• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally worked out why Dark Knight Rises irritates me (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that show kind of made me think johnathan nolan might be pretty conservative. I'm actually surprised that they destroy the machine in TDK. I wonder if he was persuaded to by goyer or somebody else.

Yep. I mean all the later philosophical stuff with Samaritan vs. The Machine aside, some of the instances of 'rich white dude knows what's best for absolutely everyone' were pretty horrifying.

There's so many plot holes and stupidity in the film that I can't even get into all of it. The cops charging like Braveheart, the cops all getting trapped in the sewer, the dumb Wall Street type heist, the opening scene, etc. Ultimately, it feels like a 25 percent tomatometer film, and if not for Nolan's name and the goodwill from the Dark Knight, it may have been like that. I can't believe it actually got an 87 percent fresh rating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
KVYxL39.png

Best opening 15 min and best closing I have ever seen in a movie, period.

Also Bat v Bane fight is one of the most well written scenes I have ever witnessed. The dialogue is legend.

Thorgal

I simply could not take Bane serious as a villain .

Every time he opened his mouth the mask always made him sound like he is on Helium the entire time .

protip :if you want your villain to come across as a scary or Bad-ass Motherfucker , don't give him a silly voice .

Sephzilla

I simply could not take Bane serious as a villain .

Every time he opened his mouth the mask always made him sound like he is on Helium the entire time .

protip :if you want your villain to come across as a scary or Bad-ass Motherfucker , don't give him a silly voice .

And don't put a Mortal Kombat jock strap on his face

jelly

There's so many plot holes and stupidity in the film that I can't even get into all of it. The cops charging like Braveheart, the cops all getting trapped in the sewer, the dumb Wall Street type heist, the opening scene, etc. Ultimately, it feels like a 25 percent tomatometer film, and if not for Nolan's name and the goodwill from the Dark Knight, it may have been like that. I can't believe it actually got an 87 percent fresh rating.

Yeah, there is far too much wrong with it, simple stuff that you can't believe was allowed to happen. I don't think anybody wanted to do that film, very sloppy.

Can't say I really agree with you, I'd have to rewatch DKR though to freshen up, but what makes the movie salvageable is Gotham by the end being back to the same cycle of escalation and idolatry that caused the same problems as before. A sour ending, for sure, but a lesser movie would have made it all "a-ok" by the end, instead of just leaving Bruce with a happy ending.

As for Bane, I'm split on hating and loving the key moment where he becomes fake Bane: when Talia is revealed/hinted at, he his deflated like a hot air balloon and becomes just a goon that can be easily thrown around. even his words ring hollow afterwards.

It's not a as well thought up movie as Dark Knight, but for the sheer ambition of it I still quite enjoy it. That and both Joker and Bane were fantastic villains that struck a chord with people and an actual modern anxiety.

You make good points but the point of the League of Shadows in the Batman universe is to purge civilizations that are corrupt or crime ridden, the Gotham wealthy were taking advantage of the system so the LOS decided to finish the job Ra's al Ghul attempted to do in Begins. In Batman Begins for example the Mob was in control of most of the city and the cops were corrupt so Ra's and the LOS felt it was necessary to wipe Gotham off the face of the map. I will admit it is funny how a wealthy billionaire is necessary to save Gotham but that could be said about a lot of Batman stories. Overall though I didn't really like DKR, I especially didn't like how they used a bomb (that will destroy the city) as a plot device for the conclusion really un-imaginative.

Interesting OP

I still feel it's my second favorite in trilogy; Begins being #1 and Dark Knight coming in third. All are closely ranked and almost even for me though.

Both BB and Rises feel like more intelligent films to me that explore Bruce's sacrifices, drive, and what it means to be Batman more than DK, which is a straight up an awesome explosion of Joker pandemonium.

JB1981

Bane and Talia were just manipulating the passions of the people to stir an uprising. Theatricality and deception.

I was irritated by the movie because I couldn't understand a fucking thing Bane was saying in movie theaters.

Love the actor, but man that was just such a shit character, especially after playing the video games.

but yeah I'd agree with OPs points, never really thought about it but the little political spins in the movie were weird and in-congruent and was really hard to take seriously.

Imo this is hands down a shit movie. So many little things bother me about it and good on you OP for catching some of them. Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were both good movies but this one....I refuse to even put it in my collection.

JB1981

You make good points but the point of the League of Shadows in the Batman universe is to purge civilizations that are corrupt or crime ridden, the Gotham wealthy were taking advantage of the system so the LOS decided to finish the job Ra's al Ghul attempted to do in Begins. In Batman Begins for example the Mob was in control of most of the city and the cops were corrupt so Ra's and the LOS felt it was necessary to wipe Gotham off the face of the map. I will admit it is funny how a wealthy billionaire is necessary to save Gotham but that could be said about a lot of Batman stories. Overall though I didn't really like DKR, I especially didn't like how they used a bomb (that will destroy the city) as a plot device for the conclusion really un-imaginative.

