• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand why people hate Scarface

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
I love that movie and I must have watched at least 10 times. It's an interesting storyline; Tony Montana is a very charismatic self-made character who started from nothing but ends up sabotaging himself due to his own greed. I love how everything feels like a snapshot of that particular era; the sets, the super over the top houses. Some people don't like the soundtrack but I like the synth heavy sounds.

I also don't understand or even see why people think that Tony has an incestuous kind of love for his sister; it's pretty obvious in every scene that he's incredibly super over-protective of her. He doesn't want her to date thugs like him; he does not want her to become like him or the people he rolls with.

I don't think that he kills Manolo out of anger because 'he's doing his sister', its just out of being pissed off because she's dating a thug like him, that all of this has been happening behind his back while he trusted Manolo to take care of her, and while all this has been happening, he's been having troubles with that cartel guy and screwed the bomb mission. Manolo wasn't there with him when this happened to back him up. And of course all this stress + cartel guy problems + drugs leads to Tony losing hsi mind and killing his best friend. WIthout Manolo, Tony is nothing. He kept him grounded. You can tell he regrets killing him.

He's a very conflicted character which makes it great. He's not an hero, and the movie does not glorify his lifestyle. You think that he's going to make it, he's so convinced he's smarter than everybody, so rich, so invincible, he finally has it all, but he ends up getting himself, his sister, his best friend, all of his boys from Cuba horribly killed by the cartel commandos. It's all his own damn fault and he ended up getting killed by another bigger lion; in a similar way to how he killed his own boss. After all, he is nothing special. He's just a bigger pawn than the others in the underworld and that's it.

I liked the message

It's a pop art masterpiece

Would be Brian de palma's greatest thing ever if it wasn't for blow out

You're right, it pretty much is the perfect snapshot of the 80s

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When he blows the door open and says: "Say hello to my little friend!", I would've just dropped my gun on the floor and ran out the building.

Sapiens

Hate? The giant decorative 'Scarface' blankets continually on sale at the local strip mall say otherwise.

I don't mind the movie but I do hate the hero worship that Tony gets from the general public. He's a drug dealer, thug and a tragic character. I like his arc but I don't want to be like him.

The sister incest stems from the original script I believe. They obviously tone it down in the remake.

Either people took more away from it than Stone and De Palma had intended, or hate how misinterpreted the messages and themes of the movie are. Or people can't appreciate Pacino's campy Cuban accent.

It's definitely a favorite of my family and it's always my go-to "I feel like watching something but I don't know what" movie. I don't think the Blu-ray got a great transfer though, but it came in a nice steelbook.

GusBus

Who hates Scarface? It's a critically acclaimed classic film, with lines that have been quoted in every specter of pop-culture for decades.
It's also a damn good flick.

It's really simple :

carlito.preview.jpg

I don't mind the movie but I do hate the hero worship that Tony gets from the general public. He's a drug dealer, thug and a tragic character. I like his arc but I don't want to be like him.

Seems like some people will forgive (or ignore) a character's tragic flaws and mistakes if he's shown to rise from rags to riches. See: Great Gatsby.

NekoFever

The hero worship of Tony Montana from people who completely missed the point is kind of annoying, but it's a great movie. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it in that respect.

Alphahawk

I also don't understand or even see why people think that Tony has an incestuous kind of love for his sister; it's pretty obvious in every scene that he's incredibly super over-protective of her. He doesn't want her to date thugs like him; he does not want her to become like him or the people he rolls with.

You can not get it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. The sister subplot is a hold over from the 1932 version, and the idea is that gangsters don't give a fuck about social norms, they'll fall madly in love with whomever, society be damned. Obviously in the 1980s this was seen as gross but in 1932 it was badass.

marrec

Banned
Pretty crappy movie. The characters, story, and dialog exchange are all terrible.

This is only true when viewed through the lense of modern day Tony Montana worship.

Separate yourself from the culture surrounding the movie, watch it as it was meant to be watched, and you'll realize it's a pretty good movie.

This is only true when viewed through the lense of modern day Tony Montana worship.

Separate yourself from the culture surrounding the movie, watch it as it was meant to be watched, and you'll realize it's a pretty good movie.
Nope, saw it when I was young and hated it. Watched it again when I was older and still found it terrible. Then when it became exceedingly popular I watched it with friends and left mid showing. It's just bad in my opinion.

People hate Scarface? I quite literally thought I was the only one. Every time I bring up my dislike for the film I am greeted with faces of shock and horror.

lil smoke

Banned
Hate Scarface?

Where I'm from that along with Colors and Boyz In... those are rites of passage.

This must be some new hipster thing.

UrbanRats

It's incredibly entertaining.

It's also the masturbatory power fantasy of a lot of (real) gangsters, so i guess that's why some people hate it.

marrec

Banned
It's incredibly entertaining.

It's also the masturbatory power fantasy of a lot of (real) gangsters, so i guess that's why some people hate it.

A lot of fake gangsters like to try to masturbate to it too.

Hell, in Eastern New Mexico there was a shop in every mall dedicated to Tony Montana being airbrushed on everything in sight.

If you mean Scarface the movie then I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never met a single person that has seen Scarface and didn't like it.

If you're talking about Tony Montana - I'd imagine its because he's a hot head with no sense of humor, prone to random of acts of violent, takes huge quantities of drugs, super greedy, and is generally evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom