• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Got My Wii Component Cables...But...What About My Surround Sound?!

Erm...so guys, I finally got my Wii component cables in. Happy, happy, wonders! Yay! Looks great, wonderful.

...The sucky thing is, I can no longer hook my Wii up to my surround sound system thanks to Nintendo making the cables so that there's very little room to stretch the audio cables apart from the video cables.

So...umm...what now? Is there any kind of extension cable I can buy for the audios?

Thanks in advance ^^

nintendorly said:
So...umm...what now? Is there any kind of extension cable I can buy for the audios?

Yes. Get RCA cables that have male on one end, female on the other. Or you can get RCA couplers (female-female) and use an additional audio RCA cable.

Pud

Banned
Really really easy answer. Some stores sell an extension cable for RCAs... but go to a dollar store that sells cables, and do the following:

purchase couplers like these:
RCA-TWIN-COUPLER-2XF-2XF-GOLD.jpg

then purchase a 6 or 12 foot set of stereo RCA cables (obviously like this)
EB032203_stereo-cables-rca-to-rca-knurled-rca-plugs-on-ends-12'.gif

And voila, extension cable, cost: $2.

Pud

Banned
Wario64 said:
I thought this thread was gonna be about optical out

I bet you cracked your knuckles thinking you'd be able to take an easy cheapshot! :lol
Extending RCAs is easy, though. And much cheaper than optical, of course :D

Kewk

Banned
nintendorly said:
Erm...so guys, I finally got my Wii component cables in. Happy, happy, wonders! Yay! Looks great, wonderful.

...The sucky thing is, I can no longer hook my Wii up to my surround sound system thanks to Nintendo making the cables so that there's very little room to stretch the audio cables apart from the video cables.

Thanks in advance ^^

Well most TV's these days have an audio out on them. I used the component audio cables to go into the tv then I wet out from my tv to the receiver.

Kewk said:
Well most TV's these days have an audio out on them. I used the component audio cables to go into the tv then I wet out from my tv to the receiver.

I wish that would work, but for some reason, the audio outs on my 56" Sony have never worked. Not sure why.

Pud

Banned
nintendorly said:
I wish that would work, but for some reason, the audio outs on my 56" Sony have never worked. Not sure why.

Go to your TV audio menu, and turn the 'speaker' off, and turn the change the variable audio to 'fixed'. They'll work :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is ProLogic II supposed to be really bad? I know it's not going to be super crisp and discrete like a DD stream, but the positional effects sound like junk through my system. :(

nubbe

Personally, I think Pro LogicIIx dose a great job. I also find the sound image more appealing than most DD tracks.

dogbowl

works good on mine (fairly recent Onkyo receiver). Just finished up TP and the surround effects were pretty distinct in that game. Even Wii sports has pretty good surround sounds...

nubbe

Sounds different between Stereo mode and Surround mode in games.

Which people tend to forget to change.

nubbe said:
Personally, I think Pro LogicIIx dose a great job. I also find the sound image more appealing than most DD tracks.

I'm sorry, but this is weak. This is 2007. I love my Wii, but let's get with the times Nintendo. Zelda is a HUGE release, and honestly, this game should be DD.

drohne said:
does PLII performance even differ between receivers? it's a standard, isn't it?

You would think so, but based on the feedback I've seen here and in other forums there must be a difference.

I have a decent Onkyo receiver with DPL2 and DTS:NEO (as well as DD EX and DTS). The DPL2 soundtracks in GC games like Eternal Darkness, RE4, and Rogue Squadron sound great on my setup. It's not as crisp or defined as Xbox/Xb360 DD5.1 thru optical, but it sounds good. There is plenty of separation and the rears have plenty of directional sound effects coming through. If you have your receiver and sub set up right there is plenty of bass. Honestly it's pretty darn good and a huge improvement over non DPL2 titles.

Some people claim that it's no better than stereo for them, so I'd have to guess their equipment or settings are at fault.

Top Bottom