• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I gave 9/10 to WD:Legion - but after playing WD2 I think I need to lower it to 7/10, and give 9/10 to WD2

keraj37

Here is my recent thread regarding WD:Legion.
I was spoiled by the game since it had completely new kind of gameplay to me (WD:Legion was my first WD game).
But after I played 25% of WD2, I must say WD2 is 9/10 or even 10/10 compared to WD:Legion.

There are many downgardes in WD:Legion but what stands out to me most are the characters and story - Wrench is such great likable guy!

What do you think? What is your best WD game - should I go for the WD1?

Gandora64

Neo Member
I have not played Legion, but from the trailers i could say that the protagonist in WD2 have all the abilities of all the characters in Legion. And that made me not think of picking up Legion. if you want to play watchdogs, get 2 and skip Legion.

keraj37

Watch Dogs 1 has one of the worst protagonists of the last 7 years in any entertainment medium. Nobody should play it and my life is worse for having experienced it.
Really that bad? What about gameplay? Same as in WD2? Worse, better?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Watch Dogs 1 has one of the worst protagonists of the last 7 years in any entertainment medium. Nobody should play it and my life is worse for having experienced it.
Watch Dogs had problems, but I completely disagree with this statement
Playing the original shows they completely have gone off course.
Watch Dogs 2 is in-between
I hope they Remaster the original or Remake it

MarlboroRed

Glad to see that WD2 finally gets some recognition for the great game it was. People judged its by its hipster main cast of characters, but the game was actually really fun to play. A real "feel good" title.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This actually made me laugh out loud in line at the store. So true and thank you for that

Ubisoft are certified experts at making unlikable and generic characters at this point.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

People here calling WD1 a fantastic game.. Yikes.

The only redeeming quality that game had going for it were it's supposed next-gen graphics. Then you shoot a bullet against concrete and watch it vanish into oblivion, because the most basic particle effects were MIA.

The game was an embarrassment, nothing else.

Denton

Gorgeous video. I liked 1st way more than 2nd and rather not comment on the 3rd.
All videos by Vosswar are gorgeous, check out the rest even for other games.

Due to this thread I just reinstalled WatchDogs 1 with his mod and it runs in 4K all maxed out at rock stable 60fps and looks still insane. It could have come out this year and would be perfectly fine.

Then you shoot a bullet against concrete and watch it vanish into oblivion, because the most basic particle effects were MIA.

Ah yes, who cares about gameplay or atmosphere, particle effect is more important!

Yes, attention to small details is lacking in Ubisoft games compared to Rockstar's, but that doesn't mean the games can't be great. Every game focuses on different things.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

Ah yes, who cares about gameplay or atmosphere, particle effect is more important!
Oh I'm not saying that's the only thing wrong with the game, far from it. But for a game that was advertised as a next-gen experience, using state of the art tech and a self proclaimed "GTA-Killer" - that's just embarrassing.

I saw that, laughed, then uninstalled.

Last edited:

Denton

Oh I'm not saying that's the only thing wrong with the game, far from it. But for a game that was advertised as a next-gen experience, using state of the art tech and a self proclaimed "GTA-Killer" - that's just embarassing.
It was pretty next-gen for 2014, particle effect or not. It has better shooting and general gameplay than any GTA, more freedom in its missions, great stealth with some innovative mechanics and gorgeous graphics. Pretty good for a studio that never made GTA-like game before (no I do not consider AC to be GTA-likes).

MarlboroRed

It was pretty next-gen for 2014, particle effect or not. It has better shooting and general gameplay than any GTA, more freedom in its missions, great stealth with some innovative mechanics and gorgeous graphics. Pretty good for a studio that never made GTA-like game before (no I do not consider AC to be GTA-likes).
Well I'm glad you were able to enjoy it for what it is. I thought it was nothing but superficial, in just about every aspect.

fatmarco

I just didn't like how in Watch Dogs 2 the characters were cringe hipster punks that seemed to care more about clothing or art and design than you know, hacking. It was once again another Ubisoft game which compromised its world with too many "self inserts" by the devs/artists rather than characters that made sense for the world established in the first. It was tonally inconsistent and ruined the game for me.

I hated Aiden Pierce on my first play through of 1 but I realise now that him being a piece of shit fits the tone of the world. He was a hired gun so him killing felt fine too. Plus the combat in 1 felt incredible.

GametimeUK

I hate to join the Ubisoft hate bandwagon because honestly I do a really want to enjou their games. I usually see "Ubisoft" on the box and it's enough to make me not buy the game (you just lost the game).

Imagine my surprise that I really enjoyed my time with Watch Dogs 2 even though I thought the first game was trash. The cast are a bit too hipster, but they are still super likable and have personality. Soundtrack was great is some of the later missions. I couldn't put this game down. Fantastic experience and I'm genuinly shocked how much I enjoyed it. I'm glad I listened to strangers on the internet who convinced me to give it a go.

As good as it was I think the single game was fine. I have no desire to play anything else from this franchise.

Last edited:

WildBoy

Completed watch dogs 2 a couple of weeks ago. It was really fun to mess around with the AI and systems they made... One of my highlights of gaming last year was finding a particular encounter hard and realising that I could call in the cops to arrest every single guard and then waltz in a grab whatever I needed to complete the mission.... I felt like a hacking god. 9/10 Also you get Nos on every single vehicle you drive once you unlock it....Made cyberpunk seem a no fun, lifeless brain-dead game. Hacking so much better on WD2.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

WTF is WD
B26A6F8AD65B099AD5E3CD5F7D0EB25082DBCAF0

Spaceman292

Banned
Totally agree with this. It's like they just forgot to animate his face throughout the whole game.

Topher

Gold Member
WD2 was great. WD:L was a waste of time. The gameplay was fine, but the lack of story or a protagonist left it feeling incredibly empty. I played a few hours and had enough.

Review numbers are useless.

people score GIF by South Park

Last edited:

Hudo

The most important metric is not some arbitrary number but whether you had fun with the games or not. Who gives a shit if it's a 7/10 or 9/10 or 10/10 or whatever.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Watch Dogs 2 is easily the best entry. Such a fun game.

Watch Dogs 1 is second and Legion was just pure trash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom