• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found some old video game drawings from my childhood

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
When I was little, I'd draw up my own game design documents, the maps and enemies etc. based upon my friends... the games in question were almost always RPGs similar to FF1 and Phantasy Star 1. Wish I still had them... nowadays I've taken up to making RPG Maker games.

I mapped the Original Zelda myself until I got a Nintendo Newsletter (Pre-Nintendo Power Magazine) which had the stitch-photographed maps.

I also did some Samus/Metroid stuff. But I think my parents tossed it all years ago.

The sad truth:

Your 10 year old self can probably draw better than I can now.

;-;

Great stuff, especially your ghost Pokemon ! Amazing !

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oh yeah. I used to draw a lot of stuff from or inspired by videogames when I was a tot. Couldn't find any of that now, but I did draw this when I was 14

yoshimitsu_fan_art_by_ryuhza-d3flcub.png

(Tekken 4 era Yoshimitsu skating off of Bryan Fury)

I've gotten a lot better since then, but I've stopped drawing video game stuff. I've also slowed my productivity a lot too. I blame the internet.

Cool, I was 10 around the time when dmc3 came out, so I had tons of drawings of games I liked, dmc3, soul calibur, kingdom hearts. I wish I still had them. I used to just spend all day drawing bullshit, it was all very deviantart.

Neiteio

This is fun! I feel like I can identify all of the tracks in your Mario Kart 64 collection, in order:

- Mario Raceway
- Moo Moo Farm
- Royal Raceway
- Bowser's Castle
- Luigi Raceway
- Kalamari Desert
- Yoshi Valley
- Toad's Turnpike
- Koopa Troopa Beach
- Bowser's Castle
- Rainbow Road
- Mario Raceway

Oh yeah. I used to draw a lot of stuff from or inspired by videogames when I was a tot. Couldn't find any of that now, but I did draw this when I was 14

(Tekken 4 era Yoshimitsu skating off of Bryan Fury)

I've gotten a lot better since then, but I've stopped drawing video game stuff. I've also slowed my productivity a lot too. I blame the internet.

Das rad as fuck yo

Shaneus

the N64 as part of your childhood makes me feel old. I was jamming on N64 in High School.
I was thinking the same thing. The earliest memories I have of drawing video game characters was from Mortal Kombat (because Sub Zero was easy-as-hell to draw) and Jones from Jones in the Fast Lane:
0iep6Xsm.jpg

xPhinehas

the N64 as part of your childhood makes me feel old. I was jamming on N64 in High School.

I got an N64 when I was 7. I'm 24 now. Now how do you feel?

OP - Those are really good for you being 10. I drew Mario a lot when I was younger, mostly just his head because it was easy. As I got older (12-15) did a lot of DBZ stuff. I wonder if I still have any of those laying around...

In 7th grade art we did an animation project where you took index cards and created your own flipbook of sorts on the backs. We had a film camera that could take single frame shots and took pictures frame by frame to create our animations. Mine was based on the first level of Contra (NES) and showed Mad Dog and Scorpion flipping around killing bad guys. I loved that class. It's a shame about my lack of talent.

afoni

Banned
I made an A2 sized Pokemon card of a Charizard evolution when I was about 10 years old.

I called it Charking. He wore a crown.

This thread is almost a double dosage of nostalgia, not only did I draw the odd gaming related pic like that back in the day but those were four of the games I loved on the N64 back then as well, in fact I'm pretty sure I doodled a fair amount of Yoshi's Story and to a lesser extent Bomberman.

I like that I can even tell the settings and situations of most of those drawings, thanks for sharing OP, I don't think I have any of my old stuff lying around, just know that there would be some poor renditions of Banjo-Kazooie.

Those are pretty good :)

I must dig to find my old maps that I did for my NES games.
Hell, I just remember that my cousin lost my Pirates! map, and I had to draw one with each town on every age listed!

I got an N64 when I was 7. I'm 24 now. Now how do you feel?

OP - Those are really good for you being 10. I drew Mario a lot when I was younger, mostly just his head because it was easy. As I got older (12-15) did a lot of DBZ stuff. I wonder if I still have any of those laying around...

Well I am only 7 years older than you so not too bad,

Shion

Ah man, I wish I still had some of my old drawings too.

I used to draw Sonic, Robotnik, Mario, Mega Man and Alis all the time.

Pyccko

I didn't draw much as a kid, but I remember doing some Gen1 pokemon and a super weird Crash Bandicoot. Thank christ those are lost in the childhood archives somewhere.
But yours are actually pretty sweet. You must have burned through markers, haha.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I only have a couple of things online from 2006, when I was 15 and excited from media of Twilight Princess and that cancelled-and-later-would-be-Kirby-Dreamland-Returns phase. I'm no artist.

Kirby_Ages_Page_2_by_Blackarms.png

Diababa_and_the_Monkey__s_Butt_by_Blackarms.jpg

Jintor

mariokart6.jpg

This piece is fuckin' great. The persepctive, gawd damn.

bomberman13.jpg

Also great, brimming with energy.

I'm gonna go look for some old stuff, I must have some drawings around somewhere.

JordanN

Banned
I drew some fanart of Mega Man Legends 3 before it was cancelled. I still have the picture but it's too depressing to look at now.

The most recent fanart I did make though was this 8-bit version of Mighty Switch Force.
iSYXPav0yUuDg.png

I still dream of doing a full recreation.

This is fantastic. I've had a ton of drawings of Zelda, Pokemon and characters/bosses from Tales of Symphonia. Unfortunately we had a house fire in 2006 and I lost lots of cool nostalgic stuff like that.

mango drank

A bunch of people here, OP included, have serious talent / potential.

You guys know you can develop that with lots of time and practice, right? Pro working artists weren't just magically born that way, they spent years practicing and building skill on top of their base talent. It can be done, homies.

Blam:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/

These are great! Op should redraw some of these as an adult
I'm afraid that the progression would only be minimal in some instances...

Well NES was also part of my childhood, but mostly early childhood(4-10).

wEx76YQ.png

Why I though I should color this in colored pencil, I have no idea...
Beautiful stuff though. Great to see you had your talent at an early age.

Old painting i did back in school like 15 years ago... lol.

iboeygYhtursfq.png
Insane, how old were you?

love fat yoshi and is he sweating... eggs?
I... don't know, don't ask me why he's fat either XD

A bunch of people here, OP included, have serious talent / potential.

You guys know you can develop that with lots of time and practice, right? Pro working artists weren't just magically born that way, they spent years practicing and building skill on top of their base talent. It can be done, homies.
Yeah I know. I could become a great artist if I wanted to. I could also become a great pianist if I wanted to. I could also become a pro swimmer if I wanted to. Etc. For some reason I got some seriosuly raw talents for lots of different areas, but either my patience isn't there for it, or I get distracted by another hobby. You could argue that talent for early stages of an hobby isn't real talent, but some of my friends are dead jealous when they find out.

The drawings in the OP have interesting perspectives. many are far away form the action and the focus is mostly on environments. interesting; the star fox one makes me think of one of Orioto's Star Fox picture

These are the only ones I've taken photos of:

Top Bottom