Love the idea that his clean energy project is used by the LOS to hold the city hostage. I didn't like that it forced the final act into a race-against-time rushed conclusion but I didn't have an issue with it as a conceit

Besides how else would a small group of mercenaries hold a city hostage?

Well, given that I love The Dark Knight Rises, I must say that I disagree with some of your premises and your conclusion, but it is well thought out and stated, so cheers for that!

The insertion of his personal politics turns this film into the biggest disappointment of a closer to an otherwise good trilogy since Return of the Jedi.
Return of the Jedi, just like TDKR, is a great movie. So you are right, they are very similar. Just not in the way you mention. :p

A big reason why I didn't like it was because it was edited like shit. Like jarringly bad. The whole thing felt like almost like a rough cut.

FloatOn

I wish two-face survived

and I think Penguin or Riddler would have been a better choice than Bane.

I liked Anne Hathaway as catwoman though

Ralemont

not me
Powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we are initiated, aren't we, JB?

Bane has the best dialogue of any supervillain.

My friends and I play Overwatch and sometimes one of them will play a YouTube video in the background and everyone in the party suddenly hears

"Ahhhh you think DARKNESS is your ally?"

Astral Dog

I thought the point was that Bane was expulsed from the LoS because his metods were considered too "dangerous" and the revolution was little more than a plot to get revenge on Batman for killing Ra and the LoS, at least thats what Bane said.

AxelFoley

Bane has the best dialogue of any supervillain.

My friends and I play Overwatch and sometimes one of them will play a YouTube video in the background and everyone in the party suddenly hears

"Ahhhh you think DARKNESS is your ally?"

LOLOLOLOL

Yeah, for any faults I had with TDKR, Bane's dialogue was definitely not one of them.

Love the idea that his clean energy project is used by the LOS to hold the city hostage. I didn't like that it forced the final act into a race-against-time rushed conclusion but I didn't have an issue with it as a conceit

Besides how else would a small group of mercenaries hold a city hostage?

Yea that's a good point, guess a nuke is the best way to keep a city hostage. I guess one thing that annoyed me too is that Batman: Arkham City had a more interesting set-up to why a part of Gotham was on lock-down than DKR.

Setzer

I love Dark Knight Rises but I hated two scenes.

the Flaming Bat Symbol on the bridge, which must of took a long ass time to prepare for
and Talia's death scene.

Otherwise it's a solid 8 / 10 for me

Dark Knight is a 10
Begins is a 9.

fight me gaf!

I agree.

Zombine

Banned
Nolan should have done Two-Face and Riddler, and have the story be about how Batman is trying to play damage control over the whole "Harvey Dent Was Killed" thing.

I wanted that funeral to be staged so badly. Have Riddler actively working to discredit GCPD and expose Bruce as Batman if he didn't solve his puzzles.

Multiple people let out an audible chuckle when Talia died. That was one of the dumbest things I've seen in years.

MontyMarx

Neo Member
TDKR should have been two films, with Part I ending when Wayne escapes the pit.

Part II could have fleshed out the Gotham-under-siege plot and showed how Wayne made it back to The States.

TDKR should have been two films, with Part I ending when Wayne escapes the pit.

Part II could have fleshed out the Gotham-under-siege plot and showed how Wayne made it back to The States.
Hell no, should've taken place right after Dent's death and should've been about Batman's redemption

This is why 89 is always the best Batman film. It doesn't have its head stuck up its own ass.

I've said constantly that the Nolan movies are for Psych 101 majors. People want to believe that those movies have some hidden depths to them but they can't because they signpost every thought and every intent. Characters don't show you how they feel, they tell you how they feel (and how you should feel). They're one-dimensional. There are no hidden layers when the dialogue has them spouting all of their intentions.

This is why 89 is always the best Batman film. It doesn't have its head stuck up its own ass.

I've said constantly that the Nolan movies are for Psych 101 majors. People want to believe that those movies have some hidden depths to them but they can't because they signpost every thought and every intent. Characters don't show you how they feel, they tell you how they feel (and how you should feel). They're one-dimensional. There are no hidden layers when the dialogue has them spouting all of their intentions.

I disagree. Bale shows how he feels in every movie. In Batman Begins, he lets the bats fly near him and he tries to overcome his fear. In the dark knight, he is very angry at Joker during the interrogation scene. Also, you can see how much he loves Rachel when he says that he will go to her location. In the dark knight rises, watch his face right before he makes the final jump or when he gets stabbed by Talia. Caine shows his emotions, too.

Eiolon

I was surprised by Anne Hathaway's Catwoman and liked her take on it. That's about all I liked from the film. So many plot holes.

Anung

Un Rama
I thought it was stupid how Batman didn't think of fucking with Bane's mask in their first fight.

Yeah it was dumb as fuck how Batman's tactics after escaping the Pit are the same as what put him down there. He just punches Bane in the face. No tactics, or outsmarting him or getting under his skin. He just punches him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom