revenant was to make is partially about a departure from the digital. It's the same reason The Hateful Eight's 70mm run is such a discussion point - it's about tactile reality returning to our movie screens. The promise of The Revenant is that the crew went there and did those things, and that Leo is having those experiences. It's intended as a shortcut to truth - "He actually was in the freezing water so you're truly seeing what a guy who grew up in the bubble of Hollywood looks like when he gets very, very cold!" - and it's intended as a counter to all of the CGI fakery that infects our theaters this days... although the whole movie is color graded and post-production fiddled with to within an inch of its life, so any idea that this movie is somehow more analog than Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a farce. And as anyone who has ever watched a profound movie shot on a soundstage, really doing the things doesn't make their depiction any more truthful. I will always support films that shoot real things, but let's not get that confused with emotional honesty, which is the true mission of all cinema.

The difficulty narrative is also part of Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar campaign. Going the martyr route is a good choice when it comes to end-of-the-year awards, as actors who gain or lose weight or ugly themselves up or walk in a limp get taken way more seriously than actors who come in, do great and emotionally truthful work and then go home for the night. But I'm not interested in Leo's Oscar chances. I don't care about them. I care about the movie The Revenant, and what it's about, and how, if at all, the arduous process of making this movie informed the film, how it in any way impacts me as an audience member.

The reality is that it doesn't. If anything it kind of sinks the movie for me; when you watch Apocalypse Now the absolute swirling madness of that production is there onscreen, in the performances, in the atmosphere. But it's a movie about madness, so it all works. When you watch The Revenant you're very aware that you're watching a stunt show, that you're watching a high-profile, highly-paid actor putting himself through some dares. When DiCaprio eats a raw bison liver he vomits, which the actor says was his true reaction to biting into the actual steaming organ. But here's the thing: would that have been mountain man Hugh Glass' reaction? Watching The Revenant is like watching Leonardo DiCaprio's Very Bad Vacation, not like watching the survival saga of a man born to the wild. There is certainly physical reality onscreen but I'm not sure there's emotional truth.Weirdly enough Tom Cruise's high profile M:I stunts feel like they have more truth to them if only because the character of Ethan Hunt is just Tom Cruise with a nom du spy, as far as we can tell. It's bizarre, but Cruise hanging off a plane in Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation has more honesty and meaning to it than every single discomfort suffered by DiCaprio in The Revenant.

and the sad thing about it is leo will prob get an oscar this year because of this 'difficulty' even though he has given much better (and more honest) performances before the revenant.

Oh those poor actors, the things they have to do for millions of dollars.
Movie was pretty awesome thou.....because of the cinematography mainly.

McDougles

Social progressiveness / even slightly anti-war / actors presented as someone wholly unlike themselves will triumph over "it was hard."

Look for Redmayne to
undeservingly
win a second straight Oscar for The Danish Girl.

That's what I've been saying for awhile. The "The Revenant deserves best picture because it was a hard shoot." Is the "metal is the best genre because it requires the most skill" argument of film.

All that matters is the final piece, the production stories are interesting but also irrelevant to the quality of the final film.

I feel like the writer of the article read all these things about the making of the movie and then watched it with the intention of hating it. I dont agree with anything he said in the last paragraph you quoted. Very aware you're watching a stunt show? I didnt feel that way at all.

This is already starting to feel like a gaming side review thread. GAF can't really handle criticism they don't agree with.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Tbh i thought it was leos best performance. Conveyed so much with hardly any dialouge. And I find the shooting process to be interesting.

Faraci is someone who I think generally has the SEEDS of interesting ideas, but comes across as a terrible dude. I think there is a dialogue to be had about the tribulations involved in making a movie being irrelevant to the final result, but it serves no one except him to be this inflammatory.

I didn't even know there was backlash to The Revenant. What is that all about?

Also, I thought the movie was crazy and insane, in a good way. I'd like to see it again in theaters if I get the chance.

As the biggest detractor of Devin Faraci on gaf I have to say he actually gets it right this time. I usually agree with him once a year. Didn't expect it to happen so early into 2016.

