• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand why people hate Scarface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's a classic but it is overrated.

I like Carlito's Way more.
CW stomps all over Scarface, the character connection goes way better in that movie, I actually feel sad as hell every single time during the train scene

Ridley327

It seems like this place can't appreciate style > substance movies unless Ryan Gosling's goofy ass is in it

If you don't like the movie you have to at least recognize that it was shot quite well. De Palma always was an interesting visual director

The problem is having three hours of nothing but nice shots and little else to chew on gets a bit tiring at the halfway mark. Just to use your example, imagine if Drive was three hours long and had the same story progression; do you think that wouldn't be met with a lot due criticism?

kmfdmpig

I like the 1932 one more than the 1983 one.

I also suspect that Scarface was the beginning of the end of Al Pacino as a good actor. He had some good roles afterwards, but more and more he embraced the caricatured version of himself to the point that the theater I watched Heat in would laugh at overacting Al regularly.

1983 Scarface is not bad, but it's certainly overrated.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Scarface is in my top 5 if not my FAVORITE film of all time. I have owned every single version of the film and have very little doubt that anyone on this forum has seen it more than me(I've seen it well over 100 times easily).

I used to be obsessed with the movie. I literally used to get paid from other students in high school to imitate Tony Montana, I was so good at doing him. I know every line from the film and can recite the script almost word for word.

The point is, you had to have been there to experience it growing up. I was 13 when the film came out and immediately fell in love with it. Have I ever wanted to truly "BE" Tony Montana or idolized his character? No, but I'll be DAMNED if Scarface isn't one of the greatest, most enjoyable films of all time.

Stone and DePalmer made a masterpiece, and created an extremely iconic and memorable character. Pacino delivered one of the greatest performances in film history.

"Hate" Scarface? LOL yeah, we probably wouldn't get along too well IRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom