• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just beat FF7 Remake Intergrade. Do I need to play Crisis Core Reunion before FF7 Rebirth?

Deft Beck

I never did beat FF7 Crisis Core on the PSP. Got burned out on the sidequests when I was younger. I have access to the remake and I've heard good things.

Otherwise, I guess I could play the 2nd FF16 DLC.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Only if you want to, there is a character fleshed out in Crisis Core that appears in FFVII Rebirth

you can skip it as well, or play it later(or watch the cutscenes), its a good game but its PSP roots are apparent

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Play the Remake. I don’t exactly see the point unless you’re a hardcore FF7 fan. I imported Crisis Core back when it launched way before the NA release. Played through it without understanding anything besides action sequences. I didn’t have to catch up on anything in order to enjoy the Remake and Rebirth.

Deft Beck

Play the Remake. I don’t exactly see the point unless you’re a hardcore FF7 fan. I imported Crisis Core back when it launched way before the NA release. Played through it without understanding anything besides action sequences. I didn’t have to catch up on anything in order to enjoy the Remake and Rebirth.

You misunderstood me. I always meant the Crisis Core remake, not the PSP original.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Crisis Core gives nice character development to Zack and Cissnei also there which makes return in Rebirth but other than that its not mandatory to enjoy Rebirth.

Dazraell

Gold Member
It's not required to enjoy the sequel, but if you would play Crisis Core, you will definitely take some out of it as Rebirth have some ties to it

There are a handful of references and characters who are non-essential. So no, you don’t have to for story purposes (there’s not a ton of payoff).

But CC Remake is great and worth playing on its own.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Gameplay is fun IMO, simple but I enjoyed that. Genesis made me hate the story. Of you're going to do it though, play the psp version. However you do that is.your own prerogative.

Dynasty8

No Crisis Core is terrible and it'll make you hate the characters. Probably has the goofiest and most cringe writing ever to a game. Skip it and go straight to Rebirth.

I never did beat FF7 Crisis Core on the PSP. Got burned out on the sidequests when I was younger. I have access to the remake and I've heard good things.

Otherwise, I guess I could play the 2nd FF16 DLC.

Thoughts?

You should play it. It's fun and fleshes out several characters, including Zack. If you aren't loving it, you stick with the main story and it will be over in 10 to 12 hours. There are some throwaway characters and complete nonsense too, but you can safely ignore all of that.

Zephir

Only if you want to know why everybody gets a look of pure fear everytime Remake/Rebirth mentions LOVELESS

Neff

For the story? Not really, especially since you've already beaten remake part 1 and that HOLY SHIT moment at the end will never have the same impact without first playing CC. CC's story is basically just a lame retelling of FF7, although the ending is fantastic. Regardless of the story, it's a great game in its own right and a lot of fun.

Only if you want to know why everybody gets a look of pure fear everytime Remake/Rebirth mentions LOVELESS

Genesis may have ruined it, but Rebirth redeemed it forever.

Last edited:

zapper

I would recommend reading a recap or watching videos of Crisis Core, because Rebirth is really huuuge and personally I would never be able to play all 3 at a short distance.
then you don't miss anything good about crisis core, apart zack and some returns I believe that in rebirth the most important parts are still relived (I haven't finished rebirth yet since launch, 100h in chapter 12)

Gambit2483

If you absolutely love the world and lore of FF7 then yes, give it a go. It gives a decent amount of backstory on several characters and groups, including a major "wtf" subplot that happens in Rebirth.

However, If you don't have the time to play it but still love the story/world of FF7 then just watch the story on YouTube.

Sentenza

I just beat this as well (like, ten days ago just before starting Ghost of Tsushima).

I have to say that even as someone who played the original and wasn't that much in love with it, I enjoyed it way more than I expected to.

On a side note, I still have to complete the Yuffie DLC because I find her vaguely insufferable as a character.

Top Bottom