Broken clock and all that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I remember a similar sentiment among people when Boyhood was released.

marzlapin

Agree with a lot of those points but not with the argument that there wasn't any "emotional truth" to the performances. Yes, Leo's performance was total Oscar bait. No, that doesn't make it bad or hollow. I think the reviewer's interpretation is being clouded by his cynicism.

The decision to shoot the movie in the way they did added a lot to it, not in terms of "emotional honesty" but in terms of mood, and scene. The setting ended up being almost a character itself. This type of production isn't a necessity to achieve truth in whatever emotion the film is aiming for, it's just another way to get there.

Also, about the bison liver scene, I interpreted him throwing it up as a natural reaction from someone who hasn't eaten solid food for days on end.

honestly I watched the movie and thought it was great, but so much of the movie was Leo breathing. I don't think I ever saw on-screen acting from him that made me go "this is the best he has ever been". He didn't play the same role he loves to do. It was probably the best that Tom Hardy has been in, but everyone else was just ok.

Leo might win it because of the story behind it over how much effort he put, but as others said in the thread when I posted it might double as a lifetime oscar, where he simply has had so many opportunities to win it that he'll finally have one. This is his Dallas Buyer's Club, but it's nowhere near that level of great acting.

Toparaman

Banned
Haven't seen it yet, but I totally relate to what he's saying about excessive color grading and post production detracting from a film's naturalism. I felt the same way about Fury Road. It looked like tons of CG even though I knew from the internet that 90 percent of it was on-camera. When the behind-the-scenes footage looks more impressive than the actual movie, you have a problem.

Color grading gets abused so much. It's an instant turn-off for me in a film. It's like instagram filters: they're supposed to add authenticity, but has the opposite effect instead.

Ridley327

TBH, I've never given a lot of thought with regards to how difficult it was for any piece of media to come into existence in the overall appraisal, outside of a general interest in behind-the-scenes stories. That being said, the difficulties surrounding The Revenant left me with the impression that Iñárritu and co. really didn't have much of a game plan in place except to keep shooting and shooting and shooting, which explains a lot of the issues I have with the film as a whole.

ShowDog

I'll be honest this movie didn't really do it for me. I saw a late show and was literally nodding off, not sure if I should blame the movie or myself. I'll go with 50/50.

But Tom Hardy was basically illegible and annoyed me, Leo was basically silent or grunting the entire time and the frozen landscapes were pretty in a sterile kind of way but the entire thing looked way too digital for me. It reminded me of watching a (really superb) home video and I would've much preferred a more film-like feel for that type of setting.

So all told it was ok.

The hype does feel over the top.

Edit: not feeling great about saying it looked like a home movie. Better to say it felt like I was actually there. Like actually on the set, watching actors act. Not a good feeling. Perhaps the perfectionist post-production and color grading is to blame? I can be fully immersed without having to feel like I'm standing right next to an actor reciting his lines (or grunts). It really took me out of the movie.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Which half? :p

the first. Reading how hellish the making of Revenant has been has become a bit tiresome for me, yeah ok, Leo ate a bison penis and half the troupe died in some blizzard, we get it. It doesn't elevate the movie to some epic status because of it. It's publicity, but damn, who really gives a shit

and hey bro :=)

Moonkid

Some fair points but having seen the film without any knowledge about how difficult the shoot was or anything like that I can't really empathise. In the wise words of Kevin Parker, the less I know the better.

MilkBeard

Just watched this today. I really enjoyed it. Some people can never just enjoy things.
Yup. And i never heard about the film's struggles until after i watched it. And before then, the movie felt real to me, at least the setting and what Glass went through.

Its quite the trend to write a contrarian article and take a negative hipster approach.

I think Leo is long overdue for an Oscar, myself.

I'm sure the shoot was tough. But then again, it could've been underwater. If you want to see a film that was gruelling to make, check out the making of The Abyss documentary. That film looked like pure hell to be on.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
If a film's quality was measured by "how hard it was to make" then Roar would undoubtedly be heralded as the greatest movie of all time. It's a poor argument to use to push a film or anything really.

Dominator

Faraci is such a dope.

None of what I heard from the cast or crew informed my feelings on the film. Not even a little bit. Seems like he went in with certain feelings from the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom